Follow

Captain Marvel

Character » Captain Marvel appears in 929 issues.

A captain in the Kree militia, Mar-Vell rebelled against a racist tyrannical empire to defend Earth and in so doing became the "Protector of the Universe" known as Captain Marvel. Since his tragic death to cancer, Captain Marvel has inspired many superheroes and heroines and his legacy is still felt throughout the Marvel universe.

Captain Mar-Vell vs Captain Marvel

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Martian

Who do you guys think would win in a battle between Captain Mar-Vell and Captain Marvel(Billy Bastion)?

GoocherLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By GoocherLee

Good fight, but I don't think Mar-Vell has the ability to go toe to toe with Superman like Billy's alter ego can.

Its a decent match-up though, I mean their both tapped into a devine power source, both are speedy-fast, both have hard won battle experience, both have brought down nigh-omnipotent opponents, both have the stamina to go the distance, but in the end, Captain Marvel has a few more tricks up his sleeve than does Captain Mar-Vell.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Martian

Captain Marvel huh? The edge I see Mar-Vell having is that he has more experince being that he a Captain in an Alien army and stuff and Cap Marvel is still a kid. But I really don't know who would win.

GoocherLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GoocherLee

I thought the fighting experience Captain Marvel [SHAZAM] has is gained AS Captain Marvel, not necessarilly as Billy.

And other than Kingdom Come, isn't Billy Batson going to age.... ever?

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sling Shot

Also Shazam has the Solomon Wisdom factor. Even if Marv-ell has cosmic awareness that translates as knowledge whereas wisdom is knowledge properly applied.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Martian

His cosmic awareness can allow him to see the weakness of others though. Also it can work as danger sense. And he also has had his advanced alien training. I still don't knwo who would win for sure but I know it would be a close one.

Deep Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Deep Blue

Shazam all the way!

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Martian

Care to explain why?

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Martian

I posted this one along time ago. But now that Mar-Vell is coming back we may get some more responses. So what do you guys think?

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Supreme Marvel

say the abilities of Captain Mar-vell please and i will tell you why Captain Marvel will win. even though now he is Lord Marvel.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Martian

Mar-Vell's powers:

Mar-Vell had the abilities to absorb Solar Energy. By doing this it increased his strength, gave him the ability to fire blast of energy, and fly. He also had his "cosmic Awareness" which made him smarter and gave him the ability to "see" and enemy's weakness.

With the Nega-Bands, Mar-Vell was able to store more Solor Energy and focus his Photon Blast. He was also able to switch places with Rick Jones in the Negative Zone by hitting the Bands together.

Mar-Vell was in the Kree Army. By this he had advance knowledge of warfare and advance weapons. He also had advanced Kree training in hand-to-hand combat.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Captain Marvel has:

S for the Wisdom of Solomon: As Captain Marvel, Billy has instant access to a vast amount of scholarly knowledge. The wisdom of Solomon also gives Marvel clairvoyance and provides him with counsel and advice in times of need. He has knowledge of all languages, ancient and modern, and could hypnotize people through this power.

* Superhuman Knowledge* Clairvoyance* Omni-lingual* Hypnosis

H for the Strength of Hercules: Dubbed "The World's Mightiest Mortal," Captain Marvel has incredible amounts of super strength, able to easily bend steel, punch through walls, and lift massive objects. Marvel's strength is enough that he has fought beings such as Superman or Wonder Woman to a standstill.

* Superhuman Strength

And also because he is Marvel now, he has all of its power so he is stronger than Superman or people like him: including Darkseid, wonder women, superboy-prime...i think you get my point

A for the Stamina of Atlas: Using Atlas' endurance, Captain Marvel can withstand and survive most types of extreme physical assaults. Additionally, he does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe when in Captain Marvel form.

* Superhuman Stamina* Self-Sustenance

Z for the Power of Zeus: Zeus' power, besides fueling the magic thunderbolt that transforms Captain Marvel, also enhances Marvel's other physical abilities, provides physical invulnerability and resistance against most magic spells and attacks, and allows for inter-dimensional travel. Marvel can use the lightning bolt as a weapon by dodging it and allowing it to strike an opponent or target. The magical lightning has many uses, including creating apparatus, restoring damage done to Marvel, or acting as fuel for magical spells.

