Follow

Black Panther

Character » Black Panther appears in 3341 issues.

T'Challa is the Black Panther, king of Wakanda, one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth. He is among the top intellects and martial artists of the world, a veteran Avenger, and a member of the Illuminati. Using his powers and abilities, he has pledged his fortune, powers, and life to the service of all mankind.

Do people hate Black Panther?

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Redberry

I don't care for him at all. He's pretty irrelevant.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Umbraa

" T'challa has abandoned more than just the Black Panther identity - he's also discarded all of the high tech weaponry and gadgets that have come to be associated with it. In "Black Panther: The Man Without Fear," his main armaments will be his cunning, intellect and wealth of combat skills. "We decided going into this that he was not going to be able to use anything that he can't build or buy himself," Liss remarked. "He doesn't have access to his wealth either, as he's walked away from everything in his former life."--------------------------------------------------------------------------------"The other aspect of "Black Panther: The Man Without Fear" that Liss finds intriguing is the chance to drop T'Challa, the former king of the fictional African nation known as Wakanda, into the middle of the crime ridden wasteland that the Kitchen has become post "Shadowland." "We're taking somebody who has always been royalty - his father was a king and he's been a powered superhero and a monarch for a large portion of his life. We're stripping all of that away from him. He has no powers. He has no Wakandan tech. This series is about somebody trying to figure out what he's made of and who he is. He's coming to this environment, which is so dangerous and troubled, to test himself," Liss explained. "That's what I really loved about this project. It was an opportunity to rethink a long established and iconic character in very interesting way." ------David Liss---------why did they need to do all that for a "street" story when he was already " Street" ?.... -

mtrakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By mtrakos

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Mercy_ said:

I don't care about him enough to hate him.

he's a king from another far away land, married to a woman who controls the weather.

Im a chubby kid from a trailer park with a wife who only rains Sh*t on.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Umbraa said:
    No Vance you are wrong. You keep talking about who's "out of his league" and that's stupid! You are wrong because Marvel doesn't agree with YOU. You brought up Jungle action when you brought up Killmonger. I just pointed out that he fought a army alone. Next tbe supremacist where not street level! There zero indication that they were "spiderman" level. All the guys you mention are characters from the freaking 70's! Get real dude. Look at the article where Hickman himself said that stuff is a different era and Marvel isn't using it! You ignore Klaw...you keep ignoring the rogue MOST tied to him! Listen to yourself, he can beat both! He's beaten ironman! He has beast non-street levelers ... He's beat all the non-street characters I mentioned, and I will make sure this thread stays bumbed moving forward so everyone can see how wrong you are. Next Liss removed all his tech and powers...please don't make me post links. He's says it himself. He called him a force of nature. You keep ignoring his technology! Why? Your issues is the whole "out of your league" nonsense...he's beaten Ironman how many times? IM has Ghost, Boomerrang, spymaster amongst others as villains who are "street" it's time for you to stop now. lol
    -__-
    Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Umbraa

"Man-Ape,Killmonger,Venomm,Malice,Baron Macabre,King Cadaver,Lord Karnaj,Madame Slay,Wind Eagle" out of these Villians, how many of them besides Killmonger has he fought in last 3 runs Hudlin/Aaron, Maberry and Liss? I will wait. And how many are dead? Thanks. Lol

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Umbraa said:
    "Man-Ape,Killmonger,Venomm,Malice,Baron Macabre,King Cadaver,Lord Karnaj,Madame Slay,Wind Eagle" out of these Villians, how many of them besides Killmonger has he fought in last 3 runs Hudlin/Aaron, Maberry and Liss? I will wait. And how many are dead? Thanks. Lol
    Malice and Man-Ape both I believe appear in Hudlin's run.
    Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

I agree with Vance Astro when it comes to his events point. Events take over most of the attention and if a character is left out--heck, even if they're a minor/background character--then they are forgotten. This is one of the reasons why I feel events are destroying the comics industry.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Umbraa

