Follow

Conan

Character » Conan appears in 4757 issues.

Conan was a wandering fighter, mercenary, thief, and eventually King, who traveled ancient lands in the Hyborian Age living by his wits and physical prowess.

Director Brett Ratner On "Conan" No More

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

"Conan" Gets A New Director

Director Brett Ratner has a great affinity for Superhero films considering he was the director behind X-Men: The Last Stand. Recently, the director has been tied to artist Rob Liefeld's " Youngblood" which we previously reported that he had wanted Robert Pattinson for the lead in the "Youngblood" film. The director was also set to direct a film interpretation of " Conan" focusing on the character's roots. Apparently, the director is now no longer set to work on the project.

"I really wanted to do that," Ratner confessed to MTV News about his departure from the "Conan" movie. "I'm sad about it, because I loved the script...It just didn't work out—scheduling and stuff," he said. "It's an incredible project, and Marcus will do a great job."

So I bet you are probably wondering which Marcus they are referring to? Well, it just so happens to be Marcus as in Marcus Nispel (Friday The 13th) will be the new director for the Conan film. I am a bit unsure of how good a film centered around "Conan" will be. The only information we have at present regarding the direction of the film, according to MTV, is that it opens on the "battlefield where Conan is born and tells the origin story that sets the stage for what will be the first of multiple films."

Are you looking forward to a new interpretation of "Conan"?
    ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ryanwh

Im still waiting for a conclusion to the old Conan. Make a CGI Arnold or something.

Avatar image for abominable_toaster
    abominable toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, where's King Conan! Arnold could still do it.
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Sparda

Hmm. Well, I don't know how I feel about him leaving. I'd rather have someone who directed a X-Men movie (one of the worse ones) than anyone who did any of the Friday The 13th movies.

@Babs said:

"I am a bit unsure of how good a film centered around "Conan" will be. "

You're not a fan of Conan, are you Babs? ;) (Random emoticon)

Seriously though, a new Conan movie could either be fun or awfully cheesy. The old 80s movie was pretty fun, so if they take that sort of route then I'd be happy with it.
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

Didn't see his "Friday The 13th" remake, but heard mixed things. If he does a drastic re-imagining as he did with Jason, than no, no thanks. But if it's a bitchin' Fantasy Epic with barbarians and scantily-clad damsels, yes, I'm all for it!

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bruce Vain

Glad Brett is gone and Marcus is on the project. I've thoroughly enjoyed his remakes of TCM and Friday 13th. I hope Roland Kickinger is still being considered to be Conan.
    MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrCipher

Unfortunately Arnold is too old to pick up the series. He would look like Stallone in Rocky 6 million or whatever that last movie was called. (too much like a meat lollipop - all head and no body). 
    Using Dwayne Johnson (or whatever the heck he calls himself now) was also a bad idea. He has none of Arnold's charisma (I guess thats a good word) and would come off as lame being cast as Conn. 

A reboot is the only option, I just hate that they have to keep retelling the whole damn origin. All I can say is I hope they stay more true to the books than De Laurentiis did in the 80s production.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @MrCipher said:

"....A reboot is the only option, I just hate that they have to keep retelling the whole damn origin. All I can say is I hope they stay more true to the books than De Laurentiis did in the 80s production. "

OR you could just leave the classic to stand and not ruin it's memory like so many other 80's movies
    MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrCipher

@Omega Ray Jay:
    Absolutely a great option Omega, but it seems that the movie will be made no matter what. So I was just commenting on the fact that it will be made and how to salvage it's honor and do right by the classic in it's own right.  
    I loved (and still do love) those movies. 1982 -1984 were amazing years for movies that defined a large part of who I am. I have a soft spot for all of those classic movies that introduced me to sci-fi and fantasy. I can see the cheese for what it is now that I go back and watch them as an adult, but It doesn't mean I don't cherish them any less.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By FoxxFireArt

You know, they could probably still use California's Governor and they could call it, "Conan the Legislator".

