Follow

Bucky Barnes

Character » Bucky Barnes appears in 2102 issues.

Believed dead near the end of World War II only to have been found and brainwashed by the Soviets for the next 50 years, Captain America's former sidekick now continues to defend his country from the shadows against those who would threaten it as legendary spy and assassin, the Winter Soldier. He became the new Captain America to honor his friend Steve and he joined the Avengers. When Steve returned as Captain America, Bucky took on the identity of the Winter Soldier once again.

Well he's dead.....so now what?

Blue Outburst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Blue Outburst

Marvel makes me angry sometimes. So this is not the first time he's dead I know but Bucky never really reached his full potential. My main angry point is that he had a lot of character background he could have covered for example he could have visited his sister Rebecca Barnes Proctor. Or visited his the memorial that was built in his honor. All of this was established in Captain America 48 of the 1998 volume. The reason I'm bringing this up is because I found this issue lying around in my collection and I thought it would have been kind of cool to see Bucky see his sister. Or see the momument that was built at the point where Steve thought Bucky met his final resting place. Idk....does anyone else feel like this would have been a good idea?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I honestly thought his sister was dead...? O_o But then again I haven't read many issues before Brubaker's run so I could be wrong.

But you are not the only one who is angry, Marvel has ticked off myself and a lot of other Bucky fans that I know of here on the site with killing him off. His death was unnecessary and only happened so that Steve could return to being Captain America for the movie. It was a waste of years of character development and growth which we could have continued to see more off if Marvel didn't pull crap like this with killing characters off for the sake of movies and big comic events. (I would rant a lot more....but I've filled plenty of threads concerning this issue and honestly....I'm tired of ranting at this point...)

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Did Bucky die in the comics the same week that the movie in which he dies was released?

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Primmaster64
    @War Killer: I know how you feel.
    Pacperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Pacperson

Maybe they'll be some cop out pilot device that brings him back at the end of Fear itself =p

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ReVamp
    @War Killer said:

I honestly thought his sister was dead...? O_o But then again I haven't read many issues before Brubaker's run so I could be wrong.  But you are not the only one who is angry, Marvel has ticked off myself and a lot of other Bucky fans that I know of here on the site with killing him off. His death was unnecessary and only happened so that Steve could return to being Captain America for the movie. It was a waste of years of character development and growth which we could have continued to see more off if Marvel didn't pull crap like this with killing characters off for the sake of movies and big comic events. (I would rant a lot more....but I've filled plenty of threads concerning this issue and honestly....I'm tired of ranting at this point...)

Yeah. I've already started buying pitchforks and everything. Fo realz.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@Primmaster64 said:
    @War Killer: I know how you feel.
    gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gravitypress

I am doubting that this is permanent because in the Avengers comic Hulk was talking about him like he has something big yet to do.

jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jayskee
    @gravitypress
    it better not be or i may stop reading captain ameriica
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By joshmightbe

His name isn't Ben and this is Marvel he'll be back

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By PowerHerc

So, assuming he's really dead, I guess Marvel might really be as bad as many say.

I mean; Why bring Bucky back after decades of being dead only to kill him off again so soon? It's just plain bad writing.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#12  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @gravitypress said:
    I am doubting that this is permanent because in the Avengers comic Hulk was talking about him like he has something big yet to do.
    I'm pretty sure that was Bendis hinting at what happened in the Trial of Captain America and Fear Itself, but either way that was really horrible writing and honestly didn't make much sense because why would these future kids of the Avengers give a crap about what Bucky did, Thor's daughter saying "I hate him" was just plain random because Bucky didn't do anything to her nor did he know Thor at all really, and Hulk saying Bucky would get what's coming to him didn't make sense, because if he's referring to the things he did as Winter Soldier Hulk can't blame him for something he had no control over and really where does Hulk, who's lost control how many times and killed plenty of people, come off passing judgement anyways?

We all know that Bucky will be back, that's not what everyone is upset about. What we're all upset about is the fact that Marvel spent years of character growth and development only to throw it all away for one movie, it's stupid, wasteful, and a slap in the face to everyone who's spent years invested in these stories only to see them thrown away like they were meaningless...
    Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Benzo

Poor Bucky! :( It was just so stupid that they had to kill him off. 

TheShame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 21

#14  Edited By TheShame

Shame, Bucky was an interesting Cap.....Steve Rogers returning to the role is a cop out.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#15  Edited By The Impersonator

Bucky will be back. I'm sure of it.
    CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CapFanboy

I swear, unless fraction or some other writer has Odin return Bucky to life as thanks for helping his ass against the serpent. I am boycotting every marvel book that is tied to a major 616 event.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.