Did he fight them? malice II was killed. malice I might have, but he didn't fight her. Man Ape was killed off by Hudlin who didn't like the character. my point is they are not even used beyond Killmonger.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Umbraa said:
    Did he fight them? malice II was killed. malice I might have, but he didn't fight her. Man Ape was killed off by Hudlin who didn't like the character. my point is they are not even used beyond Killmonger.
    I don't remember.Hudlin's run was a while ago and it was mostly tie-ins..
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Twentyfive

People would care more about T'Challa if Marvel would PUT OUT SOME PANTHER STORIES! He is as high caliber a character as Stark of Fantastic, yet they don't do anything with him.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Umbraa said:
     my point is they are not even used beyond Killmonger.
    That's irrelevant. I didn't mention those characters to suggest that they were reoccurring Black Panther villains. I mentioned them because it appeared you were acting as if Jungle Action and other earlier runs were like Priest's and Hudlin's run.Which they weren't. Black Panther was a street leveler more then, than ever..BUT he still is.
    Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Umbraa

the best thing about Liss run, is that the "street" crap is dead! I know for a fact that Liss and Rosemann saw the complaints. And then Hickman suddenly is dealing with him. twenty, Liss also said the same...he needs to be connected to the wider meta plot. Look at AvX now he suddenly stepping up each issue? Maybe they finally get the picture? Maybe not.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Umbraa said:

the best thing about Liss run, is that the "street" crap is dead! I know for a fact that Liss and Rosemann saw the complaints. And then Hickman suddenly is dealing with him. twenty, Liss also said the same...he needs to be connected to the wider meta plot. Look at AvX now he suddenly stepping up each issue? Maybe they finally get the picture? Maybe not.

Black Panther had a huge marriage arc with Storm, tie-ins to Civil War,Initiative,House of M,DoomWar,and Secret Invasion and his book was still lacking in sales.He needs more than that to generate interest.
    Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Umbraa

Well that's your opinion. We will have to agree to disagree here. But I will make sure I bring it back up with Marvel NOW stuff. You have not provided anything to refute anything said. Like Hickman said, disregarding that stuff and all those dead Villians who besides Killmonger will likey not return, he has not been Street. The last three runs were not really "street". He has high-technology that he carries on his person...He's really no different then Ironman...only he does not wear power armor 24/7...this is something Marvel is pushing. See the toons where they have said it, see AvX #6 and #7. Read Hickman comments. I mean Whiplash isn't exactly a powerhouse either Vance! Neither is Ghost, Boomerrang, Spymaster and a number of Ironman "street" foes that you claimed he didn't fight! Like Tony he also fights and defeats powerhouses! Which leads to whining about PIS because they want to place limitations on him that Marvel isn't and has not. And it now seems Marvel might have got the message after the "street" run. Magic and Tech mixed is not street.# MarvelNOW.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Umbraa

@Vance all those sold fine. Lol. You missed the point also. That they don't view him as Street, they don't think it's a correct fit. Read the quote I posted by Hickman. He says it clearly.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Umbraa said:
    Well that's your opinion. We will have to agree to disagree here. But I will make sure I bring it back up with Marvel NOW stuff. You have not provided anything to refute anything said. Like Hickman said, disregarding that stuff and all those dead Villians who besides Killmonger will likey not return, he has not been Street. The last three runs were not really "street". He has high-technology that he carries on his person...He's really no different then Ironman...only he does not wear power armor 24/7...this is something Marvel is pushing. See the toons where they have said it, see AvX #6 and #7. Read Hickman comments. I mean Whiplash isn't exactly a powerhouse either Vance! Neither is Ghost, Boomerrang, Spymaster and a number of Ironman "street" foes that you claimed he didn't fight! Like Tony he also fights and defeats powerhouses! Which leads to whining about PIS because they want to place limitations on him that Marvel isn't and has not. And it now seems Marvel might have got the message after the "street" run. Magic and Tech mixed is not street.# MarvelNOW.
    No, it's a fact. If you look at his sales which are on the internet for every month where he had a tie-in come out he was still doing poor numbers, when Moon Knight,Ghost Rider,or anyone else was doing those numbers they got cancelled. You're still on the street level thing. I'm not. I didn't say anything about it in my last response. It's obvious i'm not going to convince you and it's not really that important to me. Black Panther is street level whether you admit it or not. The part about sales is undeniable though.
    Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#117  Edited By Joygirl

Most BP hate lies in the hearts of Storm fans, I think. That and he's a poor man's Batman (I'm NOT being racist).

