Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11751 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Joe Johnston Defends Captain America 3D

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
      Joe Johnston - - the director.
     Joe Johnston - - the director.

When we reported that the AVENGERS movie would be shot in 3D, I pointed out that the CAPTAIN AMERICA and THOR movies would actually only be converted to 3D - - that is, they’re still being shot traditionally. THOR’s already finished shooting, so that makes sense - - it’s not like they can go back and re-shoot the thing, now. The deed's done. But it might puzzle some fans as to why the CAP movie, which is shooting right now, isn’t doing so with stereoscopic cameras. It turns out that Joe Johnston, the director, has some very good reasons for opting out of using those; reasons he recently revealed to the Coventry Telegraph

Apparently, the 3D cameras were just too cumbersome to work with! They limited his crew's mobility,  they didn't allow them to fit the equipment into tight spaces and it'd take 45 minutes to just change the lenses... which is really the last thing you want on an action picture like this.  

Interestingly, those problems sound very similar to the problems the Wally Pfister (Chris Nolan’s director of photography) and his crew had using IMAX cameras to shoot THE DARK KNIGHT. The added inconvenience of that, of course, was that those cameras are incredibly loud, too.  == TEASER ==

I’m sure many of you are going to point to AVATAR as a successful example of using 3D cameras. Regarding that, Johnston actually had an interesting piece of inside info. Apparently, the blue alien movie did some 3D conversion of its own.

Here’s how he broke it down…

"Everyone touts Avatar as the new standard for 3D. It's beautifully done to be sure, but it wasn't entirely shot in full 3D. The filmmakers wisely chose to shoot about 30 to 35 percent of the picture in 2D and convert. I challenge anyone, myself included, to watch the picture and spot the 2D conversions."

Cost was also a factor. If they opted to shoot CAPTAIN AMERICA in 3D, the money needed for that would have to be taken out of other things in the budget. So there’d be “fewer sets, fewer extras, fewer vehicles” and that'd be really awful. A modestly-scoped Cap is the last thing anybody wants. 

Keep in mind that Johnston’s been making movies for more than 20 years. He knows what he’s doing. His crew's going to do an additional pass on every setup to get the proper data they need for the 3D conversion. So relax. Judging by his comments, this definitely won't be a slapdash job done at the last minute. 

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here.

Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Paragon

I sure hope so. If it ends up like the 3D travesty that was "Clash of the Titans", I'll be very disappointed.

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By G'bandit

The only think good about 3d cap is when he throws the shield.....

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cmaprice

I wonder if they're going to raise the lighting by a couple stops, knowing they'll be converting. I picture a cap movie having that industry standard WWI dark wash look. If they're converting to "3D" it'll make everything darker, no matter how much they plan ahead. Hope 3D audience will be able to make out the subtler details. I'll be over at the 2D screening, so let me know how it turns out, folks.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By chalkshark

This couldn't matter less as I have no intention of ever seeing the film in 3D. I'm perfectly happy with my old 2D entertainment format., & so is my wallet.

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sobe Cin

Stupid headache enducing technology... just live it 2d.
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mbecks14

Let's be honest, we can moan all we want but the truth is we'll all see it anyway

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rheged

Since I don't have a 3D set up at home, I'd rather it be shot for 2D.

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By MysterioMaximus

I could care less, I won't be seeing it in 3D to begin with (implying it's optional)...I always avoid it when I can. Cannot WAIT for the film!

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Gambit1024
    @MysterioMaximus said:
    " I could care less, I won't be seeing it in 3D to begin with (implying it's optional)...I always avoid it when I can. Cannot WAIT for the film! "
    Agreed 110%
    elevatorparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By elevatorparty
    @Gambit1024: agreed again!
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

I have no intention of paying double regular price to see the movie I'm fine watching 2d

Avatar image for themarvelfanboy
    TheMarvelFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheMarvelFanboy

I'm gonna watch all the Marvel movies in 2-D first and then 3-D.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13  Edited By jakob187
    "  Keep in mind that Johnston’s been making movies for more than 20 years. He knows what he’s doing."
    True.  Look at The Rocketeer, Jurassic Park III, The Wolfman, and Hidalgo.  Oh...wait...no, DON'T look at those terrible terrible films.  Sure, the guy made Honey I Shrunk The Kids and Jumanji, which were hailed for their special effects at the time.  Unfortunately, the guy doesn't know how to actually put a cohesive story that has interesting characters on the screen.  Everything is usually pretty flat and dull.  It's the sole reason I have issues with Joe Johnston of all people making a Captain America movie. 

Needless to say, I hope it turns out good.  I don't care about whether the 3D is converted or not, as Piranha 3D just hit and people are commending the 3D conversion on high for that flick.  My problem is solely in the person making the film.
    Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

johnston is right this will work
    and im worried the avengers movie's quality wont be as good since they are shooting with big expensive cameras. 

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Martian

I'd be MORE excited for this film if only Chris Evans WASN'T playing Captain America!

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bingbangboom

I didn't know Avatar was converted, makes sense, I mean I didn't even enjoy the 3D that much. The thing with Clash of the Titans is that it was done very quickly because it was turned into 3D months before it was due in theaters.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

I think the better question is, why put in 3D at all? It looks like shit! Avatar is the only time 3D didn't look like shit, but look at the insane budget! 3D sucks balls. Seriously, what's the deal with the 3D obsession? Christopher Nolan has the right idea, don't use it at all! Spend your budget on things that actually make the movie GOOD. Seriously, look at his track record. Memento, The Prestige, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Inception? Christopher Nolan clearly knows what it takes to make an excellent movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.