* Invulnerability* Magical Resistance* Physical Enhancement* Inter-dimensional Travel: This can only be used to travel to the Rock of Eternity* Spell Source* Advanced Healing

A for the Courage of Achilles: Like the wisdom, this aspect is primarily psychological, and gives Marvel superhuman amounts of inner strength from which to draw.

* Superhuman Inner Strength

M for the Speed of Mercury: By channeling Mercury's speed, Captain Marvel can fly and move at supersonic speeds while in atmosphere and at faster-than-light speed while in space. Hermes Trismegistus (Greek for "thrice-great Hermes"), an occultist aspect of Hermes/Mercury, also gives him the ability to wield magic and cast spells, though Billy has never used this as Captain Marvel, apparently because he doesn't know how.

* Supersonic Speed* Flight* Sorcery

Currently Billy has not left his Captain Marvel form since Shazam died and as taking the role that his mentor had he now had physically changed in that form. As the new Guardian of the Rock of Eternity, Billy possesses even more power then he had as Captain Marvel.

In the the Tenth Age of Magic, Billy is 1000x more powerful (Knowing how to wield Magic now), and 1.000.000x more powerful while in the Rock of Eternity, in his Captain Marvel form. As Lord Marvel, Billy has even more power, among them:

Inherent Omnipresent: possessing the power to be everywhere, at all times (i.e. multiple dimensions and places in time).

Inherent Omniscience: possessing the power to know anything that he chooses to know and can be known

Inherent Omnipotent: possessing the vast magical powers, and ability to many thing he wants.

Telepathy: ability to read the minds of others and project thoughts.

Sorcery: As the High Lord of Magic, Billy has omnipotent mastery of magics and mysticism. He truly knows magic and can cast spells to achieve a number of powerful results. Assume he could easily do anything with Amazing strength and effect. He has unlimited access to Personal, Universal and Dimensional Energies.

Cosmic Awareness: power to sense the presence of beings and objects in the universe.

Immortal

Post Edited:2007-08-29 17:36:52

Avatar image for terminal_velocity
    Terminal Velocity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This clearly goes to the original Captain Marvel, he is much more powerful in every way.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Martian

I will admit that the current Captain Marvel beats him. What about the more classic Captain Marvel vs Mar-Vell though?

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Supreme Marvel

the classic marvel would still beat him, his strength was on par with superman. he could catch up to the flash if you read "Justice". he has vast amount of invulnerability. he would be able to know al about you with a thought. move fast enough and hit you so hard you will think he's dead again.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Martian

My thinking is that Mar-Vell has been able to take on Thanos and the Vine said that Superman would lose to Thanos. So if Cap Marvel is on par with Superman then Mar-Vell should beable to stand up to him as well. I could be wrong here. And if I am sorry for wasting your time.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Supreme Marvel

dont be sorry. this is what the site is for. in Kingdom come, you could see that Captain Marvel was beating Superman, until he said Shazam... but i dont think he needs to say it in this fight.

and Captain Marvel is on par with strength. speed wise he's faster. well come on he gets his powers from the gods. i do relies i dont know a whole lot about Captain Mar-vell. but i know enought to say who would win.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Martian

Mar-Vell is able to move faster than the speed of light. So his speed should be somewhere around Cap Marvel. His strength though I don't think can quite match up with Marvel's though he can increase it using the Nega-bands and absorbing more solor energy. So he might beable to. Then with his cosmic awarness and energy blast I think he makes a fair match up.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Supreme Marvel

captain marvel has the wisdom of Solomon, so he with a thought can know all he wants about Captain Mar-vell. and if he moves faster than light he cant see where Captain Marvel is.

i dont think that his level of strength could damage Captain Marvel. and plus Captain Marvel has super stamina, endurance so he could go for days and he dosen'tneed to sleep, eat, drink or even breathe.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Supreme Marvel

i just read somewhere that Captain Mar-vell died of exposure to nerve gas that proved cancerous.

thats a shitty way to kill off a character

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Valkaad

I think Mar-vell gets owned big time. Mar-vell never demonstrated an ability to travel at anywhere near Captain Marvel's speed. Even at his peak power level, after the radiation treatments enhanced his strength, he could only lift 15 tons. I think original captain marvel who is nearly as strong as superman and faster than the flash would pulverize Mar-vell easily.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Valkaad

Post Deleted.

