Follow

Blade

Character » Blade appears in 744 issues.

A human-vampire hybrid with all the strengths but none of the weaknesses of a traditional vampire, Blade has dedicated his life to destroying the occult world of vampires and all who associate with them.

Wesley Snipe's Blade was terrible

• 78 results
    Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Endanger

After reading the Blade's 12 issue mini-comics, plus Midnight Sons and Ghostrider stuff.

I realized how OFF Wesley Snipes' portrayal of Blade was. 

I mean, first of all, I was surprised as to how Blade was a very likable guy in the comics, he's not a dark or intimidating character like how Snipes' portrayed him. Blade was much, much more laid-back in the comics, often joked around. had a sense of humor.  But Snipes just went with his stereotypical Black militant attitude, plus with Blade being from England, he should have some type of accent shouldn't he?

And plus, the flashback story of Blade growing up in London in the 12 issue mini was better than anything in those crappy movies. Anyone else agree?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By daredevil21134

Hell no,I don't agree.Wesley Snipes is the reason why most people even know Blade exist.

RScottH08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RScottH08

@daredevil21134: I agree with this statement,

Also, I understand things were changed and the films may not have followed any specific story, but they were pretty good in their own right and were pretty successful as well. (Although i did think the third one sucked)

But hey, its your opinion and everyone feels differently about things.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@daredevil21134 said:

Hell no,I don't agree.Wesley Snipes is the reason why most people even know Blade exist.

Co-Signed

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By _Zombie_

The movies weren't crappy (with the exception of Trinity) and Snipes wasn't terrible. I loved his performance as Blade and thought it was accurate, for the most part.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By King_Saturn
    I thought Wesley Snipes was Very Good as Blade... 
    Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Hunter114

There are several incarnations of the character, he's been around since 1973, so there are bound to be some where he's laid back, some where he's cool and some where he's badass... just as there are some where he looks kinda lame (I'm looking at you classic Blade)

But you have to give the movies some credit... they do the character justice and quite frankly they gave credibility to comicbook movies, where Batman and Robin made it seem like all hope was lost... if it wasn't for Blade, there wouldn't have been X-Men and there wouldn't have been any of the Marvel movies that came after it

Personally speaking, I thought that Snipes did a good job in the role, and sure, Trinity wasn't as good as the others, but it was ok for what it was

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@daredevil21134 said:

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By z3ro180

Blade 1 was awesome blade 2 was ok Blade 3 was amazing lol just kidding it sucked

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By X35

Wasn't half the things the original poster listed retcons in that awful Chaykin Blade series that came out like 10 years after the first film did?

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Terrible isn't the word I would use. If it wasn't for Blade the rest of these new comic movies probably wouldn't have been made, and Blade was far from record setting and barely a block buster.

NewKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NewKid

i never understand the blade films popularity, i only saw the 1st 2 for the first time this year and thought they were both awful.

and yeah... snipes was bad.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By daredevil21134

Snipes was awsome

Baptimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Baptimus

In my personal opinion, the 1st one was Great, the 2nd one was good and the 3rd was okay at best, pretty close to bad! lol

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

Snipes did his thing in Blade. 1&2 were great ,3 sucked so bad though.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@daredevil21134 said:

Yup.

Also, Blade was also at the front of the wave of comic movies, hitting in the late 1990s and blazing the path for many of the movies we've enjoyed since.

Without Blade as a "proof" that comic movies could be entertaining, quality, and profitable, you'd never have had an Avengers or Dark Knight Rises.

Skulexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Skulexander

I have to say, that just because something originated in a different media, doesn't mean that that original version is better. I'm not saying it's bad, but saying the new version is bad because it's not exactly like the original is cynical. The Blade movies were good (even the third, in my opinion, in it's own right), and Snipes was a great Blade. Not to mention the Blade movies paved the way for non-campy comic book movies.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By daredevil21134
    SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By SavageDragon

This is total blasphemy. Wesley Snipes as Blade was sick. Midnight sons was ok and his Nightstalkers series was pretty good but overall I found the Movies (1 and 2) to be a lot more entertaining than the comics but thats just me. Warning, stay away from the Blade MAX series. That mini, with the exception of the great covers was terrible. I like Wesley Snipes so much as Blade I hope they make a 4th one with him or have a Cameo for him in the Marvel cinematic universe lol. (Wont happen I know). Still maybe a fox promoted teamup with Spider-man would be awesome as well.

