Follow

Cyborg

Character » Cyborg appears in 3002 issues.

Half man, half machine - all hero! After a near fatal incident, Victor Stone was cybernetically enhanced by his father. He now possesses the ability to communicate, manipulate, and interface with nearly all forms of technology. As he is constantly upgrading, he promises to defend the future from any threat. He is also a founding member of the Teen Titans and in some continuities, the Justice League.

Cyborg's Cool Redesign Thread

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Superdork

Post all cool Cyborg redesigns in this thread!

I'll start:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Captain13

@Superdork said:

No Caption Provided

Post all cool Cyborg redesigns in this thread!

I'll start:

This reminds me of

No Caption Provided

But, yeah, I think that that Cyborg redesign is headed in the right direction.It would be cool if it had his logo on it.

No Caption Provided
    Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Mega_spidey01

cool pics. like the redesign

DarkChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By DarkChris

The redesing is cool, but reminds me of Deus Ex: HR. Way too much.

Lee's redesign was cool, true to the character history and actually felt like it was in 21st century.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Captain13

@DarkChris said:

The redesing is cool, but reminds me of Deus Ex: HR. Way too much.

Lee's redesign was cool, true to the character history and actually felt like it was in 21st century.

No way. Lee's design is waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy to clunky. As technology gets more advanced, it gets smaller--something that we're seeing with everything from iPods to laptops to Iron Man. Cyborg's current look feels like something from the late 80s, but it is a slight improvement over his old ones, which isn't saying much since the old ones were some of the worst costumes in all of comics.

It doesn't make a lot of sense either. If man-made machines like the terminators can have prosthetic skin, then a person with alien grade tech should be able to have access to that too. That's what I think at least.

Awful
    Awful
    Awfuller
    Awfuller
    Awfullest
    Awfullest

Another problem with his old and current costume is that is sexually neuters the character. He is litterally naked all the time and has no penis. I can't imagine how much further you could visually degrade a male character.

I think that for Cyborg to take a step in the right direction, his powers need to become more similar to Blue Beetle's. That would allow him to strike a good balance between being human when off duty and having some of his more known features when he's powered up.

Poontanglife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Poontanglife

@Captain13 said:

@Captain13: I like his redesign, im not thinking clunky im thinking ''sleak tank''.

Iron Man for me is a more agile type of robotics design, which fits Tony Stark as he is a smart and smooth engineer. Where Victor Stone is a huge guy, football player - more aggressive. His new armor makes him bigger, it looks sleak to me but it still feels heavy like a tank which suits him well.

@DarkChris said:

Another problem with his old and current costume is that is sexually neuters the character. He is litterally naked all the time and has no penis. I can't imagine how much further you could visually degrade a male character.

Maybe they made ''it'' bigger, stronger more durable, gave him a little upgrade if you will.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Captain13

@Poontanglife said:

@Captain13 said:

@Captain13: I like his redesign, im not thinking clunky im thinking ''sleak tank''.

Iron Man for me is a more agile type of robotics design, which fits Tony Stark as he is a smart and smooth engineer. Where Victor Stone is a huge guy, football player - more aggressive. His new armor makes him bigger, it looks sleak to me but it still feels heavy like a tank which suits him well.

@DarkChris said:

Maybe they made ''it'' bigger, stronger more durable, gave him a little upgrade if you will.

I disagree with your reasoning for why Vic needs more armor. So he's a foot ball player... So what? He can be a big buy without having an excess amount of technology--look at Batman in Arkham Asylum or Superman or even Flash (when he's drawn by certain artists). And I don't think that he's more aggressive than Iron Man in fighting style or personality. Both primarily use long range weapons for combat. You could argue that Vic should be more aggressive as an athlete, but you could also argue that Iron Man is more cut throat as a business man. Plus in all of his previous appearances, Vic has always been portrayed as a relaxed, warm guy who goes through bouts of depression due to his appearance.

On his sexual aptitude: Do you think that he can even remove any part of his costume? It's not even a costume. That's his physical make-up--his anatomy. It's not like Batman or Flash or Superman, where they put it on an take it off. Cyborg is always the way he is--he doesn't where clothes because he's so divorced from normal human physiology that he doesn't think that he needs it--like Bugs Bunny or Dr. Manhattan. He has a public identity only because he has no other choice. It doesn't even make sense as to why Sarah Simms and Sarah Charles would date him when he's clearly not able to become physically close to anyone.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Captain13 said:

I think that for Cyborg to take a step in the right direction, his powers need to become more similar to Blue Beetle's. That would allow him to strike a good balance between being human when off duty and having some of his more known features when he's powered up.

