MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MissJ

The Good

We're at the midpoint of the ENEMY WITHIN event this month, and things are heating up -- Yon-Rogg/Magnitron is wreaking global havoc with a bunch of Kree Sentries, and Carol and pals are still trying to connect the dots to figure out who they're facing, all while trying to mitigate the threat at hand. That's exhausting for a hero without a power-draining lesion.

But Carol is brilliantly determined -- deadly brain lesion or not, she's going to do whatever she can to save the world. It's an admirable sort of stubbornness, and Kelly Sue DeConnick has built this in as an indelible part of her character. Carol is consistent to the core, and even agrees to give up her apartment (cue the New Yorkers fainting) just to move things forward in her investigation and find her mysterious enemy's identity.

DeConnick just gets this character. She gets all of the characters that show up in this series, and even the cameos feel fully realized. The dialogue is always on point; everything moves the story forward, it feels conversational rather than writerly, and it's filled with little gems like Bruce Banner's "I don't actually get invited into people's homes very often."

Speaking of that supporting cast -- it's been one of the strongest aspects of CAPTAIN MARVEL since the beginning, and it's part of the reason the series is so pleasant to read. Carol gets by with a little help from her friends, and stays mostly down-to-earth because of them (well, except for that dangerous flying she's doing so much of). Every one of Carol's pals has a distinct personality, from persnickety old lady to savvy detective, and everyone has something to contribute to the story. Avengers drop in to help -- because they're Avengers, of course -- but also share some genuine exchanges with Carol & co. It's a great ensemble, but the story is still distinctly Carol-centric, and I think that's a perfect balance for a solo book.

Jordie Bellaire is a wizard on colors. Anything she touches looks incredible. I'm especially a fan of how she handles flashback sequences (she's been rocking these in several books lately) -- the palette choices are fantastic.

The Bad

I adore this book, but the pencilling has felt inconsistent for several months, and continues to do so with another artist switch since the last issue. Scott Hepburn returns to this event, picking up from THE ENEMY WITHIN #1, and a peek at the solicits for CAPTAIN MARVEL #14 reveals that he's back again -- hopefully he'll stick around for a while so the book can have some visual continuity.

The Verdict

Sign me up for the Carol Corps. CAPTAIN MARVEL, in the hands of Kelly Sue DeConnick, has become one of my favorite Marvel titles, and Carol Danvers has become one of my favorite Marvel ladies. I'd be concerned about the lesion on her brain, but she's just so strong and confidently determined that I'm not even worried -- I just want to see the amazing face-off she has with Magnitron before she eventually takes care of what's going on inside her head.

CBninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First!

And I'm glad they the art improved alittle. I just hope it stays atleast this good. If it goes back to the old artist il prolly drop the book.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By akbogert

I'm pretty sure I've seen confirmed that the artist of the last few issues before this event was coming back afterwards, but I don't recall where (if I had to guess, it'd be a @v_scarlotte_rose thread :P).

I am loving this crossover. I thought the last was kind of an unexciting segue between the opening and this issue, but DeConnick has quickly become one of the most impressive writers I've yet to read. She has made me regret not having looked into Carol or Jessica sooner.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@akbogert said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen confirmed that the artist of the last few issues before this event was coming back afterwards, but I don't recall where (if I had to guess, it'd be a @v_scarlotte_rose thread :P).

I am loving this crossover. I thought the last was kind of an unexciting segue between the opening and this issue, but DeConnick has quickly become one of the most impressive writers I've yet to read. She has made me regret not having looked into Carol or Jessica sooner.

I had heard on his own blog that Felipe Andrade was coming back, but according to the solicits, Scott Hepburn is drawing #15, and Patrick Oliffe is drawing #16.

Patrick Oliffe seems to draw pretty well:

No Caption Provided

I can't comment on the quality of this review though. I haven't got my copy yet, so I scrolled down to the comment I was tagged in. Avoiding spoilers.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

honestly don't know why i'm still reading this series, ms marvel is one of my fav female heroes but god...i just hate what they've done to her, and this series isnt helping, the first few issues with the time traveling and monica rambeau (THE REAL female captain marvel) were great but every thing else? yawn.

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ultra_beleco

Love this book. Love how Carol's personality is the focus of her series more them everything else. Can't wait for the conclusion of this crossover.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I still think this is a boring book.

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
    victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People complain so much about this book & when I walked in to my LCS this issue was sold out. Boring as it might yall are still buying it. I think the weakest arc in this was the one with Monica Rambeau & the robot thing. While I haven't been completely sold by the art, KSD has been able to keep me reading, great issue.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

I think this series was amazing, but has started to get a bit aimless, even though the writing is still really good. Carol is one of my life-long favs and I'm glad she's no longer just furniture.

"OOH! BIG THREAT!" stories only work when your returning nemesis is someone we care about, usually. That's not what I get here.

Also, the art is seriously damaging this book. Right as I got used to Dexter Soy, they changed. I didn't like Rios and I haven't liked anyone since. What happened to De la Torre? Get him back on it. Get anyone on it besides the people they're picking. McKone would be amazing. KEEP them on it for a while, too.

Avatar image for sfgdfgsdgsfgsdg
    sfgdfgsdgsfgsdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow .Unbelievable. My friend Emily has just married to a handsome wealthy passionate manThey met through ~SeekingRìch.Ç o m~~ The largest dating site for meeting with successful wealthy guys and classy women (athletes,doctors,CEOs,models,lawyers,celebrities,etc….) Over 1700000 active members from local and worldwide. Easy to search. Live chat. Free to post & browse.Have a try!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.