Follow

Cyborg

Character » Cyborg appears in 2940 issues.

Half man, half machine - all hero! After a near fatal incident, Victor Stone was cybernetically enhanced by his father. He now possesses the ability to communicate, manipulate, and interface with nearly all forms of technology. As he is constantly upgrading, he promises to defend the future from any threat. He is also a founding member of the Teen Titans and in some continuities, the Justice League.

Off My Mind: Five Reasons Cyborg is a Good Fit for the Justice League

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

In the "New 52" many things have stayed the same but there have been some minor tweaks. We have just seen the formation of the Justice League and it does differ from the team's original origin. We still have seven powerful heroes banding together to thwart a big threat but one member is different. Instead of Martian Manhunter, we have Cyborg on the team.

Many have wondered why the decision was made to have Cyborg on the team instead of Martian Manhunter. J'onn hasn't been left out in the cold as he has a place in Stormwatch. Cyborg and Martian Manhunter are in no way similar characters so there is some logic in making the change.

Thankfully that name didn't stick.
    Thankfully that name didn't stick.

With his role in the recent events in JUSTICE LEAGUE #6 and based on his character in the past, here are five reasons why Cyborg belongs on the Justice League now.

== TEASER ==

Intelligence

In the pre-New 52, Cyborg was a genius. His parents experimented on him in trying to find ways to boost IQ levels. There hasn't been absolute confirmation that this is still the case but the chances are some of that still holds. His parents are still at S.T.A.R. Labs so it's possible they still experimented on him.

No Caption Provided

In the New 52, not only did he do well in school, he was also a great athlete. Intelligence is one of the greatest assets a team can have. We all know Batman is the World's Greatest Detective and it's because of his cleverness that he is able to come up with a contingency plan against pretty much every hero and villain.

As smart as Batman is, it doesn't hurt to have another brain on the team. This isn't to say that the other members don't have brains but Victor's knowledge and experience with his father's studies could provide a different perspective that would be valuable during a battle.

Cyborg's Origin, Technolgoy and Connection to Apokolips

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

His father was working on analyzing a mother box when a portal to Apokolips was opened. Victor was caught in the explosion and his body was exposed to energy from Apokolips. During their battle against Darkseid, Cyborg was able to 'hear' what the Mother Boxes had to say. He could actually speak to them and make them open or close a boom tube to Apokalips.

Being able to access technology from Apokalips could be a dangerous development but it also could provide them with the upper hand when facing Darkseid or any other big threat. Hopefully this is something that will be investigated further.

Cyborg's Dad

No Caption Provided

Speaking of Cyborg's dad, with his position at S.T.A.R. Labs, the team will be on friendly terms with the place. Between Batman's tech from Wayne Enterprises, Aquaman's Atlantean devices or any Kryptonian technology Superman might have, it will be good to have other scientist and equipment they could borrow should the need arise.

After Victor's accident, Silas mentioned that he had "technology recovered from across the globe." He's studied it all and has become an expert on them. As long as he supports the idea of super-humans, he will be a great ally to have.

Tech Support on the Field

No Caption Provided

With all the technology in the modern age, there's bound to be new tech being used by enemies during battles. Victor will be able to give the team an edge in figuring out how to handle or deal with any of it. Any time new devices are found, chances are Cyborg will be able to analyze them on the spot. If he can 'talk' to the Mother Boxes, perhaps he'll be able to 'talk' to other pieces of technology as well.

The other thing is because he was bathed in energy from a mother box and was able to control them, it could be possible that he has the ability to open portals as well. This could be a way for the team to teleport to wherever they need to be. They won't have to worry about a teleportation device on the Watchtower. The team having teleportation abilities due to a mother box makes more sense than someone having simply invented a device.

Cyborg Brings Youth to the Team

No Caption Provided

He's the new kid on the block. He's the rookie. This gives the team a younger and fresher outlook on things. While the others may have more experience with their powers and abilities, often looking at things for the first time with a fresh look is the key in solving problems.

As for the public's perception of the team, before their battle with Darkseid, superheroes were feared and hunted. He may be mostly robotic parts but being of a younger generation will help to make him (and the team) more appealing to younger people (and possibly comic readers as well). He was also already popular due to his athletic abilities on his football team. Having an all-American image will help with the team.

