Follow

Black Panther

Character » Black Panther appears in 3339 issues.

T'Challa is the Black Panther, king of Wakanda, one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth. He is among the top intellects and martial artists of the world, a veteran Avenger, and a member of the Illuminati. Using his powers and abilities, he has pledged his fortune, powers, and life to the service of all mankind.

T'Challa Black Panther Plus (spoilers)

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@TDK_1997 said:

@White Mage said:

@TDK_1997 said:

This upgrade is cool and was delivered well by Hickman but I don't know about the future T'Challa has with it.

A much better...brighter future

Let's hope.

Now that he's no longer struggling to find himself, T'Challa and Ororo fans should both benefit greatly in the near future............as soon as AVX is over

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Umbraa

Agreed with Mage. It also might be a sigh of support for their union. Since Mr. Lisa went into depth over the struggles of them being written together in the same book...this move plays directly into that I think. Now there is no power-level gap..thus removing that problem for writers.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#103  Edited By dernman

Don't you think there might be a lot of resentment towards her for being from the same group that flooded Wakanda? I know it was Namor going rogue but I don't think a lot of Wakandan people would see it that way. 

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By NerdsFTW

So...he's basically "evolved?"

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Umbraa

@Nerd' I guess that's a way to put it. @Demman, who knows. But I keep thinking that she left them at some point. I honestly think some would resent her..that's human nature. The Royals? No, Shrui considers her a sister...Queen Mother considers a daughter. Remember, she saved T'challa and risked her life doing it. Plus, if she is with child...haha

Silver Zeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Silver Zeal

@jhazzroucher said:

@Dernman said:

Strength and Knowledge
    Strength and Knowledge
    The knowledge easy I believe they just pass on the knowledge and experiences gained through life. What we don't have a hint on is their strength he has gained entailes.

why can't The Panther God give him some powers for long range attacks?

Probably bcuz Bast trusts in BP/Tchalla's accumulated knowledge 2 mk 1 afterall BP/Tchalla created d energy daggers 4 both short & long range which shud still b part of BP/Tchalla's arsenal bcuz Savage

Oh...& with d combined speed of all d past BP's shudnt BP/Tchalla b @ least 55% as fast as Quiksilver?

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Silver Zeal said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Dernman said:

Strength and Knowledge
    Strength and Knowledge
    The knowledge easy I believe they just pass on the knowledge and experiences gained through life. What we don't have a hint on is their strength he has gained entailes.

why can't The Panther God give him some powers for long range attacks?

Probably bcuz Bast trusts in BP/Tchalla's accumulated knowledge 2 mk 1 afterall BP/Tchalla created d energy daggers 4 both short & long range which shud still b part of BP/Tchalla's arsenal bcuz Savage

Oh...& with d combined speed of all d past BP's shudnt BP/Tchalla b @ least 55% as fast as Quiksilver?

Buffy the vampire slayer also has all of the strength/abilities of slayers who came before her....I'm pretty sure the only power here that "stacks" is the knowledge.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@NerdsFTW said:

So...he's basically "evolved?"

I see it more as "Restored" + benefits

Silver Zeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Silver Zeal

@Skaddix said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Umbraa said:

Jazz, to me that would be " too much." Plus, with the Age of Ultron coming, it's possible that Azzari and the Next Avengers will show up. Their son has T'challa's powers and Storm energy manipulation. So, we are talking about a guy who is a super genius, one of the best fighters in MU and who now has upper-tier physical prowess, and senses that are super human. He's a beast, already without it. Also, it makes him a little different then Namor, Doom and Black Bolt I think. Namor has flight and is all powerful in/with water with upper-tier physical prowess, Black Bolt has his voice and flight, with upper-tier physical prowess. Doom has magic attacks, Technology, upper tier physical prowess, and flight, T'challa is the best fighter--in combat by far, Mysticism and Technology meshed-- and some unknown stuff.

