Follow

Black Widow

Character » Black Widow appears in 3722 issues.

A former KGB agent, Natasha Alianovna Romanova, better known as Natasha Romanoff or Black Widow, was trained by the top-secret Soviet brainwashing and training program, the Red Room, to become the ultimate "Super-Spy". She defected from the Soviet Union to the US to join S.H.I.E.L.D. Subsequently, Black Widow proceeded to become a member of the Avengers and has been on the team on numerous occasions. She's a woman with an enigmatic past which very few are acquainted with.

Why Black Widow Should Get Her Own Marvel Movie

• 176 results
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#51  Edited By Mercy_

@Illuminatus said:

it'll make $300 million easily

You're craaazy :3

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
    @Mercy_ said:

@Illuminatus said:

She said, while researching Dr. Strange rumors.
    ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ThanosIsMad

A Black Widow movie would be a lot like Haywire, but with supervillains.

Either way, I'm game for it. I've always liked Widow.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Mercy_

@Illuminatus said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Illuminatus said:

She said, while researching Dr. Strange rumors.

Nuh uhhhhhhhhh

Wolverine0628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By Wolverine0628

If they portrayed Black Widow like they did in the Avengers, then I would LOVE to see her in her own movie. I would also like to see Hawkeye in this movie, partly because I really want to know what happened in Budapest.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I think we can learn a lot more about Black Widow's past. I think that could perfectly be told in her own movie

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57  Edited By Zeeguy91

@jmood88 said:

@The Stegman
    If she gets a movie before Wonder Woman, I'mma choke someone.
    Blame the people at DC who made such a stupid and sexist character.

Stupid? Sexist? Then why has she been able to sustain her own series for years while Spider-Woman and Black Widow can't support their own?

A Wonder Woman movie would be incredible epic. Greek myth meets modern world. I would so be down for that. The only problem is that DC (or WB really) seems to be dragging their feet in the movie department. If Man of Steel ends up being good, then I seriously think DC should invest in something like Wonder Woman. Oh, and THE FLASH, PLEASE!!!!!

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I'd for one love to see it.

Tyrannotaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Tyrannotaur

Nice article. I agree. I could see a "Agents of SHIELD" movie. Show the backstory of Hawkeye, Black Widow and others from Shield. Maybe use Taskmaster or some other shield defector as the bad guy. Would also be cool if it lead up to Avengers 2 in someway.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By AuthenticM

@Bestostero said:

Black Widow, yes. Scarlet Johansson, no.

GTFO.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By csl316

I'd like to see it, but I'd want Whedon doing it. His strength has always been female characters so he'd be perfect for it. Even if it's something smaller scale between this and Avengers 2.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By chalkshark

They already did a Black Widow movie. It was called Salt. Marvel Studios would need to abandon all the Soviet backstory from the Black Widow's history for fear of being considered too derivative. I realize the Black Widow laid claim to those ideas first, but Jolie's potential franchise character beat her to the big screen, and stole all her best moves & motifs.

Best option is to move forward with the character. Johannson may be problematic. There are few actresses that can anchor a big film. Johannson is not one of them. The Avengers film though is a massive success, and the Black Widow's profile has never been higher. If they're going to do it, it has to be now.

The one thing they would probably need to do is put the emphasis on "superhero" over "spy". Again, Salt has already stolen the Black Widow's milieu. The film can't just be an espionage thriller. It has to be bigger. More over the top. As a character, she should occupy the space in between Captain America & Iron Man. Her adventure should contain elements of super science, and span the globe. Her adversary should probably have an origin steeped in nationalism. It wouldn't hurt if said villain was played by an "A" list actor/actress. Johannson is going to need some help with the heavy lifting. With the right creative team, any film can work.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By BatteredArmor

@The Stegman said:

If she gets a movie before Wonder Woman, I'mma choke someone.

this

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By RainEffect

Black Widow and Winter Soldier.

<3333

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By frozenedge2

Have a SHIELD movie with Widow, Hawkeye, Fury and other SHIELD agents but like others said maybe tie-in to one of the other Marvel movies to keep everything connected.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#66  Edited By Ganthetsward20

I really loved the black widow in the avengers movie. She was a good charchter and while not a "heavy hitter" because she doesnt have powers I feel she could have a movie based around her but I feel even with all the neat gadgets and stuff that someone like her can get access too she would need one or two heroes to keep me in the "this is a marvel comic" mindset otherwise i think it would be to close to something like alieas or gi joe. Which can be good movies but I will want the same level of awesome as the Avengers movie had. Maybe they could have team up with hawkeye or even daredevil? Or go after AIM and stop MODOK?

