Follow

Cyborg

Character » Cyborg appears in 2943 issues.

Half man, half machine - all hero! After a near fatal incident, Victor Stone was cybernetically enhanced by his father. He now possesses the ability to communicate, manipulate, and interface with nearly all forms of technology. As he is constantly upgrading, he promises to defend the future from any threat. He is also a founding member of the Teen Titans and in some continuities, the Justice League.

Off My Mind: Five Reasons Cyborg is a Good Fit for the Justice League

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By Mega_spidey01

mister terrific won't work cause he an atheist.

steel is lame go watch the movie he sucks.

cyborg is cool haters gone hate

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#102  Edited By KidSupreme

its all good!

Azrael66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Azrael66

Bring back J'onzz ffs. Seriously. NOW.

illmatic06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By illmatic06

"The reason that most Hollywood movies are s***ty: focus groups. They show the movie to focus groups and let them vote on wether they "like" the ending. Usually they take something interesting and edgy and they dumb it down to "happily ever after". Butterfly Effect leaps to mind (see the director's cut ending... it's WAAAY cooler). Point being: letting the fans decide the direction of the story will end you up with a horrible mish mash of crap. If you are intrigued (or disgusted) by the turn the story is taking, I think that's really the entire point of creating a story. I was pissed that Darth Maul was killed but if they let the fanboys decide then there would be a Darth Maul clone army running around. Relax long term readers, you're sounding like Run DMC fans who hate on Drake. It's 2012. Some things might change from 1950. " Agreed 100%. The purpose of the new DC was the change the status quo and inject some new life and new stories, but it seems that many are unable to shed the past and move forward. This is 2012. Should the team exist in the same manner as they were debut in the 50s? Should the premier team of the world consist of 6 white guys and 1 white woman? Just on the basis because " That's how it always been!". Is this socially repsonsible? Does this make good business sense where they sell DC comics, videos, toys, and movies throughout the world? Do you want to sell a product where there is 80% of your customers may not be able to identify with no one on the team?

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Video_Martian

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@Illuminatus said:

I would choose Martian Manhunter over Cyborg any day of the week without hesitation.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#106  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I like Cyborg being a part of the Justice League. What I don't like is forgetting his connection to the Teen Titans. It's called "character development." I much prefer the idea of Victor growing up and entering the big leagues.

CodeComiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By CodeComiX

Cyborg is just tooooo cool!! Having him on the team will definitely give him a chance in the spotlight, and that can only be a good thing for comics in general, different heroes appeal to different people, personally I look pretty similar to Victor Stone and have always thought it would be awesome to have cybernetic parts (like iron man but just taken one step further!) so I love Cyborg!! And his role in the latest Justice League movie must mean that DC see him as a character with a lot of potential!!

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By JamDamage

don't really care. After Johns leaves will the team stay the same or will recieve or lose other memebers. No one knows yet.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

I'm glad he's aprat of the new JLA, but what was Starfire talking about someone plz explain?

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@JamDamage: Yeah but even when Johns leaves the new origin he created won't just leave with him.

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I see the reason for swapping Cyborg for J'onn J'onzz, but my Magnificent Seven still includes The Martian Manhunter; a shape-shifter. One of it's identities is Detective John Jones, another is a black female S.T.A.R. labs scientist. Did anyone else read Waid's Year One or hear the voice actor on the animated series and not wonder why J'onn wouldn't be a black man, or a woman? I'm sorry about implying Cyborg is a token member, or that his membership is race-based; J'onn is an extra alien. The science-fiction era is over; the next "frontier" is technology. So, Victor's membership is a smart move. If it were racial, Black Lightning would have done just fine. I just prefer Cyborg as a Titan and The Manhunter as a JLA-er. That should be used better on the team in The New 52. Moving him to a different book isn't going to get me to buy that book. Sorry, rant over.

