Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Can someone explain to me how the Civil War series works

Avatar image for josealonsoramirez1987
    josealonsoramirez1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello,

I am new to comic books, and therefore, new to comic vine. So I hope this is the right place to post this, since Cap America had a big part in the Civil War series. I need someone to explain to me how the Civil War series works. I found this seven issues of it (http://www.comicvine.com/civil-war/4050-42024/), but then I also found this list here in comic vine (http://www.comicvine.com/civil-war/4045-40615/). So are both of them just different parts of the civil war? Why are there seven issues, and then it jumps around from iron man, to punisher, to black panther. I am just confused about how this series works, specially since I am new to comics and don't know what order I am supposed to read them on.

Also, if you guys know any good comic book series for new people, I'd appreciate the advise.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Cap10nate

@josealonsoramirez1987: the 7 part series is the main story. On big events like this, a lot of the monthly titles tie into the event and add additional components to the story. They are usually not necessary to enjoy the event. Civil War is nicely contained to the main series so you don't have to pick up the other tie ins to get the whole story.

I'll come back later to post some of my favorite stories that you can check out

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ssejllenrad

South wanted slaves. North wants to free em. Series of battles. Peaked with Gettysburg. Union wins some months after. Grant brags. Lee cries. Nuff said... Oh wait... Different Civil War... Meh...

Avatar image for josealonsoramirez1987
    josealonsoramirez1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate Thanks for the help man! I'll be on the look out for those seven civil war issues and won't worry too much about the other tie ins. I'll wait for your advice on other stuff to read!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Cap10nate

@josealonsoramirez1987: Since this is on the Cap thread, I am assuming that you like him so I will start there. Brubaker's run on Cap was my entry way to the Marvel U. It is all of volume 5 and starts almost 2 years before Civil War starts and runs for 50 issues. The story then re-numbers at 600 and runs through 619 before the story goes in a different direction. This is one of my favorite runs of all time and should definitely be a huge influence to the Captain America movie.

Some of my other favorite series from that time and forward are:

Immortal Iron Fist by Brubaker/ Fraction and David Aja. It doesn't contribute much to the Marvel U as a whole but it is a great story definitely worth a read.

Annihilation by Kieren Giffin set the scene for everything in the current Marvel cosmic Universe. It is also one of my favorite stories. This is an epic tale that greatly benefits from its tie ins which all serve as prequels to the main story. It covers much of the Galaxy. it also introduces much of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Iron Man Extremis is a good story that sets the scene for modern Iron Man by Warren Ellis and is also a bit of a precursor to Civil War from his side.

Daredevil by Bendis and followed by Brubaker is another very good story that really breaks down the character.

Those are all from the similar time period around 2006.

Marvel relaunched about a year ago with all new number one issues and creative teams. No prior history was removed however however the status quo was basically reset so not much prior knowledge is necessary to jump on in.

Thor: God of Thunder has been a great story that just wrapped up its 11 issue story line about a creature that kills Gods and features Thor from three different time periods.

Avengers and New Avengers are both written by Jonathan Hickman and are crafting very interesting stories. Avengers has led directly into Infinity which started with a bang. New Avengers is dealing with no less of a threat and is a great character piece on the most intelligent men of earth.

Secret Avengers is one of my favorite current ongoing stories from Marvel right now. It has a lot of the characters from the movie and is full of great action and twists and turns.

Captain America has been interesting and Remender has crafted an interesting story that is a very large departure from what Brubaker did. I am also not a huge fan of Romita Jr who is the artist however he is leaving shortly.

Mark Waid is also writing two stories that are departures from prior incarnations with Hulk and Daredevil. Both have been melancholy characters for a long time and Waid is taking an upbeat approach to both characters.

Hawkeye is another great story that Marvel is producing by Fraction and Aja. It has a great mixture of comedy and action.

That should get you started. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will answer it if I can. If you want to read digitally, Comixology has all of these titles and collections available.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.