Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Off My Mind: Must There Be a Captain America?

• 102 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
    Who should be Captain America? Before you start yelling at me that it has to be Steve Rogers or mention the fact that we know he will be back in costume in July's new Captain America #1, let's discuss this. I want to be clear, in my eyes, Steve Rogers is Captain America. There have been others that have successfully taken up the mantle. When he 'died,' Bucky was the logical choice to become the new Cap. Since Bucky's return, he has been made into a great character, but we've barely seen him in the role of Captain America. Just when he was finally getting used to it, it was all taken away.  
    During the Trial of Captain America, I started thinking this same question that was asked in Captain America #616, must there be a Captain America? If you read Captain America #615.1, you know that there's a certain someone that strongly believes one is needed. Now with Bucky currently locked away in a Russian gulag, the time seems perfect for Steve to return to being Captain America.

The only problem is, Steve never wanted to be Captain America in the first place.
      == TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided
    Does Steve Rogers have to be Captain America if it's not what he wants? He never wanted to take on the role. He just wanted to serve his country. Yes he volunteered to be part of the Super Soldier project but he was meant to be one of many soldiers. He never expected to be a symbol for the entire country. He has the burden of being that symbol. He wants to make the world a better place but doesn't feel the need to be in the spotlight. 

Do we just say, "Too bad, Steve"? How long does he have to serve his country? We can assume that Bucky will get out of the Russian gulag but can he go back to being Captain America? He's been cleared of charges in the United States but would the public still accept him as their symbol, knowing what he was forced to do as the assassin, the Winter Soldier?
    No Caption Provided
    I know I don't want someone else to take on the mantle of Captain America. When we saw someone new in issue #615.1, it didn't feel right. But that brought up another idea, could we have more than one Captain America at the same time? You can have more than one captain in the U.S. Army so why not more than one Captain America? I'm not trying to make this sound like Batman, Inc but why should the burden fall on one man? Why should it fall on one man that has already served for so long and sacrificed so much since first putting on the costume? Could we have Steve and Bucky both dressed as Captain America, as seen back in Captain America: Siege? We're going to (sort of) see the Captain America Corps in June, why not make this idea a permanent thing?

No Caption Provided
    Captain America is a symbol for the people. When Steve had a conversation about his future with an old friend, he's told that now more than ever, people need a Captain America. And with Fear Itself about to wreck havoc across the Marvel Universe, that will become even more so.

It doesn't help Steve that he's just so good at being Captain America. Is it really all in the Super Soldier Serum that made him such an incredible hero and leader or is there just something inside him? There are so many other superheroes that could try to fill the boots of Captain America but it wouldn't seem right. It might be that Steve is stuck being Captain America until his final days.

I want to mention again that I do want Steve to return as Captain America. I knew the day would come the moment I read The Death of Captain America. He's been doing a lot since his return from behind the scenes. It's just he seems to best at being Captain America. Should Steve be stuck in a role he never wanted?
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Eyz

..if not there always be an US AGANT!

No Caption Provided
    "US Agent(TM) - Not just a palette swap."
    We salute you US Agent!
    ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ThanosIsMad

Steve is fine the way he is.  I would say that USAgent should be the new Cap, but with him missing limbs and refusing to get cybernetics, that's not going to happen.  

So, the best bet is to get someone else to be Cap.   
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By TDK_1997

I want too Steve to be Captain America but in the past months i am starting  to like Bucky as Cap but now he is in a russian gulag.But there always will be Captain America

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Eyz said:
    " ..if not there always be an US AGANT!
    No Caption Provided
    "US Agent(TM) - Not just a palette swap."We salute you US Agent! "
    HA!!!!

I don't think there needs to be a Cap any longer, the concept is antiquated and I'm fine with neither Steve or Bucky wearing the uniform again. But we all know that's not the issue, what matters is that MARVEL NEEDS A CAP and the money he brings in...
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#5  Edited By Deadcool

But, I love Bucky Cap!

Woodclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Woodclaw

The question above has two parts:

1- Does the world still need Cap?
    My answer is yes, as outdated and sometimes rhetoric as it might sound Cap is a positive figure in a world that grows darker and darker. As outdated as his morals can be Cap is still an idealist that strives to better things by being an example, not just by beating the bad guys.

2- Must Steve Rogers be Cap?
    This is the tricky part, tons  of people tried to be Cap after Steve's disappearence in WW2 with very mixed results. The Patriot was good, the rest of them not so much. This should clearly show that it wasn't a matter of Serum or other things, what makes Steve so good at being Cap is his belief, his selflessness and his ability to inspire other to strive for something greater than themselves.

AFArtist1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AFArtist1973

Speaking as a military man, every unit has a symbol that represents what it is and what it represents.  It becomes a focus of identity and what it means to the unit the moment a member joins it.  Even our flag is a symbol of who we are, and all who have put on a military uniform knows that it's part of you for the rest of your life.  Sometimes it defines your very identity.  To Steve, this is the crux of what has become his very essence.  Not just being a man out of time...  but a man whose mission, like Superman's is truly a "Neverending Battle". 

In my heart, I'm very loyal and patriotic to my country, but the military was not what I wanted to do when I grew up.  It was being an artist.  I draw, paint and come up with interesting stories, much like Steve does in his civilian identity, so I can identify with his dilemma.  When I enlisted, I knew what it was to be part of something bigger than yourself.  Over time, I know I've made a good call.  I would not have gone through all the trials and tribulations that led me to be the man I am now.  Being a husband and father is the best job I've ever had.  But I still have the uniform to wear.  I know that it's very hard to take off the uniform, and be a husband and father every day when I come home from work.  I can only imagine how it would feel for Steve Rogers.

Steve Rogers put on the uniform to be a symbol for all soldiers to rally around.  In essence, if he had not revealed his true identity, then it may not have been as hard a decision that it will eventually be.  He permanently linked Steve Rogers to the identity of Captain America. 

We all know that there have been a half dozen me who have worn the uniform, but all of them, in their minds and hearts have felt that they could not fill Steve's shoes...  why?  It wasn't because of the super-soldier serum, since none of them had it, so it became a moot point.  None of them mentioned it.  They only thought themselves as less than Steve because of his leadership and "he would have found a better way."

All of them, with the exception of the 50s Cap that went bonkers, were patriots.  They believed in America and the Dream. 

Steve Rogers has been, with the exception of Uncle Sam, the most recognized symbol of the American People.  It became his calling the moment he volunteered.  He set the bar for all who followed, and that's the standard that the American People expect.  To do any less would be a disservice.  The world has never been the same since. 

That's my two cents...

Jim
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Billy Batson

"Too bad, Steve"  

ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ironshadow

Steve Rogers - Captain America

Buck Barnes - Colonel America
    John Walker - Iron Patriot 
    Avatar image for superboyrocks13
    superboyrocks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By superboyrocks13

@ironshadow

cool

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Golden Cod
    @AFArtist1973:

Cool writeup man!   He's definitely one of Marvel's larger-then-life characters in that his character and decisions are seemingly flawless.   He truly is Marvel's equivalent to Superman except he doesn't need all those crazy powers, just a shield and his conviction.   Consequently there will always need to be a Captain America so that we may ask ourselves how the American Dream fits into today's world (love the 50s Cap and John Walker stories)
    The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By The Sadhu

I'm like G-Man... I would prefer for Steve Rogers to wear the stars and stripes again! However, it seems like its to soon in my opinion!
    AFArtist1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AFArtist1973

I have never thought that Bucky was a bad Captain America... far from it.  He just had to deal with all of the expectations that wearing the uniform and Shield that all the others had to.  I think that he's done a great job in the comics. 

Steve Rogers has been portrayed in a good light, and except in the beginning of the newest volume of Avengers #1, has been drawn to be a superheroic icon that he is.  Bucky was drawn that way in the Captain America book since his taking on the role.  I'm not knocking John Romita Jr.'s artwork in any way. far from it...  I've marveled (no pun intended) at his artwork for years.  But he just looked small compared to the rest of the Avengers in that issue.  But that's off on a tangent.

