Follow

Catwoman

Character » Catwoman appears in 3418 issues.

Catwoman is a fictional character originating from DC Comics. Under the costumed alias of Catwoman, Selina Kyle, is a cat burglar with an on-again, off-again, romantic relationship with Batman. She is shown as a woman who is very strong-willed, independent and morally dubious.

Why Do Superheroes Wear Boots?

• 115 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vortex13

Hahaha, I've actually always thought it was stupid for characters to wear high heels while fighting crime.

Good video, and discussion.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Hey I recognize that street.  I thought that was "OUR" afternoon walk G-Man!  I feel betrayed.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

I guess I "get around"?

Avatar image for captain_cascader
    Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Captain Cascader

Is that magneto in the beginning?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I think the answer is because boots just fit with superhero costumes.You've seen kids on halloween wearing sneakers with a Superman or Spider-Man costume on and it looks just tacky.It's like how when you wear formal attire to church or to work,you don't wear sneakers or certain types of shoes because they are too informal.Most superheroes are male so I doubt they would wear heels and loafers and other shoes just wouldn't look right.Also..boots are the most comfortable shoe you can wear while in combat.As Vortex 13 said..it's kind of silly for a female superhero to wear heels while fighting crime.They would most likely break the heel or their ankle.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Captain Cascader said:
    "Is that magneto in the beginning?"
    I totally thought the same thing.  We told him that and he said something like "What's a magneto."
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7  Edited By The_Martian

LOL

Spider-Man wears, "Booties" I say its a tie:P

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By The_Ghostshell

hahahaha nice job that was some funny back and forth banter. What I think is really funny is the old man that Babs jacks, knows her name :P "hey babs come back" lmfao. Sounds like he's been a victim of yours before Babs. As for the topic, we all know why Babs wears heals and it has nothing to do with practicality. Someone's a lil diva :D

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck

I guess "Babs" is like an international jewel thief or something.  Everyone knows who she is.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vortex13
    Vance Astro said:
    "I think the answer is because boots just fit with superhero costumes.You've seen kids on halloween wearing sneakers with a Superman or Spider-Man costume on and it looks just tacky.It's like how when you wear formal attire to church or to work,you don't wear sneakers or certain types of shoes because they are too informal.Most superheroes are male so I doubt they would wear heels and loafers and other shoes just wouldn't look right.Also..boots are the most comfortable shoe you can wear while in combat.As Vortex 13 said..it's kind of silly for a female superhero to wear heels while fighting crime.They would most likely break the heel or their ankle."
    I wear steel toe boots to work, so i guess boots do make sense if like your doing work where you could injure your feet.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11  Edited By The_Martian

Spider-Booties:P
    Spider-Booties:P

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12  Edited By DMC

i say it depends on the character and (sometimes) the artist....if they actually draw boots or "socks"

anyway....characters who can fly can get away with it (obviously) like superman or miss america

But why oh why does he wear boots?

Boots? NO
    Boots? NO

Track Cleats? YES!!!
    Track Cleats? YES!!!

Flash would look a lot cooler (and faster) in cleats. Can't get up on the tips of your feet in those fishing boots.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13  Edited By Media_Master

Boot kicks hurt

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Decept-O

G-Man, G-Man....boots.  Soldiers, Marines, S.W.A.T. officers and other MIlitary and Civilian personnel train and wear boots every day.  They are adept at running, jumping, climbing, and performing many other physical tasks while wearing boots.  

I think you may be speculating that boots might hinder a crime fighter.   The lightweight yet durable materials of boots of today are quite adequate, allowing people who wear them to perform their duties comfortably. 

I also get what you are saying about Superman. Why does he wear boots if he is invulnerable?  Well, isn't his whole costume more or less his homage to his father's Kryptonian status?  Maybe he wants to appear and feel human in a way.  Also, it gives him a regal appearance.   He'd look dorky wearing shoes...but his trunks on the outside of his costume is also dorky.....

Batgirl Babs has a good point--I am hard pressed to think of any female characters who don't wear boots.   Namorita, who more or less was barefoot all the time.  Tigra is usually barefoot.  Also, She-Hulk was initially barefoot , but she usually wears tennis shoes.  She has worn boots but is often depicted with shoes.   How about Iron Fist and those "slippers" or Shang-Chi,  Master of Kung Fu?  No boots for those guys.  Ninjas don't wear boots.   Beast was barefoot for quite some time until they changed his appearance and costume (why?).

High heels on boots on female characters is of course a bit pointless in terms of aiding the character BUT they look great! 

Oh, that sidewalk issue....I'd much rather see Batgirl Babs' back view than Red L.A.M.P.  anyday, but that's just me. 