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By AskaniSon295

I Love Martian Manhunter on Stormwatch he brings diversity to an already diverse team. Justice League already has an alien on their team how many do they need? Martian Manhunter himself has said he's never been in the Justice League in the New52 Universe another awesome choice by D.C. Now to all those people who don't like this change they should pay Jim Lee to re-draw all the old Justice League stories from the 60's and 70's because apparently you don't want new ideas you just want re-prints with new art seriously embrace the creativty that is the New52 or just pick up an old dc comic and write a pridictable sequal to an great original story draw it colour it and be amazed how bored people are by your incrediablely boreing waste of time. I Like Good Comics. I Love Great Comics. But I hate any idiot who rejects creativity for repeation. Comic books should Evolve. Characters should grow. If that doesn't happen this industry will die. And the Art should Allways be the best.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AskaniSon295: Wiping things out and restarting them isn't evolution.

Cyborg didn't evolve from a Teen Titan to a Leaguer, he just stumbled straight into the roll.

And I'd be ok with MM on Stormwatch if he had gone over there AFTER his time on the League, but his League time has been eliminated as well.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#114  Edited By Bestostero

i dont know...i will always associate Cyborg with Teen Titans and Martian Manhunter with Justice League...i think he's an ok fit, but if i had it my way it wouldnt be like this...lol

Avatar image for continuity_crook
    Continuity Crook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel. Dark Knight. Amazon Princess. Now that Cyborg is officially part of the "Big 7" he needs a tag, right? What's his colorful nickname? Man-Machine? Tech Titan? Cyber Sentinel?

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#116  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

Vic on the JLA is not the problem, or should be. He has paid his dues, and almost all the The New Titans have been on the roster at some point in time by now.

However what makes this addition seem "weird" is that not only is in th accompany of the Super Seven, but actually replacing one of them.

So I don't think folks really think Cyborg does not belong in the JLA when he clearly does, but is he among the JLA elite of the Super Seven

Maybe if there were 2 new faces it would have been such a abrupt change, but I am sure the creative team wrestled with this for about 2 mins lol

Avatar image for marssolesurvivor
    Marssolesurvivor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't get me wrong. I love Geoff's work on Teen Titans, Green Lantern, Superman and others. I also think Cyborg has for a long time now been deserving of a JLA membership and before the "New 52" I was glad to see him, Dick and Donna, graduate to the JLA.

However...Cyborg is not FOUNDING League member material. Especially the way he's portrayed here as getting involved with the other 6 as just dumb luck. Arguments have been made about when Bruce Timm did the animated series and replaced Aquaman with Hawkgirl. I got the reasoning behind it, but even that I didn't like.

What makes Martian Manhunter special is not just his powers, but also his experience. He's not just a Green Superman, but he actually LIVED on Mars and had a wife and daughter and lost all of that. He brings a lot of knowledge and experience to the table. For me, J'onn has always been the perfect blend of superman and batman, and I have always felt that he got robbed for being the only founding member of the League to not have his own book. However, I was able to overlook that for the longest time because he was SO involved with the League, it almost felt like the League WAS J'onn's book. And now they've taken that from him and stuck him into Stormwatch. Disgraceful in the very least.

However, perhaps there is more to play out with J'onn. It does still seem kind of convenient that the others were all fighting these Parademons at the same time. Also as much of a master strategist as Darkseid is, did he really not know about the likes of Superman and the Flash on Earth? Did he really not know that there was a Green Lantern in that Sector who claimed Earth as his home planet? Highly unlikely.

Maybe J'onn had something to do with that. Perhaps Darkseid was responsible for the Destruction of Mars in the new 52 and J'onn helped to manipulate things so he could get some form of vengance against the Tyrant of Apokalips. Then again, maybe I'm grasping at straws.

Cyborg is a great character sure. He does deserve to be a part of the League. But to say he's more deserving the J'onn or other Leaguers like Ollie, Ray or Carter...or even Ralph or Dinah? That is completely disgraceful to the characters, to the fans, and to the League itself.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#118  Edited By DarthShap

@AskaniSon295 said:

I Love Martian Manhunter on Stormwatch he brings diversity to an already diverse team. Justice League already has an alien on their team how many do they need? Martian Manhunter himself has said he's never been in the Justice League in the New52 Universe another awesome choice by D.C. Now to all those people who don't like this change they should pay Jim Lee to re-draw all the old Justice League stories from the 60's and 70's because apparently you don't want new ideas you just want re-prints with new art seriously embrace the creativty that is the New52 or just pick up an old dc comic and write a pridictable sequal to an great original story draw it colour it and be amazed how bored people are by your incrediablely boreing waste of time. I Like Good Comics. I Love Great Comics. But I hate any idiot who rejects creativity for repeation. Comic books should Evolve. Characters should grow. If that doesn't happen this industry will die. And the Art should Allways be the best.

