Follow

Black Widow

Character » Black Widow appears in 3719 issues.

A former KGB agent, Natasha Alianovna Romanova, better known as Natasha Romanoff or Black Widow, was trained by the top-secret Soviet brainwashing and training program, the Red Room, to become the ultimate "Super-Spy". She defected from the Soviet Union to the US to join S.H.I.E.L.D. Subsequently, Black Widow proceeded to become a member of the Avengers and has been on the team on numerous occasions. She's a woman with an enigmatic past which very few are acquainted with.

Why Black Widow Should Get Her Own Marvel Movie

• 176 results
    queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#151  Edited By queenfrost_

If only it wasn't ScarJo :(

SuperDoahBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By SuperDoahBoy

@MutieLover & @tg1982: I agree, Blade was relatively unknown before his movies hit but you can't seriously compare him to a supporting character like Black Widow. "Z-list character" or not the vampire aspect is what made his movies interesting and that was before the whole Twilight and Underworld fueled vampire craze hit. There is nothing interesting about Black Widow that would warrant a solo movie cause like most have said already the chick can't even carry her own book. With Jeremy Renner doing The Bourne Legacy, the Nick Fury movie, and that movie Salt being almost identical to Black Widow story I don't see a point in a spy thriller starring Black Widow, especially a Marvel spy thriller.

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By AskaniSon295

How about a Black Widow & Daredevil movie?

Starleafgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#154  Edited By Starleafgirl

I agree, Black Widow deserves her own movie, but it'd sell better if they included Hawkeye, too (who, conversely, I don't think could support his own movie).

MutieLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By MutieLover

@SuperDoahBoy:

I beg to differ.

Black Widow is a superhero/spy...in the Marvel Universe. There are a million directions they could go with her. They can relate her to Soviet efforts to recreate the Super Soldier Program- there are tons of ways that they can get her out of Salt's imaginary shadow.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#156  Edited By tg1982

@SuperDoahBoy said:

@MutieLover & @tg1982: I agree, Blade was relatively unknown before his movies hit but you can't seriously compare him to a supporting character like Black Widow. "Z-list character" or not the vampire aspect is what made his movies interesting and that was before the whole Twilight and Underworld fueled vampire craze hit. There is nothing interesting about Black Widow that would warrant a solo movie cause like most have said already the chick can't even carry her own book. With Jeremy Renner doing The Bourne Legacy, the Nick Fury movie, and that movie Salt being almost identical to Black Widow story I don't see a point in a spy thriller starring Black Widow, especially a Marvel spy thriller.

The bold is what I'm responding to.

If the only reason is because she can't hold an ongoing then it's a pretty weak reason, since as stated before by me on another thread, and implied on this thread, Blade can't hold an ongoing comic, and Widow is kinda HOT (heh, pun) right now. As far as spy movies go, I think that's pretty weak as well, first of all these movies are already out or are coming out fairly soon, if and (hopefully) when a Black Widow movie comes out these movies will most likely already be on DVD, so it's not like they're all coming out at the same time.

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok.. first off the feminist agenda on this piece is so strong i could smell it before i even clicked the article lol..but i digress

1stly. Her cameo in IM2 wasnt subpar.. it was adequate.. she had a side role not a main or even secondary one (that went to Rourke/Whiplash) so i always thought she did alright..not stellar but she worked with the bones she was given

2ndly. I completely disagree on the "no romance" point u made.. it may not be the obvious kind but I do think it was kind of OBVIOUS that she actually had pretty deep feelings for Barton that go way beyond simple comradery.. highlighted by the Loki "interrogation scene".. &even tho she twisted the tears to her favour theres a hint of affection there.. proven when she finally gets Hawkeye back he asks what loki did to make her wana "go to war" the whole look on her face when she said she said "ive been compromised.." had MEANING.. it meant she has feelings for him.. (a real weakness in her profession&reputation btw) her sayin she needed to clear the ledger was basically both retribution for past sins &repaying the faith he showed in her

3rdly. Just because all of a sudden u or a whole buncha fickle wishy washy "fans" NOW think ScarlettWidow put in a good performance, (sumthin the girl with a predominantly indie backgrounds ALWAYS been capable of) DOESNT mean she can/should get a singular movie, for one the execs wont back it once they do the tracking figures it wont be viable anyway &script wise it would suck (Unless whedon was doin it, &he isnt)

I was one of the first if not THE first to note on this site that there should be a SHIELD movie with all the usual suspects Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Coulson (May he RIP) Hawkeye&BlackWidow etc.. with any number of cameos..&introducing HYDRA as the main enemy/plot device.. such a movie would give ScarlettWidow ample room to get her shine while giving her strong characters to bounce off as well as the double team factor of her &Barton which worked so well in The AA

THAT should be the new focus if any, not some bullshit flavour of the week vanity project that'll not only bank on her delicate shoulders for success but will probly ruin her if it flops, which it will if they dont get the right director..which they wont if they go for a solo Black Widow movie

Remeber now.. theres no "i" in S.H.I.E.L.D. ...well.... u get the idea

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#158  Edited By Aiden Cross

Meh, I felt BW was the weakest character.

THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raycarter: THISSSSS

very well put, i \ctually think Babs missed a beat there tbh.. coz it was my distinct impression that shes got hidden feelings for Barton..

plus the whole strong cold/calculating uber woman harbouring unrequited &chessapeak depth hidden feelings for tough plucky flawed/honourable but completely clueless hero figures is a sort of a Whedon trademark lol

THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SuperDoahBoy: THISSSSS

Avatar image for amaterasunohasu
    AmaterasuNoHasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#161  Edited By AmaterasuNoHasu

I'd definitely like to see it done, and I definitely think it could be. She has a rich history, and her character in the movie definitely left people with a few questions needing to be answered, her spot in the Avengers aside.

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#162  Edited By Cervantes

@Mercy_ said:

A. I WANT TO SEE THAT ANT-MAN MOVIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Dream cast is Fillion with Morena Baccarin as Janet.

This. Morena would be perfect as Wasp, and Nathan Fillion as the (Irredeemable?) Ant Man just makes sense...!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#163  Edited By Mercy_

@Cervantes said:

@Mercy_ said:

A. I WANT TO SEE THAT ANT-MAN MOVIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Dream cast is Fillion with Morena Baccarin as Janet.

This. Morena would be perfect as Wasp, and Nathan Fillion as the (Irredeemable?) Ant Man just makes sense...!

And they do have an amazing onscreen chemistry (Inara and Mal)

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
    @Mercy_ said:

@Cervantes said:

@Mercy_ said:

I like Fillion, but he'll never get the role.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Mercy_

@Illuminatus said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Cervantes said:

@Mercy_ said:

Nobody asked you >_<

What makes you say that, though?

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
    @Mercy_ said:

@Illuminatus said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Cervantes said:

@Mercy_ said:

Nobody asked you >_<

Bah, I started getting the mail that you and Cervantes were discussing it, so I'm allowed. :p 

Too old, for one. Not nearly enough star-power is another detrimental factor. Plus, fans were asking him to play the character and I'm fairly sure he respectfully declined, although that was back when he was campaigning for the role as Nathan Drake, I think.
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
    @Mercy_: Here's the video: 

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Mercy_

@Illuminatus said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Illuminatus said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Cervantes said:

@Mercy_ said:

Nobody asked you >_<

Bah, I started getting the mail that you and Cervantes were discussing it, so I'm allowed. :p Too old, for one. Not nearly enough star-power is another detrimental factor. Plus, fans were asking him to play the character and I'm fairly sure he respectfully declined, although that was back when he was campaigning for the role as Nathan Drake, I think.

Blegh, fine.

Here's a mindfck for you. Nathan Fillion is younger than Jeremy Renner (only by two or so months, but still).

Disagree with not having enough star power. He has a really solid following from Castle and a quite large following from his projects with Joss (Firefly particularly, but also Dr. Horrible), the following is especially large in the comic book community niche. Cobie Smulders doesn't have that much star power in comparison to the others, either.

Thanks for the video. Of course, that was about two years ago, so it's quite possible that things have changed. And we do know that Joss has a propensity for re-using his actors.

jnw93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#169  Edited By jnw93

I can see it being just like the Electra film :/

Avg2 or new x-men film would be better. But an X-men film that goes by earth 616

shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By shackle

@THEBlaqueBasterd said:

@raycarter: THISSSSS

very well put, i \ctually think Babs missed a beat there tbh.. coz it was my distinct impression that shes got hidden feelings for Barton..

plus the whole strong cold/calculating uber woman harbouring unrequited &chessapeak depth hidden feelings for tough plucky flawed/honourable but completely clueless hero figures is a sort of a Whedon trademark lol

And not one that needs to be repeated in an Avengers sequel. Whedon succeeded with the Avengers because he got away from the small screen dippy melodrama that he shoved down your throat in his Buffy/Angel days. He's got a better formula now, one that is shattering box office records. The Avengers was distinctly Whedon, but more importantly it was a BETTER Whedon. If he goes back to the trite, precious formula of his past, his sky-rocketing ride to the top of filmdom will only be surpassed by the speed at which he would crash and burn. Whedon has evolved; I suggest the hardcore Whedonites do the same.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
    @Mercy_ said:

Blegh, fine.

