Follow

Carol Danvers

Character » Carol Danvers appears in 4390 issues.

After encountering the Kree hero Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers was accidentally subjected to otherworldly radiation that transformed her into a superhuman warrior. Calling herself Ms. Marvel, she established herself as one of the most powerful and prominent heroes and respected member of the Avengers. She has now adopted the mantle of Captain Marvel for herself.

I hope this new costume doesn't last...its' so....Generic.

• 81 results
    daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By daedalus25

And with issue #7 of "Captain" Marvel, the book has already dropped out of the top 100 - something that didn't happen to Ms. Marvel's previous run until issue #32. Can we have the real Ms. Marvel back now?

Distraction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Distraction

@daedalus25 said:

And with issue #7 of "Captain" Marvel, the book has already dropped out of the top 100 - something that didn't happen to Ms. Marvel's previous run until issue #32. Can we have the real Ms. Marvel back now?

Since the book is about Carol Danvers we already have the real Ms. Captain Marvel. I understand if some don’t that like that fact she taken a new code name, although it’s not the first time she’s done so. On a personal note I like that she’s the new Captain Marvel… Wait is this more butthurt about the costume change.

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By daedalus25

@Distraction said:

@daedalus25 said:

Since the book is about Carol Danvers we already have the real Ms. Captain Marvel. I understand if some don’t that like that fact she taken a new code name, although it’s not the first time she’s done so. On a personal note I like that she’s the new Captain Marvel… Wait is this more butthurt about the costume change.

It's butthurt over both the costume and name change. :P

And yes, she's changed names before but at least Warbird was a decent name for her (at least I didn't mind that one). But the fans fought and finally got her name changed back to Ms. Marvel. For what? For Marvel to just change the name again? And they've yet to come up with a good explanation for why she would want to be called a "Captain" when she's an Air Force Colonel. The whole name and costume change is completely out of character for Carol, which is why I don't consider this the "real" Carol Danvers. I'd be fine if they explained it all away as another Skrull imposter.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#54  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

They changed the costume to attract more Female readers. This book is mainly for females.

Distraction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Distraction

@daedalus25 said:

@Distraction said:

@daedalus25 said:

And yes, she's changed names before but at least Warbird was a decent name for her (at least I didn't mind that one). But the fans fought and finally got her name changed back to Ms. Marvel. For what? For Marvel to just change the name again? And they've yet to come up with a good explanation for why she would want to be called a "Captain" when she's an Air Force Colonel. The whole name and costume change is completely out of character for Carol, which is why I don't consider this the "real" Carol Danvers. I'd be fine if they explained it all away as another Skrull imposter.

You don’t’ considers her to be the “real” Carol Danvers that’ your opinion; however that doesn’t change the fact she is the real Carol Danvers. So there's no need for it to be explained away as another Skrull imposter. I don’t see how the name and costume change is out of Character, because she’s change both her name and costume in the past. I’m sure you know that the black bathing suit wasn’t her original costume in the first place. That said we going to have agree to disagree and I’m going to leave it at that.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By TheCrowbar

@TheCrowbar said:

Only comicbook fans would complain about a woman in full spandex and claim "comic tradition" but not bat an eye at all the iconic male heroes in body armor now.

reposting this.

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By daedalus25

@Distraction said:

@daedalus25 said:

@Distraction said:

@daedalus25 said:

You don’t’ considers her to be the “real” Carol Danvers that’ your opinion; however that doesn’t change the fact she is the real Carol Danvers. So there's no need for it to be explained away as another Skrull imposter. I don’t see how the name and costume change is out of Character, because she’s change both her name and costume in the past. I’m sure you know that the black bathing suit wasn’t her original costume in the first place. That said we going to have agree to disagree and I’m going to leave it at that.

Of course I know the black costume wasn't her original - that's the whole reason I said this new costume change is out of character for her. The whole POINT to the black costume was to get AWAY from the Captain Marvel look and be her own person with her own look, not just a Captain Marvel wannabe. Now suddenly she's going back to that look? And taking the name too? So much for being her own person.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By TrueMarvel

@mimic12 said:

@guttridgeb said:

@weaponx:

No Caption Provided

I like it, it fits the captain title. Having said that, I do not like the hair

I think this costume is very cool. People just dont like it because they cant see he legs anymore. Just like Power Girl. People dont like her new costume becuse they cant see her cleavage anymore.

