Follow

Conan

Character » Conan appears in 4757 issues.

Conan was a wandering fighter, mercenary, thief, and eventually King, who traveled ancient lands in the Hyborian Age living by his wits and physical prowess.

Beginner's Guide To Conan The Barbarian

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
    For your information: Obama's a Conan collector.
    For your information: Obama's a Conan collector.

Conan of Cimmeria goes by countless titles. Thief. Pirate. King. Conqueror. Barbarian. The most fitting, however, would have to be “most popular pulp hero of all time.” Since his debut in a 1932 issue of the legendary WEIRD TALES magazine, Conan’s starred in countless novels, cartoons, TV shows, movies and, of course, comics, maintaining a foothold in the popular imagination that arguably that of his pulp contemporaries like Doc Savage and Zorro. So profound is this character’s influence on fantasy fiction, J.R.R. Tolkien even admitted to being partially inspired by his adventures when he was first writing THE LORD OF THE RINGS, some 20 years after Conan’s creation. CONAN stories created a breed of sword and sorcery underlined with human nature’s nastier side, and the lineage of that breed traces all the way to the likes of George R.R. Martin’s GAME OF THRONES.

As a new CONAN THE BARBARIAN movie bows this week to introduce a whole new generation to the character on screen, what say we unfurl the scroll of his chronicle some and quickly review Conan's long history in print?

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

The archetypal sword and sorcery hero, Conan's a wandering warrior who lives in a fictitious “Hyborian Age” that existed in some mythic time between the sinking of Atlantis and the dawn of recorded history. His origin may not have as many twists as Batman or Spider-Man's, but it’s just as striking nevertheless.

The son of a blacksmith, Conan was born on a battlefield and came of age in the near-constant combat his tribe, the Cimmerians, engaged in. Setting out on his own a teenager, Conan had countless adventures throughout the awe-inspiring, treacherous landscapes of his pre-historic world. He romanced innocent princesses and pirate queens,allied with roguish thieves and noble lords, and battled hideous beasts and vile necromancers... all of which have subsequently become standard in this genre.

One quality of Conan's stories that's especially memorable is how they're all pieces of a fully-realized life. His age and occupation will change significantly from tale to tale - - he'll be a young pirate in one story and a seasoned mercenary in another - - but he's pointed to the destiny of eventually usurping the throne of Aquilionia and becoming a "king by his own hand" in middle age.

No Caption Provided

The circumstances of Conan’s creation and the tragically-short life of his creator, Robert E. Howard, are really as intriguing as the details of his adventures. Howard was a troubled loner from small-town Texas who committed suicide at age 30, and many see the melancholic tone of even his most rousing adventures as evidence of how the man’s inner demons fueled his creativity.

During correspondences with his friend and fellow “weird fiction” author, H.P. Lovecraft, he often described his writing of CONAN as some dark presence surrounding him - - as if a real spirit of the barbarian were in his direct vicinity.

It may as well have been something unnatural forcing him to write, because Howard produced an impressive number of CONAN stories in the all-too-brief years between the character’s creation and his death. I think somewhat of Jack Kirby, here, in how Howard’s output was so boundlessly creative as to inspire generations for all these decades after his passing. He established an entire genre.

No Caption Provided

While he starred in prose pastiches throughout the intervening years, Conan secured his seat in the popular imagination with the inception of Marvel’s CONAN THE BARBARIAN and SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN in the 70’s. With Roy Thomas as the main writer, and Barry Windsor-Smith and Sal Buscema as the most frequently-contributing, these comics made significant additions to the Hyborian Age, including a new heroine, the “She-Devil with a Sword” Red Sonja.

After nearly 30 years of continuous publishing, the license eventually went to Dark Horse in 2000, where the likes of Kurt Busiek, Cary Nord, Tim Truman, Ron Marz and Darick Robertson have been using it ever since.

While Conan’s starred in several cartoon and live-action TV shows, his most famous turns on screen have unquestionably been in the movies starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. Though those flicks cherry picked plot elements from a variety of CONAN shorts (as well those starring Howard’s other barbarian heroes, Kull and Bran Mak Morn,) they eschewed strict adaptation of the original stories in favor of hewing the Hyborian Age closer to the real history that inspired it.

This new movie, starring Jason Momoa, is expected to be closer to the source material. We'll have to see it to know for sure then, won't we? At least you maniacs will all know the key basics going in to it.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer ofHYBRID BASTARDS!&UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazonhere&here. Follow him on Twitter:@tompinchuk

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Excellent! I definitely am going to see this tomorrow. Just not sure if I'm gonna be surprised or disappointed.  But so far it looks nice!. Great little "idiot's guide" to the Cimmerian here!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Decept-O

Savage Sword of Conan ranks up there with some all time favorite no holds barred Conan action and hot women depicted in comics. Sal Buscema's style matched perfectly with Conan, in my opinion, and I began to recognize his inked work right away whenever I'd read any Conan comics via my friend's "stash", not to mention those I bought as well. Things got really good with Conan the King, actually, and anything Conan in terms of Marvel's output is recommended.

