Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Off My Mind: What Does Steve Rogers' Return as Captain America Mean for Bucky?

• 86 results
    Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

Am I the ONLY one who seez the obvious route...?? Stevie boy picks up the mantle/burden that  was always his returns to doing what he does best, avenges Bucky  &wait for it Barnes comes out of his coma to assume the role of.... Yehh u totlly dint guess it.. DIRECTOR of SHIELD..  

I mean, who ELSE would be better for the role the guys been the winter soldier.. been through hell &back taken on a job NO man in his right mind would &not only handled it but flourished.. I say get Barrack to give him a full pardon etc make him the New shield Top Dog with Hand as his..erm right hand.. &Good Ole Saint Nick as his consigliere.. Perfect ending, goodnight

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By TheMess1428

Captain America Incorporated? lol

Sky_Jokiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53  Edited By Sky_Jokiel

Steve is and forever will be Captain America... I just hope to god they give Bucky a half decent suit to wear if they keep him around

ChrisAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By ChrisAngel
    @War Killer said:

, CAPTAIN AMERICA IS NOT BATMAN!  

No, bty there ARE very similar parallels. Bruce Wayn pushed himself to become this terror to the criminal element. He became what he was for a reason: Justice, so some degree. Steve Rogers was groomed to become a national symbol, as much a symbol of justice as batman is. Two different ways of looking at the same picture, but similarities exist.  

@War Killer said: 
    But the big difference is that Batman IS Bruce Wayne, we've heard it a million times over and we've read about it in the comics. Bruce is the mask, where Batman is his true face. 

Im geting slightly off track here, but I too have heard this said. And I'll say what I said then: "If Batman is the true face of Bruce wayne, than This is a man who seriously needs MASSIVE psychological help, and is as much in need of a straightjacket as the Joker." 

Lastly, it's my opinion that no matter how good Bucky had grown into the role of Captain America, All along even he really knew the truth of it. As good as he was, there was only ONE true Captain America, and that's Steve Rogers
    Avatar image for mysticalwarrior
    MysticalWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#55  Edited By MysticalWarrior

maybe bucky will be his sidekick like he was from the begining ???
    kimeraevet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By kimeraevet

::snore:: Sorry, I just woke up from my coma and the last thing I remember was Captain America being assassinated and thinking "Dude, fucking awesome. That took balls." So what's going on? Oh, Bucky became Cap? Cool. Cool. He was a badass at it too?Steve has Nick Fury's old job? SWEET! Wait, there is a Captain America movie coming out and it is nothing like that made-for-tv crap I saw when I was little? YES!!!  Wait,  Bucky is being removed so Steve can become Cap again just because the movie is coming out? Geez...I should have stayed in my coma.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#57  Edited By Darkchild

Im sorry DH an everyone who loves Bucky as Cap but 

Bucky is not Cap, he never will be and i never will see him as Cap. Sure he deserves it in ways, but Steve Rogers will always and forever be my Cap. 

If they kill Bucky, i will be incredibly angry cuz its a stupid device to get Rogers back as Cap. But i do believe Rogers needs to come back to the mantle of Captain America.

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By GTG12

sweet but i hope they don't kil bucky.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#59  Edited By daredevil21134

Steve Rogers is the real Captain America, Bucky can go get his own mantle.Welcome Back Steve!!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

wow...shocker *sarcasm* who knows, maybe They'll BOTH be Captain America, then Steve will think that the world needs "America" so he makes a Captain America Inc

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @dragorith:  

Bruce Wayne and Steve Rogers are two characters that would have preferred to remain dead, and not out of dislike for the characters or anything. Steve's return worked a little better for me because of the symbolism of his death (signified change to a darker world) and rebirth (symbolized the end of Dark Reign). I was not and am not a fan of Bruce's return.  
    see that's the thing though, people keep saying how Bruce should have stayed dead, but unlike Cap, or Barry Allen, or Hal jordan, HE WAS NEVER DEAD!! even at the end of Final Crisis it was shown he was alive, the writers never intended on him being dead, only to bring him back for the fans, everything that happened to Bruce was completely planned, including his "Resurrection"
    EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#62  Edited By EganTheVile1

Note to all future Marvel writers: Stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By obscurefan
    @kimeraevet said:
    ::snore:: Sorry, I just woke up from my coma and the last thing I remember was Captain America being assassinated and thinking "Dude, fucking awesome. That took balls." So what's going on? Oh, Bucky became Cap? Cool. Cool. He was a badass at it too?Steve has Nick Fury's old job? SWEET! Wait, there is a Captain America movie coming out and it is nothing like that made-for-tv crap I saw when I was little? YES!!!  Wait,  Bucky is being removed so Steve can become Cap again just because the movie is coming out? Geez...I should have stayed in my coma.
    You and me both.
    ADAMocracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ADAMocracy

Okay! Now that they've done this, now that they made me fall in love with Bucky as Captain America, then they gave it back to Steve, I am now a member of the, "No more killing off characters if your just gonna have them come back and be the same as they were when they died, theres no more point in characters dieing. What when they bring back Human Torch there gonna stop this whole new thing there doing?