What About the Teen Titans?

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #6

It's hard to say at this point what Cyborg's full history is. Did he ever serve on a team with Robin, Kid Flash, Aqualad, Starfire, Raven and others? We saw Red Robin call his team the Teen Titans in the middle of a battle because "it just felt right" but that doesn't mean there wasn't a Teen Titans before or that the original team we know fought together under a different name.

Cyborg does seem more at home with the Titans but this could be seen as a step up for him. Between the 'five years ago' in the first arc in JUSTICE LEAGUE and the present, it's possible he took some time away from the League to have adventures with the other. Regardless, now it is time for everyone to accept Cyborg's position as one of the big heroes. He's been around since 1980 but never really got the respect he deserved. We should be seeing more of him in the future as his story in the "New 52" is just beginning.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By InnerVenom123

I'm sorry, I just...

Who the flying hell would shout "You're the world's greatest superhumans!" in a crowd?

I know, I know.

It's the freaking Justice League.

But STILL.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

I would choose Martian Manhunter over Cyborg any day of the week without hesitation. 

dr.x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By dr.x

Ok let's think about this for minut 1. when Cybrog was intorduce it was in 1970s tv show the superfriend (as voice by Earne Hutson from Ghostbusters) not 1960's tv show teen titans , were in the show he was part of the superfriend aka Justice League , 2. though Martian Manhunter was in brave and bold #26 , unless you are a superfan boy from way no one real knew until the tv show Justice League and Justice League Unlimted ,so my point is it works for now

hitechlolife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hitechlolife

Cyborg added some much needed spice to the first arc. It added something new, and it was interesting to see how they tied him into things. I like Martian Manhunter but I think for a modern take on the team Cyborg makes a lot of sense.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By DarthShap
    Cyborg does seem more at home with the Titans but this could be seen as a step up for him. Between the 'five years ago' in the first arc in JUSTICE LEAGUE and the present, it's possible he took some time away from the League to have adventures with the other. Regardless, now it is time for everyone to accept Cyborg's position as one of the big heroes. He's been around since 1980 but never really got the respect he deserved. We should be seeing more of him in the future as his story in the "New 52" is just beginning.

It is a flawed logic. The character is good, definitely not my favorite New Teen Titans but I like him a lot, especially since he returned to the Titans as their leader in the last decade but the question is: does he belong?

A lot of DC characters are very good but the thing with this league is that except for Cyborg they are the original members and it is not by coincidence. Geoff Johns did not sit down and thought of names randomly and finally came up with these six. He deliberately picked these six because they are the original and are such icons.

Cyborg is not that iconic yet and as a result, the team feels incomplete without its Martian Manhunter and his replacement seems out of place.

Had Johns not picked those other six and preferred to try something different, like Giffen and DeMatteis post-Crisis in their awesome JLA/JL/JLI run, no one would have complained and Cyborg would have fit right in. That is not what he did and as a result, it just feels weird.

And let's be honest, he is used as a token black guy. Had Aquaman always been black, I really do not think Johns would have replaced Martian Manhunter by Cyborg.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DarthShap

@dr.x said:

Ok let's think about this for minut 1. when Cybrog was intorduce it was in 1970s tv show the superfriend (as voice by Earne Hutson from Ghostbusters) not 1960's tv show teen titans , were in the show he was part of the superfriend aka Justice League , 2. though Martian Manhunter was in brave and bold #26 , unless you are a superfan boy from way no one real knew until the tv show Justice League and Justice League Unlimted ,so my point is it works for now

1. Except that it was in the 80's, after his first appearance in New Teen Titans and I am really not sure any argument about who belongs in the JLA should be made with Superfriends. By that logic Gleek the monkey, Wendy, Marvin and the freakin Wonder Twins belong in the team too. Don't get me wrong, Cyborg definitely belongs in a Justice League. Just not this one, and same goes for any Teen Titans.

2. Martian Manhunter was not just in the League's first appearance, he was in almost every version of the team. That is not a super fanboy, that is just knowing stuff and reading comics.