I know but if gods give powers to whom they favor, they usually give them blast powers

No need for blast powers. Although greatly enhanced magic protection and telepathy immunity would be nice. Then have him use that Shadow Physics.

Now hw kool is dat...speaking abt telepathy, BP/Tchalla used 2 hv those bak in d day so perhaps dis time instead of being telepathic he is instead anti-telepathic.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#110  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I hope the AvX fight between BP and Storm is basically just him telling her he's prepared to take her down, then her being offended that he'd do that but also too arrogant to think he'd succeed, then her attacking him and getting countered instantly. The aftermath of that would be excellent. Granted, I'd also love to see what the gifts granted by Bast actually mean in a physical confrontation against someone who isn't a cosmic being, so a full-on battle would be fun too. I think he should win either way. :)

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Skaddix

Physical is not really going to tells us much against Storm. She is not a physical character. She is all energy manipulation. Although she is decent in H2H not anywhere close to T'Challa though. Still I am going to need a good reason for this fight.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Umbraa

Lowe says it's a treat. Another X-board Storm fan claims to know that they will divorce. Today it was confirmed that Bendis will indeed write the uncanny x-men Cast, which includes Storm! Axel seemed to hint that Scott doesn't die...but T'challa's good...:) and I agree with Skaddix. But if all X-board Storm fans care about is a divorce, that's cool with me...T'challa being a major part of the Meta plot and showing these new upgrades is enough for me...being written by Hickman is awesome. You really have to worry about Bendis. I love his solo books..Miles is awesome..but then again..Vision, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Echo, T'challa being exiled from the Avengers...like most of the classics. I would be praying that she goes with T'challa.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Umbraa said:

Lowe says it's a treat. Another X-board Storm fan claims to know that they will divorce. Today it was confirmed that Bendis will indeed write the uncanny x-men Cast, which includes Storm! Axel seemed to hint that Scott doesn't die...but T'challa's good...:) and I agree with Skaddix. But if all X-board Storm fans care about is a divorce, that's cool with me...T'challa being a major part of the Meta plot and showing these new upgrades is enough for me...being written by Hickman is awesome. You really have to worry about Bendis. I love his solo books..Miles is awesome..but then again..Vision, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Echo, T'challa being exiled from the Avengers...like most of the classics. I would be praying that she goes with T'challa.

I personally don't want a divorce. I want them to be written like people who balance each other.....the way they should have been written in the first place. That's why I'm happy he actually has powers now. And with Shuri being the Queen, T'Challa should have an easier time not being douchey toward Storm...........I need this couple to work, because I don't want her to go back to where she was...

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#114  Edited By Blood1991

@Umbraa said:

Bendis writing Storm -_- " I despise that man"

but we don't all hate the marriage it's why I refused to comment on that thread or any thread by that user. I didn't like Hickman's take on Storm, but he knocked Tchalla out of the park! Personally I would love a duo book for Storm and Black Panther by Yost who in my opinion is more than capable of doing both justice. Don't judge every fan by their loudest members. Alot of us are just watching and shaking our heads.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Blood1991: OMG................What if their children inherit his powerset as is?.........................Their daughters would be hella strong

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Blood1991

@White Mage said:

@Blood1991: OMG................What if their children inherit his powerset as is?.........................Their daughters would be hella strong

The knowledge of every king/queen before them, enhanced agility, durability, and trained by one of the greatest martial artist in the MU. They would be bad asses "and that is leaving out Storm's powers and mystical lineage"

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Blood1991 said:

@White Mage said:

The knowledge of every king/queen before them, enhanced agility, durability, and trained by one of the greatest martial artist in the MU. They would be bad asses "and that is leaving out Storm's powers and mystical lineage"

Gasp

What if all of this is a part of the "Your Children Will Have a Special Destiny" package?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Blood1991

@White Mage said:

@Blood1991 said:

@White Mage said:

Gasp

What if all of this is a part of the "Your Children Will Have a Special Destiny" package?