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Vortex13 said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "I think the answer is because boots just fit with superhero costumes.You've seen kids on halloween wearing sneakers with a Superman or Spider-Man costume on and it looks just tacky.It's like how when you wear formal attire to church or to work,you don't wear sneakers or certain types of shoes because they are too informal.Most superheroes are male so I doubt they would wear heels and loafers and other shoes just wouldn't look right.Also..boots are the most comfortable shoe you can wear while in combat.As Vortex 13 said..it's kind of silly for a female superhero to wear heels while fighting crime.They would most likely break the heel or their ankle."
    I wear steel toe boots to work, so i guess boots do make sense if like your doing work where you could injure your feet."
    Agreed.
    dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By dane

Honestly I think it's just to compliment character design most of the time. I mean seriously of all the things wrong with a costume like Emma Frost's I think the boots are probably the least functionality flawed. Can you imagine going outside in winter wearing that thing? It'd take a week to thaw you out after each mission.

kittenpride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kittenpride

Boots look cool.

It's heels that i wanna know about!
    Stilettos while crime fighting? hell. NO.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By danhimself

wonder woman's blades are magically forged and that's why they hurt superman

Samuraikenpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Samuraikenpo

okay was i the only one who saw that episode of The Boondocks were you learn that hookers are the only ones who can run in heels really really fast and as i remember selina kyle what was her first job again.  Enough said on that note.  G-Man not everyone can wear pjs or jumpsuits with Xs on them and call themselves a super hero sometimes you gotta kick someone with a boot.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Men find high heels on women attractive because it makes them look fragile/dainty.  Look it up, it's science.

Therefore, female crimefighters will wear heels to trick their opponents into thinking they are weak.  That's just common sense.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Red L.A.M.P. said:
    "Men find high heels on women attractive because it makes them look fragile/dainty.  Look it up, it's science.Therefore, female crimefighters will wear heels to trick their opponents into thinking they are weak.  That's just common sense."
    I like heels on women because it makes them stand in a way that makes their butt poke out.
    Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
    Vance Astro said:
    "Red L.A.M.P. said:
    "Men find high heels on women attractive because it makes them look fragile/dainty.  Look it up, it's science.Therefore, female crimefighters will wear heels to trick their opponents into thinking they are weak.  That's just common sense."
    I like heels on women because it makes them stand in a way that makes their butt poke out.
    "
    That too is SCIENCE.   Its all sciencey.  We've been programmed for tens of thousands of years to like certain things.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    aztek the lost said:
    "yay for science!"
    YAY!
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Calvin

The sword wonder woman had was magical, a witch from the desert gave it to her, because the witch was unable to defeat Superman by herself.
    I was under the impression that wonder woman could have cut his head off, and she just cut him a bit so he could be aware that he wasn't invulnerable to the blade.

Concerning the boots, that's just for old school style!

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26  Edited By DMC

Red L.A.M.P said

Men find high heels on women attractive because it makes them look fragile/dainty.  Look it up, it's science.

Therefore, female crimefighters will wear heels to trick their opponents into thinking they are weak.  That's just common sense.

yeah and I'll bet it's very uncomfortable, especially for the street level female heroes.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Calvin
    DMC said:
    "
    Red L.A.M.P said

yeah and I'll bet it's very uncomfortable, especially for the street level female heroes. "
    And hight heels can be used as a weapon you can easly stick it on someone's leg
    mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mattydeNero

Funny, yet ridiculous.  Why not ask why people wear boots in general?  Because that's basically the question you're asking.

To name a few: Batman rocks some s#!tkickers, and Superman wears socks with traction like bowling shoes, or maybe like a onezie?  At least, that's what I've always thought anyway.  But obviously, in either universe, most of these characters are super-strong.  So what's the big deal?  They're flying, or speeding through.  Now Flash, he needs NASA boots, S.T.A.R. Labs manufactured "flaves".

I agree with the gang by saying... Marvel: socks, DC: boots, or booties.

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Stormultt

boots are sexy and fashionable DUH!!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    mattydee007 said:
    Marvel: socks, DC: boots, or booties."
    I don't think socks is the right word for them.
    Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nahero

can't say the same for men stormmutt

like G~man said i don't think its such a big deal cuz not all superheroes wear boots

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nahero

i just saw G~man give Red L the finger

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#33  Edited By No_Name_

Ahh fun times!

@Hey I can run fast in high heels, in no way shape or form does that make me a hooker -_-

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pixelized

I WANT MY FEMALE CHARACTERS TO WEAR HEELS!

Emma Frost, 30,000 dollar body, and she adds Nike's as her finishing touch? I don't think so.

Moonstone, Closet filled with the latest from Prada and She wears/wore the pajamas with the feet attached?

