Follow

Cyborg

Character » Cyborg appears in 2938 issues.

Half man, half machine - all hero! After a near fatal incident, Victor Stone was cybernetically enhanced by his father. He now possesses the ability to communicate, manipulate, and interface with nearly all forms of technology. As he is constantly upgrading, he promises to defend the future from any threat. He is also a founding member of the Teen Titans and in some continuities, the Justice League.

Cyborg NYCC 2013 News

Avatar image for the_greatest_green_lantern
    The_Greatest_Green_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

One fan said he felt that Cyborg "felt like an aftertought," but Cunningham said, "I can assure you from many many discussions with Geoff Johns that Cyborg is anything but an afterthought." He will play a huge role in "Forever Evil," Cunningham said.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48468

Cyborg is "central and extremely important" to Geoff Johns' plans for the next year, Cunningham said to a fan asking about his status.

http://www.newsarama.com/19223-nycc-2013-dc-comics-the-new-52-panel-live-ish.html

--

Hopefully this lives up to the hype. Cyborg hasn't really seemed to shine very much yet in comparison to other New 52 characters--like his fellow founders, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Shazam, Pandora, etc.

Avatar image for the_greatest_green_lantern
    The_Greatest_Green_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes sense since I think December's solicits reference Cyborg.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #26

Written by GEOFF JOHNS

Art and cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO

1:25 Variant cover by AARON KUDER

1:100 B&W Variant cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO

On sale DECEMBER 24 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Combo pack edition: $4.99 US

Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for details.

A FOREVER EVIL tie-in! Why has the Crime Syndicate really come to our Earth? What are their darkest secrets? And how will their actions fundamentally change the Justice League as we know it?

Meanwhile, Grid controls the world’s power and communications, but what does he truly want from the Syndicate?Plus, a member of the League struggling to survive plots a path of return...and revenge.

This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

The only characters the emboldened part could be referring to at this point are Cyborg, Nightwing, and Superman. But since Superman is dead and Nightwing is not struggling as hard to survive as Cyborg is, I think this is referring to Cyborg.

The NYCC news adds to my theory.

Hopefully Geoff Johns's Cyborg talk finally lives up to the hype.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Damn! you beat me to it lol.

Hopefully this isn't just hype. I've been saying for a while now, that Johns could at least make him the central character of a few story arcs damn. The rest of Forever Evil should be interesting.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I wonder what Grid's agenda really is and who he's working for. Brother Eye? The Technis Imperative?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Hopefully Cyborg gets a better costume like ^this^ one. I miss Cyborg's blue accents.
    Hopefully Cyborg gets a better costume like ^this^ one. I miss Cyborg's blue accents.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blkson said:

Damn! you beat me to it lol.

Hopefully this isn't just hype. I've been saying for a while now, that Johns could at least make him the central character of a few story arcs damn. The rest of Forever Evil should be interesting.

Especially since Grid seems to be manipulating the Crime Syndicate to its needs like it manipulated Victor and maybe even the Justice League.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By blkson

@captain13: As speculated in another thread, Grid will most likely stick around post Forever Evil.Or maybe not, but It's obvious that Cy will be the one to take him out and finally do something worth mentioning.

That solicit for Forever Evil #4 gotta be talking about Cy. So this could be the turning point in a two year wait for something to happen to Cyborg. Whether he'll go back to being a wallpaper once this story ends is left to be seen.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This great news, finally Cyborg is getting some attention

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blkson said:

@captain13: As speculated in another thread, Grid will most likely stick around post Forever Evil.Or maybe not, but It's obvious that Cy will be the one to take him out and finally do something worth mentioning.

That solicit for Forever Evil #4 gotta be talking about Cy. So this could be the turning point in a two year wait for something to happen to Cyborg. Rather he'll go back to being a wallpaper once this story ends is left to be seen.

Good point. We've also been told for two years that something would be happening with Cyborg, so this could just be DC crying wolf again. I'm not too keen on jumping onto this type of news anymore. I'm just going to take an "I believe it when I see it" attitude with Cyborg.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blkson

@captain13: Here's the problem, a fan shouldn't have to ask that question! Fans should not have to ask whether one of the founding members of your most important team was an "afterthought" or not . The fact that fans asked that question, should send a red alert to DC. This isn't the first time a fan has asked about Cy's importance at a DC conference panel.

I think DC (well Geoff Johns) thinks that Vic simply being present in the Justice League flagship means that he's important, which couldn't be farther from the truth. Victor being present and doing nothing wholeheartedly worth mentioning, doesn't do anything for the character beside reiterate what most already know, that he was slapped there for diversity.

