Follow

Cloak and Dagger

Team » Cloak and Dagger appears in 450 issues.

A team of two misunderstood runaways who first became friends and, later, heroes.

The return

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Nighthunter

Valerie D’Orazio has a storied and public history with comics; she made it public with her “Goodbye to Comics” blog. Alas, they’ve proved harder to say goodbye to than she thought, as she continues to write about them on her current blog, Occasional Superheroine. Now, she’s had such a hard time saying so long, she wound up pitching one of the most often requested of mini-series, a story featuring Cloak and Dagger. She’s writing the return of the duo to their own series at Marvel, and we talked with her about the story, comics, and how just plain excited she is.

Newsarama: Valerie, it seems that at every Marvel panel since they showed up in Runaways the question of “Any plans for Cloak and Dagger?” has been asked. How long have you been trying to come up with an idea that works for this duo?

Valerie D’Orazio: The basic premise of the story and the central theme first occurred to me about a year ago, and over the period of five months or so developed into an idea that I felt really captured their past, present, and future. I thought it was really key to examine the personalities beyond the powers. I think the final version of Cloak and Dagger that hits the stands will be very similar to the one I initially pitched. Marvel has always been supportive of the basic vision I had for the book, so it was just a matter of tweaking it a bit, so that it was reflective of the current Marvel Universe.

NRAMA: You've worked as an editor in comics, but this is your first writing gig. Is it an easy transition for you? Did your time as an editor prepare you more for this?

VDO: Oh, without a doubt I found my editorial background to be invaluable for this experience. It's all about learning how to write comics from the inside-out, and by reading scripts from some of the best writers in the business -- Dan Slott, Brad Meltzer, Darwyn Cooke. Now, has it been an easy transition? Yes and no. There is definitely something about finally being in the driver's seat that is both exhilarating and and slightly intimidating.

NRAMA: Can you give us some hints on the basics of the story?

VDO: I really wouldn't want to give too much away, but basically the story is about taking Cloak & Dagger to -- in my opinion -- the natural next step in their long and often complicated relationship. And the character of Tyrone was one that I especially wanted to develop -- to bring him out of his shell. I think he has earned the right for us to get to know him better, and for him to get to know himself better.

NRAMA: You've been a vocal proponent of women working in comics, now here you are, and your art team is female as well. How did you get set up with these artists? What are each going to be doing art-wise for the book?

VDO: I was having a lunch with a peer one day, and I ran my basic idea for Cloak & Dagger by him for an opinion. He said, I know the perfect artist for this book. And he sent me Irene's samples and I was blown away. It never occurred to me to have manga-styled art for this book. But when I saw the amazing sketches she made of Cloak and Dagger -- it just organically worked. It wasn't about what style was popular. It was just the fact that the art matched exactly what I was trying to say in my story. And then I saw Emily's color samples and pictured that over Irene's art -- and I knew this was going to be a visually stunning book.

NRAMA: The last major appearance of the two characters together was in Runaways, although Cloak has appeared a few times in recent major events. Will this be stemming from those appearances?

VDO: I've certainly taken those appearances -- as well as much of their previous comics (Marvel Knights, New Warriors, etc) -- in consideration. I hunted down a lot of Cloak and Dagger back issues and guest appearances in preparation for this miniseries. That said, I'm sort of taking the duo off in a new direction -- but not so off the path that they wouldn't be able to interact with a team like The Runaways in the future.

NRAMA: Of course, you posted the little tease that you were doing the "Women in Marvel" panel on your blog back on July 11th. How hard has it been for you to contain your excitement and keep a lid on this?

VDO: Excruciating! I've got a big mouth sometimes, you know? So I'm posting on comics 5-6 days a week, and I'm constantly biting my tongue. But the other side of it is, I work in PR now and I've been an editor in the past. So I know how important it is to time these announcements. But -- still was hard!

NRAMA: How has your experience been working with Marvel so far? Are you having enough fun to stick around, maybe pitch something else?

VDO: Working with Marvel has just been such a great experience for me. They have been very supportive of my vision and of what unique elements I have to bring to the table. I never felt steered in a certain direction, or dictated to. I felt like they wanted me to have fun with this book. And even in those moments when I sort of rewrote myself to make Cloak & Dagger more of a book that I thought was "expected" of me -- my editors were perceptive enough to say -- "That's not you. Be yourself." And so it feels liberating. And yeah, if there was another project that would be a good fit for the both of us, I would love to stick around.