If anyone remembers the "What If?" comic where Conan appears in modern day New York, well you know how funky Marvel got with Conan for awhile!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
    @spiderbat87: The manliest theme song ever!
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#5  Edited By The Impersonator

Don't forget that Conan is also a comedian. 

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for nomadicxnightmare
    nomadicxnightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By nomadicxnightmare
    @The Impersonator said:
    Don't forget that Conan is also a comedian. 

No Caption Provided
    And a librarian =P 
    No Caption Provided
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By No_name_here

@The Impersonator:

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Mr. Dead Pool said:
    @spiderbat87: The manliest theme song ever!
    That theme song makes me want to eat raw meat and punch people 
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By TheMess1428

I loved Jason Momoa in Stargate: Atlantis. His character was really cool.

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By cyberninja
    "Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet." - Robert E. Howard
    tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tonis

Without a doubt Conan was one of the largest inspirations for art when I was a young rabid collector.

When I first saw Frazetta's Conan it changed how I saw things.

I'm glad they're bringing him back to the big screen, I'll be one of those fans hitting the theaters this weekend for that for sure :)

sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#12  Edited By sladewilson30

Well, I hope this time around, there will be more sequels to Conan.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Shadow_Thief

I'm extremely leery of the story, based on what's been leaked of it so far, but I think Momoa is going to completely redefine the role. In interviews, his description of how he's prepared for this part demonstrate that he's done his research on the character.

EpitomeofCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EpitomeofCool

I dont knw about this....never been big on conan but I might rent it when the time comes....

GhostRider29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GhostRider29

I have never been big on Conan. But the movie looks good. Should I go?
    maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By maxicere

I want to see this movie NOW!!!!!!

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Trodorne
    @GhostRider29: If you feel compelled to see it immediately than go. if not you can always wait a few months down the road when it will come out for blu ray or dvd. or for people still holding out hopes..... VHS.... BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LordRequiem

This is the sort of thing they should leave alone, Conan the Barbarian and The Destroyer were fine films for there time with Arnie as the solemn warrior. Now some guy with an American accent shouting "c'mon" against enemies, doing exactly the same sword spins Arnie did, and speaking all the time, just seems silly, to me anyway.

TheAvenger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheAvenger802

The comics look cool and everything, but i really don't know about this new movie. It kinda looks a tad bit corny. Plus i'm not really to trilled about his new up coming video game either.

oldgum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By oldgum

I had more interest in Conan recently, I decide to buy the original work.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dedpool

Okay I'm ashamed to say this but i watched that cartoon and loved it. Sure it was cheesy and childish, but hey it was till some sort of Conan. The live action series not so much. That being watered down was pretty bad, though Ralph Moeller was pretty decent. The cartoon was alot of fun for a kiddified Conan (which if you're doing Conan for kids is bound to happen as Conan is NOT for kids at all!).  

The new film looks more like Conan and the world from the books and comics (especially DarkHorse) but from the reviews it's not the acting that saddles the film but the script. I for one think Mamoa will rock and will probably enjoy the film simply because it's the only place I'll be getting dark adult fantasy.
    Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Herokiller12344

All I know is that the new guy seems to look pretty convincing as Conan, especially since Arnold's been typecast for terminator for the last 30 years.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Bestostero

Rose McGowan is in this! lol

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By azza04

Apparently the film is crap.

Neuron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Neuron

The new movie doesn't look good.  But I have read all of Howard's stories and loved them.  Still some of the best, most exciting fantasy I've ever read.

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#26  Edited By sweatboy

4 words....dig deeper into Conan

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#27  Edited By sweatboy
    @spiderbat87 said:

my first impresion of Conan. The Schwazzeneggar Conan is a douche who hits camels 
    @Dedpool said:
    Okay I'm ashamed to say this but i watched that cartoon and loved it. Sure it was cheesy and childish, but hey it was till some sort of Conan. The live action series not so much. That being watered down was pretty bad, though Ralph Moeller was pretty decent. The cartoon was alot of fun for a kiddified Conan (which if you're doing Conan for kids is bound to happen as Conan is NOT for kids at all!).   The new film looks more like Conan and the world from the books and comics (especially DarkHorse) but from the reviews it's not the acting that saddles the film but the script. I for one think Mamoa will rock and will probably enjoy the film simply because it's the only place I'll be getting dark adult fantasy.
    yeah speaking from my memory as a child, that cartoon was much more different from other cartoons. The hero was different even though he was still a good guy and the medieval time sense and the D&D style party of assorted characters was really something interesting. Conan was not the PERFECT hero i was used to, in fact he'd lose to a lot of minor characters who'd sometimes end up helping him. He was less of a ladies man tho, and more committed to his goal. Also this new trailer really gives me a sense of...it SCARES me man, something i haven't felt in a while

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.