inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

I like that while Jaime Reyes is the Blue Beetle, the whole issue is the story of how Khaji-Da came into being. I really didn't know what to expect out of this issue, since I've been on-again, off-again on this BLUE BEETLE volume. I had little expectations, but I was overall, very happy with what I read.

BLUE BEETLE 0 reads more of a history lesson than anything else, which works, since that's how it is being presented to Jaime. It's cool to see that Khaji-Da has been on this planet a lot longer than any of us have thought, and I thought the whole story with the Sky Witness was a fantastic backstory. We also catch a glimpse of how the Reach and the Green Lantern Corps have never really seen eye-to-eye, and when I say that, I really mean they hate each other.

What this book does better than a few of the other zero issues I've read is that it's very accessible to new readers. Some of the other zero issues do well at introducing the reader to a character, but they don't really catch the reader up to where the story is now. In the long run, this won't matter, but BLUE BEETLE 0 brings the reader up to speed very well. The issue actually brings the reader up-to-date and thrusts them into the new story. It's a mini-cliffhanger, and it may bring in some new readers.

Ig Guara is on pencils, J.P. Mayer is on inks, and Pete Pantazis is on colors. I like Mayer's inks on this book a lot. They're subtle and don't take away from the pencils of Guara. Mayer's lines are great, especially in detailed areas. You'd be amazed with how thin the ink lines can get.

The Bad

I'm left with one burning question after reading this issue. Does Ted Kord not exist in the New 52? While it's true he possessed the scarab, it never bonded with him. Does this mean the scarab was out of commission and therefore, wasn't aware of Ted Kord or does he just not exist in this universe? Man, it sucks being a Ted Kord fanboy in this era of DC.

The Verdict

This is a very solid zero issue that does a great job at telling the origin story of Khaji-Da. It's engaging and it has the potential to be great for new readers, as long as new readers are willing to pick this book up. I liked how the issue catches readers up to where the current BLUE BEETLE volume leaves off, so new readers can jump right in.

On the down side, I was really hoping for some Ted Kord, and I got nothing, not even a glimpse.

Overall, I really enjoyed this issue and I recommend it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.