I also hate the rejection of creativity over repetition but to me, that is the main problem with the reboot. Basically, we will get the same character development we already got but with small details changed, such as Cyborg being a founding member.

I keep bringing it up but that is quite symptomatic of the New 52. Almost every couple was broken up so that they could tell once more the story of how Clark and Lois found each other. Same goes for Barry and Iris, Green Arrow and Black Canary, Hawkman and Hawkgirl/woman, Guy Gardner and Ice, Superboy and Wonder-Girl, Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown, Beast Boy and Raven...

Where is the character growth when all you do is reboot their previous character development so you could it again, with only details changed?

GhostRider29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By GhostRider29

I've always liked Cyborg. I know he's not as good as others, but he's one of the very few DC characters I enjoy. I hope he stays there.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#120  Edited By SUNMAN

yeah Cyborg's a great fit on this team. Perfect for the relaunch. He works better than MM for the DCnU, and future movies etc.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#121  Edited By Outside_85

Generally i despise the term that a New Teen Titan 'graduates' to the Justice League...that was Young Justice's thing, Teen Titans was about not sucking it up to the League and could easily have been an adult team of their own, not a League training camp.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#122  Edited By Miss_Garrick

Also, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter who is on the team as long as Aquaman is cool.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#123  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I like Cyborg on the team and he's actually becoming one of my favorite characters in DC. Plus I agree that he will be a great addition to the team due to all of the things he is able to do. Not to mention that, depending on how his body works now, he might need sleep like the rest of the team and could be like the team's eye in the sky, monitoring the earth from the Watchtower while the other heroes tend to their other responsibilities.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like too many people are misunderstanding the naysayers. I see too many people chiming in that Cyborg 'Is a good fit for the Justice League' or that he's 'Earned the position.' We're not saying he hasn't. Most of us are perfectly okay with the inclusion of him as a core member. But he hasn't earned a FOUNDING position, especially not with the rebooted origin they gave him where he just stumbled his way into founding the most iconic superhero team within seconds of becoming a super. In the DCnU, he HASN'T earned even his League membership yet, he never did any of his stuff with the Teen Titans.

Some of us would even be okay with J'onn leaving the Justice League and Cyborg filling his now empty slot. What's unacceptable is taking away J'onn's most recognizable achievement and giving it to Cyborg. Especially when DC took away nearly everything that made CYborg deserving of the slot. How many of you supporters of this want Cyborg to have this spot because 'He's earned it?' Why did he earn it? BECAUSE OF HIS YEARS WITH, SUPPORTING, AND THEN TRAINING THE TEEN TITANS. Now he doesn't have any of that anymore. It's only nostalgia that gives him the right.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#125  Edited By ReVamp

@Illuminatus said:

I would choose Martian Manhunter over Cyborg any day of the week without hesitation.

I'd counter the points (on the Article) but I don't see all that much point...

Marssolesurvivor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@War Killer: @DarthShap: I do not disagree with either point. A reimagining would have been nice. The fact that they have stayed SO close to the original ideas is why it's making this harder to digest in the first place.

@Outside_85: Fair enough.

Marssolesurvivor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Mighty Monarch said:

It seems like too many people are misunderstanding the naysayers. I see too many people chiming in that Cyborg 'Is a good fit for the Justice League' or that he's 'Earned the position.' We're not saying he hasn't. Most of us are perfectly okay with the inclusion of him as a core member. But he hasn't earned a FOUNDING position, especially not with the rebooted origin they gave him where he just stumbled his way into founding the most iconic superhero team within seconds of becoming a super. In the DCnU, he HASN'T earned even his League membership yet, he never did any of his stuff with the Teen Titans.