Steve Rogers is a very inspiring person, both with and without the uniform of Captain America.  The fact of it is, Steve Rogers is not meant to be in the background.  He's meant to be in the outfit, at least to the rest of the Marvel universe community.  He's that one person that stands by you and tells you that you are doing great and then, all of a sudden... you do better.

That's why Steve's going back into the outfit. 

my two cents...  --Jim

Avatar image for deadpool1fanjon
    deadpool1fanjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By deadpool1fanjon

There needs to be a Captain America many comic heroes and real people who look to Captain America for strength. what he does is true and just, he doesnt do this for money, power, or fame Captain America helps people because it is the right thing to do.
    Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Radread

Captain America has always been a symbol but it's the man behind the identity that reflects the ideals of the character. Steve has always done it the best, even during hard times, he's found a way to prosper. John Walker and James have had their runs and they have really reflected the times and motivations of their versions of Cap. Steve is just the one who handles it the best.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Personally I prefer Bucky as Cap, can't we make Steve Colonel America? I mean it's been a while since WW 2, you'd think he'd be up for a promotion by now.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#17  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir: Hasn't he been called Commander Rogers now? Why not Commander America. Sounds cheesy but like you said, he deserves a promotion.
    Atari_Graphics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Atari_Graphics

I would be cool with Isaiah Bradley taking up the mantle if need be.
    Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

Don't get me wrong no one can do better than the original Cap, I really like Bucky Barnes, I mean if he goes what will happen to him,but hey Rogers come back in the ol' red, white, and blue. I salute him

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Frankly my personal instinct is to say that Steve should do what he feels is right.  If he doesn't feel he wants to be Cap then maybe it should be an entity that is forever retired considering that anyone else could conceivably be him but it just isn't the same.  But I think at this point with the fan-base he has he just doesn't have a choice now BUT to wield the shield.  It's just like with any other great superhero that is renown to millions...whether that hero bears an S or a shield or is green or wears a cowl.  Sadly its a "Too Bad Steve" point at this stage...otherwise why would we even have Steve be returned to life?

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kid_Zombie

I liked Bucky as cap, should stay as Cap. Or maybe Bucky can become the new US Agent. Would suck if he becomes something lame like Nomad. One good thing is if Steve becomes Cap again, maybe we will get SHEILD back, something I have really been missing in Heroic Age.

@G-Man said:

" @Emperor Gonzo Noir: Hasn't he been called Commander Rogers now? Why not Commander America. Sounds cheesy but like you said, he deserves a promotion. "

Ya he is Commander Rogers now, so he should be Commander America, I think that sounds cool actually. Why not? Or right because of the movie. Hate that everything must always go back to the same.
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

There just has to be a captain america.. just has to be a awesome super soldier serum out there for the picking!

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By karrob
    @ironshadow said:
    " Steve Rogers - Captain America
    Buck Barnes - Colonel America
    John Walker - Iron Patriot 
    "
    Good idea
    kimeraevet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kimeraevet
    @G-Man:  Commander isn't an Army rank. General is though.

Why does Steve Rogers have to be Captain America? I don't think the arguments stand. I liked that he gave the mantle up to Bucky and took on the role Nick Fury: World's Top Cop. It lent to his maturity  into a man who is no longer just a symbol of the American dream, but the ideal of moral and ethical protection of that dream. Cap represents America, Steve represents the protection of the American dream. That to me seems more important than going out on patrol in the streets, especially considering his predecessors in the job were lacking in the moral and ethical fortitude needed to get the job done with a clear conscience.
    kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25  Edited By kennybaese

I realize that I'm going to catch all kinds of flack from the Marvel people here, but I think Cap is kind of Marvel's Batman, there has to be one. Whether or not it's Rogers doesn't matter so much as the fact that Captain America is this symbol and he needs to be there. It's kind of the same thing that happened with Superman after his death, you need someone there to fill the void, to give people hope. Captain America as a symbol is way more powerful than he would be as a soldier.