O_O

Marvel has it all figured out. They always have!

I demand a future storyline!

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Blood1991 said:

@White Mage said:

@Blood1991 said:

@White Mage said:

Gasp

O_O

A....fro....PUFFS

Since Hickman actually READ Priest's run, I'm thinking that there will actually be love between the two of them again.....Which is something I'm happy about.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Blood1991

@White Mage said:

@Blood1991 said:

@White Mage said:

@Blood1991 said:

@White Mage said:

Gasp

O_O

A....fro....PUFFS

Since Hickman actually READ Priest's run, I'm thinking that there will actually be love between the two of them again.....Which is something I'm happy about.

lol shut up about the puffs. I want to see a sucessful BP and Storm relationship because it CAN work. They just need the right writer and team to do them justice "both justice". I don't think you can play her as second to him because they have fanbases of their own outside of their union. If they are in a book they need to be equals.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Blood1991 said:

lol shut up about the puffs. I want to see a sucessful BP and Storm relationship because it CAN work. They just need the right writer and team to do them justice "both justice". I don't think you can play her as second to him because they have fanbases of their own outside of their union. If they are in a book they need to be equals.

LMAO

They are finally going to be the breakout powerhouse couple of Marvel......

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Blood1991

@White Mage: I hope so though I still hold Storm and Hawkeye as my ultimate fan couple, I accept that will never happen and since I like BP I want this to works for both of them.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Umbraa

Yeah, Brian Wood really has Storm's voice. Maybe she needs the same as T'challa? I think the Last arc was mainly about T'challa, because he needed it and because of his in Marvel Now. Sort of like See Wakanda and Die...which was T'challa's last story as regular Panther. Maybe Storm needs Wood? Does she need a reconfigure somewhere? Mage, agreed..this would make it easy for them to fight the same villain..outright.

Silver Zeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Silver Zeal

@Skaddix said:

Physical is not really going to tells us much against Storm. She is not a physical character. She is all energy manipulation. Although she is decent in H2H not anywhere close to T'Challa though. Still I am going to need a good reason for this fight.

Our/SZ thoughts exactly.

By White Mage:

Now dat wud b terrific, providing story progression & manintains continuity.

By Blood1991:

Actually it may b a perfect opportunity 2 explore Storm's mystical lineage as well.

By White Mage:

I personally don't want a divorce. I want them to be written like people who balance each other.....the way they should have been written in the first place. That's why I'm happy he actually has powers now. And with Shuri being the Queen, T'Challa should have an easier time not being douchey toward Storm...........I need this couple to work, because I don't want her to go back to where she was...

We also luv Tchalla & Storm 2gether as a married couple & in fvor of their relationship being developed 4ther.

By Umbraa:

Lowe says it's a treat. Another X-board Storm fan claims to know that they will divorce. Today it was confirmed that Bendis will indeed write the uncanny x-men Cast, which includes Storm! Axel seemed to hint that Scott doesn't die...but T'challa's good...:) and I agree with Skaddix. But if all X-board Storm fans care about is a divorce, that's cool with me...T'challa being a major part of the Meta plot and showing these new upgrades is enough for me...being written by Hickman is awesome. You really have to worry about Bendis. I love his solo books..Miles is awesome..but then again..Vision, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Echo, T'challa being exiled from the Avengers...like most of the classics. I would be praying that she goes with T'challa

Well, u r right...BP has been getting alot of showing recently & 'advancement' but now we/SZ r just concern wat Marvel has planned 4 BP post-Marvel NOW!.

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By NerdsFTW

@Dernman said:

Don't you think there might be a lot of resentment towards her for being from the same group that flooded Wakanda? I know it was Namor going rogue but I don't think a lot of Wakandan people would see it that way.

LOL.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#126  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Skaddix said:

By "physical" I meant a fight in the physical realm, more than just him outmaneuvering her mentally. Throwing energy around is still a physical thing. Look up the definition of physical.