Your kinda ignoring the point and premise of Cyborg, asking for Cyborg to be able to switch back and forth between his robotic ad human form is like asking for Batman's parents to come back to life. Cyborg is meant to be one of those few heroes who can never have a secret I.D, he can never go back to being human he doesn't know what he would have accomplished if it wasn't for the accident that's his entire point. Being a hero isn't his choice he's not doing it because its cool or fun he's doing it because he wants to help and because its one of the only things he can do with his life. Cyborgs a tragic hero

Poontanglife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Poontanglife

@Captain13: @Captain13 said:

@Poontanglife said:

@Captain13 said:

@DarkChris said:

I disagree with your reasoning for why Vic needs more armor. So he's a foot ball player... So what? He can be a big buy without having an excess amount of technology--look at Batman in Arkham Asylum or Superman or even Flash (when he's drawn by certain artists). And I don't think that he's more aggressive than Iron Man in fighting style or personality. Both primarily use long range weapons for combat. You could argue that Vic should be more aggressive as an athlete, but you could also argue that Iron Man is more cut throat as a business man. Plus in all of his previous appearances, Vic has always been portrayed as a relaxed, warm guy who goes through bouts of depression due to his appearance.

On his sexual aptitude: Do you think that he can even remove any part of his costume? It's not even a costume. That's his physical make-up--his anatomy. It's not like Batman or Flash or Superman, where they put it on an take it off. Cyborg is always the way he is--he doesn't where clothes because he's so divorced from normal human physiology that he doesn't think that he needs it--like Bugs Bunny or Dr. Manhattan. He has a public identity only because he has no other choice. It doesn't even make sense as to why Sarah Simms and Sarah Charles would date him when he's clearly not able to become physically close to anyone.

I guess its a matter of taste, i like his more robot heavy look, but i dont see what you mean about the 80s look to it, if it was 80s i would expect more blocks and sharp corners... anyway, i didnt mean that it suited him as if he was an aggressive character, but as he is a huge football player and have been called a ''tank'' of a man before, i like that the armor looks more aggressive, as i said before it reminds me of a sleak tank.

And my comment on his schlong.. that was mostly sarcasm ;).

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Captain13

@BlackArmor said:

@Captain13 said:

Your kinda ignoring the point and premise of Cyborg, asking for Cyborg to be able to switch back and forth between his robotic ad human form is like asking for Batman's parents to come back to life. Cyborg is meant to be one of those few heroes who can never have a secret I.D, he can never go back to being human he doesn't know what he would have accomplished if it wasn't for the accident that's his entire point. Being a hero isn't his choice he's not doing it because its cool or fun he's doing it because he wants to help and because its one of the only things he can do with his life. Cyborgs a tragic hero

I agree that Cyborg is a tragic hero, but he doesn't need to be the way he is now to continue to be a tragic hero. He's a person who always loved sports and competition. He had big dreams for his future. Not allowing him to compete with normal humans because he's too advanced and giving him the weight of a new responsibility to save the world would continue to make him a tragic hero. It's like a college football player with a kid who's about to become an NFL player, but who damages his knee and can no longer play. If that guy were to do whatever it takes to protect and support his kid--then I think that that guy is a tragic hero. Cyborg simply having powers and working for STAR Labs could be motivation enough to be a hero. Flash isn't physically damaged, but he still steps up to fight crime. So does Green Lantern.

The motivation for Cy to be a hero won't go away if his parts are internal or if he can switch between his forms like the Engineer or Blue Beetle. And names don't need to be spot on. Green Lantern is not a Lantern. Flash is not a beam of light. The Avengers don't avenge anyone.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Captain13

@Poontanglife said:

@Captain13: @Captain13 said:

@Poontanglife said:

@Captain13 said:

@DarkChris said:

I guess its a matter of taste, i like his more robot heavy look, but i dont see what you mean about the 80s look to it, if it was 80s i would expect more blocks and sharp corners... anyway, i didnt mean that it suited him as if he was an aggressive character, but as he is a huge football player and have been called a ''tank'' of a man before, i like that the armor looks more aggressive, as i said before it reminds me of a sleak tank.

And my comment on his schlong.. that was mostly sarcasm ;).

lol

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Captain13 said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Captain13 said:

I agree that Cyborg is a tragic hero, but he doesn't need to be the way he is now to continue to be a tragic hero. He's a person who always loved sports and competition. He had big dreams for his future. Not allowing him to compete with normal humans because he's too advanced and giving him the weight of a new responsibility to save the world would continue to make him a tragic hero. It's like a college football player with a kid who's about to become an NFL player, but who damages his knee and can no longer play. If that guy were to do whatever it takes to protect and support his kid--then I think that that guy is a tragic hero. Cyborg simply having powers and working for STAR Labs could be motivation enough to be a hero. Flash isn't physically damaged, but he still steps up to fight crime. So does Green Lantern.

The motivation for Cy to be a hero won't go away if his parts are internal or if he can switch between his forms like the Engineer or Blue Beetle. And names don't need to be spot on. Green Lantern is not a Lantern. Flash is not a beam of light. The Avengers don't avenge anyone.

