Follow

Cable

Character » Cable appears in 3580 issues.

The once-mysterious Cable (a.k.a. Nathan Summers) is Cyclops' time-traveling son who was infected with the deadly techno-organic virus during his infancy, which he keeps at bay using his advanced psionic powers. At one time a founding member and leader of the militant team called X-Force, previously known as the New Mutants, Cable takes the aimless youths under his wing and whips them into fighting shape in order to prepare them for future threats.

What if Cable never got the virus?

NewCapA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NewCapA

If Cable never got the techno organic virus would he be stronger than Jean?  Or given that he had to telekinetically hold it back for most of his life if he suddenly didn't have to wouldn't his telekinetic power increase by more than 10 fold?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By jordama
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "He'd be Nate Grey ;) "

But within 616 universe, how do you think the X-World would have been different if Scott didn't have to give him up.
    eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By eldestrisk
    @xerox-kitty: As soon as i saw t he topic I wanted to put that. Why didn't I thought before you'll beat me to it. =S
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @jordama: @eldestrisk: Yeah, I know he probably wouldn't end up like Nate Grey.  I guess the closest thing we'll have to answering this question is the recent X-Factor: Forever where 'Cable' appeared as a baby who hadn't been infected. 

If the current New Mutants 'Fall of the New Mutants' arc is correct and the events of Inferno happened only 3 or 4 years ago, then an uninfected Nathan Christopher Summers would only be about 4 or 5 years old.  However, it's unlikely that he would have been given an eternal pre-Kindergarten existence like Franklin Richards...  So if he hadn't been infected & sent into the future, then the chances are he'd had suffered some other fate that forced his rapid aging (like when Illyana was lost in Limbo and re-appeared as a teenager just seconds later).
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jordama

Its amazing that with all the X-Men, none really ever has a kid that they have to actually raise. Instead they are taken and brought back much older or the are from alternate realities where they were raised .
    eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By eldestrisk
    @jordama: And they all are Cyclops related. I can't think of a child from other X-Men. (I'm not counting Wolverine of course)
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jordama
    @eldestrisk:

Out of the ones that have entered the 616, Nightcrawlers daughter, Nocturn.  
    They had that future GeNext that had some kids, none ever came to 616.  
    Azari has been hinted at being Black Panthers and Storms but I think thats unconfirmed.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @jordama said:
    "Its amazing that with all the X-Men, none really ever has a kid that they have to actually raise. Instead they are taken and brought back much older or the are from alternate realities where they were raised . "

And that's the problem.  Poor Siryn was stuck in a situation where no more mutant children could be born & therefore there had to be a way to (for want of better words) dispose of the baby.  Therefore they came up with the idea that children of Madrox are dupes & threrefore will be absorbed.  Pretty harsh! 

So if Cable hadn't been taken to the future, then something equally horrific or tragic would have happened.  There's an unwritten rule that X-Men can't have babies... so what's going to happen to poor Rahne??
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think he would become somewhat of a Magneto, trying to force the world
    into his paradigm, until he got out of control and the X-Men had to face him
    down (sounds like the usual rehashed x-plot right?). Kind of like the route
    he was going when he was " God Cable " during the Providence time period
    when he took it to the Surfer.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @CATMANEXE: That was during my non-comic reading years.  What issues was that story in?
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox-kitty: 
    i don't remember the issue #s offhand, but it was in Cable & Deadpool near the end half of the run. 

you had non-comic reading years? i'm sorry. happens to the best of us.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @CATMANEXE: Ah... I've tried looking in shops & on eBay for that series.  Old Deadpool comics are SO hard to find (or they're ridiculously priced).  I'll keep an eye out for those, thanks.
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Namor1987
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " He'd be Nate Grey ;) "
    Actually wouldn't he be more like Stryfe only good (or evil) & not Nate Grey
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Namor1987 said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:
    " He'd be Nate Grey ;) "
    Actually wouldn't he be more like Stryfe only good (or evil) & not Nate Grey "

It was just a joke.  And no, he wouldn't.  As I said earlier given the fact that it was recently established that Inferno was only 4 years ago, then if little baby Nathan Christopher had never been infected... he'd still be a little boy.  He wouldn't be either X-Man or Stryfe.
    doomsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By doomsummers
    @NewCapA: In X men Forever it showed what would happend if Cable never got the virus. He like Nate Grey was slowly dieing because of the massive power he has.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Primmaster64
    No Caption Provided
    chtri001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By chtri001

I agree that most of the evidence seems to indicate that he'd be like Nate Grey.  But there is one little problem with that theory.  If that's the case, then why wasn't Stryfe as powerful as Nate Grey.  He was identical to Cable in every way except for the fact that he was free of the TO virus.  Yet, he always seemed to be on equal footing with Cable.  His presence seems to throw a wrench into the theory. 

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By MetropolisKid41

That's a very good point, I guess the only reasoning I can think of (besides inconsistent writing) is that somehow during the cloning process some mutant power in their genetics was lost? Cable being the offspring of Scott & Madelyne (a clone) and then Stryfe being a clone of him? Or maybe since Nate was from the AoA universe, where mutation and evolution were encourged instead of surpressed, that Sinister's genetic experiments and technology yielded more perfect and powerful results?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.