Follow

Crossbones

Character » Crossbones appears in 400 issues.

A ruthless mercenary who has operated as the right-hand man of the Red Skull as well as a member of the Skeleton Crew, Serpent Squad and, surprisingly, Thunderbolts.

Civil War: Who is Crossbones?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Captain America: Civil Waris coming to theaters on May 6, and the film will be revolving around the well-established characters of the Marvel cinematic universe. One of the characters making an appearance in the film is the villainous Crossbones, most noted as one of the characters involved in the death of Steve Rogers in the 2006 comic series, Captain America. Who is Crossbones though? From what we know, how does the theatrical version differ from his comic book counterpart?

No Caption Provided

Frank Grillo plays Crossbones, who you may remember as Brock Rumlow from Captain America: Winter Soldier. In that film, Rumlow is a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who was secretly working for Hydra. When the tide turned and Hydra revealed themselves, Rumlow was one of the top men, fighting the battle on the ground. He was inside the Triskelion building when a Helicarrier crashed into it at the end of the film. However, he was pulled out, alive, with burns and injuries to his face and body. Now, he's back but in a very different costume.

Brock Rumlow, also known as Crossbones, had a very different origin in the comic book. He was never a part of S.H.I.E.L.D. nor was he a direct member of Hydra, but he was affiliated with one of their off-shoot groups. He was a leader of a small gang in New York, who idolized Red Skull and everything he did (Red Skull cheated death a lot in the comics at the point). Rumlow joined a school for criminals run by the infamous Taskmaster. After training and a few fights, Red Skull sees the potential in him and makes Rumlow his personal bodyguard, giving him the name Crossbones.

Crossbones' biggest moment came from a post-Civil War comic: Captain America #25. Crossbones fired off one of the shots that ended up killing Steve Rogers. This was all a part of a larger plan by Red Skull, but Crossbones' mind had been erased, so not even Charles Xavier could get any information out of him.

After those events, Crossbones, who was normally accompanied by his girlfriend Sin (Red Skull's daughter), found himself involved in minor plots here and there but he hasn't had the same impact on the Marvel universe since.

No Caption Provided

There is obviously a big difference in the look between the two characters. The outfits are similar: Both have a mercenary look to them and the Crossbones logo is on the character's chest in the film version. In addition, the film version has these metal contraptions over his fists, as seen in the picture at the top of the page. We know these are removable as there have been shots of the character without them on. This will help Crossbones in hand-to-hand combat and add an extra punch while fighting Captain America.

However, the big difference, from what we've seen in the trailers, is that it seems that Crossbones either has his own group or is part of a group of mercenaries. Take a look at a screencap from the first trailer.

No Caption Provided

In the background, walking with his gun at his side, is Crossbones. He appears with these other gunmen, but he's always behind all of them. This leads us to believe that he's most likely in charge of this mercenary group, but the question remains: "Are they affiliated with either Hydra or Captain America's supposed dead foe, Red Skull?" Considering that Baron Zemo is also a part of this film, Crossbones could be teamed up with him as well. It seems like Marvel has taken the same liberties with this character as they have with everyone else. They took a comic book character who was a little over-the-top and grounded him for the big screen.

We'll have to wait until May 6 to find out more when Captain America: Civil War comes to theaters. Want to know more about the film? Check out GameSpot's review.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

What? You have to wait to the 6th? I just came from it... nuts, going to be a while before a proper argument can be had :(

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deadpool25mm

Guys... Civil war is amazing!!!!

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@outside_85: You lucky dawg!

Without getting to spoilery, were Crossbones and the rest of the villians any good?

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seeing it on Sunday, can't wait.

Hardhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without getting to spoilery, were Crossbones and the rest of the villians any good?

Watched it last night. Crossbones role was pretty minor :( Zemo, on the other hand, is a major villain.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Ohhhh, very interesting. But these forums are gonna get dicey for people who want to avoid Civil War spoilers I think. Gotta be on my toes for the next few weeks.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In all fairness it follows the Marvel formula and makes the actual bad guys more of a third wheel to leave more time to focus on the heroes. In Crossbones case... he's kinda stuck with the role Strucker had in AoU.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@outside_85: baron zemo wasn't much of a combative foe just a manipulator. Plus no Red Hulk which sucked.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Outside_85

@ravenvice01: In all fairness, if you wanted Red Hulk you probably needed to introduce MODOK... and thats in the word of Tim Roth's Blonsky: "... a new level of weird."

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: MODOK could hav been introduced in Winter Soldier as Zola's algorithm. Wasted opportunity. Red hulk could still be Surtur's avatar in thor ragnarok if done right

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenvice01: Sadlly I kinda think they explained the algorithm too well for it to veer off into a seperate entity of its own. Sure it would hit what MODOK stands for quite well, but the comic character has moved far beyond that definition long ago.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RavenVice01

@outside_85: RDJ recently brought up again his interest in doing an Iron Man 4 again. I wonder if this next movie should be crammed with Iron Man rogues to make better than the last three. What do u think? The real Mandarin is still out there.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenvice01: If there will be a 4th IM movie, I really, really hope we get the fun Tony back, this post-Avengers PTSD inflicted version just isn't as amusing when he also turns out to be a massive jerk. and yeah... would the real Mandaring please step up... and not be replaced with a whiny geek :(

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: The whole PTSD version of Tony is simply his growth as character. Tony can be fun at any party and he can be serious jerk when he needs to be. I started a poll regarding Iron Man 4. Feel free to check it out. Do u wanna follow each other?

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hardhat: no spoilers as I'm seeing it tonight but I heard zemo's role is very small and could be removed entirely without really changing anything?

Hardhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hardhat: no spoilers as I'm seeing it tonight but I heard zemo's role is very small and could be removed entirely without really changing anything?

You've probably seen it already since your comment was posted 12 hours ago but just in case, Zemo has a pretty big role in the film.

@mazahs117 said:

In all fairness it follows the Marvel formula and makes the actual bad guys more of a third wheel to leave more time to focus on the heroes. In Crossbones case... he's kinda stuck with the role Strucker had in AoU.

A shame :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Crossbones dies at the beginning of the movie because of his new suit

@hardhat said:
    @comicbookfan93 said:

You've probably seen it already since your comment was posted 12 hours ago but just in case, Zemo has a pretty big role in the film.

@outside_85 said:
    @mazahs117 said:

Zemo's role in the movie is very similar to Lex Luthor, it only appears four times in the movie and not fight directly against any of heroes

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No......really!! I watched the movie twice this week

Hardhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crossbones dies at the beginning of the movie because of his new suit

@hardhat said:
    @comicbookfan93 said:

@outside_85 said:
    @mazahs117 said:

Zemo's role in the movie is very similar to Lex Luthor, it only appears four times in the movie and not fight directly against any of heroes

That's a good comparison since they're both responsible for the fight.

LeoDaPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LeoDaPolice
    No Caption Provided

Is crossbones?:

Bad_People

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The same guy who was crossbones in Winter Soldier I would guess.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie was epic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.