BatClaw89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BatClaw89

god dam diversity

GamerGeek360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By GamerGeek360

To be honest, as long as Hal and Bruce are on the team, it can be anyone else helping them out. I kid. I'm just happy the first arc is done and we can finally see some Justice League things where everyone knows each other. I mean, a couple issues of them hating each other is fine, but 6?! Let's just move on to them fighting as a team!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NightFang3

@Illuminatus said:

I would choose Martian Manhunter over Cyborg any day of the week without hesitation.
    UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@InnerVenom123 said:

I'm sorry, I just...

Who the flying hell would shout "You're the world's greatest superhumans!" in a crowd?

I know, I know.

It's the freaking Justice League.

But STILL.

my thoughts exactly,i think Johns took a lil detour from his senses on that one or almost the whole arc,anyway in regards to the cyborg thing i think its a welcome change n could make for some good stories,plus accordin to stormwatch #1 Martian Manhunter had his time with the justice league,now he's too good for them and joined "the professionals" in stormwatch,a team which I think-Sucks!!

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LaserLambert

I just think it's weird to have just ONE GUY who wasn't a classic member. If you got two guys on the team that weren't from the start, then it would be less of a sore thumb situation.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DarthShap

@LaserLambert said:

I just think it's weird to have just ONE GUY who wasn't a classic member. If you got two guys on the team that weren't from the start, then it would be less of a sore thumb situation.

Exactly. And the fact that he is not even a "legacy character" like a different Green Lantern or a Flash (basically, Morrison's first JLA) does make it even weirder.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Nerx

I prefer a green swiss army knife than a blue one

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By the_tree

I don't mind Cyborg being on the team, or his new connection to Apokolips.

But I do dislike that he's a founding member, it just doesn't feel right.

Kozmik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kozmik

How come replacing Martian Manhunter with Cyborg is so crude and unusual to some of you when no one had a problem with Bruce Timm replacing Aquaman with Hawkgirl back in the Justice League animated series. Timm sought to bring his own politically correct twist to the original 7 just like Johns is doing now. Does that mean it shatters everything we know about the League? Does it mean that Cyborg can never work as a Leaguer? Hawkgirl worked- so can he.

As far as the Teen Titans go: Lobdell have set enough hints and references in both his Teen Titans and Red Hood and the Outlaws titles. We know there was a previous iteration of the team, and Cyborg was a member.He is mentioned as one of Starfire's past teammates during a conversation with Roy Harper.

My theory: The Justice League decided to oversee the formation of the first Teen Titans and decided that Cyborg would be the liaison between both teams given his age (on par with the Titans' age group) and experience (taking on a den mother role in the team).

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By KainScion

there are dozens of characters than can do what he does.......BETTER. sucky choice DC just for the sake of it. you're really desperate arent you? yes you are.

JimmyAlbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JimmyAlbo

I think Cyborg is the connection between The New 52 and Flashpoint. Maybe this is the reason because cyborg is a member of JLA.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DarthShap

@Kozmik said:

How come replacing Martian Manhunter with Cyborg is so crude and unusual to some of you when no one had a problem with Bruce Timm replacing Aquaman with Hawkgirl back in the Justice League animated series. Timm sought to bring his own politically correct twist to the original 7 just like Johns is doing now. Does that mean it shatters everything we know about the League? Does it mean that Cyborg can never work as a Leaguer? Hawkgirl worked- so can he.

The big difference between Timm's and Johns is that Hawkgirl was not exactly the only difference there was. On top of Hawkgirl replacing Aquaman, the Flash was Wally West and the Green Lantern was John Stewart. Here, you have the exact same team and only one change. Also Hawkigirl/Hawkwoman was far from new to the JSA/JLA. She might not have been a founding member but she had been a long time member and so had Hawkman, so it really made sense and did not come completely out of the blue. Finally the other major difference is that it is a TV adaptation and fans are way more open to changes in the continuity there. Pretty much everybody loves what Timm and Dini did but I am pretty sure no one would not want it to become the actual comic book continuity.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Eyz

What About the Teen Titans?

It's hard to say at this point what Cyborg's full history is. Did he ever serve on a team with Robin, Kid Flash, Aqualad, Starfire, Raven and others? We saw Red Robin call his team the Teen Titans in the middle of a battle because "it just felt right" but that doesn't mean there wasn't a Teen Titans before or that the original team we know fought together under a different name.

Continuity? Shmucktinuity!

