Follow

Bruce Wayne: The Road Home: Commissioner Gordon

Volume »

Bruce Wayne continues to test his allies, seeing where they will fall into his future plans. Up next is possibly his greatest allie, and one of his oldest friends, Commissioner James Gordon.

Review: Bruce Wayne - The Road Home: Commissioner Gordon #1

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Now that Gotham's villains have Vicki Vale's scent, Commissioner Gordon might be the only who can protect from a hit put out by two low-level capes.

The Good

Kudranski's art is incredibly moody, keeping the intensity at a pitch throughout. Even though the story's told in a non-linear fashion, I also enjoyed the methodical progression of the goons' assault, Gordon's defense and Bruce Wayne's more-involved-than-expected intervention. Also, while it wasn't as probing as the Batgirl and Catwoman specials were, this still had the interesting angle on Gordon's character - - how he's trying assert his own value while, at the same time, respecting Batman's necessity.

The Bad

Gordon even makes a joke about it being pretty obvious that this new mask is really the Batman he's work with for years - - so I still think that the conceit Bruce puts his allies through seems like a bit of stretch, even by superhero standards. Also, why I did like the artwork's moody atmosphere for the most part, there were definitely portions where things got so dark as to almost make it hard to follow the action.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

Part of the fun of a special like this is the chance to see supporting characters like Gordon finally get the spotlight and have a little more attention lavished on the nuances of their character. While this might have got a little messy at points, I still enjoyed the claustrophobic horror/thriller tension. Also, seeing as how Gordon was wise to Bruce's ruse, it addressed issues I had with the believability of some of these tie-ins. 
    cjcox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cjcox

Hmm, might pick this up.

Rich-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Rich-Man

oh boy!....too many Batman titles

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By NightFang3

This comics Commissioner Gordon looks like Gary Oldman.

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By N7_Normandy

I've stopped reading these one shots after seeing ho terrible the first three were

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Eyz

A horror/thriller-ysh Gordon comic? Nice!

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By FoxxFireArt

These The Road Home books are terribly named. He is home.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.