Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11752 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

What's with Marvel depowering Caps fighting ability?

TheRegalBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheRegalBeast

Up until Cap supposedly died in 2007 he was considered Marvels best fighter.  I say this because on the Marvel site he used to be ranked a 7 in Fighting ability, now he's a 6.  (Marvels power scale only goes to 7.)

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Edgeworth_11

Wolverine is the best that's why.
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By Dracade102

Marvel just likes picking on the sentential of liberty? That's a good question, idk.

TheRegalBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheRegalBeast

Logan is a possible exception.  He's been fighting for hundreds of years.  I could get behind that.  On this site though Black Panther and even Dare Devil are supposedly better fighters.  Just to further the conversation, Cap was the best agility and acrobatic fighter until Spider-man was created.  Marvel took that away too. 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

He is 3 years older now, so maybe that?  

lol, no, possibly to emphasis his will and mental toughness being that much more superior. If Cap fights an equal physical stats opponent who is ranked a 7, Cap is a sort of underdog, but his determination and will should see him though, if that makes sense? Its not like his decrease is really reflected in the comics, he still put down Fafnir.  

Fighting category is probably the weakest category for the handbooks anyway, I have spoke to a few guys who contribute to the official ones, cool guys, but yeah, its quite flawed. 

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Gambit1024
    @TheRegalBeast: Never take those rankings seriously. It also gives Spider-Man a 1 in all categories.. 
    Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

I could really care less about how Marvel thinks a character's fighting ability is, as long as they don't start actually showing him lose fights he should win, if your debating for Cap you really should know that he probably has more fighting experience than anyone else in Comics because of Kang

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By PowerHerc
    @TheRegalBeast said:
    "Up until Cap supposedly died in 2007 he was considered Marvels best fighter.  I say this because on the Marvel site he used to be ranked a 7 in Fighting ability, now he's a 6.  (Marvels power scale only goes to 7.) "

I've wondered why Marvel changed it from 7 to 6 as well.  It has yet to be explained as far as I know.  
    I still think Cap (Steve Rogers) is the best fighter in the Marvel Universe and I think his rating should be 7.
    ThanoStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThanoStomp

I agree with the consensus as well.  If the Cap movie is good, maybe we'll see Marvel put him back on the top of the podium.   Of the battle threads I've reach on this site like  Cap vs. Blackpanther, or Iron Fist, or DD. Steve Rodgers Cap typically wins those, with the exception of a 50/50 with Black panther. 

The one that irks me the most is the Batman fanboys.  Cap *should* win this every time.  But for some reason, people think Cap is peak human, like Batman.  He's not.  He's enhanced beyond peak.  So even if they were equal in random H2H, Cap should win.

greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By greenteaforme

Because there's no legitimate reason for Cap to be such a skilled fighter.

His training was lackluster and brief, and any training after that was only for a relatively short period of time compared to the lifetime of training other people have had.

Logically, he shouldn't be a very good martial artist at all.

They made him into a martial artist because he brings nothing else to the table.

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#11  Edited By TronHammer

@greenteaforme said:

Because there's no legitimate reason for Cap to be such a skilled fighter.

His training was lackluster and brief, and any training after that was only for a relatively short period of time compared to the lifetime of training other people have had.

Logically, he shouldn't be a very good martial artist at all.

They made him into a martial artist because he brings nothing else to the table.

I think the super soldier serum not only enhanced his body, but also his ability to master physical movements which would enable him to master different forms of martial arts much faster than ordinary people.

Avatar image for samuel_larson_10
    samuel_larson_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By samuel_larson_10

even if cap is ranked at six have you seen his fights in AvX? The dude never loses!

voodoo1971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By voodoo1971

Cap should be higher because the super soldier serum allows him to learn anything and everything quicker then the average joe plus he is in peek physical shape. But you have to consider Shang Chi, Iron Fist, Dare Devil(Ninja), and Black Panther. Even Nick Fury to a certain point he has been around for ages so I'm sure he has been perfecting his fighting as well. Dare Devil held his own for a little while against Wolverine(maybe all types of Japanese fighting techniques/styles-see Enemy of the State series) and that was Wolverine in a rage fighting but before Dare Devil became deeper into this Ninja stuff and took over the Hand.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CrimsonCake

Maybe because 6 is the maximum level a human can reach?And has marvel said He's peak human not super human however that's debatable.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alexander505

@TheRegalBeast said:

Up until Cap supposedly died in 2007 he was considered Marvels best fighter. I say this because on the Marvel site he used to be ranked a 7 in Fighting ability, now he's a 6. (Marvels power scale only goes to 7.)

Nop. Iron Fist is better than Cap in martial arts, ergo, Iron Fist is a better fighter than Cap. Cap is overrated, man ;)

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Enosisik

Doesn't the serum slowly deplete over time? Ever since his death they've started to push him as an old hero so maybe this is just a way of them slowly showing that time is catching up with the serum.

LoganX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LoganX360

Actually the RPG thing for marvel has been rewritten by DC comic skrull writers to even up some marvel characters to the constantly rebooted DC heroes' . as far as the new Captain Sucker punch i dont understand this ..... how the hell did gambit charge up his shield so fast , u know how dense captains Vibranium / Adamantium shield is .& after he charged it .. it blew up but Captain sucker punch still had it . & ontop of holding on to his after blowned up shield his armor gets charged up also & blown up & he's just there chillin . whats going on in marvel now is freakin ridiculous . ....someone explain .

jimmyziogas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jimmyziogas

I assume its because Chris Evans is a homosexual, and they want to play down that aspect of Cap....

seriously, whoever Chris Evans and Ryan Reynolds blew to get these amazing roles, has obviously no interest in the sanctity of our favorite superheroes. Putting soming twink in the role only ruins our fantasies of these movies being believable

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Mercy_

@jimmyziogas: Dude, c'mon. Not okay at all.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By ReVamp

This should be an outright ban.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By tg1982

@ReVamp: I agree.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By PowerHerc

Marvel doesn't want to emphasize Cap's fighting ability anymore.

They'd rather showcase Woverine, Iron Fist, Daredevil and Deadpool (Great hand-to-hand fighters all) because they all seem more hip. It's hard to believe Marvel used to present Cap as the "Ultimate Fighting Machine."

Even though that's no longer how they describe him, Captain America is still the Ultimate Fighting Machine. He's Marvel's best H2H combatant

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Cap has no reason whatsoever to be the best and neither is there any evidence to prove he is. I don't see why anyone should even disagree with the assessment that he isn't

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By soduh2

I think Captain Americas credentials are dubious. How much training could he possibly pull off while in World War 2? Even with a "peak human" mind and body.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.