Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Off My Mind: Captain America in the Vietnam War

• 70 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    Captain America has always been a symbol for the United States. His creation was due to the war efforts during WWII. In the regular Marvel 616-Universe, Cap met his end during the war. He was replaced by the Spirit of '76 and then the Patriot in order to keep the symbol alive. In the 1950s, William Burnside tried becoming Captain America but went a little insane due to an incomplete Super Soldier Serum. When Steve Rogers returned, the Vietnam War was pretty much over and we never really saw him get involved (I could be wrong but I think he was only there in Captain America #125). As Marvel has adjusted the timeline over the years, it's more likely that Steve was awoken from his frozen slumber well after the conflict in Vietnam. 

With the U.S. Government (and other individuals) trying to recapture the spirit of Cap over the years, it would be surprising not to have seen a Captain America active during the 60s. If a Captain America was created during this time, what would he have been like?  
     == TEASER == 
    No Caption Provided
    America was a different place in the 60s so the possibilities of what Captain America would've been like are interesting. I've seen people say that Frank Castle, the Punisher, was basically the Captain America of the Vietnam War. In Ultimate Comics Captain America #1, we'll get a look at one possible version of the Captain America of the Vietnam War

From the solicit information, this Captain America will be the regular Cap's ultimate nemesis. Why does this Captain America have to be his nemesis? If he was chosen to be Captain America by the U.S. Government, we could assume he was a decent guy in order to get the privilege. Of course that doesn't have to be the case. There's also the possibility that some experience caused this Cap to go wonky and turn against his country. Seeing the original could bring about feelings of resentment.

While I am looking forward to this Ultimate Captain America comic, stepping away from it, I think the idea of a Captain America during the Vietnam War has potential. The notion that this Cap would then turn crazy or evil feels a little  cliché though. I like the idea that there could have been another Cap shortly before the current one was unfrozen. If a Cap during the Vietnam War time managed to keep his sanity, would he still be operating as a hero or soldier today? What would happen when this Cap and the original came face-to-face? Would the Vietnam Cap step aside and allow the original to resume the role or would they both agree to fight evil together? More importantly, I just want to see a Captain America fighting in the jungles of Vietnam and if his presence would have had an affect. We'll have to check out this Captain America miniseries to see if that happens.
    Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Chaos Burn

Nazis were evil, that's why Cap was so good as a heroe there.... 
    The Vietnamese were fighting for the right to be their own country, they weren't really your average comic book world domination master race creating villain....
     IMO it would've made Cap a darker character with complex issues about his opinion of his own government and country... so maybe a good read!

sarge981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sarge981

I think a captain America during the Vietnam war would be cool but it almost feels like it would steal from the whole depth of character and  part of him being gone for all those years and then to come back to whoop on hydra

MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By MuadDiab
    @Chaos Burn: agree
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NightFang3
    @MuadDiab said:
    " @Chaos Burn: agree "
    I 2nd that.
    Woodclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Woodclaw

The idea of Cap in Vietnam has incredible potential, first it will explore the always important gap between Steve Rogers' own morality and the behaviour of the goverment of the nation he represents.
    But I'm more interested with the consequences, how would Cap deal with the whole problem of Vietnam Era Veterans, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, prejudice from thee medias etc.? In essence, how would Cap deal with the Rambos of the MU (which include Frank Castle)?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123

Call me crazy, but I think the basic idea's been done before...
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@InnerVenom123:
    do not question Captain America! 

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By PowerHerc

Nope.   

Leave him out of it (no ret-cons, please).  Inserting the Captain America character into that quagmire won't do any good or accomplish anything.  It won't change the b.s./propaganda the U.S.  Government fed everyone and it won't change the outcome of the war.  But it might diminish Cap's legend if the creative team or editorial staff have an anti-American axe to grind.   

If someone in comics wants to make a political statement about Viet Nam I say do it without using Cap as a vessel or tool to do it.  He was created in the WW II era as an American symbol and he was revived just before the U. S. stepped up it's involvement in Viet Nam.  The creative and editorial staff at Marvel could've used him to make political statements back then, when the Viet Nam War was actually happening, but they (wisely) did not.  Why do it now?   

Don't, there's no reason.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @InnerVenom123: Frank was mentioned in the article.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@PowerHerc:
    I took it to mean a completely new Ultimate Captain America. Ultimate Cap was still frozen in the ice on their Earth during this time period. 

