Follow

Cyborg

Character » Cyborg appears in 2940 issues.

Half man, half machine - all hero! After a near fatal incident, Victor Stone was cybernetically enhanced by his father. He now possesses the ability to communicate, manipulate, and interface with nearly all forms of technology. As he is constantly upgrading, he promises to defend the future from any threat. He is also a founding member of the Teen Titans and in some continuities, the Justice League.

Interview: David Walker Talks CYBORG and What's Coming Up in his New Series

• 55 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Back in February we had the chance to talk to several DC creators about the new titles and directions beginning in June, after Convergence. When the New 52 started, we saw a new start for the Justice League. As the stories continued and the characters were allowed to grow, many noticed that one of the members, Cyborg, was left without his own ongoing series. All that changes on July 22 as David Walker will be writing the new series with Ivan Reis and Joe Prado doing the art. We spoke with David about the series and how he sees Victor Stone.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: What took Cyborg so long to get his own book?

DAVID WALKER: I really can’t answer that. The funny thing is, when DC approached me I said, “Okay, yeah. Has he ever had his own series?” I think four or five years ago they did a miniseries. I know that Ken Lashley was one of the artists on it. There’s been a few stories here and there but I don’t know why. To me, that’s beautiful. That means there’s more character to play with. I really don’t know why. But it’s really because it took them this long to find me.

CV: That’s right.

[laughs]

CV: What’s going to be the direction of the book?

DW: The direction of the book is going to be…I mean, this is the pitch and what we’re working on, and now it’s the fine tuning. It’s really about Cyborg—Vic Stone finding himself. The thing we keep forgetting and we’ll look at him from the context whether it’s the New 52 or the original incarnation, when he became Cyborg, he was eighteen-years-old. He was still a teenager and he’s thrust into this world of greatness. There’s been a few stories here and there, but I don’t think there’s been much in terms of getting into that inner-conflict he has.

When you look at some other characters that have sort of been touched by the gods, in that sense of the archetype, they can all hide behind their secret identities. There’s no hiding for Vic. There’s no ever leading a normal life. He’s always going to be ‘the other,’ and that’s a huge part of what draws me to the character. That’s part of what’s driving the story. In a lot of ways, it’s like he’s like the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz. It’s like he wants a heart. He already has a heart. He just doesn’t realize it. That’s a lot of what I’m trying to do. I’m surrounding him by a cast of supporting characters and some are pulling him towards his humanity. Others are more interested in him as Cyborg. It’s that conflict, that duality between, not just man and machine, but that conflict between how we connect with our own humanity.

This interview is different than if it was over the phone or emails. I mean, I have pants on. If it was over the phone, I wouldn’t have pants on. If you had emailed me the questions, I’d be like, “Oh man, I gotta type up these answers.” There’s this connect that’s very human. You’re seeing my terrible posture right now and that’s what I want to sort of get into. We live in a day and age where that’s lost. We look at somebody’s Facebook or Twitter and think we know them. You look at Vic and think, “Oh, I know him. He’s a guy trapped in a tin can suit and can never get out.” But is that who he really is? That’s the driving thing, the humanity of Vic Stone.

CV: So Cyborg has bad posture?

DW: Yeah. I was thinking, we need to design chair legs that extend from his back because he would break a chair. Those are the impractical questions I ask all the time.

CV: Will we see what he does in his down time? Pretty much since he’s joined the Justice League, since he became Cyborg, he’s kind of been stuck in the Watchtower on monitor duty since he’s connected to everything. Is he going to be able to get out?

DW: Yeah. He’s gone. He’s in Detroit. He is at S.T.A.R. Labs. It’s like I’m shooting for the moon and we’re slowly scaling things back, but it’s him going, “I’m done. I’m done being a superhero. I just wanna be a regular guy.” How does this guy be a regular guy? It’s him working at S.T.A.R. Labs and really discovering, for the first time, the hero that he really is. A lot of times in order to discover the hero you truly are, you have to step outside of yourself. In the original pitch that I made, I said, “Let’s look at the creation of Cyborg and everything that happened in the New 52 as his hero’s journey. Let’s start this series after that’s over.” Now, he’s come home. He has the magic elixir. He’s fought with Superman, Batman, and everybody. Now he’s going home and he’s going to discover who he is outside of all of these other factors. What we’re still ironing out is some of the post-Convergence players that will be involved. No matter what, I’ll make it great. What can I say?

CV: Will he be able to have a normal civilian life? Could he get a fake/prosthetic face or something to cover all the metal?