Snipes Blade is a BOSS.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By evilvegeta74

@darede@X35said:

@Gamblersaid:

@daredevil21134 said:

Co-Signed

Wasn't half the things the original poster listed retcons in that awful Chaykin Blade series that came out like 10 years after the first film did?

vil21134

said:

@SavageDragonsaid:

This is total blasphemy. Wesley Snipes as Blade was sick. Midnight sons was ok and his Nightstalkers series was pretty good but overall I found the Movies (1 and 2) to be a lot more entertaining than the comics but thats just me. Warning, stay away from the Blade MAX series. That mini, with the exception of the great covers was terrible. I like Wesley Snipes so much as Blade I hope they make a 4th one with him or have a Cameo for him in the Marvel cinematic universe lol. (Wont happen I know). Still maybe a fox promoted teamup with Spider-man would be awesome as well.

Snipes Blade is a BOSS.

@Endanger

said:

After reading the Blade's 12 issue mini-comics, plus Midnight Sons and Ghostrider stuff. I realized how OFF Wesley Snipes' portrayal of Blade was. I mean, first of all, I was surprised as to how Blade was a very likable guy in the comics, he's not a dark or intimidating character like how Snipes' portrayed him. Blade was much, much more laid-back in the comics, often joked around. had a sense of humor. But Snipes just went with his stereotypical Black militant attitude, plus with Blade being from England, he should have some type of accent shouldn't he? And plus, the flashback story of Blade growing up in London in the 12 issue mini was better than anything in those crappy movies. Anyone else agree?

@Endanger: Snipes was great and help pave the way for what you're judging him by know updated marvel Movies. He's part of the reason you're seeing so much put out by Marvel, you should be thanking him!

DRDOOMSDAY390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DRDOOMSDAY390

Wesley Snipes made blade great he did a wonderful job, really how the hell is somebody going to complain about a actor playing a comicbook character very well? i just don't get that.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Yeah, the movies that kicked off the Golden Age of Comic Films are definitely awful. And the guy who brought a D-List character into public consciousness also sucked.

(Faceplam)

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Blade TV series sucked. Wesley's Blade rocked!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

The only thing I didn't like about the Blade films is that they decided to Americanise him

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snipes is the best thing that happen to Blade

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I loved the movies and I thought that Snipes was great.I loved his portrayal of Blade and I thought he did an amazing job.Only Trinity sucked a lot.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By daredevil21134

Yeah, the movies that kicked off the Golden Age of Comic Films are definitely awful. And the guy who brought a D-List character into public consciousness also sucked.

(Faceplam)

lol

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wesley Snipes was a damn good Blade. I liked all the Blade movies (yes even Trinity). The TV show was Meh. Snipes saved Blade from obscurity. Now if someone can do the same to save Ghost Rider from Nick Cage, Maybe I get my Midnight Sons team movie. (I know....wishful thinking.)

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'll be honest. The first one was good for it's time but I feel they could do better and with a better suited actor. Snipes was fine actor and good for action movies but I think there could do better.

I guess I'm the only one who liked the TV series.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the 1st one. 2nd was good and never saw the 3rd due to word of mouth. Plus no comic book movie is totally accurate to the comic. The sooner one realizes this, the sooner one can enjoy a comic book for what is it.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#31  Edited By turoksonofstone

No.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bogey

Absolutely correct, Wesley Snipes sucked compared to Kirk Jones (Sticky Fingaz.)

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the first 2 movies. Cant speak for the comics though.

Hanson724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first 2 were awesome and the 3rd sucked beyond belief.

FearNoEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wesley Snipes was boss as Blade.