Monet St. Croix, born into royalty, opted to keep her gucci ensemble clean instead of saving some random's life... and she wears...... idk, what type of shoes does she wear?
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By No_Name_
    pixelized said:
    "

Emma Frost, 30,000 dollar body, and she adds Nike's as her finishing touch? I don't think so.Moonstone, Closet filled with the latest from Prada and She wears/wore the pajamas with the feet attached?Monet St. Croix, born into royalty, opted to keep her gucci ensemble clean instead of saving some random's life... and she wears...... idk, what type of shoes does she wear?"
    I completely agree. It's fiction. They look better in heels. Why does everything always have to be PC?!
    Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36  Edited By Tainted-Cell

DMC, is that Lady Ziggy Stardust you've got there?
    Namorita didn't wear boots, and look where it got her. Fist full of Nitro.
    But Iron Fist doesn't wear boots...

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nahero
    Babs said:
    "Ahh fun times!@Hey I can run fast in high heels, in no way shape or form does that make me a hooker -_-"

don't worry about it i highly doubt people think your a hooker especially me or pix
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pixelized
    Nahero said:
    "Babs said:
    "Ahh fun times!@Hey I can run fast in high heels, in no way shape or form does that make me a hooker -_-"
    don't worry about it i highly doubt people think your a hooker especially me or pix "
    Whoa now, you're jumping the gun there son.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Babs said:
    "pixelized said:
    "

Emma Frost, 30,000 dollar body, and she adds Nike's as her finishing touch? I don't think so.Moonstone, Closet filled with the latest from Prada and She wears/wore the pajamas with the feet attached?Monet St. Croix, born into royalty, opted to keep her gucci ensemble clean instead of saving some random's life... and she wears...... idk, what type of shoes does she wear?"
    I completely agree. It's fiction. They look better in heels. Why does everything always have to be PC?!"
    I completely disagree unless we are talking about female characters as in characters that are female but not superheroes.Heels don't work with alot of super-heroine costumes..and throwing them in is just reaching to make them look more feminine.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pixelized
    Vance Astro said:
    "Babs said:
    "pixelized said:
    "

I completely agree. It's fiction. They look better in heels. Why does everything always have to be PC?!"
    I completely disagree unless we are talking about female characters as in characters that are female but not superheroes.Heels don't work with alot of super-heroine costumes..and throwing them in is just reaching to make them look more feminine.
    "
    I meant it more for the examples that i showed, where personality would make it ridiculous for them not to wear. And 2 out of 3 of them fly, so walking/running is not a problem. And emma is distance anyway.
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Precise
    Vance Astro said:
    "I completely disagree unless we are talking about female characters as in characters that are female but not superheroes.Heels don't work with alot of super-heroine costumes..and throwing them in is just reaching to make them look more feminine."
    What's wrong with that? It's comics, not real life.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By No_Name_
    pixelized said:
    "Nahero said:
    "Babs said:
    don't worry about it i highly doubt people think your a hooker especially me or pix "
    Whoa now, you're jumping the gun there son."
    Really? I didn't laugh.
    Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nahero
    pixelized said:
    "Nahero said:
    "Babs said:
    you wanna tell what that means
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Precise said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "I completely disagree unless we are talking about female characters as in characters that are female but not superheroes.Heels don't work with alot of super-heroine costumes..and throwing them in is just reaching to make them look more feminine."
    What's wrong with that? It's comics, not real life."
    So what? It's poor character designing.You think when people design a character they go "Oh I can just through this in,who will care? It's not real anyway!" I like my comics made as close to real life as it can get.
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Precise
    Vance Astro said:
    "So what? It's poor character designing.You think when people design a character they go "Oh I can just through this in,who will care? It's not real anyway!" I like my comics made as close to real life as it can get."
    That where we disagree, i read comics for the fantasy world they create. If i want real life i'll watch a movie or go out into the world.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By pixelized
    Babs said:
    "pixelized said:
    "Nahero said:
    "Babs said:
    Really? I didn't laugh."
    Because you didn't know i was kidding? alright.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    pixelized said:
    I meant it more for the examples that i showed, where personality would make it ridiculous for them not to wear. And 2 out of 3 of them fly, so walking/running is not a problem. And emma is distance anyway. "
    M and Moonstone have no business wearing heels.
    Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nahero
    pixelized said:
    "Babs said:
    "pixelized said:
    "Nahero said:
    "Babs said:
    Really? I didn't laugh."
    Because you didn't know i was kidding? alright."
    well didn't see that comming
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By No_Name_

So was I :)

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pixelized
    Vance Astro said:
    "pixelized said:
    I meant it more for the examples that i showed, where personality would make it ridiculous for them not to wear. And 2 out of 3 of them fly, so walking/running is not a problem. And emma is distance anyway. "
    M and Moonstone have no business wearing heels.
    "
    Why not?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.