1fearless1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By 1fearless1

NO BW movie. She's nothing special. It would BOMB!!

harrymcback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By harrymcback

It's not about whether people will come out to see a Black Widow movie or if Scarlet Johannson can headline a movie. It's about having the right story with the right director and producers to make it happen. If Joss Whedon were to tackle one individual movie in the Avengers Movie-verse I hope it will be Black Widow. Whedon has proven on more than one occasion that can write and director strong female characters better than most in the business. Why is this? He doesn't apply the normal Hollywood like stereotypes to his female characters. He allows them to be human first and a hero second. His work features strong and realistic female leads with characteristics any man or woman would be proud to have in a daughter.

I don't want to see a story where Hawkeye saves Black Widow, that's not the Black Widow we see in the Avengers. I want to see a movie where she saves Hawkeye and Nick Fury. Where they serve as the bookends to her story. I think this may also present an opportunity to have limited flashbacks to tell the Budapest story.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Mercy_
    @RainEffect

Black Widow and Winter Soldier.

<3333

Rainyyyyyyy
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

She's looking food for 84 years old I say! Seriously though I'm all on board for Romanoff having her own movie OR even being part of a larger SHIELD flick. If its a movie of her own, it should definitely be an origins movie of some kind. Just my opinion.

sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#71  Edited By sladewilson30

Hell yes, and it should introduse the characters Boris Bulski(Titanium Man), and Omega Red

BlackWidowBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By BlackWidowBoy

Spoke on it before and i have to say that i'm pleasently suprised by Scarlet's performance. I didn't think she could do it but she proved me wrong. And I would love to see a Widow movie, but If it's just going to be a Widow movie then I still don't think I would want to see Scarlet alone. A SHIELD movie with Fury, Hawkeye, Agent 13, Dum Dum, Hill, hell maybe even War Machine or the Falcon would be cool. A super Tech Spy thriller Against Hydra or AIM and Strucker Hell a Fury/Black Widow movie would be awesome.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@Illuminatus said:

Black Widow will never get a solo film. Mark my words.

This.

mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By mavfan626

I hate the idea of Black Widow getting a movie, theres a ton of better character that deserve a movie and Black Widow ant one of them

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By moywar700

i'm a male and I like black widow the best. I would rather go see a movie of her than the other avengers.

Tchokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#76  Edited By Tchokes

There is one big IF for me to buy into a Black Widow movie:

Natasha is not a regular superhero. She is a heroine, but one built in a pretty mortal realm. She faces problems like torture, drugs, violence, betrayal, rape... even if you tone down a few things (mostly rape and drugs), a movie about the Black Widow would still feel either too serious for the rest of Mavel's MovieVerse or a comedy/spy movie in the league with Knight and Day.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By zackattack529

her character was REALLY awesome in the avengers...in iron man 2 i was like..hmm OK shes hot...but she didnt really have a standout character ..in this she proved she can actually have her own individual spotlight...id pay to go see her in her own movie! but i think it should be Hawkeye/Blackwidow in a movie together! not just seperate since they work better together their chemistry works..plus id like to know about how they met. i know they mentioned it in avengers but i wanna SEE it :)

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By AweSam

It would be like too many movies. She's not interesting enough to be unique.

rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By rogue_mar1e

It should be a Black Widow and Hawkeye movie.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Solh0und

I could see more of a mini-series for BW more than a movie.

To those that are ScarJo haters: I can probably bet they could've casted worst than her.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#81  Edited By doordoor123

Sorry Sara, she is always going to be a better secondary character. Never a main.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#82  Edited By DMC

A Black Widow movie would be cool, but I would hate for all the Marve Studios films between "Iron Man 3" and "Avengers 2" to focus on the established roster. Whether they face Thanos or not in the next film, we need 1 or 2 new characters get their first solo film. Hopefully Ant Man and Dr Strange pull through.

And for the record, Spider-Man and Wolverine should not be a part of the Avengers franchise.More classic Avengers need to be introduced to the mainstream audience.