DW: That’s a good question. He tried that years and years ago. There was a story where they tried to do that. It’s on my list of notes of things to explore, but I’m looking at him in terms of his cybernetics being a manifestation of a disability. There’s people that can’t change their disabilities. Does he want to hide or does he want to be out there in the open with it. That’s what we’re still playing with. The thing is, when the character was created, he was total sci-fi in 1980, right? If you look at where prosthetic technology or where biomechatronics are, there are bionic people out there right now. It doesn’t look anything like what he looks like. Maybe we need to rethink certain aspects of how he interacts with his body and how his body interacts with him and how it defines him. We’re still playing with it. There are a couple big things I have planned that I haven’t even told everybody. I’m going to shake the pillars of DC with my plans.

CV: Interesting. Is his dad still going to be around?

DW: His dad is a major player. So is Doctor Thomas Morrow. The Metal Men will be in it for a bit. There’s also some new characters I’m bringing in because he doesn’t have a huge cast of supporting characters. Right now we’re playing around in Detroit. I’m looking at what Detroit is like as a city now and it’s going through some really interesting things that are reflective of what’s going on in America in terms of urban centers that have fallen on decay and are now being reclaimed by corporations and urban renewal. There’s a huge disparity. You see it up in San Francisco a lot, when you’re in downtown San Francisco. There’s a high end store over here and then a bunch of homeless right outside.

CV: What about Billy Batson/Shazam? In JUSTICE LEAGUE they formed a friendship.

DW: I will bring in Shazam at some point, but right now, the focus is really on Cyborg. I keep saying it’s really on Vic Stone. There’s a couple bits I have with Shazam in there. Whether or not they stay, initially, up front really depends on we’re still trying to figure out, from an editorial standpoint, who’s going to be available in what books at what times and not have it become the Cyborg/Shazam Show. I’m not interested in doing that right now because Shazam has had so many incarnations—Bily Batson, Captain Marvel, where as there’s only really basically been two versions of Vic, three if you count Teen Titans Go! All three of those are still not as fully developed as they could be.

CV: Will there be any follow up on what he went through in FOREVER EVIL with Grid taking him over.

DW: Yeah, I’m playing off a lot of that sort of stuff and really looking at like the technology that was used to build him, stuff going on in the Red Room, and really getting into this concept of his dad, Doctor Morrow, and everyone at S.T.A.R. Labs is doing. They’re playing with stuff that they shouldn’t necessarily be playing with. We’re examining how is that going to manifest itself into a threat and do you even know what your son’s arms are made out of? Do you know what’s keeping him alive? Do you fully understand that?

It’s toying with the things that we do, I’m toying with the things that parents do to their kids in that “Well this is for your own good. This is for the benefit of society.” Is that what’s really going on. So we’ll see some interesting stuff like that.

CV: I know everyone’s excited about this. They’re always like, “Why doesn’t Cyborg have his own book?!?” So, no pressure.

DW: No, it freaks me out because, really, I was not expecting the response that I got, a lot from my friends with kids. Again, I didn’t know their kids liked comics. What it is, they watched Teen Titans Go! It was the same with the kids watching the Justice League cartoon with John Stewart. They loved John Stewart and then the Green Lantern movie came out and they were like, “Wait a minute, how come it isn’t John Stewart?” I’m cognizant of that. Teen Titans Go! is for a younger audience. I want to make sure that those kids that were introduced to that show a few years ago and now are twelve or thirteen years old, they’re reading a book about someone that’s a few years older than them but it’s the same as a seventh grader reading a Harry Potter book or something like that. I want to give them something they can relate to. That concept of being trapped in a reality that’s not what you wanted, which is his body, I think is fascinating. We all deal with that in some capacity or another. So, we’ll see what happens.

And we will see what happens in July. Here's the solicit for the first issue:

CYBORG #1

Written by DAVID WALKER

Art and cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO

1:25 Variant cover by TONY HARRIS

On sale JULY 22 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

The machine that gives Cyborg his powers is evolving! The only problem is that machine is his body and he has no idea what’s causing these changes!

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

I like the new look

I'm not sure how I feel about the "chair legs" thing. I guess I'll have to see it to fully understand what he means.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

May pick this up

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super excited for the new series. I think it's about time cyborg got his own series. I day he of all people deserves one. Him and shazam in my opinion

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I'm not sure how I feel about the "chair legs" thing. I guess I'll have to see it to fully understand what he means.

I think it has to be taken literally, Cyborg is handicapped after all, it may not impede him like a wheelchair might. But his surroundings still has to be accommodated to the fact that he weighs the same as maybe 4-5 normal people due to all the metal inside of him. The chair legs is simply referring to a chair needing more legs in order to be able to carry him.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. I'll definitely give the first issue a chance. I hope this series does well; all those people who have demanded a Cyborg book for years better buy it :)

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sasquatch888

sounds interesting

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Couldn't be happier.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Like the streamlined looked without all of that bulk that made him look like War Machine.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Looking good Vic!!! You're on your way.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
    HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Steel going to show up in this thing?

