Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11747 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Awesome Toy Picks: Marvel Select--Captain America Unmasked

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a close look at a comic book collectible. That means taking it out of the package. With Captain America: The Winter Soldier out on Blu-ray this past week, we thought it was our patriotic duty to take a look at the Marvel Select, Captain America Unmasked action figure.

No Caption Provided

This figure is in the same scale as other Marvel Select figures (although he seems like he should be a tiny bit taller than the Winter Soldier figure). He stands at about 7" and has sixteen points of articulation. As with most Marvel Select figures, he comes with a display background, which is modeled after part of a S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier. You can see he also comes with an interchangeable head. The back of the package gives a description of Cap and brief summary from The Winter Soldier.

No Caption Provided

The unmasked head looks good. It may not have a Chris Evans likeness but it looks like you'd want a Steve Rogers action figure to look. If you want full on Chris Evans likeness, check out the recent spotlight we did on the sixth scale Cap figure from Sideshow Collectibles.

Cap's shield is pretty battered. We saw it like this in the movie and it clearly needs a new paint job. I would have like a little more scratched paint on it. It almost looks a little too bare. But it's still cool looking and something different from other Cap figures you may have.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Cap's got a serious look. He's definitely a guy that needs to learn to relax. Then again, if he did, the fate of the free world could be at risk.

It's cool seeing a figure of Cap not in his traditional red, white, and blues. Here, it's a little beat up as well. He's not dressed for a fancy awards banquet or anything. He's definitely seen some action. Too often figures look way too 'clean.' If you're looking to convey a little more realism, there should be some scuff marks or dirt spots. It shows that Cap isn't afraid to get his hands dirty.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

He has some thick boots on. He needs them for all the butt kickin', right? You can also see he clearly stands on his own. The base, which we'll look at more closely in just a sec, does not have any pegs on it to put him on.

No Caption Provided

His belt is a separate piece. It doesn't come off but having it unattached adds to the look of the figure.

No Caption Provided

You can remove the shield, if you choose. It's a nice snug fit but slides right off.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Here's the display base. It's nothing fancy. The S.H.I.E.L.D. logo is pretty cool. It's good for display purposes but kind of similar to other backgrounds we've seen.

No Caption Provided

The second, masked head is pretty cool too. It feels like you have two figures in one. It gives it a different vibe.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

It's almost as if the helmet makes you want to stand up and salute him.

No Caption Provided

With the articulation, you can put him in different poses. It's like he's completely ready to punch HYDRA in the nose.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

As for scale and comparison, I mentioned the Winter Soldier (Bucky) figure. Here, you can see them side by side. I like to pretend they get along.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

You can get the Cap figure at the Disney Store. If there isn't one in your area (or if they don't have any in stock), you can order directly from their online store. The cost is $24.95. You can still order the Winter Soldier figure as well.

That's it for this week. Let us know what you thought of this Cap figure or if you have it already. We'll take a look at another item next time.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Watched Winter Soldier again tonight. I think that was the 5th time, maybe the 6th. It never loses it's punch.

This figure looks like a fitting tribute to Steve. Thanks for showing it off @g_man. :)

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Hey Mr. Guerrero what do you do with all this merchandise you get? between this and all the comics there must be almost 0 space in your home/office (still pretty cool to have this swag though). Also do you have to pay for it? or do you get it for free since you promote it? (sorry to ask so many questions).

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I kind of want to use these figures when I'm putting up Christmas stuff in two months. I wonder if anyone would get they are "toy soldiers"

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Pretty cool stuff

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By amazing_webhead

Jeez, who does Cap keep going to to get his shield repainted? Because that guy deserves a raise!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised it doesn't look like Chris Evans

FanboyAsylum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised it doesn't look like Chris Evans

Most superhero action figures don't look like the actor. With the exclusion of Hot Toys. But I can't afford to buy all the Captain America variations that come out every year, no matter how badly I want to.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool figure but I'm waiting on my hot toys version to come.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.