You have some good points but your ignoring what makes Cyborg such a compelling character, what sets him apart from Blue Beetle and Engineer and that's that he's forever separated from humanity despite the fact that he was popular in school. In the first comic I read there were a couple of pages where Cyborg was alone in Titans tower after everybody else had to go back to there lives and Cyborg was just y'know there reflecting about his lot in life. That's what makes Cyborg so tragic he can never really be accepted, he can never have a normal girlfriend, and while its true that he can never be a football player again its also true that Cyborg always was an equal scientific genius to his football playing ability but not only can he never go pro but he'll never be able to just have a desk job or anything. He's missing out on allot in life and he knows it and yet instead of trying to cure himself or crawling into a corner over all the things he'll never experience he soldiers on, accepts that what he does is important and puts on a brave face for the rest of the world. That's what makes Vic Stone Cyborg

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@Captain13 said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Captain13 said:

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Captain13

@BlackArmor said:

@Captain13 said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Captain13 said:

You have some good points but your ignoring what makes Cyborg such a compelling character, what sets him apart from Blue Beetle and Engineer and that's that he's forever separated from humanity despite the fact that he was popular in school. In the first comic I read there were a couple of pages where Cyborg was alone in Titans tower after everybody else had to go back to there lives and Cyborg was just y'know there reflecting about his lot in life. That's what makes Cyborg so tragic he can never really be accepted, he can never have a normal girlfriend, and while its true that he can never be a football player again its also true that Cyborg always was an equal scientific genius to his football playing ability but not only can he never go pro but he'll never be able to just have a desk job or anything. He's missing out on allot in life and he knows it and yet instead of trying to cure himself or crawling into a corner over all the things he'll never experience he soldiers on, accepts that what he does is important and puts on a brave face for the rest of the world. That's what makes Vic Stone Cyborg

And I think that he can still stew over the fact that he is not human. Period. It works for Clark Kent. Bruce Wayne broods simply over the fact that he has a mission that he can't back away from. He doesn't need to forever be separated from humanity in every conceivable way. I don't think that he would be able to star in a solo title if he remains the way that you prefer him(the way that he's been in the past), because he's too much of a one note character. If readers can't relate to his situation and they don't want to put themselves into his situation, then he won't sell titles on his own. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, and even Aquaman all have a high degree of wish-fulfillment and relate-ability. Cyborg doesn't have either.

Even Hulk and Swamp Thing can revert to looking human.

There's a reason that Marvel's Thing can't hold a solo either: he's too pigeon-holed into his role as the team brooder. He's too depressing.

I want Cyborg to be a successful, popular, stand-alone character but being DC's version of the Thing won't lead to that.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mega_spidey01

i think DC doesn't know how to make him a three dimensional character. they should have made his looks like the terminator. @captain13 you're technology is becoming smaller and condense like an ipod. i hate the fact that his armor is so clunky.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Captain13 said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Captain13 said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Captain13 said:

And I think that he can still stew over the fact that he is not human. Period. It works for Clark Kent. Bruce Wayne broods simply over the fact that he has a mission that he can't back away from. He doesn't need to forever be separated from humanity in every conceivable way. I don't think that he would be able to star in a solo title if he remains the way that you prefer him(the way that he's been in the past), because he's too much of a one note character. If readers can't relate to his situation and they don't want to put themselves into his situation, then he won't sell titles on his own. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, and even Aquaman all have a high degree of wish-fulfillment and relate-ability. Cyborg doesn't have either.

Even Hulk and Swamp Thing can revert to looking human.

There's a reason that Marvel's Thing can't hold a solo either: he's too pigeon-holed into his role as the team brooder. He's too depressing.

I want Cyborg to be a successful, popular, stand-alone character but being DC's version of the Thing won't lead to that.

Technically your 100% right but I still fill the character looses allot of his flavor following those suggestions. It may be possible to do something along the lines of a holographic projector to meat halfway. I also feel an interesting Cyborg series could be handled as is if handled from star labs

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Captain13

@Mega_spidey01 said:

i think DC doesn't know how to make him a three dimensional character.

I would agree with that. It could be partially due to the fact that he was created in a team book where a lot of characters tend to be types instead of 3 dimensional. But good writers can fix that. Many of the X-Men have been pretty well flushed out. I hope that the same happens to Vic.

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By redhood21

he looks like jax.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Superdork

GothikKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GothikKnight

Back when i used to read Swamp Thing, he was always Swamp Thing. Alone Seperated from Humanity and a Monster to normal people.

I Like Cyborg as Cyborg. Being "Tech" all the time. He is like an Army Vet who got his limbs blown off. He will never have a normal body ever again. He is basicly an Updated Robotman. Or Picture Robocop instead. Would you want Robocop to just switch back and forth. Where is the downside to being Inhuman now ?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Captain13

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Captain13
    No Caption Provided
    MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrMiracle77
    No Caption Provided
    I like the Doom design.  Actual medical prosthetics probably wouldn't be that shiny metallic silver color.  They'd be plastic, probably coated to help keep them clean.
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Captain13
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

The first one looks awesome. He even looks like a 23 yo. If only DC would change him to look like that.

@Captain13 said:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This one looks great, too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.