Follow

Chuck Dixon

Person » Chuck Dixon is credited in 1949 issues.

Chuck Dixon is a popular comic book writer most commonly known for his work on Airboy, Punisher and many Batman related titles.

Why is Chuck Dixon not working for Marvel?

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By jsphsmth

This guy was responsible for the creation/development of some of the best characters to come out of DC in the 90s. Tim Drake/Robin, Stephanie Brown/Spoiler, and the Birds of Prey.

He was writing several titles at the same time in the 90s: Punisher, Moon Knight, Green Hornet, Batman, Robin, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, etc.

He writes great street-level heroes.

After Chuck "left" DC, why didn't Marvel grab him?

Why is he only working for IDW?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

Good question.

Roldan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Roldan

@jsphsmth said:

This guy was responsible for the creation/development of some of the best characters to come out of DC in the 90s. Tim Drake/Robin, Stephanie Brown/Spoiler, and the Birds of Prey.

He was writing several titles at the same time in the 90s: Punisher, Moon Knight, Green Hornet, Batman, Robin, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, etc.

He writes great street-level heroes.

After Chuck "left" DC, why didn't Marvel grab him?

Why is he only working for IDW?

I've highlighted what you should look at. Dixon's best work is still in the 90s. I used to think Peter David and Chuck Dixon were pretty similar (meaning they could do believable teenage superheroes) but unlike David who past 90s have done some of his best work, Dixon haven't. I'm not saying it has been bad past 90s but tell me anything good he has done past 2005. Or it might just be that he like writing for IDW, so who cares?

Clue_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Clue_

Dixon is still a solid writer. It's probably by choice. I mean, he's been working for the big two for over a decade, even some of the newer writers tire of it and want to do something else.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By CATPANEXE

Why is everyone jumping to IDW and Dynamite, like Abnett & Lanning for example speaking of IDW. Therein lies the answer to your question, and part of it may be that why would someone of revered talent go to work for a company who edit's their work, and, who they will inevitably play second string to another large name within the company, like Bendis in Marvel for instance, I'll let you name DC's, and not get either the recognition nor jobs they really deserve. This and it's a really good feeling to be the start of something, part of that whole process, a creator, rather then a mass producer of another design.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jsphsmth

@CATPANEXE: IDW is doing some very interesting work with licensed characters. That could be part of the appeal too.

It looks like DNA's Marvel Cosmic run is coming to an end and who knows if Heroes/Villians for Hire will suvrvive past the next miniseries, so they are probably just shopping for work.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jsphsmth

@Roldan: I care. His name was enough for me to follow him to IDW to keep reading his work.

Given what he was able to do in the 90s with street-level characters that I love, I would like to see him writing more.

Seriously, he created Bane.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.