Avatar image for grandmaster_fro
    Grandmaster_Fro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Grandmaster_Fro

Isn't there supposed to be multiple Captain America. You can have both of them due to there being a Super Soldier Program

fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By fbdarkangel

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By PowerHerc

Steve being back as Captain America comes late but is still great.

Megan Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Megan Fox

Cap doesn't even matter anymore.Daredevil is Marvel's best street level hero.July will tell.

herculesfan43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By herculesfan43

Feel that is a poor standard i mean they just reinvent the character of Steve rogers have him lead the secret avengers and now they just take him back, feel like Thor when they take away the Odin power and resurrect Odin or the fact that they give Hercules the power of an all father and take it away in five issues. Just feels like your built up to a new character just to have it taken away.

Screamolad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Screamolad
    @daredevil21134
    Thats true.Steve needs to come back. Bucky is just some fake ass motherfucker.
    Captainthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Captainthunder

Bucky Barnes is Summer-Solider!
    lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#72  Edited By lorex

I hope Bucky is not killed off but remains a force in the Marvel universe. I think a fake death if done properly could be effective, and then have his acting as Cap's man in the shadows. Have him take on a new persona similar to Winter Soldier that no one knows but everyone has heard about. 

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By DEADPOOL

Steve didn't stay dead long, and Bucky wasn't Cap long either. Well, they took a shocking story arc and have finally brought things back to normal.

Avatar image for omertalvendetta
    Omertalvendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 6

#74  Edited By Omertalvendetta

Here's the only reason I think Bucky will die next issue... (I hope I'm wrong.) 

To quote Matt Fraction, 

"You'll be surprised what they let me get away with during Fear Itself." 

And, on a more jocular note, 

G-Man...   "How does Fear Itself end?" 
    Fraction... "Everyone dies." 

BAZINGA!

fedykin87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By fedykin87

about damn time if you ask me

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#76  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Megan Fox said:
    Cap doesn't even matter anymore.Daredevil is Marvel's best street level hero.July will tell.
    emmbro30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By emmbro30
    @War Killer said:         
    With Bucky behind the mask, we saw something we've never really seen with Steve: A Captain America who is still learning what it means to be a symbol and hero. Since the very beginning, we've never really got to see Steve struggle with being Captain America, he just seemed to figure it out on his own. But with Bucky, we got to see someone who doesn't know what it means to be a symbol of something bigger than one man. With Bucky behind the mask, we were able to see a character who has so much to live up to, so much responsibility, and to see as Bucky continue to slowly grow and learn what it truly means to be Captain America, it was really something refreshing. And I believe that it helped people better understand what it means to BE Captain America because we're right there WITH Bucky as he learns and grows within the role. We're there when he makes mistakes, we're there when he has doubts, and we're there when he would ask himself, "What would Steve do?" And to me personally, we'll never get that with Steve.   

I would invite you to read the 1991 four part classic "The Adventures of Captain America".  It does an excellent job of showing how Steve Struggled with his new found status as an American Symbol.   
    i for one am Glad to see Steve back as Cap.  While he did an amazing job filling Fury's position, Steve needs to be Cap.  As for Bucky, I'd like to see a whole new patriotic title for him.  No rehashing old worn out hero names.  Something new.  On the other hand seeing him go back to being Bucky as Cap's partner and not sidekick would be great too.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#78  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @emmbro30: I have read that series, which is very good even though it's not really in continuity. But even there, we still never saw Steve really struggle like we've seen with Bucky in the role. In the series Steve made a few mistakes and sure a few people died, but he still just slipped into the role with really no problem. But with Bucky, we get to see his doubts, we get to see him make mistakes and learn from them. Watching as he tries to live up to this HUGE standard that Steve set through all his years, while also making the role his own. And even now, we still really don't see Steve struggle with anything. The whole "man out of time" is overplayed in my opinion and really, even though Steve was born in the 1930's, he's been in the present long enough that I really don't buy that he's still having a hard time "getting use to today". And if you've read anything about the new Cap series, that's EXACTLY where Brubaker is taking the character....going back to the same old same old....
    NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By NXH

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Eyz

I'd still like to have multiple Caps, even if Bucky would have to pick up a new name.

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By progenitorigin

I've been a lifelong Captain America fan, and personally? I felt that the transition of Bucky becoming Captain America was a great choice, he's literally the only person I could see taking up the mantle, the only other person I think has the heart to be Captain America would be Jack Flag, who's a highly underrated character, in my opinion.  I was happy that they didn't actually kill Steve off, but this is Bucky's time to shine, just as Dick Grayson became Nightwing, how Tim Drake became Red Robin.  Bucky began coming into his own when he became Winter Soldier, but he made an incredibly smooth transition into Captain America, even if he didn't think himself worthy at first. 