DRDOOMSDAY390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: no nobody can pull it off but Wesley Snipes

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#38 vance_astro  Moderator

His portrayal might have been off as it compares to the comics, but it wasn't bad either. Wesley Snipes was a VERY good Blade.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drdoomsday390: I disagree. I've seen actors in the past who I'd prefer. Besides Snipes is old now. Time to find one for the next generation.

DRDOOMSDAY390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DRDOOMSDAY390

@bogey: lmfao where do i start? sticky fingaz is nowhere close to be as a good blade as the man himself wesley snipes infact how is it that his two blade movies did well and sticky fingaz's blade tv show fail? easy it's because sticky fingaz is a very bad actor they should have gotten michael j white to play the daywalker instead of some rapper, im done bye bye.

DRDOOMSDAY390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drdoomsday390: Unless an actor has been a blockbuster star for many years names are not something I bother to remember.

DRDOOMSDAY390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: ok? well i understand you have a different opinion on this and all i'll respect that but however unless you can come up any black actors name who can play a better blade? wesley snipes was the great choice to play the daywalker everybody else had no problem with him playing the part but afew haters? only maybe because they don't like snipes? plus i believed he can still pull it off old or not, if there is a reboot blade movie would be made? incase they get somebody else? i pick michael j white as blade he's underrated and a martial arts, im geting sleepy now i want to end this anyways again i'll respect your opinion on how you feel about this but i just disagree with you wesley snipes is blade nuff said LOL im out good nite

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drdoomsday390: but however unless you can come up any black actors name who can play a better blade?

Unless I can come up with a better actor what?

wesley snipes was the great choice to play the daywalker everybody else had no problem with him playing the part but afew haters?

He was an ok one. Most people were ok with him because most knew nothing of the comic. He might as well been another character with similar themes then be a blade movie.

only maybe because they don't like snipes?

Don't know where you got that idea. I'm a huge fan since the beginning of his career. I also said I enjoyed the first movie but that was before I knew anything about Blade. You can still be a fan of an actor and thing he doesn't fit the part. Case in point Ryan Reynold. Love him as an actor but thought he was totally wrong for Green Lantern. Besides the point I don't remember saying he was bad just that they can do better.

plus i believed he can still pull it off old or not

He can't just the fact that he's old makes him fail. Unless he can fool people into thinking he's younger than he is it's a fail.

, if there is a reboot blade movie would be made?

If there is a reboot the last thing they should do is go back to the old well.

michael j white as blade he's underrated and a martial arts,

I like him and think he should be in some comic movie. Though I would try and find a different character than Blade before going back there.

i'll respect your opinion on how you feel about this but i just disagree with you wesley snipes is blade nuff said

I disagree and not enough said by me but I'm ok with you having a different opinion and wanting to end this.

SonOfHellstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

I'll be honest. The first one was good for it's time but I feel they could do better and with a better suited actor. Snipes was fine actor and good for action movies but I think there could do better.

I guess I'm the only one who liked the TV series.

I one of those who like all of the Blade movies. Yes even Trinity. I know Dracula sucked, and the story was weak; but Parker Posey and Ryan Reynolds stole every scene they were in, and the general plot idea was good, even if it was executed poorly. Snipes was perfect for the role. As for the series, i liked it as well. Kirk Jones started out a little weak, but started to grow into the role. The other four main cast members were solid.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Sticky Fingaz was alright

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

Loading Video...

SonOfHellstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delphic That was a great line.

@daredevil21134 He was fine, once he got comfortable. Wesley Snipes' performance as Blade, was a hard act to follow. That's why so many Blade fans didn't like him. They wanted Snipes. Well Snipes doesn't do TV. The show is free on WB .com. I watch it every couple of years, as a replacement for The Walking Dead on Sunday nights.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

IIRC he was almost constantly high for the 3rd film. So if that ever seemed off to anyone...well there's your reason.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delphic That was a great line.

@daredevil21134 He was fine, once he got comfortable. Wesley Snipes' performance as Blade, was a hard act to follow. That's why so many Blade fans didn't like him. They wanted Snipes. Well Snipes doesn't do TV. The show is free on WB .com. I watch it every couple of years, as a replacement for The Walking Dead on Sunday nights.

I completely agree.I thought as the series went on he got better and better

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.