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Umbraa said:

@Vance all those sold fine.

Don't lie. All the books that sold as low as him got cancelled (Nova,She-Hulk,Ms.Marvel,Submariner,Ghost Rider,Heroes for Hire etc.) 
    Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#119  Edited By Blood1991

@Joygirl said:

Most BP hate lies in the hearts of Storm fans, I think. That and he's a poor man's Batman (I'm NOT being racist).

A handful hate BP because of that, but most only hate the marriage, and I think the perception that he is a poor man's Batman is what will keep him from getting a movie because everyone who sees the trailer will basically think the same thing. I don't think he is, in some ways I like him, but he is a failed idea Marvel gave him plenty of times to shine and he never caught on, he would do great as a mainstay Avenger, but falls short as a solo hero.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Blood1991 said:

@Joygirl said:

A handful hate BP because of that, but most only hate the marriage, and I think the perception that he is a poor man's Batman is what will keep him from getting a movie because everyone who sees the trailer will basically think the same thing. I don't think he is, in some ways I like him, but he is a failed idea Marvel gave him plenty of times to shine and he never caught on, he would do great as a mainstay Avenger, but falls short as a solo hero.

If the marriage hadn't been used a way to increase interest for Black Panther and there was actually some plan for it...it would have worked out better.
    Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Blood1991

@Vance Astro said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Joygirl said:

If the marriage hadn't been used a way to increase interest for Black Panther and there was actually some plan for it...it would have worked out better.

I've always felt they sacrificed her to try and make him a headlining character, if it had worked I think it would have benifited both of them, but it simply didn't. When it failed they threw her in the background, gave him one last go and when it didn't work they dusted Storm off and gave her a role again.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Blood1991 said:

I've always felt they sacrificed her to try and make him a headlining character, if it had worked I think it would have benifited both of them, but it simply didn't. When it failed they threw her in the background, gave him one last go and when it didn't work they dusted Storm off and gave her a role again.

The thing is they didn't have to sacrifice her. They could have went after the fame together and really showed readers that Marvel cares cares about black superheroes.
    Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Umbraa

Vance who talking sales? You. Hudlin run sold fine, from the tour, CW, Skrulls issues it was seeking just fine.the Killmonger arc (again proving my point) didn't ...Liss run didn't. See wakanda and die NYT best sellar and sold out for 2nd prints. But again..So what. That's besides the point. My point is that your premise and arguement is dying. "No More Street" ...then what Vance? I love how you are bring up sales when that has nothing to do with "street foes" but ok. Let add this, it proves my point.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Blood1991

@Vance Astro said:

@Blood1991 said:

The thing is they didn't have to sacrifice her. They could have went after the fame together and really showed readers that Marvel cares cares about black superheroes.

Exactly! They should have headlined together. They treated her as if she were Mera. She has her own fanbase, stories and history outside of anything he has done.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Umbraa

They should have had a title together. It was rumored that Dwayne Mcduffie might have took the title before his passing, after Doomwar. Brevoort mentioned that they did indeed talk about a shared headlined title at a retreat. After Axel became EIC that died, because they now had different editorial teams and the X offices wanted to use her. There is nothing stopping it from occurring now though.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Umbraa said:
    Vance who talking sales? You. Hudlin run sold fine, from the tour, CW, Skrulls issues it was seeking just fine.the Killmonger arc (again proving my point) didn't ...Liss run didn't. See wakanda and die NYT best sellar and sold out for 2nd prints. But again..So what. That's besides the point. My point is that your premise and arguement is dying. "No More Street" ...then what Vance? I love how you are bring up sales when that has nothing to do with "street foes" but ok. Let add this, it proves my point.
    You don't even READ my posts do you? 
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Umbraa said:
     Hudlin run sold fine, from the tour, CW, Skrulls issues it was seeking just fine.
    This is all still false no matter how many times you say it. 
    Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Umbraa

Can't post it because of browers support. But I will. It sold fine...until they removed him from the title.

