Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11747 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Did Captain America get demoted in the Avengers movie?

Crusader105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Crusader105

Not demoted in rank, obviously, but in importance.

Yes, I know this is awhile after the movie, but I just watched it again.

While Iron Man is my favorite super hero and I loved the movie, I couldn't help but feel bad for Cap. He was somewhat demoted in the Avengers Movie, at least to me. In most Marvel media/comics, Cap is the center of the Avengers and holds them together. In the movie, all he stopped an epic Iron Man-Thor fight, got burned by Iron Man, punched a few guys, and stood around looking patriotic. I wish they made him more like...well, Captain America. Inspirational and whatnot.

Anyone agree? Disagree?

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By tg1982

@Crusader105: You saw the end right? Where Cap gave orders and everyone followed them without question? In fact Iron Man says "What the play, Cap?" or something to that effect and in essence asking what to do? Or the part where Cap single handedly saved a whole building full of people? Or the part where he helped the p;olice and then ordered them on what to do. He did alot more than "stopp an epic Iron Man-Thor fight, get burned by Iron Man, punched a few guys, and stood around looking patriotic." Just my opinion, tho.

Avatar image for angelique_lebeau
    Angelique LeBeau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Angelique LeBeau

No I get what ur sayin, especially in the beginning. It wasnt until the end he actually took some sort of command. Iron Man was the first one out the hanger after Thor, it was Thor who tackled the Hulk, it was Iron Man who did all the heavy lifting in saving the carrier. Cap seemed pretty weak and withdrawn through most of the movie I thought. He never really gave a commanding "Alpha Male" presence. I dont know, didnt seem very authortative.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By TheCrowbar

Because he just wants to be left alone. He doesn't have the alpha male presence because he wasn't meant to play one. He's a lone wolf.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Cap10nate

I believe it was done on purpose to show the team come together. At the beginning, they did not really know/trust each other so no one was really listening to each other or Cap. As the team gelled, they started to trust each other and realize that Cap was the right one to lead and listened to his direction.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#6  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Throughout the whole movie it was Cap who held the team together, 

• He was the first one to take on Loki in Germany
    • Stepped in and put an end to Iron Man and Thor's "battle of the egos," even putting Thor, the God of Thunder, in his place
    • Before the final battle he was the one who told the team to "suit up" and brought them back together
    • Proved himself a capable leader multiple times during the final battle by putting that police officer in his place, saved a whole building full of people, and was the one who stepped up and made the call, placing each member of the team where he best felt they would help to keep the situation under control, and was the one who made the call to close the portal.
    It did take him a little while to get there, but by the end of the film Cap had become the leader of the Avengers, not by boasting his ego all over the place like Iron Man or showing off his brute strength like Thor, but instead by leading by example and being the levelheaded one of the group. Heck, even after Coulson was killed, though yes impacted by his death, Cap still kept a cool head and was the one who brought the team back together to avenge Coulson's death and stop Loki once and for all.
    80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 80sBaby

@War Killer: I agree with eveything you said. The thing I LOVED about Cap in Avengers is that he really did quite a bit but it was understated. That's pretty much his character. Hell, he held off the entire alien ground forces, practically solo!

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tg1982

@War Killer: I agree with everything you said. I tried to say it earlier in the thread but, lacked the eloquentness of yourpost, due to sleepyness. Good job.

Avatar image for deactivated-607949e25bdb6
    deactivated-607949e25bdb6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disagree with Cap getting demoted.

Personally he was my favourite Character in the movie, and in my mind was well represented.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@TheCrowbar said:

Because he just wants to be left alone. He doesn't have the alpha male presence because he wasn't meant to play one. He's a lone wolf.

I think thats the point the creator of the topic was expressing. In the comics Cap isnt "trying" to be left alone. Its this characteristic in the movie that comes across as a reluctant participant. Which is understandable, they (the creators of the movies) are still portraying Cap as a man out of time/adjusting to having been unfrozen. In the comics he's long past that.

Crusader105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Crusader105

Great posts everyone!

Also, just so everyone knows, I wasn't dissing on Cap in any way. He's one of my all-time favorites.

chocobojam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By chocobojam

I have read somewhere the reason why iron man is the "face" of avengers the movie and not captain america is bacause other eastern countries wouldnt like it.

and thats why when you see a promotional poster of avengers movie it as iron man who will you see in front and not captain america.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By acer51

I'm completley happy with how they did the Captain, he took command, he acted appropriately and during the battle he was the one calling all the shots.

Imo we need more Avengers though we just have the basic ones.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#14  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @chocobojam said:

I have read somewhere the reason why iron man is the "face" of avengers the movie and not captain america is bacause other eastern countries wouldnt like it.

and thats why when you see a promotional poster of avengers movie it as iron man who will you see in front and not captain america.