That said, I don't that that a Captain America Corps or Inc is a great idea. I'm one of the few people that thinks it could work in some really interesting ways for Batman, but I think for Cap, it would cheapen his mythos, not strengthen it.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chris2KLee

I was personally hoping Steve would have stayed dead longer, making his return have more impact. I'd prefer Marvel give Bucky more time in the suit, maybe they should pursue the President Steve Rogers angle they were thinking about a few years back. With the elections coming up, the time seems right. 

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DEGRAAF

I think Steve should stay in the position he is in and leave Captain America to someone else. He could even hand pick the person

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Larkin1388

I say that even if he kept himself under the radar he would still be a great Captain America. Instead of being Captain America on a daily basis he could just stay with the top secret and covert ops and still be great.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By doordoor123

What does this mean?

It's just he seems to best at being Captain America.

Alfiebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Alfiebo

@ThanosIsMad:

Does it really matter if John Walker has limbs missing think about it

No Caption Provided

Glue him on the bike and call him Handicap

Midnight Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Midnight Monk

I've never liked Steve, I've openly talked about how mary sue he can be when it comes to be Captain America and it really annoys me that Buck(who I liked better) was sent up the river just so Steve could be Cap again to appease movie fans who will suddenly jump into comics.

Its alittle annoying but get why it's being done but I just can't get behind Steve Rogers as his decisions are more often than not, borderline retarded at certain times but not all. Anyway I personally think Captain America corps should focus on the other Super Soldiers running around like Patriot & Josiah, yes the Bradley Clan is still alive and well even if their mostly ignored

sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#32  Edited By sladewilson30

yes there should

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By leokearon
    @G-Man said:
    " @Emperor Gonzo Noir: Hasn't he been called Commander Rogers now? Why not Commander America. Sounds cheesy but like you said, he deserves a promotion. "

I thought it was Captain Steve Rogers

As for Steve being Cap, the main problem I have with that statement is it makes no-sense. If he didn't want to be Cap, why take up the mantle in the first place? What about all the times he was fired? He was upset that he wasn't Cap.

I think while Steve didn't want to be Cap in the first place, he actually enjoys the role now. If not he could become the Captain again. Also the world needs a Captain America, Cap inspires us with hope and the ability to do good.

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ideally Steve should be Cap, but he doesn't have to be.  Cap is a generational hero, means as long as there is someone worthy, they could wear the costume.

To me (maybe cause I missed them bringing Bucky back), Bucky was not the obvious choice to take over the role because as far as i was concerned he was dead.

I honestly don't know who right now could take over the role, but the first names that poped into my head were Clint Barton (no where near good enough) and Mocking Bird (American Dream showed that a female works in the role).  The only real qualifications needed are they should be American, a great leader, and physically "perfect".

Just my quick off the top off the head ideas.
    Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Aronmorales

I really don't know what to say here, I mean Captain America is my favorite hero, and Steve is my favorite Cap, to find out that he never really wanted to be Cap? Kinda weird...

But then again no man should be forced to do something he doesn't want to do, no matter how good he is at that job, but at the same time the job of Captain America is something I think the world needs; someone who'll stand up for traditional American virtues and ideals whether in the face of adversity or peace.

So with that said, I think that Steve shouldn't have to be Captain America if he doesn't want to, but there should be a Captain America.

Avatar image for nomadicxnightmare
    nomadicxnightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the world still need Cap? Absolutely. Captain is a relic of another age with idealistic views which, some could argue, are seemingly outdated. However that is why he is such a strong heroic symbol and all-around fantastic character! Marvel's universe is overpopulated with gritty anti-heroes where, in some cases, they are just slightly more "heroic" then the "bad guys" they take down. Cap is different. He truly is a good person (despite how the Ultimate universe version smears him IMO) and he honestly tries to do the right thing, all while kicking ass and taking names. He is an idealist, it's true, but that is part of what defines him as an iconic character. I would compare him to Superman; though he is deemed a "boy scout" he is widely respected and his sense of honor and moral fiber makes him the very definition of what a hero should be. He represents hope and courage; a superhero that not only can be admired by the citizens her protects but also presents a code or model which others can aspire to. Now, for a moment, take that away. Take away Cap from the picture. Who do you have left who can fill that role in Marvel's universe? No one. That is why Cap is so important; he is the last of a dying breed of superhero. It is his idealism which separates him from the rest and propels him to "symbol" status.