Here's a mindfck for you. Nathan Fillion is younger than Jeremy Renner (only by two or so months, but still).

Disagree with not having enough star power. He has a really solid following from Castle and a quite large following from his projects with Joss (Firefly particularly, but also Dr. Horrible), the following is especially large in the comic book community niche. Cobie Smulders doesn't have that much star power in comparison to the others, either.

Thanks for the video. Of course, that was about two years ago, so it's quite possible that things have changed. And we do know that Joss has a propensity for re-using his actors.

Yes, but Renner plays completely different roles from Fillion, and Hawkeye wasn't really a central character to The Avengers.  

Colbie Smulders had like 20-25 minutes of total on-screen time tops. She wasn't the star of the film, and I can't even recall seeing her on any of the posters.  

Back in '06 or '07, Jon Favreau talked about how Marvel chose actors that were right for the roll, instead of choosing characters for a certain actor to play. I'm not so sure if that's how things work over there now. I think an Ant-Man film would be interesting, and Fillion wouldn't hurt, but I just don't see anyone over at Marvel going, "Umm...how about that guy from Firefly and Slither?"
    Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#172  Edited By Cervantes

@Mercy_ said:

@Illuminatus said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Illuminatus said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Cervantes said:

@Mercy_ said:

Nobody asked you >_<

Bah, I started getting the mail that you and Cervantes were discussing it, so I'm allowed. :p Too old, for one. Not nearly enough star-power is another detrimental factor. Plus, fans were asking him to play the character and I'm fairly sure he respectfully declined, although that was back when he was campaigning for the role as Nathan Drake, I think.

Blegh, fine.

I still firmly agree with you, Mercy_, Fillion is an inspired choice. Asking an actor on video whether they want to play a role is like asking a senator or congressman whether they want their party's presidential nominee to pick them as their vice president: they'll say no a thousand times politely because if they say yes once and aren't asked they look snubbed. What I get from the video -- which, good going finding that Illum -- is Nathan being his charming, self-deprecating self; Greatest American Hero, indeed, funny guy...

You're double right because Castle is such a clever show. It relies on comedic timing in their back and forth dialogue over every crime. It would be great to see Dr. Hank Pym (is this your choice? I assume not the Irredeemable Ant Man...) having genuine onscreen chemistry with his wife and also sounding believably intelligent enough to be a genius. Jessica Alba is many fine things, but as Sue Storm? Sorry, she didn't sound like someone who could discuss quantum mechanics with her husband.

So he has name recognition, but fortunately not so much that a studio might balk at his price tag. There is that one director who really badly wants to make an Ant Man movie, anyone who's seen Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog knows "Captain Hammer" can pull off comedy all by his lonesome, Joss Whedon is prolly a lock to make the next Avengers movie and as you and I know he loves to bring back actors he knows got swing... Plus, shrinking effects are also somewhat economical (big sets, big props, and far better CGI since Honey, I Shrunk...), and people enjoy movies from that perspective because then the everyday becomes dangerous.

Really good idea, Mercy_! I had been wondering who they'd add to the team for the next flick (I'd been thinking Carol Danvers as Miss Marvel), but this is the best idea I've heard! Plus, imagine Morena with wings! She has that calm intellect that she showed in 'V' that will make her believably intelligent enough for the Wasp, and she will no doubt change her uniform three times a movie, just like in the comics :P

Whoa, now I'm going to be sad if it doesn't happen! Because I just remembered Ultimate Avengers, the animated movie, with Hank Pym and the Wasp, and watching Pym go Giant to take down the Hulk... Man, it would be great to have him on the team!!

I think I'm gonna blog on this... :)

lenaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By lenaga

@The Lobster : there will be a SHIELD movie, it will be called Nick Fury, look it up on IMDB! :)

Masterpiece1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Masterpiece1

She'll never get her own movie, but i believe that she will be on CA 2

Avatar image for renatasvitalkova
    renatasvitalkova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first thought what happened in Budapest. I thought of that. : D

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

she has a pretty big following and is a great character. She's one of my favorite MCU characters so id love to see her get a movie, and Scarjo has pretty much showed that a Black Widow movie would do great in the box office. I think she'd be much more well received than ant man and Marvel needs to try and diversify a lot more.

THORSON2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in my opinion she is the weakest link of the MCU.

She shouldn't even be in the main roster. Plus not a fan of the actress, preferred someone with more of an accent and way more hard core. MCU Widow is too girly.

There are many female characters that deserve a movie before her. I feel she is too over strengthened in the MCU. She can take on aliens and killer robots without managing a scratch.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.