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DarthShap

@JimmyAlbo said:

I think Cyborg is the connection between The New 52 and Flashpoint. Maybe this is the reason because cyborg is a member of JLA.

No, it is obviously the other way around. Johns wanted to have Cyborg on the team and with that in mind, he made him Earth's Superman in Flashpoint so that he would seem legitimate in the New 52. That is a smart move but I am just not sure it works. To me, it felt really forced because there were at the very least thirty characters more suitable to lead the DCU and Johns really had to find a reason for each of them not to in order to impose Cyborg.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LordRequiem

I find martian manhunter too similar to superman, obviously he does lots of other stuff, but always seems to fly around a be strong, with a bit of telepathy. Leave that to supes,a nd now in terms of powers and abilities there's a bit more diversity.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DarthShap

@LordRequiem said:

I find martian manhunter too similar to superman, obviously he does lots of other stuff, but always seems to fly around a be strong, with a bit of telepathy. Leave that to supes,a nd now in terms of powers and abilities there's a bit more diversity.

Bad argument. Wonder-Woman is way more similar to Superman than the MM is. Superman also has the powers of Aquaman and the Flash (except for brain waves to sea life and the connection to the Speed Force). The fact of the matter is Martian Manhunter was diversity in the team in terms of powers.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#23  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Why dose every one hate Cyborg? What the f&ck is wrong with having him on the JLA?

Mrakbarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mrakbarman

As long as theres no plastic man, I dont care whos who in the team.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DarthShap

@spiderbat87 said:

Why dose every one hate Cyborg? What the f&ck is wrong with having him on the JLA?

I do not hate Cyborg. I like him, just like I like pretty much everything about the Wolfman Perez run on New Teen Titans (except f'ing Terry Long, THE worst character ever by far). I do not even mind that he is on the team that much.

I just do not think there is an argument for him being there, replacing the Martian Manhunter. I do not like it either when Johns or here Comicvine try and shove it down our throat that he does fit in without backing it up with proper explanation.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @DarthShap said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I do not hate Cyborg. I like him, just like I like pretty much everything about the Wolfman Perez run on New Teen Titans (except f'ing Terry Long, THE worst character ever by far). I do not even mind that he is on the team that much.

I just do not think there is an argument for him being there, replacing the Martian Manhunter. I do not like it either when Johns or here Comicvine try and shove it down our throat that he does fit in without backing it up with proper explanation.

How exactly does he not "fit"?
    Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

This is almost entirely just a list of assets he has, none of it really explains why he's a good fit, just why he's a good enough hero. It explains why he's a good choice for a League Member, bot why he's a good fit for a FOUNDING member. Because there isn't any explanation other than the obvious diversity.

What's even more frustrating is that Martian Manhunter got shafted. He's now NEVER been a member of the Justice League. He's been one of the single most consistent members of the League over the years, it's just.... so 'wrong' to remove him like this.

And come on, we all know there was a previous Teen Titans. Red Robin also mentioned 'This might be the shortest incarnation of the Teen Titans.' If that doesn't confirm there was a Teen Titans before, then I don't know what does. OH WAIT, yes I do, it would have to be RED HOOD AND STARFIRE DISCUSSING THE OLD TEEN TITANS.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DarthShap

@spiderbat87 said:

He is a Teen Titan from the 80's without any sort of history with the team among the legends from the 30's-40's and 50's who not only founded it but spent decades in it and I would say the exact same thing about Beast Boy, Starfire or Raven.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By bloggerboy

I think it's interesting they replaced such a powerful member like the Martian Manhunter with someone who just got into the job of being a superhero.

Sure you can argue that Cyborg is the token black of the group but I also think he gives the team a real vulnerability (in a good way) Even with the reboot he's still a Titan in the mids of JLA (again not meant as an offense to the Titans, just a fact). I mean MM's telepathy is really powerful and to disable that will give writers headaches in a book which is more action oriented. Don't know about Stormwatch and MM's role there though.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @DarthShap said:

@spiderbat87 said:

He is a Teen Titan from the 80's without any sort of history with the team among the legends from the 30's-40's and 50's who not only founded it but spent decades in it and I would say the exact same thing about Beast Boy, Starfire or Raven.