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Skaddix

@Buckshot said:

@Skaddix said:

By "physical" I meant a fight in the physical realm, more than just him outmaneuvering her mentally. Throwing energy around is still a physical thing. Look up the definition of physical.

I was using a different definition.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Umbraa

Me too Zeal, but it's seems positive. The whole thread is something tied into what's after I think.

Mykhael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Mykhael

@White Mage:

If it's not power stacked and it only restores his ability, Hickman went through a lot of trouble to distgunish this current rank and power from his previous one.

My top reasons why this is an upgrade

1. T'Challa says he wants to be what he was "To be the Panther". Later, Bast responds "So if it is your hearts desire to be the champion of your people? I will make you the Panther again. You want to rule? Then sit on the golden throne--be a boy king--I give it to you"

This indicates that what he was and what Shuri is inferior to what she is offering.

She continues "But I have greater needs...If you are still a man to feared.

Notice "greater", she has greater needs so she needs more than preivous T'Challa powers.

Why say he has the strength of every Black Panther who ever lived if it means nothing? Why say it? Why write it?

If T'Challa is not given a phyiscal upgrade then this is the stupidist waste of words I've seen.

Bast continues the distinction "A king of Kings" "my champion" "my black panther"

It doesn't make a lot of sense to announce of these distinctions only mean "well, your still where you were" as I think that would leave a lot readers feeling cheated.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Umbraa

I'm Sure it's what it says...I agree with Mykheal. It's his style. This is no different then Captain Britain going from 1ton to 90 tons. It happened. I pointed out to Brevoort the real lack of black males with power house stats..the newest being Nick Jr. So this was to addressed that. It's also implied that he's basically immortal. Bast said when Shuri dies, you will rule her here...that might be addressed in Defenders.

moneyspider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By moneyspider1

@Umbraa Hmm...so if Shuri does die at some point, then who becomes the ruler of Wakanda, if T'Challa is now the ruler of Necropolis? Would T'Challa become the king of both Wakanda and Necropolis?

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Umbraa

Shuri isn't going to die. Part of the point is to free T'challa up, at the same time he's above Shuri. They are looking at diversity with her..Shuri gives a couple things...monarch (the onlymone), black female character, she wears power armor, she's a master martial artist. T'challa is King of Kings, Bast chosen son, and pretty much beyond Shuri, even as Queen.. The "ruler" of Wakanda is pretty trivial, we see how the Wakanda's view him, he's still head of state..he shares it with Shuri. She runs Wakanda, but he's pretty much like the top general, who also happens to be their gods chosen. this removes the excuse for writers to ever exclude him...this is just like Shuri being the ruling council, instead of the council, she rules and it doesn't destroy her.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Umbraa

More on that point, old age or death...she is going there if worthy. Bast gave him that. So no he would not be "King" of the people. He's beyond that..he king of the rulers and the people. Nothing really changed with his control over Wakanda, other then sharing rulership with Shuri. But he's still above her.

BMcKinnis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#134  Edited By BMcKinnis

I see it as Shuri being the Queen of your body but T'challa is the King of your soul. He's the eternal king. Side note: With T'challa's wisdom upgrade it'd be fun to see a chess match between him and Captain Marvel.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Umbraa

That's a great way to look at it. And Mr. Brevoort confirmed that it is indeed a upgrade and will see in in AvX and beyond! :)

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Hatutzeraze

I saw the Buffy comparisons, but I am surprised no one made any Hawkman comparisons. Calling on the talents/strengths etc. of his own previous incarnations was his schtick for a long time.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Umbraa

I don't think he calls on incarnations like that. I think it's similar to Dune. Rather then Buffy, Hawkeye, Phantom, etc. There are a lot of parallels between Leto II and T'challa sans the Worm transferation.