Now does Steve need to be Captain to pull it off? Nope. Steve is Captain to most and carries that same idealistic moral compass with him even after passing the torch to Bucky. However, that doesn't mean Steve is the only one suitable for the job. Bucky was becoming a great Cap! He had finally found his place and was on a path to not only find redemption for his past, but also truly become that symbol which is Captain . However Marvel decided to foul up years of character development by tossing Bucky in a Russian gulag and giving Steve back the shield. Why? Because Marvel has no balls. This happens all the time whenever a worthy successor character comes along for one of Marvel's cash cows; the successor is either killed off or gets pulled from the lime-light and pushed into secondary character backseat limbo. One of my biggest pet peeves with Marvel (maybe even more so with DC!) is rather then letting characters naturally fade/die/retire within the pages of their books and letting the next generation step forward to fill the void they play this game with us. We all know the game: "Let's kill off/pull X and replace him/her with Y for a year or two and then bring them back and pretend like nothing ever happened! The readers will never suspect that! Brilliant!" So what we end up with is plethora of "copy" characters which fade into the background and are stuck with the "classic" characters that continue to stagnate due to little character growth. Take Wolverine for example: Both Daken and X-23 are basically Wolverine copies (X-23 rather literally) and either could easily fill the role Wolverine represents. Why not put Wolverine into more of a "mentor" role, maybe still let him lead the X-Force team, and slowly allow someone like X-23 to take center stage and develop into the next great iconic claw-popping berserker? That would be fantastic IMHO.... but it'll never happen. Marvel makes too much money off to ever dream about retiring him, and them same unfortunate truth applies to Cap. Bucky had all the makings of greatness in him, but Marvel isn't about to take the risk of permanently changing the man under the mask. Bucky was a fresh start for Cap and opened up so much character development potential, but in the end to Marvel it's not about good stories and characters... but rather it's all about the money. Grow a pair Marvel!

*Ahem* Now that I'm done soap boxing, No I don't think Steve needs to be Cap to make the symbol that is Captain work.

NXN    

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By Lvenger

Unfortunately for Steve he is the only one perfect as Captain America. Sure Bucky makes for a great and compelling character but just like with Dick Grayson as Batman, I associate Steve Rogers as being Captain America in the same way I associate Bruce Wayne as Batman. And don't get me started on Spider-Man and Superman! Anyway Steve serves as a symbol of hope and democracy in America and is serving his country in a far better way as being the one and only Captain America rather than as part of a group of super soldiers. I think Marvel will make him realise that. Well they have to he's going back to the stars and stripes in July

Kaowas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kaowas

I think Cap should take a break. With that said, Marvel wouldn't approve since they love promoting their big 3: Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor.

Here's the thing, I've always thought the big 3 should have been Spider-man, Iron Man, and Thor. Captain America is the guy who is supposed to represent justice and fighting for the love of the people, right? Well is that not Spider-Man as well?

Of course, right now we're pretty much over saturated with Spidey (I love Spider-Man), what with him being in five books, two of which are his own (and one of those is in the Ultimate Universe).

But back on track, I don't think there needs to be a Captain America but there needs to be a Big Three. The only problem is, Captain America fills the needs of the Big Three all too well. He's the old leader type, the guy you go to get results, and the guy that will listen to those around him (unless it's Ultimate Captain America we're talking about). Cap represents the little guy in all this, so if he were to go away there would need to be replacement for him. My personal top picks would be Spider-Man and Black Panther. In fact, I would love to see BP as one of the Big Three. Black Panther was the first, great African American (made, since he's Wakandan and all) superhero. That should stand for something. 

I think Marvel should give Black Panther his time in the spotlight. He's in Hell's Kitchen right now doing the Dare Devil thing, it's prime time to pick him up. And who better to show a different take on the same principals Captain America represents?
    Avatar image for omegathedestroyer
    OmegaTheDestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steve IS Captain America just like Bruce IS Batman, but that doesn't mean they have to always be that role. Steve should continue doing want he is doing and have one of the Bradley's take up the role for a while, then if things are going well with one of them in the role when Bucky's back out then he can take over as another ranking or even Iron Patriot.

fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fbdarkangel

is the Pope Catholic?