The_Assassin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By The_Assassin_

@rogue_mar1e said:

This ^

fluffypigeons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By fluffypigeons

yeah!!!!!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#85  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Personally, I'd love to see her get more time in a S.H.I.E.L.D. movie (God I hope they can come up with a decent title for that one). I think in the right hands, it would be great to see a story with a heavy emphasis on giving the causal fans a better look at Fury, Barton, and Romanova.

Avatar image for capelesscrusader
    capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#86  Edited By capelesscrusader

@The Lobster : Taskmaster would make a terrific villain for a S.H.I.E.L.D. movie. It would let them create some awesome action, and Joss knows his way around fight choreography.

Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

@Bestostero: She was great as Widow

raycarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By raycarter

I am perfectly fine with Black Widow having her own movie. But I disagree with the notion that a romance will automatically demote a female character.

Case in point? Vesper Lynd, the Bond Girl who (in IGN's words) broke, and ergo made, James Bond. In her romance with him she came off as the intellectual equal to 007. Her shadow and legacy looms large in Quantum of Solace. In her case, the romance was not a crutch nor a stereotype; it cemented her as one of the most significant figures in 007 mythos, if not in the mind of 007 himself (he has to remain professional about it, of course).

I think it boils down to how well the romance is executed. If it's done well, I think it could actually help BOTH Black Widow and her partner (Hawkeye, Bucky etc). It all boils down to execution and careful handling of the situation, in my opinion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#89  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@capelesscrusader: Trying to deal with Taskmaster and his school for criminals as a sub-plot could prove very interesting. For example, they could be hired by whoever the primary villain would be.

Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

I say have her and Hawkeye be a team for Shield. Have the writer of Ghost Protocol write it and have Joss do some rewrites.

Replicant0658

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Replicant0658

@The Lobster : I totally agree, as interesting as the characters are (and I cannot stress enough how big of a Hawkeye fan I am!), Black Widow and Hawkeye would have to be a packaged deal, I just don't think the movie would be strong enough on their own. A S.H.I.E.L.D. movie would definitely be awesome, especially now that all the characters are gunna be doing their own things for their respective movies, the timing is perfect for it, I mean, what are Black Widow and Hawkeye doing during the events of Cap 2 or Iron Man 3? A Budapest prequel would definitely be cool to see, and seeing as how Taskmaster isn't a superhuman and has the ability to mimic anyone's fighting style, he would be the perfect villain for the movie, especially considering that'd probably be the only chance we'll ever get to see him on the big screen.

Renee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Renee

Angelina Jolie did Salt and that was really good, so this could work too.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By TAneT62

i dont know ant man and dc strange, who the hell are they? the public wont be interested in them.

black widow film wud be great. period.

DarthHavok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#94  Edited By DarthHavok

@darkrider: really like that idea would have her up front but they could start building on the winter soldier stuff for bucky him training her an all

Blizaga101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#95  Edited By Blizaga101

I wanna see BW meet up with Bucky, I can imagine a great action scene :D

Mattersuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Mattersuit

@The Lobster : Not MI:Ghost Protocol though lol.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#97  Edited By Hawkeye446

@rogue_mar1e said:

I would cry out of joy, please, yes. Then again, either/or, I love them both ^__^

Friskynesss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#98  Edited By Friskynesss

@Blizaga101: woah I agree that would be awesome, the Return of Bucky as Winter Soldier O.O

...I was disappointed when the after-credits scene of Captain America wasn't about Bucky :))

Croi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Croi

I wasn't really keeping an eye on her performance until I saw her huddled in the corner after fleeing from the Hulk, her voice breaking over the com to Fury. I was like "Damn... she's good."

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#100  Edited By The Mast

Black Widow is utterly amazing and her movie would be incredible when/if done right.

That wouldn't including having Scarlett Johansson. Her role basically could've been any random agent of the organisation. Nothing about her was Natasha. She's red-haired and hot. Ok, great. She was great in the movie, but she wasn't Natasha. All she did was reference that she's Russian. That does not a Black Widow make.

We deserve, and SHE deserves, someone who can nail the part like the others do. Not someone who gets paid the salary of a nation and can't even do an accent. Especially when she's alongside the likes of Mickey Rourke, who learned Russian AND the accent.

That's a big deal, to me. It's a big part of who she is. People are just clamouring over Black Widow because she's the first and only kick-ass chick in a superhero movie.

I understand big time leading ladies are hard to come by in comics. They don't get the promo they deserve or sell like they should, but this won't help matters. Scarlett isn't a good actress. She isn't a good Black Widow.

Natasha deserves much better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.