Some of us would even be okay with J'onn leaving the Justice League and Cyborg filling his now empty slot. What's unacceptable is taking away J'onn's most recognizable achievement and giving it to Cyborg. Especially when DC took away nearly everything that made CYborg deserving of the slot. How many of you supporters of this want Cyborg to have this spot because 'He's earned it?' Why did he earn it? BECAUSE OF HIS YEARS WITH, SUPPORTING, AND THEN TRAINING THE TEEN TITANS. Now he doesn't have any of that anymore. It's only nostalgia that gives him the right.

Amen brother.

gangly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By gangly

@The Mighty Monarch: I understand your (and others') arguments, but the crucial thing to realize about this new Justice League is that there are NO founding members.

These heroes basically stumbled upon each other while dealing with various threats. It just turned out that it was all Darkseid related, and when they saved the day they were honored by the president as a team because they (including Vic) were the ones who helped. They didn't create the team themselves. There was no decision process about who is good enough to be a founder. They even all seem to agree at the end of Justice League #6 that they don't want to be a team. But when they're needed again, they answer the call.

It doesn't matter that Cyborg didn't "earn" the position, because it didn't even exist until he was there. But he's there now, and I'm glad to have him.

Avatar image for dementedtheclown
    dementedtheclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the issue from the 2nd picture. Interesting theres a Howard the duck lamp in it.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By DarthShap

@gangly said:

@The Mighty Monarch: I understand your (and others') arguments, but the crucial thing to realize about this new Justice League is that there are NO founding members.

These heroes basically stumbled upon each other while dealing with various threats. It just turned out that it was all Darkseid related, and when they saved the day they were honored by the president as a team because they (including Vic) were the ones who helped. They didn't create the team themselves. There was no decision process about who is good enough to be a founder. They even all seem to agree at the end of Justice League #6 that they don't want to be a team. But when they're needed again, they answer the call.

It doesn't matter that Cyborg didn't "earn" the position, because it didn't even exist until he was there. But he's there now, and I'm glad to have him.

This is in-universe thinking. What I disagree with is the composition of the team on an editorial level. Cyborg is a character who has historically been a Teen Titans while the Martian Manhunter has historically been one of the founding members of the JLA. Ever since Identity Crisis, DC and Johns in particular kept hinting that the seven would get back together soon. Hal & Barry came back, then the Martian Manhunter and Aquaman and finally Batman. The Rebirths pushed Barry and Hal while Brightest Day even seemed to create a dynamic for Aquaman and the Martian Manhunter.

The thing is, with the New 52, they just came that close to the legendary big seven, replacing without any reason the Martian Manhunter, despite the fact that he was available (and the big seven for the first time in over two decades), with Cyborg who has close to no relation to the team.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@gangly said:

tcJackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By tcJackal

I would choose Cyborg over Martian Manhunter any day of the week without hesitation.

magicman620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By magicman620

I feel like that the "Super Seven" comment was a hit to Marvel's "Fantastic Four". If terms of that being a funny name.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Superdork

@Mega_spidey01 said:

@gangly said:

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DarthShap said:

@gangly said:

This is in-universe thinking. What I disagree with is the composition of the team on an editorial level. Cyborg is a character who has historically been a Teen Titans while the Martian Manhunter has historically been one of the founding members of the JLA. Ever since Identity Crisis, DC and Johns in particular kept hinting that the seven would get back together soon. Hal & Barry came back, then the Martian Manhunter and Aquaman and finally Batman. The Rebirths pushed Barry and Hal while Brightest Day even seemed to create a dynamic for Aquaman and the Martian Manhunter.

The thing is, with the New 52, they just came that close to the legendary big seven, replacing without any reason the Martian Manhunter, despite the fact that he was available (and the big seven for the first time in over two decades), with Cyborg who has close to no relation to the team.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By huser

@InnerVenom123 said:

I'm sorry, I just...

Who the flying hell would shout "You're the world's greatest superhumans!" in a crowd?

I know, I know.

It's the freaking Justice League.

But STILL.

Yeah you guys are the greatest might already be incredibly hokey, but the superheroes part drops an anvil on the whole thing.

