Follow

Cyborg Superman

Character » Cyborg Superman appears in 339 issues.

With his organic parts genetically identical to Superman's, many believed that the former astronaut Hank Henshaw truly was the Last Son of Krypton restored to life after his death at the hands of Doomsday. Until he destroyed Coast City in Superman's name which led Hal Jordan to becoming a villain known as Parallax. Since then he has become a permanent menace for Superman and Green Lantern.

Ugh Plagiarism

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

http://www.comicvine.com/cyborg-superman/12926/

So this page is obviously copied from wikipedia. And it sucks cause who ever did it even left in the "edit" notations that wikipedia has.

Let it be known now, I am writing code that will roll back to the previous submission AND take away "ALL" of your points if you plagiarize.

It's pretty easy to spot plagiarized material. It's even easier to find out where it was copied from. I even state very very clearly in the form that plagairism is NOT allowed.

I'll take ALL your points for doing it. Try me.

-Red L.A.M.P.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By NiteFly

Good. Most of us are working way too hard on the site and it belittles all of our combined efforts to have people coming in and pasting things they found on Wikipedia, Marvel Directory, Marvel.com, etc. There are more than a few bios now that are completely stolen and not even re-worded, negating and wiping out any of the work that was done on them before the guilty parties got to them.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

NiteFly says:

"Good. Most of us are working way too hard on the site and it belittles all of our combined efforts to have people coming in and pasting things they found on Wikipedia, Marvel Directory, Marvel.com, etc. There are more than a few bios now that are completely stolen and not even re-worded, negating and wiping out any of the work that was done on them before the guilty parties got to them."

I just rejected your deletion of the plagiarized "Eternals" page. I left you a comment in the rejection notice... I'd rather roll-back that page to what ever was previously there (instead of having a blank page) and at the same time delete the points from the person who did it. Gotta write some code to make that all happen seamlessly.

Also I'll throw in a report plagiarism button somewhere in the edit form to make reporting and punishing easier.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#4  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Wow, so the person would go back down to zero (0) points? That's serious. Hopefully it will only have to happen to one person before other people get the message.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Buckshot says:

"Wow, so the person would go back down to zero (0) points? That's serious. Hopefully it will only have to happen to one person before other people get the message."

If the person has "Auto Publish" powers, over 1000 points, and they still plagiarize, yeah I see no reason why they should not lose all the points. Getting to 1000 points is not easy, and you have to learn the rules by then, if you commit the worst rule violation (plagiarism) after you get "Auto Publish".... I can't believe that you didn't "know" about the rule.

And if you truly did not know about the anti-plagiarism rule, and you have over 1000 points, well then you shouldn't have the auto publish powers.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

NiteFly says:

"Good. Most of us are working way too hard on the site and it belittles all of our combined efforts to have people coming in and pasting things they found on Wikipedia, Marvel Directory, Marvel.com, etc. There are more than a few bios now that are completely stolen and not even re-worded, negating and wiping out any of the work that was done on them before the guilty parties got to them."

Here here, what little I do write I take the time to write it myself, taking the info from those sites and either just pasting it in or marginally rewording them is worthless. The frustrating thing about searching for info on the internet these days is the top 20 links are just repetitious to whatever is on a wiki page somewhere. I'd rather see a new site grow slowly with original stuff than become essentially a dupe of wikipedia's pages. Just my opinion though.

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Prodigal Son

Red L.A.M.P. says:

"Also I'll throw in a report plagiarism button somewhere in the edit form to make reporting and punishing easier."

Sweet. I think the Vine needs an "official" Punisher.

Seriously though, I'm glad to see this being done. There are some of us who are working our tails off to do quality, original submissions, and still getting massive point totals. Everyone else should have to work just as hard. I was about to go on and say something about "ignorant meatheads" but I'll digress....

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By The_Ghostshell

This one piss's me off cause I did work on this page, I only got 16 points but they were my 16 points and now my name is lumped in on a plagiarized page. I do have a question though, didnt anyone see the edit tags before they approved the submission?

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Gambler says:

"This one piss's me off cause I did work on this page, I only got 16 points but they were my 16 points and now my name is lumped in on a plagiarized page. I do have a question though, didnt anyone see the edit tags before they approved the submission?"

This page was auto-published, so it didn't go through moderation. I already pm'd with the culprit and I will end up rolling back the submission plus deducting points. But from this day forward there will be a much higher price to pay if you have earned "Auto Publish" and then abuse it.

Everyday in I reject new members subs for plagiarism. It takes alot of Staff time. So it is especially disconcerting when a member with high points does this.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I can imagine. I dont get why people think they can use wik and not get caught? Its really not that hard to come up with your own material.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By NiteFly

Red L.A.M.P. says:

I just rejected your deletion of the plagiarized "Eternals" page. I left you a comment in the rejection notice... I'd rather roll-back that page to what ever was previously there (instead of having a blank page) and at the same time delete the points from the person who did it. Gotta write some code to make that all happen seamlessly."

That's fine. Just so that things don't get missed I'd like to start a thread where we can create a list of all those pages that seem to be plagiarized to make the lives of staff easier when you guys get around to rolling them back.

The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By The WeatherMan

It was me. I'm sorry, I did use wikipedia, but this was my first submission, and i did try to change words and sentences. I hope my punished ass will teach every other wikipedia submitter a lesson. I won't do it again.

Okay?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.