Well there was a reboot so none of that stuff is canon, whats so wrong with him being JL instead of a Titan?
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderbat87: He's from a whole different generation of superheroes. Sure the continuity is changed due to the relaunch, but you can't erase years people spent reading and 'feeling' the character as one from a different 'social circle' of superheroes.

It's not that he doesn't make a good Justice League member, it's that he doesn't make a good founding member.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DarthShap

@spiderbat87 said:

Well there was a reboot so none of that stuff is canon, whats so wrong with him being JL instead of a Titan?

So after the reboot, we should just forget about everything? No, it does not make any sense. I get that it is no longer in continuity but that does no mean that everything is fine by that logic (had the Martian Manhunter been replaced by the Wonder Twins, you would not be saying that either). The very fact that Johns chose the other six and finished the arc with a reference to Staro encourages us to still care about the past. It is not like the Giffen-DeMatteis great run where everything is different, Johns made one change and it is just not a good one.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@The Mighty Monarch: It was said in Stormwatch issue 1 that MM was a part of the justice league,its as hes fighting apollo,he recognizes him as "the martian manhunter from the justice league".

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @DarthShap@The Mighty Monarch: they said having to aliens on the the team with similar powers is redundant so no matter how much anybody moans MM was never going to be on the team so instead they opted for a younger character, I don't see the problem, people just hate for the sake of hating  

@UltimateSMfan said:

@The Mighty Monarch: It was said in Stormwatch issue 1 that MM was a part of the justice league,its as hes fighting apollo,he recognizes him as "the martian manhunter from the justice league".

Not really, later on MM said he had never been a member just associated with them it's just that normal people just don't know the difference because it's not like they display the roster in the local news paper.
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@UltimateSMfan: It was in Stormwatch #6 that MM corrects him and says he was never on the Justice League. Or maybe #5. The point is, it happened.

Joe_Amazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Joe_Amazing

This of it this way. It's like how Marvel introduced the Sentry into the Marvel Universe. It feels forced and unnatural; like it doesn't belong there. They just shoehorned Sentry into the Marvel continuity, claiming that he was "always there", when long time Marvel readers knew this just wasn't true.

This is Cyborg in the JLA.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BatteredArmor

@hitechlolife said:

Cyborg added some much needed spice to the first arc. It added something new, and it was interesting to see how they tied him into things. I like Martian Manhunter but I think for a modern take on the team Cyborg makes a lot of sense.

QFT

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderbat87: Because Superman could shapeshift, become intangible, and was telepathic. A whole lot of overlap there.

Hell, Green Lantern and Cyborg are both humans with an alien technology augment that gives them a huge arsenal so maybe they shouldn't be on the same team either.

Cosmic_Hobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cosmic_Hobo

@The Mighty Monarch: Yes, there is a lot of overlap, they are both Aliens who have chosen to protect earth, can fly, have super strength, endurance, speed etc and heat vision. They are incredibly similar characters, power wise , MM just has a few extras.

I tend to think DC is a bit to attached to the idea of 'legacy' heroes, so I think actually having a change is good, although I'm not a fan of Cyborg at all, so I'd rather they'd gone a different direction

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cosmic_Hobo: It's just that, Martian Manhunter doesn't get enough respect as it is. I mean this site had a quest to find some of the most underrated characters, this included Martian Manhunter because he's listed as one of the bottom 5 characters in terms of power. This is the guy Superman said he's be afraid to fight. His series' never last long either. And now they've taken away one of his few major attributes, being a founding (And one of the most recurring) member of the Justice League.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @The Mighty Monarch said:

@spiderbat87: Because Superman could shapeshift, become intangible, and was telepathic. A whole lot of overlap there.

Hell, Green Lantern and Cyborg are both humans with an alien technology augment that gives them a huge arsenal so maybe they shouldn't be on the same team either.

why are you complaining to me, I didn't say it DC did!
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderbat87: Because I'm not just hating for the sake of hating. I'm not hating on Cyborg at all, I just don't think he's a good fit for a founding member, certainly nowhere near Martian Manhunter.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @The Mighty Monarch said:

@spiderbat87: Because I'm not just hating for the sake of hating. I'm not hating on Cyborg at all, I just don't think he's a good fit for a founding member, certainly nowhere near Martian Manhunter.