Actually, that was my only thing against the big Sam Jackson./Nick Fury reveal at the end of Iron Man. Fury has no business saying superhero in that universe at that time. "You think you're the only person who can fly?" Maybe. At least it calls back the granddaddy of them all, even if it's in another universe.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By huser

@Kozmik said:

How come replacing Martian Manhunter with Cyborg is so crude and unusual to some of you when no one had a problem with Bruce Timm replacing Aquaman with Hawkgirl back in the Justice League animated series. Timm sought to bring his own politically correct twist to the original 7 just like Johns is doing now. Does that mean it shatters everything we know about the League? Does it mean that Cyborg can never work as a Leaguer? Hawkgirl worked- so can he.

As far as the Teen Titans go: Lobdell have set enough hints and references in both his Teen Titans and Red Hood and the Outlaws titles. We know there was a previous iteration of the team, and Cyborg was a member.He is mentioned as one of Starfire's past teammates during a conversation with Roy Harper.

My theory: The Justice League decided to oversee the formation of the first Teen Titans and decided that Cyborg would be the liaison between both teams given his age (on par with the Titans' age group) and experience (taking on a den mother role in the team).

Why the "politically correct"? Why not just Timm's own twist? He's certainly earned that much credit given the changes he's made have largely ranged from interesting to just plain awesome.

Mutant4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Mutant4life

I've never read an issue of Justice League before the New 52, so I'm not bothered by this.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Cyborg has just got upgraded.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Superdork said:

@Mega_spidey01 said:

@gangly said:

Yeah, and the other League foundings were any different? We KNOW they're going to form the Justice League from this encounter, so your counterargument doesn't really hold up.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By ssejllenrad

@InnerVenom123 said:

I'm sorry, I just...

Who the flying hell would shout "You're the world's greatest superhumans!" in a crowd?

I know, I know.

It's the freaking Justice League.

But STILL.

Pffft! If venom suddenly saved you from a villain, you'd shout that to him... OK maybe not... But I'd like to think you would. :p

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Onemoreposter

Cyborg's cool. Never really read too much on Dick's Titans before they became the Outsiders. Still, MM should be there. Heart of the League and all that. It's not like the JLA has never had a line up with more than 7 members. Not worried though. MM will be on the team before long I'm sure.

Tacowingnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Tacowingnut

"The other thing is because he was bathed in energy from a mother box and was able to control them, it could be possible that he has the ability to open portals as well. This could be a way for the team to teleport to wherever they need to be. They won't have to worry about a teleportation device on the Watchtower. The team having teleportation abilities due to a mother box makes more sense than someone having simply invented a device."

I don't know why, but when I read this, I couldn't get the image out of my head that Cy was going to be the token "portal monkey" for the team, like mages from WoW.

"Hey, Cyborg? I don't have gold, but if you 'port me to Guatemala, I'll put in a good word so you can assist more 'big boy' meetings."

rigormortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By rigormortis

Typo: "Technolgoy", which coincidentally sounds like the nemesis of a Jewish superhero.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#145  Edited By SavageDragon

@Illuminatus: Word man. Your totally right Martian Manhunter is one of the most powerful beings on earth and hes super smart and a telepath that can keep a psychic link between all members. Nuff said.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

After reading the first arc, I'm totally convinced now that Victor is fit to be up in the big leagues now. There is so much he can offer...but for some reason Im thinking that the fact he's infused with Apokoliptian energies and connection to the mother box can lead to future problems as well as advantages. After all, he does have that connection now, but what's to say Darkseid won't use that to his advantage in the future?

Avatar image for blacklightning13
    Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Victor is great but c'mon. He hasn't earned anything. He only just became a superhero and now he just became a founding member. I think it would be good for him to earn it. I have for a very long time wanted him and Nightwing to join the league but its as if he is a completely new character and you added him to the league.

So where does J'onn fit in? He is an amazing character who I would love to be in the league. I just hope he joins up soon.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#148  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Blacklightning13: J'onn was already a member in post reboot, he just quit or something.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#149  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

He's on the team because he's black.That much is obvious.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackArmor: Nope. He said he has never been a member in a recent Stormwatch issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.