NRAMA: Aside from the aforementioned constant fan questions at conventions- why Cloak and Dagger? What appeals to you that made you say "THIS is the story I want to write for Marvel Comics" above and beyond any other?

VDO: Cloak and Dagger -- Tyrone and Tandy -- have had this very long, complex relationship that hasn't really had a satisfying resolution. And it's a very codependent relationship. To me, after reading all the C&D material, I felt that this situation was fairly begging to be addressed -- as if their characters and their romance were caught in stasis. Sometimes relationships get stale, and you need to shake them up a bit in order for everybody to get to the next level. So there are some very basic and raw human emotions caught up in there, and it excited me to get a chance to explore that territory.

NRAMA: Anything else you'd like to put out there? Any other teases?

VDO: "The brighter the light, the darker the shadow." Or, "Two's company, and three's a crowd." Take your pick.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    SDCC '08: Cloak & Dagger Return
    Writer Valerie D’Orazio and artist Emily Warren discussing bringing back two of Marvel’s cult favorites in a new limited series

By Tim Stevens

Marvel comics offer a plethora of difficult relationships that seem to forever be teetering between full-fledged romance and unmitigated disaster. For many, like writer Valerie D'Orazio, Cloak & Dagger have long been the most intriguing of these couplings, and one she will look to explore in a limited series announced over the weekend in San Diego.

"I was always fascinated with the complex—one might say unresolved—relationship between those two characters." D'Orazio acknowledges. "It is, in my opinion, one of the great unfulfilled-yet-yearning relationships in sci-fi, right with Buffy and Angel and Mulder and Scully."

D'Orazio, who notes, "all I wanted to do was become a writer for Marvel Comics when I grew up," thrilled at Marvel asking her to pitch ideas, but knew the invitation hardly guaranteed her a job.

Concept art by
    Irene Flores

"The pitching process became a matter of the right idea at the right time," she admits. "That's where Cloak and Dagger came in. I was just really interested in exploring this bond between them, and take things to the next level and help them grow more as characters."

As it happens, Marvel shared that interest and her pitch landed D'Orazio her first writing job in and industry she has worked in for over 10 years as an editor.

That previous experience bore out as both a help and a hindrance as she got to work scripting the mini. On the positive side of things, the process proved less of a mystery to her than it would be to most first time comic book writers. "I suppose you

Concept art by
    Irene Flores

can say it allows me to empathize with my editor more and what she or he is trying to do," explains D'Orazio. "I understand the process from the inside-out a bit better, so it makes everything from working out schedules to coming up with cover image ideas a lot easier."

However, at times, that inside knowledge did get in the way of some artistic choices. "There is also a necessity to sort of 'remove' myself from that familiarity with comics as business and product and then just dive into the pure creativity aspect of it," notes the first-time scribe. "There were a couple of times when I was unsure of myself and rewrote things to fit in more with my preconceived notions of what is 'expected' in a super hero comic. And my editors caught that and told me to just keep what I had before: to just follow my true vision and not worry about being like everybody else."

Cloak & Dagger

For colorist Emily Warren, the attraction to the book came from seeing her collaborator's work. "The moment I saw [pencil artist] Irene [Flores]'s sketches I fell in love," she confesses. "They were so fluid and elegant, the first thing that popped in my head was 'I want to pull this in Photoshop and go to town!' I knew I really wanted to be apart of the project at that point."

Both creators carry a palpable sense of excitement and gratitude with them. D'Orazio perhaps summarizes their feelings best when she concludes, "I'm just really bowled over with the way Marvel has encouraged me to just be myself on this book, and to stick with my vision. I deeply appreciate that, and I realize I'm very lucky."
    Avatar image for akira_overdrive
    Akira Overdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Akira Overdrive

Final Fu#cing ly

Ripcord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ripcord

As long as they don't f#ck them up. i'll be pleased with it. I don't want to see a f#cking overly emotional Cloak just because they want him to be emotional. I like Cloak the way he is. He's had a rough life. His personality is a result of that. Don't just screw with him. I guess I'll have to wait until it comes out.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AngelFrost

Oh, I liked Cloak and Dagger in Runaways

Dagger shared some funny lines with Gert
    which was the best part!

=]

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.