While I agree that Cap wasn't front and center on international posters because of the whole AMERICA being in his name, but the reason Iron Man was more front and center was mainly due to his movie being the first of Marvel's Cinematic Universe and because out of all the characters Iron Man is probably the most recognizable. This is obvious in the movie itself as Iron Man had more screen time out the whole team.
    Crusader105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crusader105

I'd think the reason Iron Man is front and center on the posters is because of Robert Downey Jr. He's easily the most well recognized actor (and probably the best) in the movie. Not that the other actors aren't good, because they are, but Downey Jr's name is more well-known and he's been in more movies. Him being on the posters more would appeal to a larger number of people (non-superhero fans)

As for the media with Iron Man in full suit, then the reason would be the "America" in Captain America.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16  Edited By DMC

@Crusader105 said:

Not demoted in rank, obviously, but in importance.

Yes, I know this is awhile after the movie, but I just watched it again.

While Iron Man is my favorite super hero and I loved the movie, I couldn't help but feel bad for Cap. He was somewhat demoted in the Avengers Movie, at least to me. In most Marvel media/comics, Cap is the center of the Avengers and holds them together. In the movie, all he stopped an epic Iron Man-Thor fight, got burned by Iron Man, punched a few guys, and stood around looking patriotic. I wish they made him more like...well, Captain America. Inspirational and whatnot.

Anyone agree? Disagree?

Well, if you mean Cap did have that "aura" like he has in the comics, that he didn't feel like an actual "living legend" who commands peoples attention and respect? I can see that, but that's not the fault of the Avengers movie or Chris Evans, (who did a great job)

Maybe the fault lies with Captain America : The First Avenger. By the end of that movie, did Steve feel like a battle tested warrior who's been on countless missions during WWII? Not really, then again it didn't feel like a true WWII movie either. It would have been great if the final assault on the Red Skull had the scale and action of the opening scene from The Ultimates. That would have helped ^_^

Avatar image for captainamerica119
    Captainamerica119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't feel like he got demoted. I mean he was badass during the war at the end. I do feel they should jave kept the Cap character devolpment scenes in the movie though.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By novi_homines

@war_killer said:

Throughout the whole movie it was Cap who held the team together,

• He was the first one to take on Loki in Germany
    • Stepped in and put an end to Iron Man and Thor's "battle of the egos," even putting Thor, the God of Thunder, in his place
    • Before the final battle he was the one who told the team to "suit up" and brought them back together
    • Proved himself a capable leader multiple times during the final battle by putting that police officer in his place, saved a whole building full of people, and was the one who stepped up and made the call, placing each member of the team where he best felt they would help to keep the situation under control, and was the one who made the call to close the portal.

It did take him a little while to get there, but by the end of the film Cap had become the leader of the Avengers, not by boasting his ego all over the place like Iron Man or showing off his brute strength like Thor, but instead by leading by example and being the levelheaded one of the group. Heck, even after Coulson was killed, though yes impacted by his death, Cap still kept a cool head and was the one who brought the team back together to avenge Coulson's death and stop Loki once and for all.

This.

He was clearly the leader of the team, as he's always been. So no, he wasn't demoted in my opinion.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a difference between he movie and the comics. The movie was a family friendly movie and also supposed to attract non comine book readers to start looking in more into the heroes. Cap wasn't demoted he just had to share time with 6 other avengers. Cap was the one who was in command during the alien invasion. Cap took on Loki before iron man or thor. Cap and stark were battling for alpha male role during their time in the hellacarrier. The only reason why we didn't see more of cap taking charge was becuase there were other avengers to show case in the movie to get people aware of them .

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much what everyone else said.

He wasn't in complete command of the team like how in the comics is, but portrayed more as a primus inter pares type leader, which I think fits better for the film context.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

Pretty much what everyone else said.

He wasn't in complete command of the team like how in the comics is, but portrayed more as a primus inter pares type leader, which I think fits better for the film context.

Yeah, also I think, in the movie he was out of his element. He had just woke up from his "Rip Van Winkle" nap, so the world was basically "alien" to him, for lack of a better word, but once battle broke out, he was back in his element, and took command of the situation.

In the comics it was essentially the same, he wasn't the leader of the Avengers right off the bat. It took time. He's been out in the modern world now for at least, what? 8-10 years? It's hard with the sliding timescale thing. So if you compare him from the movie to the comics, the movie is right around when Cap first came out of the ice, and the comics are, obviously, current times.

Pso_Christen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I never seen where people were coming from when saying stuff like "Iron Man was the focus on the whole movie". I found the roles in the movie to be evenly distributed, which was not a shock to me. I feel that Cap got a good bit out of the film. For a movie that was about two and a half hours, I think they had done a great job giving every character justice, even Hawkeye in his little time not being controlled.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I never seen where people were coming from when saying stuff like "Iron Man was the focus on the whole movie". I found the roles in the movie to be evenly distributed, which was not a shock to me. I feel that Cap got a good bit out of the film. For a movie that was about two and a half hours, I think they had done a great job giving every character justice, even Hawkeye in his little time not being controlled.

I agree completely. All the characters had their moments. Especially during the Battle of New York.

JezzupWuzzup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man should lead. He is the power house. He could beat them all. I'm not biased, I mean, I <3 Justice League, I would choose them over the Avengers all day. Have you guys not seen EMH? Iron Man lead in that Avengers version and it was amazing. I wouldn't like it as much without him leading.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By THORSON

cap 2 proved that he is the leader. not the samuel sterns leader, but the captain.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.