Tho what you said is true...

i can honestly say that this new Ms Marvel Looks like Power girl in a different suit.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#59  Edited By joshmightbe

Am I the only one to see the similarity

No Caption Provided

Marvel Man

Avatar image for thecasketfiller
    TheCasketFiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By TheCasketFiller

the suit is fine but i dislike the hair. i have no problem with short hair, just for some reason with ms.marvel i do not feel like it fits. anybody else would probably be fine

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Crimsonlord53

It would look better if a color was dropped or the red was darker.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By COBRAMORPH

Blame her getting a movie, as they'd never be able to pull off the lightning bolt bathing suit properly. Plus, once the movie comes out, she'll always have that costume, since the mainstream will only know of her from said movie.

Your only hope of either the original or black suit coming back is if her movie fails. So dont see the Captain Marvel movie. As she wont be using the Ms name either.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Blame her getting a movie, as they'd never be able to pull off the lightning bolt bathing suit properly. Plus, once the movie comes out, she'll always have that costume, since the mainstream will only know of her from said movie.

Your only hope of either the original or black suit coming back is if her movie fails. So dont see the Captain Marvel movie. As she wont be using the Ms name either.

I don't think there's been a film confirmed yet.

coluanprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By coluanprime

I think the costume does look a little generic but with a few improvements it could look great. I think (as seen in the image below from a new issue) the black improves the costume immensely, making much more distinctive. I might also make to boots (and maybe the gloves) thigh-high (/opera glove length) so that there's a bit of a visual callback to her old outfit but still having it be different and new.

No Caption Provided

coluanprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This comes from the Punisher/Black Widow movie and except for the hair it looks great!

No Caption Provided

ScarletWench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really do dislike her new hair style.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

Personally I liked both costumes.

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
    HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it, looks like something a pilot would choose to wear, like a classic male hero would wear, even the helmet she sometimes has adds to the 1930s look.

Edit: In fact does anyone remember pulp hero Captain Midnight? It looks like something he would wear... Which is a good thing. Her costume matches her personality, which is all important for me, I want to loose myself in a comic, if I wanted T&A I've got the Internet, its cheaper ;)

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@jonsmith:

totally agree with you about the hair.

It doesn't bother me the new costume, I prefer the classic though. The thing is her new haircut. it looks like a lesbian, it is kinda masculine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I like the new costume, but the old ones are nice too.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

its perfect honestly. we don't get a lot of female characters to be treated in this light and i love everything about the decision. quite rankly her old costume is way more generic

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is what it all boils down to.

Of course I know the black costume wasn't her original - that's the whole reason I said this new costume change is out of character for her. The whole POINT to the black costume was to get AWAY from the Captain Marvel look and be her own person with her own look, not just a Captain Marvel wannabe. Now suddenly she's going back to that look? And taking the name too? So much for being her own person.

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@degalon: Except that, as Steve pointed out in the first issue of Captain Marvel, she took Mar-Vell's legacy a long time ago. The name, the Hala star, they're part of who she is, she can't get away from that. So she's owning it, redefining it and making it hers.

Look, guys, the bathing suit was an artefact of an older time. So was the Ms. Marvel codename. It is not coming back, Marvel have made that very clear, and may I say, thank god for that.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Am I the only one to see the similarity

No Caption Provided

Marvel Man

and Miraclewoman

No Caption Provided
    The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Costume I like, it embodies the Cap. Marvel title, and the fact that she has that title is a big character thing. That said... Not feeling the hair... At all...

GothamCiti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By GothamCiti

At least it's modest

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dislike the old black one piece costume

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@weaponx:

No Caption Provided

I like it, it fits the captain title. Having said that, I do not like the hair

You know it's a super boring costume when deflecting bullets and the Dodsons can't make it look interesting.

Nerdbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the black leotard costume, because I thought she looked most attractive in it. I also preferred it when she had long hair because I think long hair looks better and if I am buying a comic I like having it's female population be attractive according to my definition of beauty. That said I am glad the original captain marvel is gone because I found him boring as a character. He brought nothing new to the table and he was hard to identify with. I think that she is now called Captain Marvel is how it always should have been I would just prefer her old costume because I enjoyed the fanservice.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I prefer the new one more. I don't really think long hair is necessary for an action focused heroine, and the new design reminds me of The Rocketeer's imagery and aviation as a field at the same time, which work for her character. Even the shorter hair works for her, as most military women cut their hair to barely chin length. She looks more serious now and less like another random superheroine, to be honest.

^^^^^^^^This

But I did like Carol old costume as well.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most generic superhero costume for the most generic superhero name...hey at least there is consistency...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.