Edit:  
    From the solicit information, this Captain America will be the regular Cap's ultimate nemesis.      

Nevermind, now I am confused. Unless the Vietnam Cap is somehow in the present day time period. Oh well.
    Avatar image for comicbikerscott
    comicbikerscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By comicbikerscott

captian america got thawed out in avengers number 4 in 1965
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @comicbikerscott: There's a sliding timescale. The Avengers didn't form in 1963 as we know it otherwise they'd be pretty old today. Even Iron Man's history and involvement in Vietnam has been changed.
    ArtJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#13  Edited By ArtJoker

Love that Apocalypse Now Homage

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @Chaos Burn said:
    " Nazis were evil, that's why Cap was so good as a heroe there....  The Vietnamese were fighting for the right to be their own country, they weren't really your average comic book world domination master race creating villain....  IMO it would've made Cap a darker character with complex issues about his opinion of his own government and country... so maybe a good read! "
    Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    "
    "
    come to think of it Punisher leads the Avengers in Ultimate Universe. Never realised how similar they are to each other. Only one questions the gov't and corruption and takes law into his own hands , and one guy holds onto the ideals of WW2.
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#16  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Captian Amercia in Nam.... that would be a great arc, War Crazy Cap!!!!!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Decept-O

This is a concept and idea that admittedly never crossed my mind concerning Captain America, so in a way, to me at least, it is a "new" idea.  Can't say I am really into it, but it is different. 
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

Punisher was in the war. I also recall Logan was there. He blew the place up, if anyone recalls Wolverine Origins. But overall yes, Captain America could have been in the war, if he wasn't taking much needed rest

Avatar image for ironspidy_rooney
    IronSpidy-Rooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By IronSpidy-Rooney
    @G-Man: In issue 12 of Brubakers run of Captain America it is said that Cap has only been out of the ice for just over 10 years
    dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dondasch

Another gimmick.  There is no reason that Cap should be inserted into the quagmire that was Vietnam.  Will an insertion into the current conflicts be next ?

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Fantasgasmic

I think the idea of Cap fighting another Cap makes sense that it would be his nemesis, because its someone with the same training and abilities, like Wolverine and Sabertooth, or Dick Grayson and Jason Todd, the danger is that he knows everything about you and how you operate.  

As to WHY 60s Cap would be a bad guy, you have to remember that in Vietnam, unlike WW2, there was little popular support back on the home front. People often spat on and yelled at returning vets. PLUS with WW2 the military was sending people over in units, there was a sense of camaraderie with the guys in your unit, whereas in Vietnam the draft, public opinion, and low morale soldiers often felt like they were over there alone, which demoralized them. 

I think this story would make perfect sense with the following ideas. Nam-Cap was created towards the end of the war as a way to try and drum up popular opinion and boost the morale of the soldiers. Unfortunately for Nam-Cap it didn't work, maybe it undercut the war effort because people assumed the real Cap wouldn't fight for what some considered an unjust war, maybe its because he gets thrown in after is already a quagmire. Anyway Nam-Cap comes home and instead of being hailed as a hero, he's called a baby killer and spat on. Maybe he has PTSD, maybe he becomes a drug addict like so many vets (or self medicates the PTSD with drugs). And from there I'd just assume he pulls a Jason Todd (I was never good enough, so I'm gonna kill everyone to make you love me).

Mtti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mtti

How can a character named after a country not come into "
    current conflicts" or even politics? Having someone like Steve (regular universe) involved in the Vietnam War would be intertesting in terms of the psychological aspect but I dont think he would go mind blowingly crazy. He's not like a Frank Castle but perhaps it would take him that edge, that would give him more insight of how a person like Castle would go onto becoming a Punisher. 

Like the Civil War that happened awhile it would break Captain's beliefs in America but probably ten folds more. I would def be interested.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

Cap in Vietnam? When Captain Rambo throws his mighty knife, you better get the hell out of the way!!!!  

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I think its interesting, I like how they aren't throwing the WW2 Ultimate Cap into Viet Nam and are pretty much introducing another Captain America to the Ultimate Universe, maybe this guy is the Ultimate version of John Walker US Agent? It would make sense granted the 616 version wasn't around during Viet Nam but a little bit of Ultimate retcon magic its possible.