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Sparda

Just pointing out, according to Methos: No DC character ever goes faster than light. If Mar-Vell can, I guess he's faster than Marvel. Mar-Vell still loses, though.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Valkaad

Sparda says:

"Just pointing out, according to Methos: No DC character ever goes faster than light. If Mar-Vell can, I guess he's faster than Marvel. Mar-Vell still loses, though. "

Nothing I ever saw from Mar-vell suggested he could enter hyperspace, or even travel at light speed.

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Sparda

Valkaad says:

"Sparda says:
    "Just pointing out, according to Methos: No DC character ever goes faster than light. If Mar-Vell can, I guess he's faster than Marvel. Mar-Vell still loses, though. "

Nothing I ever saw from Mar-vell suggested he could enter hyperspace, or even travel at light speed."

Somebody said it here, so.....meh.....

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Valkaad

Sparda says:

"Valkaad says:
    "Sparda says:
    Nothing I ever saw from Mar-vell suggested he could enter hyperspace, or even travel at light speed."
    Somebody said it here, so.....meh....."

mah

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Valkaad

moh
    Post Edited:2007-08-29 19:39:43

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Apparition

muh

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Martian

I was the one that said that he travel faster than light which he could since he travelled across galaxies in no time. As far as the strength Marvel does have him beat here. Mar-Vell did die of cancer, not sure how that is a bad way for a hero to die. Actually makes them a pretty good warrior. As I said he has taken on Thanos which the Vine agreed would beat Superman. That has to count for something.

DragonGateAcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DragonGateAcer

i go with captain marvel

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Captain Marvel is more powerful.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Nobody says:

"I was the one that said that he travel faster than light which he could since he travelled across galaxies in no time. "

Light travels at 299 792 458 miles per second. our galaxy is over 100,000 light years across. If it takes light to travel 2.5 seconds to reach the moon from Earth, do you know how long it would take to travel galaxies? A very very long time, not "no time".

"As I said he has taken on Thanos which the Vine agreed would beat Superman. That has to count for something."

as for that, i was one of the people who think Superman would beat him. And vote Superman on beating Mar-vell. So my vote with this goes to Captain Marvel. With more power than Mar-vell, but on the other hand, i now see that dying of cancer isn't so bad any more. I see it in a different way now.

Barry Flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Barry Flash

I think Captain Marvel wins.

Avatar image for mar_vell_liberation_front
    Mar-Vell Liberation Front

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I go with Mar-Vell, I realize Batson is stronger, although Mar-Vell is often underrated even by his own company, but I think the deciding factor here if we can remove ourselves from fanboyship, Mar-Vell is aware and knowledge is power.

Mar-Vell would find a way, he always does.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mar-Vell, Captain Marvel.

The Shazam Captain Marvel is stronger and more of a powerhouse, however Mar-Vell is smarter and faster, which can be argued, however, Mar-Vell has more hand to hand fighting skills.

If neither had any superpowers and it was an octagon, Mar-Vell would win.

Having said that though, respect should be given to the Fawcett Captain Marvel, and I think they'd team up and beat the crap out of Noh-Varr.

Both of these characters are so underrated by even their own companies, especially in Mar-Vell's case.

Satansunday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Satansunday

Shazam all the way, it really is comparing appples to oranges. One is powered by the gods while the other is just a soldier with some powerful bracelets. granted Mar-vell maybe a better skilled fighter than Batson but I doubt he can hang with someone who has God like abilities. It's like comparing Hal Jordan (who I would like to see win) against Sentry, while Hal has the chops to outsmart Sentry , I think Sentry given his Super-like powers would overcome in the fray. So even if ur a Mar-Vell fan you have to admit that he just doesn't have the raw power to stand up to TheBig Red Cheese.
    Satansunday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Satansunday

Everybody's working for the weak end

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Supreme Marvel said:
    "

i just read somewhere that Captain Mar-vell died of exposure to nerve gas that proved cancerous.

thats a shitty way to kill off a character

"

Well said my friend, but a great thing to overcome. The trick is getting the message out there. I dunno what a great unused character, it's been long enough, they've made the statement time to use him for a new statement. I know that sounds corny, or whatever, but it's how I feel while I am alive. Bring back Mar-Vell, I think he'd want it that way.
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By Static Shock
    @Mar-Vell Liberation Front said:
    "Mar-Vell would find a way, he always does. "
    How does he go about doing that?
    Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billy wins.

cancerverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By cancerverse

Mar-vell

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By PowerHerc

The winner is: The one, true and (should be) only Captain Marvel - Billy Batson!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.