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By windcaster

Black Panther's bio really needs to updated. Is anyone up for the task?

moneyspider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By moneyspider1

Good question, Windcaster...(looks at Umbraa, then at Black Panther's bio, then back at Umbraa...)

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Skaddix

@Umbraa said:

I don't think he calls on incarnations like that. I think it's similar to Dune. Rather then Buffy, Hawkeye, Phantom, etc. There are a lot of parallels between Leto II and T'challa sans the Worm transferation.

Makes sense I remember an interview where Hickman said he was big Dune Fan.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Mykhael said:

@White Mage:

If it's not power stacked and it only restores his ability, Hickman went through a lot of trouble to distgunish this current rank and power from his previous one.

My top reasons why this is an upgrade

1. T'Challa says he wants to be what he was "To be the Panther". Later, Bast responds "So if it is your hearts desire to be the champion of your people? I will make you the Panther again. You want to rule? Then sit on the golden throne--be a boy king--I give it to you"

This indicates that what he was and what Shuri is inferior to what she is offering.

She continues "But I have greater needs...If you are still a man to feared.

Notice "greater", she has greater needs so she needs more than preivous T'Challa powers.

Why say he has the strength of every Black Panther who ever lived if it means nothing? Why say it? Why write it?

If T'Challa is not given a phyiscal upgrade then this is the stupidist waste of words I've seen.

Bast continues the distinction "A king of Kings" "my champion" "my black panther"

It doesn't make a lot of sense to announce of these distinctions only mean "well, your still where you were" as I think that would leave a lot readers feeling cheated.

I don't see how readers would feel cheated if his strength-levels were shown to be above Shuri's, yet below Spider-Man's. Him becoming superpowered again was necessary for his character development, so they made him superpowered. The fact that he already knows how to down Superhuman foes with his own tech, brainpower, fighting abilities + EVERY SINGLE Black Panther that has ever existed makes me believe that it would be hella hard for a reader to feel bamboozled, since that's a ridiculously bada$$ upgrade. However, since we won't officially know until we move forward in the future, I'm willing to simply wait this out.....though I do hope that I am actually right.

Mykhael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Mykhael

I would feel cheated because they played it up so much.

It would be like Bast saying "T'Challa I have something for you

A new title: King of Panther Kings. Great.

Great turmoil and trials that you need to be prepared for. Ready

The strength and knowledge of every Panther king ever. Awesome

"Is my power the same?" Yes

"What the hell Bast, I could've just been a regular King if nothing is going to be different! Why all the drama and build up only to deliver what I've had before?

Sooo, personally, I'd be disapointed, simply because they said strength, not strength of will, not strength of spirit, but strength and I take that to mean phyiscal.

So If the next writer doesn't follow up on this I think it will just be a wasted opportunity, hopefully we won't have to wait until the end of the year to see it.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By dernman

I wonder if it would have been better if he got a new name.

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Hatutzeraze

@Dernman said:

I wonder if it would have been better if he got a new name.

No way. He was the 1st black super-hero in comics. That name is HIS!

moneyspider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By moneyspider1

No, he does not need a new name, especially since he has been around for 46 years (four more years until the 50th anniversary of The Black Panther!!!!)

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Umbraa

Brevoort has said it's a upgrade. We will see it during Marvel Now. I don't see them showing his power set during AvX. It's in character for him to hide this new power level...plus they might want to show case it then. But yeah, it's a upgrade!

Mykhael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Mykhael
    Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Umbraa

No, I didn't see that. Thanks. It's a upgrade though. He's not going to be the same. "PIS" just got harder :)

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By dernman

How about a sightly altered look for BP then?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Blood1991

@Dernman said:

How about a sightly altered look for BP then?

I really like the purple accents he has in the Avengers cartoon, so I think incorporating some of that look would be cool. I'm not sure about a more drastic change, maybe some skulls since he is the king of the dead. Maybe make a skull the casp of his cape "if he will have one".

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.