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By roadbuster

I hadn't heard of this story arc until now, I'm intrigued... but I hope they don't turn the two wars into caricatures.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @G-Man:
    Ah, I see now.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Jake Fury said:
    "@InnerVenom123:
    do not question Captain America! 

"

Do not post out of context scans involving superhuman children :p
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28  Edited By The_Martian

Didn't Spidey say that Cap and Punisher were basically the same guy just a different war?

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29  Edited By The_Martian

No Caption Provided

Brought in by his own sidekick XP
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PowerHerc
    @Jake Fury said:
    "@PowerHerc:
    I took it to mean a completely new Ultimate Captain America. Ultimate Cap was still frozen in the ice on their Earth during this time period. 

Edit:  
    From the solicit information, this Captain America will be the regular Cap's ultimate nemesis.       Nevermind, now I am confused. Unless the Vietnam Cap is somehow in the present day time period. Oh well. "

Hey, bro, now I'm confused too! lol :D
    GLforHIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GLforHIRE

it would def make him much darker, like chaos burn said, in nam, we were technically the bad guys..not to mention how would caps moral compass deal with all the craziness that went on (killing kids and women,scorched earth etc...) or would the comics pretty it up? cuz if it doesn't then yea her would pretty much be the punisher with a shield

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By SuperXAsh

Two things sprang to mind...

1. Is this how they're going to bring in John Walker, aka: The US Agent, into the Ultimate Universe? And if so, then yeah... it's a good bet he's gonna be crazy or evil, because that was his ENTIRE character arc when he was first created. Poor guy can't get a break.

2. There WAS a Cap during Vietnam in the main Marvel Universe, we just don't know WHO he was, OR if he did ANY fighting. Because all we have to go by is one of the Punisher's flashbacks to boot camp as seen during Civil War. And that could've just been some guy in a suit used for propaganda/training purposes. *shrugs* So who knows. There have been quite a few Caps in the 616 universe.

conformist21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By conformist21

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By joshmightbe

there are only 3 reasons that vietnam is considered worse than WW2 
    1.We it was a war we didn't need to fight 
    2. We lost  
    3. It was the first war that civilians actually got to see the horrors of war due to the amount of coverage it got from the media 
    in truth far more people died in WW2, just as many americans came home with post traumatic stress( they called it shell shock back then) and it was in every way just as brutal, in some cases more so. The primary difference is purely public perception. People seem to forget that plenty of women and children died during world war 2 many lives were destroyed and terrible things were done by all sides, it's just that we as civilians saw a great deal more of it in vietnam. 
    The truth is that all wars are terrible and there's no reason logically to believe that any one war would affect anyone more profoundly than another

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

In a superhero documentary "Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked" they mention how WWII was featured in lots of comics, but how Vietnam wasn't at all.  Stan Lee said that they felt, during Vietnam, that it wasn't as clear cut as WWII and that it wasn't in good taste or something like that.

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By undeadpool
    @joshmightbe said:
    " there are only 3 reasons that vietnam is considered worse than WW2 1.We it was a war we didn't need to fight 2. We lost  3. It was the first war that civilians actually got to see the horrors of war due to the amount of coverage it got from the media in truth far more people died in WW2, just as many americans came home with post traumatic stress( they called it shell shock back then) and it was in every way just as brutal, in some cases more so. The primary difference is purely public perception. People seem to forget that plenty of women and children died during world war 2 many lives were destroyed and terrible things were done by all sides, it's just that we as civilians saw a great deal more of it in vietnam. The truth is that all wars are terrible and there's no reason logically to believe that any one war would affect anyone more profoundly than another "
    That first reason is a little more than "perception." In WWII, there was a cast of villains and people were fighting and dying for a cause and a reason (stop the Axis from conquering the entire world), so the sacrifices were more justifiable, though the dead might disagree I suppose. In Vietnam, the whole thing was a pointless, meaningless charade, so all the death and horror was completely pointless. 
    If you want to talk about sheer numbers of dead, then yeah WWII has it beat, but it was also a much larger war. I can't verify this, but I wonder how many people per capita were killed in both and which is the higher number.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Undeadpool: Actually The American Civil War Was the bloodiest we've been a part of with WW2 being a close second. If you were to rate the amount of lives lost vietnam would be forth place
    Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Big

I hope the VietCap forms a cult of aboriginal people, praising his god-like status, and that he starts rambling about the hypocrisy of American values and morality. And then, maybe he should gain 300 lbs., shave his head bald and, oh no, wait, that's Apocalypse Now.
    johnjcoe9198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By johnjcoe9198

