Follow

Conan

Character » Conan appears in 4757 issues.

Conan was a wandering fighter, mercenary, thief, and eventually King, who traveled ancient lands in the Hyborian Age living by his wits and physical prowess.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Vs Jason Momoa

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Poll Arnold Schwarzenegger Vs Jason Momoa (24 votes)

Jason 42%
    Arnold 58%

Who was the better Conan?

• 
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Arnie. The way he spoke felt more barbaric. Not to mention he was more of a brute. Momoa was good but felt a wee bit less barbaric. Not to mention he had high flying moments. Conan as written by Robert Howard fitted Arnie more.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssejllenrad: no way, Arnold was nothing like Howard's Conan

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Arnie fit the character more. He seemed more like a barbarian than Jason did.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I'm not saying 100%. Maybe he was even less than half of what Howard wrote about. But in no way was Momoa closer to Howard's Conan. Except maybe the hair colour. But other than that, absolutely not.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: OK, for the sake of civility, I will not take that tone as a condescending questioning of my knowledge but instead a legitimate inquiry. Yes. I have read around 20 or so Hyborean Age writings of Howard.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@ssejllenrad: it was a question, there was no tone to it. Arnold's Conan was a huge slobbering bafoon and I don't think that's anything like how Conan is portrayed by Howard, not to mention the whole film was a Kull story and it saddens me that we're going to get yet another film with old man Schwarzenegger when I'd much rather have a sequel with Momoa

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

Yes I have, I wasn't talking about Robert E. Howards books, I know Jason's Conan was more like the original stories with the agility, muscularity, hair, intelligence so on and so forth. Arnie was more brutish and barbaric so yea if you are a huge fan of Conan the Cimmerian than yea Jason Momoa was better. If it makes you feel any better Jason is a better actor:). I personally enjoyed Arnold's portrayal better not because it is closer to source material but because he had barbaric feel to him.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingimmortalman: Yea that's why I like it better, Jason is a better actor and and everything about it was just closer to the source

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingimmortalman: Yea that's why I like it better, Jason is a better actor and and everything about it was just closer to the source

completely understandable, and honestly if it weren't for the nostalgia I would have probably voted Momoa too

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I liked what Jason did even though the script for his Conan was a bit fail lol.

Never was a fan of Arnold either.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@theamazingimmortalman: the way I see it the Schwarzenegger movies are the same as the Stallone Judge Dress movie, a really bad take on the character that has been ingrained in to everybody's head that it's the "real" version and has messed it up for movies with better takes on the character

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingimmortalman: the way I see it the Schwarzenegger movies are the same as the Stallone Judge Dress movie, a really bad take on the character that has been ingrained in to everybody's head that it's the "real" version and has messed it up for movies with better takes on the character

I feel you man, I know that isn't the "real version" but I like Arnie (and his flaws in the role). If we are talking source nd acting only Momoa all the way. But I just like Arnies version.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I`ll have to say Jason Momoa.

Nostalgia wants me to say Schwarzenegger but I`ll never get around its Arnold being Arnold in an Arnold movie. The same way I cant picture Dolph Lundgren as He-Man or The Punisher - its just Dolph in a typical (perhaps) Dolph movie. I must have seen the 1982 version some 5 times and it never gets me more interested in Conan as a character but rather makes me wanna watch another Arnie flick - Commando, Running Man, Red Heat or whatever

Put simply, Jason the actor didnt distract me the way Arnold the actor did

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@hel: yes exactly, that's what I think

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

Jason by far. The only reason people say Arnold is because of 1) 80s nostalgia and 2) Arnold's popularity. I fully expected to HATE the Conan the Barbarian remake, but I actually found it pretty damn good. Was it perfect? NO...God almighty no. But it was a fun, well acted fantasy film with a lot of passion and creativity put into it, despite it's many flaws. (Which is more than I can say for the original, whose only real strength over the remake was the villain) That said, Jason Momoa was the best part about it. He was cunning, charismatic, menacing, brutal and HIGHLY intimidating. I was worried the guy was going to reach through the TV screen and bite my ear off. Compare that to Arnold's Conan, which is damn close to unintentional comedy. The accent is completely off and the horrible dialogue didn't help (Granted the remake's dialogue wasn't much better, but at least Momoa didn't pull some bulls*** accent and mumble all the time like Arnie did)

Avatar image for deactivated-642516d22f522
    deactivated-642516d22f522

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it comes to performance and a better build, I vote for Arnold. When it comes to a more accurate looking face and hair? I vote for Jason. My only gripe with Jason was that he didn't buff up enough for the role.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.