So what "fits" a founding member? Or would you have complained about anybody replacing MM?
    UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@spiderbat87 said: @The Mighty Monarch said:

@UltimateSMfan: It was in Stormwatch #6 that MM corrects him and says he was never on the Justice League. Or maybe #5. The point is, it happened.

@UltimateSMfan said:

Not really, later on MM said he had never been a member just associated with them it's just that normal people just don't know the difference because it's not like they display the roster in the local news paper.

Ah Hell No!! That Sucks!!!! i din kno that! this be some serious shit! frgt not being one of the founding members(which is like complete Bull!!),but never even being on the team??!! no wonder everyones so pissed(now including me) whos clarks alien confidant now,have they even interacted? damn this five yr gap shit! DC shld release a graphic freakin encyclopedia filling in that gap.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DarthShap

@spiderbat87 said:

@DarthShap: @The Mighty Monarch: they said having to aliens on the the team with similar powers is redundant so no matter how much anybody moans MM was never going to be on the team so instead they opted for a younger character, I don't see the problem, people just hate for the sake of hating

How am I hating anything here? Comic vine says Cyborg is a good fit, I happen to disagree. Is your argumentation so weak you need to start name calling?

You do not see the problem, great but it does not mean it does not exist. The very fact that Comic Vine would write this article, that Geoff Johns would make Cyborg Flashpoint's Superman or that The Flash would clearly say "Sure you belong" is proof enough it is really not obvious to a lot of readers.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderbat87: I'll be honest, I definitely would complain about anyone replacing Martian Manhunter. But Cyborg had his whole history through other teams. He grew as a character so much, from a Teen Titan into a Leaguer. Other non-legacy Titans struggled to outgrow their role as Titans, but Cyborg shed it so well.

But a lot of it comes down to the fact that he's just in a different 'class.' I'm not necessarily saying Cyborg's not 'good enough,' but he's just part of a different grouping, a different generation. I mean, even look at it in the comic. Everyone else is fully grown adults, who have are still already experienced superheroes. Cyborg just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time. Post DCnU he EARNED his League membership, now he gained founding membership through dumb luck.

kcaj78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By kcaj78

Is Cyborg a Good Fit for the Justice League?

NO!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I like Cyborg's addition, it balances out the team power, I mean let's face it, you have Superman who can move mountains, Wonder Woman, who's strength is comparable to Supe's Flash who can outrun light itself, Aquaman who tosses around armored trucks and summons freakin sea monsters, Green Lantern who can do ANYTHING his imagination comes up with, and Batman who's...Batman. Do we really want another mountain lifting, super fast, almost invulnerable person who can also read minds, turn invisible, intangible and shapeshift?? I know the JLA is suppose to be the most powerful superhero team around, but bringing someone with a slightly lower power scale can make the stories much more interesting imo.

Avatar image for sundipped_superman
    Sundipped_Superman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eh? cyborg just feels out of place in the new JLA, you don't just replace the Martian Manhunter with the cyborg as a founding member of the JLA. This was probably one of the only things i hated about the DCnU

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By chalkshark

Steel would have been a better fit. He would have provided the intelligence & technological savvy, as well as engineering skills that Cyborg doesn't possess. I think it's important to stress that Cyborg, as smart as he may be, did not design & build his equipment. Steel did. Steel also had prior history with the Justice League. He was even in the cartoon. His presence on the team would not have been as jarring as Cyborg's is. He also looks way cooler.

For the record, Green Lantern's ring provides all the field tech support anyone could ever need. I'll give you youth, but if they were looking for a young hero who could honestly stand shoulder to shoulder with the iconic members of the team, they should have chosen Firestrom. His power set is unique, and is in no way duplicated by any other member. He also has history with the League, and even appeared in that same Super Friends cartoon that Cyborg did.

I get that Cyborg is Geoff Johns' pet character of the moment. Since he's the writer of the series he can pretty much do whatever he wants, and as long as it's selling... and it is.... no one will gainsay him. That's all fine, but stop trying to sell me on Cyborg being the logical choice, or the right choice, or the best choice, for the team. He's not. If he was, then everyone would be on board with his membership. I guarantee you that when Johns tires of being the writer of Justice League and, inevitably, leaves the book, so will Cyborg.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.