Some have actually attempted to compare Cyborg's position to other members on the team, completely ignoring the fact that ALL of the founding member have solo books written by top writers and illustrated by great artist, that engage the fans of said characters with a dynamic character driven story. Those solo book shine brightly and give overall depth to other founding members of this team.

I'm not asking for Cy to be the main character, but at least the other founding members have 1 to 10 other books were they are the titular character and/or are the most reoccurring figure. Cyborg ONLY shows up here, in the Justice League flagship book, so he should at least be slightly more featured than the other members. You know, give everybody a fair shake -- which doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm eager to see what happens during (and post) Forever Evil to Cyborg's over-all and over-arching importance.

EDIT: And to be fair, Cy has been present in DC animation/game projects, which is cool.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blkson: You're exactly right. I can't add to the greatness of your post, man.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@blkson: DC currently has my interest, but I have a feeling that they're gonna pull another "center stage" and give the spotlight to somebody else.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fell for DC's Cyborg promises in the past, but I won't again.

Cyborg will never be 'central and extremely important' in a fictional universe that includes Batman and Superman. Like, how is he in the same book as them?

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been over 3 years and DC has given us next to nothing.

-They stripped him of his Titans past and everything that built him up over the years (Wolfman, Perez, Identity Crisis all gone)

-He's 95% robotic with just a brain and heart

-He hasn't done anything since Throne of Atlantis.

I mean this is a joke, after they set him up so nicely. They upgraded his abilities, gave him a connection to Darkseid and Apokolips. His origin is interwoven into the Justice League's origin. His father runs Star Labs and is a big time genius in the DCU. He's got all these connections and potential layers to build on.

But in 3 years all we get is some dad issues, some hints about Sarah Charles, and that Batman is the only member who talks to him.

Geoff Johns is the worst thing to happen to Cyborg. He's just adopted the backgrounded 7th roster spot role Martian Manhunter use to fill so nicely.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blkson
    No Caption Provided

JUSTICE LEAGUE #27 Written by GEOFF JOHNS Art and cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO 1:25 SCRIBBLENAUTS UNMASKED variant cover On sale JANUARY 22 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US | A FOREVER EVIL tie-in! With the Justice League still missing, a barely functional Cyborg will need help if he’s going to take down the Crime Syndicate! To do that, he must find Doctor Will Magnus!

Based on this cover, he looks exactly how he looked previously. I just don't even give a crap anymore as long as he is never drawn bigger than Superman again. Anyways, this solicit could be misleading similar to the JL 18 issue that also solicited Cy doing something major. Based on Cunnigham's comments, this might be the real deal. But we'll see. Everything with DC and Cyborg is a "we'll see" from now on.

What's also interesting about this solicit, it says Cy seeks help from Will Magnus. I've never posted this on these forums before, but I have been thinking that Cyborg and the Metal Men could be a direction DC could go with him.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By blkson
    @sunman said:

-They stripped him of his Titans past and everything that built him up over the years (Wolfman, Perez, Identity Crisis all gone)

I mean this is a joke, after they set him up so nicely. They upgraded his abilities, gave him a connection to Darkseid and Apokolips. His origin is interwoven into the Justice League's origin. His father runs Star Labs and is a big time genius in the DCU. He's got all these connections and potential layers to build on.

But in 3 years all we get is some dad issues, some hints about Sarah Charles, and that Batman is the only member who talks to him.

Geoff Johns is the worst thing to happen to Cyborg. He's just adopted the backgrounded 7th roster spot role Martian Manhunter use to fill so nicely.

Basically. And yea, him being more machine than man annoys me too -- But the power upgrades are nice.

As I said in a previous post, Cy only appears in the Justice League flagship. Having a few story arcs dedicated to him specifically isn't going to hurt the other found members when all of them have multiple books that they regularly appear in.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blkson said:
    @sunman said:

Basically. And yea, him being more machine than man annoys me too -- But the power upgrades are nice.

As I said in a previous post, Cy only appears in the Justice League flagship. Having a few story arcs dedicated to him specifically isn't going to hurt the other found members when all of them have multiple books that they regularly appear in.

Well a recent solicitation revealed that Cyborg is gonna be leading the Metal Men against the crime syndicate in Justice League #28, so there might be hope. Key word here is "might".

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blkson

@black_claw: Yea son, I saw it -- agreed, keyword is definitely "might"

And look at my post above, about a month ago, I called that Vic was going to lead the Metal Men lol.

Hopefully this is the real deal, and they don't outshine him.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Black_Claw

@blkson: But after talking in the Justice League forums, it looks like Cy is just gonna be nothing more than a vehicle to promote the Metal men since they have a film in the works. Damn it....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.