Ravek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ravek

Yes

fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By fbdarkangel
    @nomadicxnightmare said:
    "

Now does Steve need to be Captain to pull it off? Nope. Steve is Captain to most and carries that same idealistic moral compass with him even after passing the torch to Bucky. However, that doesn't mean Steve is the only one suitable for the job. Bucky was becoming a great Cap! He had finally found his place and was on a path to not only find redemption for his past, but also truly become that symbol which is Captain . However Marvel decided to foul up years of character development by tossing Bucky in a Russian gulag and giving Steve back the shield. Why? Because Marvel has no balls. This happens all the time whenever a worthy successor character comes along for one of Marvel's cash cows; the successor is either killed off or gets pulled from the lime-light and pushed into secondary character backseat limbo. One of my biggest pet peeves with Marvel (maybe even more so with DC!) is rather then letting characters naturally fade/die/retire within the pages of their books and letting the next generation step forward to fill the void they play this game with us. We all know the game: "Let's kill off/pull X and replace him/her with Y for a year or two and then bring them back and pretend like nothing ever happened! The readers will never suspect that! Brilliant!" So what we end up with is plethora of "copy" characters which fade into the background and are stuck with the "classic" characters that continue to stagnate due to little character growth. Take Wolverine for example: Both Daken and X-23 are basically Wolverine copies (X-23 rather literally) and either could easily fill the role Wolverine represents. Why not put Wolverine into more of a "mentor" role, maybe still let him lead the X-Force team, and slowly allow someone like X-23 to take center stage and develop into the next great iconic claw-popping berserker? That would be fantastic IMHO.... but it'll never happen. Marvel makes too much money off to ever dream about retiring him, and them same unfortunate truth applies to Cap. Bucky had all the makings of greatness in him, but Marvel isn't about to take the risk of permanently changing the man under the mask. Bucky was a fresh start for Cap and opened up so much character development potential, but in the end to Marvel it's not about good stories and characters... but rather it's all about the money. Grow a pair Marvel!

*Ahem* Now that I'm done soap boxing, No I don't think Steve needs to be Cap to make the symbol that is Captain work.

NXN    

"
    I like to think the reason why X-23 is becoming so popular is because she is not only different from Logan, but also because she is an unique character, unlike most clone/copy characters.
    Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Mucklefluga

There is only one Captain America and it has to be Steve Rogers
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Mercy_

I've made my thoughts on this known before. I'll repost here. 

This is such BS. I knew they were going to do this as soon as it was announced that Steve was coming back, something that in and of itself also pissed me off.  

Bringing Steve back negated everything that he died for, it completely takes away from his death and from the meaning of it.  

Bucky was doing great as Captain America, he had grown into the role and gave it a fresh spin. He may not be the iconic true blue hero that Steve was, but he was a hero in his own  right.  

Steve had his position, Bucky had his. It was a fine system and a nice new twist for both characters. It was a good idea.  

This is a freaking horrible one. I hate it as much as I hated them bringing Steve back. 
    AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#45  Edited By AssertingValor

obviously he wanted to be a soldier..................................
    Mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By Mach

US Agent  should  be .

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#47  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

if steve dosent WANT to be cap than i dont want him to be cap. id rather have him be happy.
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48  Edited By DMC

When it comes down to it, I'm more of a fan of Steve Rogers than the Captain America mantle.....but not by much.
    For me, it's about Steves personality. Sure his character might be too "vanilla" or clean (by comparison at least) for modern folk but I wouldn't find him as appealing if he wasn't.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By SpidermanWins

Good point G-man. Multiple Captain America's would make everything a whole lot easier for him, however Steve would always be the best since no one can seem to replicate the super soldier serum and attempts always result in disastrous failure. They would at least have to be experienced experts in fighting and be in top shape.

dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#50  Edited By dewboy01

And more....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.