I hope that Steve allows Bucky to remain Cap, I think that Steve Rogers was an incredible Captain America, he made the title famous, a legend, but as time goes by, new generations come along, and they deserve fresh faces, younger characters coming into their own.  This is just a bad call in writing, in my humble opinion, and I hope they fix this before they end up dumping Bucky into the melting pot of forgotten Marvel characters.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#82  Edited By Timandm
    @The Dark Huntress said:

I will ragequit if they kill Bucky. I already HATE that they're making Steve Cap again just because of the freaking movie (which looks awesome, btw) and if they kill Bucky off I will be incredibly disappointed and angry.

I won't like it either, but.... IF they do kill Bucky off, it's only a comic book death, and that means, he'll be back soon.  And when he comes back, he'll likely have a few improvements... Maybe more cybernetic parts.  Maybe they could bring him back from the dead and them make him Lieutenant America.  We could call him L.T. for short.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Timandm said:
    @The Dark Huntress said:

I will ragequit if they kill Bucky. I already HATE that they're making Steve Cap again just because of the freaking movie (which looks awesome, btw) and if they kill Bucky off I will be incredibly disappointed and angry.

I won't like it either, but.... IF they do kill Bucky off, it's only a comic book death, and that means, he'll be back soon.  And when he comes back, he'll likely have a few improvements... Maybe more cybernetic parts.  Maybe they could bring him back from the dead and them make him Lieutenant America.  We could call him L.T. for short.
    That's not the point, the point is that THEY JUST BROUGHT HIM BACK only a few years ago, and to kill him off now when he's such a popular character ONLY so Steve can become Cap again is total crap. Bucky shouldn't have to die at all and shouldn't have to give up being Captain America just because Steve has a movie coming out in a freakin' month....it's just a stupid money making scheme.

This whole thing isn't about writing a good story, it's just Marvel trying to make money off the Captain America movie.... -__-
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Timandm
    @War Killer: Well, sadly, it's always been about Marvel making money...  I've always felt bad for Bucky because I've never felt that he could ever really take the mantle of Captain America.  Now, I'm not saying he can't fill the shoes, he CAN and he DOES.  There are things I like about him much more than Steve in the role of Captain America.  But right from the beginning, you had all the other Super Heroes (his friends even) calling him "Bucky-Cap" which was just plain insulting... I would like to have seen the writers create an Arc where Bucky Kicks Ass and takes names (is that the expression?)  and makes it known beyond the shadow of a doubt that he IS Captain America...But it never happened.

Honestly, I'd like to see him come into his own...  I'd like to see him with his own super hero identity.  I'd like someone to emphasize that Bucky has accomplished what he has, WITHOUT the aid of the super soldier serum...  Although, in the future I WOULD like to see him with more gadgets.  As a character, I like him more than Steve Rogers.  I'm not putting Steve down.  Steve is great; he's an icon; he definitely has his role in the cosmic scheme of things.  But I identify more with Bucky.  Perhaps it's time for him to take off the stars and stripes and become more of a Batman like character.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Timandm: It interesting how you bring that up. I was actually reading an interview with Mat Fraction about Fear Itself #3 and he brings up that in the issue people stopped refeering to him as "Bucky" or "Bucky-Cap" and actually called him "Cap", he said he did that because he wanted to show that HE WAS CAPTAIN AMERICA, not a fill-in, not a replacement, he WAS the Sentinel of Liberty. Which I personally thought was cool.

I would like to have seen the writers create an Arc where Bucky Kicks Ass and takes names (is that the expression?)  and makes it known beyond the shadow of a doubt that he IS Captain America...But it never happened.

See, and that's where Marvel screwed up because we COULD HAVE seen that. The thing that I'm annoyed about with Marvel is that they're afraid of change. I've said this a million times and will continue to say it because I truly believe it: Steve Rogers death was the best thing to ever happen to Captain America. His death opened up so many new doors and new stories to be told, and even now there are still so many stories that can be told with Bucky as Cap. Some like you just brought up with him kicking butt and taking names. I would have loved to see Bucky prove himself as Captain America, to grow into the role so much that we'd one day see him shouting "Avengers Assemble!" and l leading the Avengers into battle like Steve, to see him grow more and more as a character and showing a whole new generation what it means to be Captain America.

But with Steve returning to the role, not to mention his death being basically forgotten, we will never see those stories come to pass. And don't get me wrong, I don't hate Steve Rogers (the first comic book I every got was with Steve as Cap), I just wish Marvel would actually allow these characters to die and allow a new era of Marvel comics come into light. But sadly, we may never see anything like that in the near future.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Timandm
    @War Killer: COMPLETELY agree with you on that...  What is wrong with change?  It's a part of life... Would it REALLY be bad to see Spider-Man  age, perhaps get married, have kids???  Is it truly IMPOSSIBLE for new heroes to come along and take the place of older ones who have done their duty and served their time?  Let them age... Let them mature...Let new heroes come along.. and yes, even let them die.... (and stay dead)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.