Follow

Bucky Barnes

Character » Bucky Barnes appears in 2102 issues.

Believed dead near the end of World War II only to have been found and brainwashed by the Soviets for the next 50 years, Captain America's former sidekick now continues to defend his country from the shadows against those who would threaten it as legendary spy and assassin, the Winter Soldier. He became the new Captain America to honor his friend Steve and he joined the Avengers. When Steve returned as Captain America, Bucky took on the identity of the Winter Soldier once again.

How old is Bucky right now?

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hey guys, I was just wondering... How old is Buck right now? I mean, he's got killed when he was nearly 21, so let's say he was 20/21 when the plane exploded. In Captain America v5, when this whole Winter Soldier turned out to be Bucky, Fury was saying that between year XXXX and XXXX he aged approx. 5 years, and then between X and X he aged next 3 years. That would mean he's like, what, 28,29? Or 30+ maybe, I have no clue.

And then, how old is Steve right now? It would be weird to have Bucky older than Steve (even though it happened once in some old comic, I guess, but you know, it doesn't count).

Because if Bucky's 30 or more, why does everyone keep calling him "kid"? I mean, I know why, but seriously, if he'd be like 20-27, maybe, yeah, they can do so. But in his 30s ? ^^'

And I don't mean his real age, of course.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By w0nd

@kleo_94 said:

Hey guys, I was just wondering... How old is Buck right now? I mean, he's got killed when he was nearly 21, so let's say he was 20/21 when the plane exploded. In Captain America v5, when this whole Winter Soldier turned out to be Bucky, Fury was saying that between year XXXX and XXXX he aged approx. 5 years, and then between X and X he aged next 3 years. That would mean he's like, what, 28,29? Or 30+ maybe, I have no clue.

And then, how old is Steve right now? It would be weird to have Bucky older than Steve (even though it happened once in some old comic, I guess, but you know, it doesn't count).

Because if Bucky's 30 or more, why does everyone keep calling him "kid"? I mean, I know why, but seriously, if he'd be like 20-27, maybe, yeah, they can do so. But in his 30s ? ^^'

And I don't mean his real age, of course.

same situation for spider-man, and Alex power is another one. They all age slow and their ages bounce around. Is franklin still 8 years old? verlia is still only 3 years old lol. It's so weird, it's one of those things you have to ignore. And keeping cap frozen for the same period of time and being part of the war, but waking up in modern day is another thing you have to ignore, they increase the lengths hes stayed frozen and try not to mention the current year they are in now

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kleo_94

@w0nd said:

same situation for spider-man, and Alex power is another one. They all age slow and their ages bounce around. Is franklin still 8 years old? verlia is still only 3 years old lol. It's so weird, it's one of those things you have to ignore. And keeping cap frozen for the same period of time and being part of the war, but waking up in modern day is another thing you have to ignore, they increase the lengths hes stayed frozen and try not to mention the current year they are in now

I know. I still think they sometimes just don't want to mention how old some of the characters are, especially the slow aging ones. But this is really confusing. I think they've gone a bit too far to give how much older Bucky is (8 years between year X and X, as Fury said is one issue), because, when I add it up, Bucky would have to be 30 at least, and that ain't happening, since he's still often depicted as 20ish year-old. Depends on the comics and artist, though, they still call him kid, which means he still has to be young enough. The heck with it... And Steve still have to be at least a few years older. Dammit, Marvel. You ruin my life! :P

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@kleo_94: Well look at Speedball and Justice, they are both the same age as Spider-Man yet in New Warriors they are portrayed as 17.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the original Winter Soldier story, Nick Fury says something to the effect that Bucky only aged five years since the mid-1950s.

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

In the original Winter Soldier story, Nick Fury says something to the effect that Bucky only aged five years since the mid-1950s.

He said: "Between 1955 and 1976 it's estimated our hitter only aged approxiately five years." and then: "[the picture from the last week] Here he is again, about three years older than he was in '76."

It's kinda impossible that in 21 years he aged 5 years, and then (I don't know which year it was then, but assuming 2006 or sth) in like... 30 years he aged next 3 years. I mean... What? How is that even possible, while he's assumed in Marvel Universe as an adult man, but still as considerably young adult. As I said, notice how everyone around call him "kid" or "cap junior". I'm aware that these are just comics, but you don't call a man in his 30s a "kid".

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kleo_94 said:

@xwraith said:

He said: "Between 1955 and 1976 it's estimated our hitter only aged approxiately five years." and then: "[the picture from the last week] Here he is again, about three years older than he was in '76."

It's kinda impossible that in 21 years he aged 5 years, and then (I don't know which year it was then, but assuming 2006 or sth) in like... 30 years he aged next 3 years. I mean... What? How is that even possible, while he's assumed in Marvel Universe as an adult man, but still as considerably young adult. As I said, notice how everyone around call him "kid" or "cap junior". I'm aware that these are just comics, but you don't call a man in his 30s a "kid".

IIRC, he was kept in stasis from 1988 until Lukin broke him out to get the Cosmic Cube.

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kleo_94

@xwraith: He was, so this would mean his slow-aging isn't that slow.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@kleo_94: You are correct. He doesn't age slower than anyone else, it's just that he was frozen in stasis for 60 yrs and his total time thawed out only amounted to 8 years or whatever the real number is.

If I had to put a physical age to Buck, id say that he is right around 30 with Cap being around 35. That's how I read it.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@kleo_94: When Bucky was found by the Soviets in 1945 he had just celebrated his twentieth birthday. After he was found he was kept in stasis until I think 1954, which is when the Soviets started Project: Winter Soldier. He remained active until I believe 1957, which is when his memories began to come back, forcing the Soviets to place Bucky in stasis in-between missions. He did age normally between 1954 and 1957, so if he was twenty in 1945, add three-or-so years to that would put him around 22-23.

Now, going by what Fury said, between 1957 and up to the present day, it's believed that Bucky has only aged about eight or so years, which would put him at around 30-31, which is the age that Bucky seems to be in most comics, specifically Brubaker's run.

supernova10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He had his first three years with out being frozen then he aged five years after that then he became good so 27-29

FanboyAsylum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has the Infinity Formula, so he physically ages very slowly, like Fury. But he's about at old as Steve, since Brubaker's retcon puts them at a 2-3 year age difference. People call him kid because they used to call him that during the war. Logan still calls Steve "kid" sometimes.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.