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I refuse to watch remakes now, very few become an exception.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    I am not sure about a remake, but if it were to stick closer with the original origin I guess you can say it really isn't a remake. Afterall the 80s version didn't. And now with Dynamite flushing out the background of Conan with Thulsa Doom comics and Red Sonja its ripe for the plucking.
    negamegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By negamegas

Ahem..... 

THANK GOD! It was bad enough Ratner messed up X-men, now he isn't going to rape Conan either. :D
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AngelFrost

Well, I hope they get done with Conan quickly. .. because after Conan is made, Red Sonja will be made into a movie!!

Nelsonalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Nelsonalot

Nispel did a fantastic job on the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake and Friday the 13, I think Conan is right up his alley

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Marshal Victory

Daniel Cudmore [ 7 ]   [4.14%]
    Andrew Bryniarski [ 6 ]   [3.55%]
    Arnold Schwarzenegger [ 35 ]   [20.71%]
    Michael Bailey Smith [ 19 ]   [11.24%]
    Paul Telfer [ 17 ]   [10.06%]
    Brian Thompson [ 13 ]   [7.69%]
    Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson [ 21 ]   [12.43%]
    Nathan Jones [ 10 ]   [5.92%]
    Vladimir Kulich [ 33 ]   [19.53%]
    Vin Diesel [ 8 ]   [4.73%]
       from over at http://www.conan.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=3000 on who should play conan next.

babynaka2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By babynaka2001

not gonna pretend i'm sad brett's off the project, he majorly screwed up x3. not too sure about the marcus dude, but i'll take hime over brett any day

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sounds watchable. i dont personally think it needed a reboot. theres a huge wealth of Conan stories and they could have focused on any one. I dont see Arnold as needed either. To some of the public he may be Conan, but Conan has been long before Arnold was.
    Never unusual to see and actor/actress switched for a role, in fact it would help bring something new to it.

@AngelFrost said:

" Well, I hope they get done with Conan quickly. .. because after Conan is made, Red Sonja will be made into a movie!! "

it can only be better than the original.

the " bottomless pit " that you could clearly see the victims tops of there heads standing in.lol.
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AngelFrost
    @CATMANEXE said:
    "sounds watchable. i dont personally think it needed a reboot. theres a huge wealth of Conan stories and they could have focused on any one. I dont see Arnold as needed either. To some of the public he may be Conan, but Conan has been long before Arnold was.
    Never unusual to see and actor/actress switched for a role, in fact it would help bring something new to it.

@AngelFrost said:

" Well, I hope they get done with Conan quickly. .. because after Conan is made, Red Sonja will be made into a movie!! "

it can only be better than the original.

the " bottomless pit " that you could clearly see the victims tops of there heads standing in.lol. "

Well after the success of 300 and Sin City, Red Sonja will be perfect as a rebooted movie. The movie will work better now due to the improved special effects and colouring. :) I hated the original Red Sonja movie, Her hair wasn't even red .....
    Avatar image for captain_cascader
    Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Captain Cascader
    @Omega Ray Jay said:
    " @MrCipher said:

"....A reboot is the only option, I just hate that they have to keep retelling the whole damn origin. All I can say is I hope they stay more true to the books than De Laurentiis did in the 80s production. "

OR you could just leave the classic to stand and not ruin it's memory like so many other 80's movies "
    The original was already ruinded by the second film in the series. Only going up from there. Still, I'd love to see the old man King Conan story that is often rumored.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AngelFrost:
    yeah, id definatly go for a modern big budget Red Sonja as well, sans the campiness and the "ugg."

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Green ankh

well the chance of this not sucking just got better.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BTW: love Conans elbow.lol.

@MrCipher:
    nice Dr.Decker avatar. thumbs up.
    " I am death, plain and simple. "

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Media_Master

always hopeful to make multiple films, instead of focusing on what they can really do, one or two.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.