@SuperXAsh:     I think Frank was refering to William Burnside, if he is, in fact, the '60s era cap that was fighting against the Soviets.  As for Spider-Man's remarks, I support that view.  Frank and Steve are both extremely well-trained, deadly one-man-armies, with one HUGE difference:  Frank was never given any augmentation.  He's just a normal man, albeit honed to a Batman-like level of extremes.  However, I never really bought into that view to begin with.  He's just TOO GOOD!  Its been suggested, however vaguely, that Frank was treated with something akin to the Super Soldier Serum that Steve was given.  But, much like Burnside or Protocide, the process wasn't complete, and Frank's obsessive love of war was the end result.  I think that would tie in quite nicely with PUNISHER: BORN.  That really DOES make The Punisher the 'Nam-equivalent of Captain America.  But, Morrisson's Punisher MAX is established as outside of regular (616) or Ultimate (1610) continuity.  However, Frank's vaguely referenced augmentation has only ever been mentioned in Marvel's regular (616) continuity.  And it was very vague....

El_Derrico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By El_Derrico

I see Captain America beating up a lot of anti-war hippies, and slapping Jane Fonda. That, and a lot of CCR music in the background everywhere he went. 

Sparky_Buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By Sparky_Buzzsaw

I agree that the idea of a Vietnam-era Cap'n going crazy in that era would be far too cliched.  But maybe having the guy be corrupt from the get-go, maybe inserted into his post by nepotism or a crafty Congressman/higher-up who wants his own guy in the role - now that'd be interesting.  Still overdone, but it'd give both Captain Americas an additional friend and foe, as well as opening up more potential story arcs and a long-term payoff.  I wouldn't make it any secret, either - that "man behind the curtain" stuff gets kind of old.  But it could be fun for the writers and readers alike to discover new and inventive ways to throw an old 616 character into the role.

deadpool2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By deadpool2099

I think he would've killed himself from all the hippies giving him depressing flak.
    Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#43  Edited By Outside_85

If the vietcong had stod because of one man, then Cap could have made a difference in Marvels world like he did by punching out Hitler, otherwise no.

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By greenenvy

This is exactly what should be happening to captain america right now.  Now you guys are thinking. 

Blue Outburst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Blue Outburst

I would like to say Protocide, the guy who almost killed Cap and just vanished from comics, is the best fit for this Cap. Think of it he has all the things that this Cap would need to fight in Vietnam. He's ruthless and has the will to kill with no regrets. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By JonesDeini
    @dondasch said:
    " Another gimmick.  There is no reason that Cap should be inserted into the quagmire that was Vietnam.  Will an insertion into the current conflicts be next ? "
    It's going to be another Cap in the Ultimate U that was active during Steve's time out of action. I think the idea is lame nonetheless, another Vietnam made me evil character?
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Why woudl a 'nam cap have to turn against his country to "go wonky"?
    A lot of things went "wonky" in 'nam so it'd be perfectly within reason for a 'nam cap to be a bit "wonky".

gordocomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By gordocomics
    @Nobody said:
    "
    No Caption Provided

"
    where's that second picture from?
    Fatale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Fatale
    @Chaos Burn:  But the Vietnamese weren't fighting for the right to BE their own country. They already were one. They were fighting to conquer the South. Before the U.S. was involved, the North was seen as the aggressor. Once the U.S. stopped sending "advisers" and began sending in troop divisions, it was seen as American/Western Imperialism. We still were the "good guys," but we should never have gotten involved in the first place.

I also see a lot of people saying that his character would be darker. Why is that? What is the real difference between WW2 and Vietnam, other than the fact that WW2 was 20 times more destructive than Vietnam. War is War and Cap is a soldier. He would do his duty. Guess what? His duty in Vietnam would be the same as his duty in WW2, protecting the interests of the United States. Yes, Vietnam was a horrible war that was completely pointless. Yes there were a few atrocities committed by American soldiers, but guess what, those exact same atrocities were committed in WW2. War is War and Cap is a soldier. Contrary to popular belief, we were not viewed as the "bad guys" in Vietnam, especially in the South (RVN). We should not have been there, but the cause in Vietnam was at least somewhat noble.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

well he'd have to change his uniform...red white and blue kinda sticks out in a green jungle, maybe if he dressed like Green Arrow

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.