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJ_Was_Here

Ivan Reis drawing it? Yeah, I'll pick it up.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tattacus

Never ever cared for Cyborg. But might as well give this a go.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want an arc where he regains his fully human body and changes his hero name to Fleshy Guy.

WizendSage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are they going to give him back his manhood, or are they going to keep him a eunuch?

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm super pumped for this book, and having Reis on the art just sweetens the deal.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Happy that Vic finally will have an ongoing

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That blatant Iron Man wannabe pic.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Yessss finally.

~MiB

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay on the artist, nay on the writer.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I will check out the first issue.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I hope he's more Adam Jensen and less Optimus Prime.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't know enough about David to judge him, but from this interview, I can see that he really does understand the character & has a pretty great journey mapped out. Hopefully he stays for a few years on the title, and not only 1, or less.

bobthened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the new look I prefer it when he is mostly machine.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8 issues tops.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Titanbreaker

Was not interested before this but now willing to give it a chance. Liking the blue lights on him reminds me of his Teen Titans (TV) look.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was kinda hoping it'll be closer to teen titans look for some reason

_ANDY_CAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awesome

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Season
    Best Season

Yes, with Firestorm not having his own book and Captain Marvel being... well ruined, I'm glad I can have a book about one of my big 3 (drawn by Ivan Reis no less). Speaking of which I hope we can see FIrestorm possibly appear since I loved seeing the friendship between him and Cyborg in the Super Friends. I will admit I was disappointing when I heard Geoff Johns wouldn't be writing this, but I understand since he has to work on production of the TV series, the movies, writing the Flash, and writing Justice League while being chief creative officer. That being said, I'm very much ok with that, I think this writer will do a good job, the Shaft comic (which I picked up to get ready for this) was really really good, and this interview says all the right things. Can't wait to see the Metal Men, and Cyborgs many rouges (as well as some new ones I'm sure).

So yeah...

HYPE!
    HYPE!
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By dernman

I do not like the new look. Should be bulkier. Now he just looks like someone in a suit. I feel he's lost something.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Nice! Now, we can see Cyborg Superman gets his solo series.

stanIMatiON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By stanIMatiON

I think this may be a good time for exploration of this kind of character. With all the technology we use these days, there's plenty of questions and conversations you can get into about humanity, if we are loosing it, and depending on technology dumbing human beings down. Might be a good read if executed properly. Let the guy have a love life and don't try to castrate him for Christ's sake!

On another note, no more black male characters burned and fused with technology or super strength. Please.

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd check this out, but I think I'm one of the only people who hates Ivan Reis's artwork.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BooYAH!!!!!

Just take my money DC

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Cyborg looks a lot less terrible. I'm glad to see they aren't aiming for completely awful when it comes to his look anymore.

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By theMightyMODOK

Ivan Reis art- sold.

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
    51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

This whole time I've been wondering how old he is now, and I'm still holding out hope that there will be a TITANS book in the future consisting of Dick Grayson, Starfire and (the FINALLY revealed) Donna Troy. Here's hoping the former is answered, and the latter happens in real life, and not just the visions I have when I huff paint get overexcited. Definitely picking this up.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just keep shinning Vic!

Loading Video...

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ThanosIsMad

Aside from comedic Cyborg from the original Teen Titans cartoon, Cyborg is quite possibly the most boring cyborg in fictional history to me, and I watched Cyborg 009.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

This book sounds really promising. I can't wait.

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

Like the new look, I'll give this one a shot.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kidchipotle

Maybe I'll give it a shot. Ivan is the draw for me.

marcohtx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably my most anticipated new title after Convergence. I love how he tackling all of the things that people have been holding against his character, like not enough solo stories. Plus I'm glad to see him get his own supporting cast.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Already told my LCS to add it to my pull list!

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having a Cyborg ongoing was questionable whether his series would be able to sustain sales, which I believe that's the answer to DC being hesitant to release his solo title around the relaunch.

@captainmarvel4ever: I, too was disappointed that Geoff Johns wasn't going to be the writer of Vic's ongoing, but having David Walker on the book would be a good start to see good creative ideas. Ivan Reis on the book is a huge plus. I'm adding this to my pull list.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll definitely read the first issue and go from there.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Darling_Luna

What ? changing his look to appeal to the Humanists ? Sold out DC.

I'm having reasonable hopes. I'm not expecting a jaw buster title, but just to be solid. And I know this is well wishing but I hope he goes longer then Batwing

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jbreen

Looking forward to this title.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Finally!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.