Follow

Bucky Barnes

Character » Bucky Barnes appears in 2103 issues.

Believed dead near the end of World War II only to have been found and brainwashed by the Soviets for the next 50 years, Captain America's former sidekick now continues to defend his country from the shadows against those who would threaten it as legendary spy and assassin, the Winter Soldier. He became the new Captain America to honor his friend Steve and he joined the Avengers. When Steve returned as Captain America, Bucky took on the identity of the Winter Soldier once again.

Bucky's handgun not a luger. Confirmed.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By slimj87d

Hey Everyone,

Here at Comic Con San Diego and I met no other than Steve Epting himself. I paid him to draw me a awesome cover of Bucky and I will share it later. But browsing through his awesome art I asked him a question that had been itching on the back of my mind. I knew for the longest time that Bucky's HG was not a luger but rather look exactly like Nick Fury's electric needle gun. I asked Steve what he had in mind all those times when he drew Bucky's handgun and why it's so powerful. He answered somewhere along the lines of

"Everyone always asks me 'why would Bucky be using a German handgun?' It's not, it's a specially modified SHIELD handgun."

So there you have it. The handgun is now confirmed to be a SHIELD handgun and not a luger like other artist and guest writers think it is. Ed, Alex and Steve meant for it to be a suped up modified version of Nick Fury's electric handgun. Check out my respect thread for it's capabilities.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I actually knew that because, like on Captain America #34 with Bucky's first appearance as Cap, Alex Ross made the mistake of drawing Bucky carrying a normal handgun and this was corrected by I believe Brubaker who said it was the S.H.I.E.L.D. gun.

Are you going to upload the art Epting drew for you?

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By slimj87d
    @War Killer

This one is from Chad Hardin, it was just a print out, not drawn for me. 

No Caption Provided

Here is the Steve Epting one. He was a really nice guy and I mean a really nice guy. I asked him to draw half Bucky Cap and half Winter Soldier and it came out perfectly. When I get good at photoshop I'm going to try and color it. 

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#4  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @SlimJ87D said:
    @War Killer

This one is from Chad Hardin, it was just a print out, not drawn for me. 

No Caption Provided

Here is the Steve Epting one. He was a really nice guy and I mean a really nice guy. I asked him to draw half Bucky Cap and half Winter Soldier and it came out perfectly. When I get good at photoshop I'm going to try and color it. 

The first one looks great, love the sun shining in the background, though I do wonder why he's out in a random field. Still a great image.

The second one looks awesome!!! Epting is one of my favorite artist.
    Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Cap10nate

@SlimJ87D: That is an amazing picture. I wish Epting would draw the current series. I really do enjoy how the new series is done now, but that run on Cap has the most ridiculous and realistic art that I have seen.

raidenexe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By raidenexe

But in an issue of New Avengers (Volume 1, Issue 56, to be exact) when Bucky was Captain America, and all of the Avengers were knocked incapacitated, save for Mockingbird. She ended up using his gun and shield to fight against the Wrecking Crew, and commented on how the gun was a modified Luger.

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MrMiracle77

It wasn't uncommon for soldiers to take P08's from fallen officers in WWI and WWII.  It was a compact pistol that made a decent souvenir, something that you could take home if you were quiet enough about it.  The fact that it used the widely-available 9x19mm Parabellum made it fairly practical if you were stuck behind enemy lines.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By slimj87d

@raidenexe said:

But in an issue of New Avengers (Volume 1, Issue 56, to be exact) when Bucky was Captain America, and all of the Avengers were knocked incapacitated, save for Mockingbird. She ended up using his gun and shield to fight against the Wrecking Crew, and commented on how the gun was a modified Luger.

I have that scan in his respect thread. What she says is "What is this? A modified luger?"

Anyways, Bendis didn't come up with Bucky or made him Cap. Ed Brubaker and his artist did together.

It's word from himself, Steve Epting, that said he drew and designed it to be a modified SHIELD pistol from Nick Fury's electric needle gun. This is Steve Epting here, the only person I'll believe over him is Ed Brubaker.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.