Mykhael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Mykhael

I'm just saying this... most fans don't I don't think have a problem relateing to a king taking on "street level" villans as long as a it makes sense and during Priest's run it all made perfect sense. Panther has taken on Doom and other non-street level villians enough to be considered a major player.

But I just don't think fans are reading and saying "a King who fights crime? not for me".

Yes, there are other characters that have the same problem as BP but if his race isnt one major obstacle in peoples ablitly to relate, name another Black character who doesn't have the same struggles.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#130  Edited By beatboks1

@Vance Astro said:

@TheThe said:

If Wakanda is a bad thing, why characters like Aquaman are popular with tons of comics sales ?

He's and active and recognizable member of the Justice League. The Justice Friends cartoon and various other media outside of comics showed the world who Aquaman is. Even if you don't take the character serious, you know who he is. His sales increase was due to the DCU reboot\revamp though. I think alot of DC's characters saw a boost after that.

In addition to which whenever Aquaman's sales have been at their peak is when he is either not or less tied to Atlantis. His run under PAD had him having a lot of surface adventures, fighting villains on land, wehn Peter David left the ties to Atlantis returned and sales plummeted. In the 70's his run in Adventure did well and he had relenquished the throne and lived in a US city called New Venice ( I'm sure I don't have to tell you what that was like). His current runs is also very much in the surface world for the most.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Umbraa

Mykheal race is a huge issue. There is nothing wrong with Street, but it's clear that Liss run suffered because of it's premise. It was a good run, yet lots of core fans turned their backs. If you look at sales, the book sold better with non-"street" stories. Hickman comments ate based on Marvel looking at some issues and finally saying...ok yeah we didn't see that. The Marvel NOW Avenger is Global and Cosmic. T'challa main thing recently has been Technology and Magic mixed, like Doom....both Hicman and Fraction keep highlighting it. If you read the current reviews, he's been prasied in AvX. Like any character he has his detractors, though he a vocal minority who care so much and hate at the same time. To me things are looking up.

turg0n82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By turg0n82

he could be marvel's batman if handled properly

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Mykhael said:

I'm just saying this... most fans don't I don't think have a problem relateing to a king taking on "street level" villans as long as a it makes sense and during Priest's run it all made perfect sense. Panther has taken on Doom and other non-street level villians enough to be considered a major player.

When you say "most fans" do you mean fans of comics or fans of Black Panther? Of course Black Panther's fans have no problem with what he's doing..that's why they are fans. I think people who don't read Black Panther haven't been fully exposed to what about Black Panther is so special. Earlier one poster said, "He's a poorman's Batman". as a Black Panther fan, that's not how I would describe him but the perception is different between those who are already reading Black Panther and those who aren't.  

@Mykhael said:

Yes, there are other characters that have the same problem as BP but if his race isnt one major obstacle in peoples ablitly to relate, name another Black character who doesn't have the same struggles.

When it comes to whether people read Black Panther or become fans or not I don't think his race is a factor for the readers. I think it's only a factor for how the company chooses to sell them. As far as Marvel is concerned, minority characters and female characters seem like an after thought. Exposure is key. If a character isn't getting the attention from Marvel that other characters are getting, most people aren't going to read those books. That doesn't have anything to do with race, that's any character. Why do you think Moon Knight,Punisher,She-Hulk,Ghost Rider,Iron Fist,Namor,Silver Surfer,Hercules,Nova,Ms.Marvel have had multiple series that have all been cancelled? These are all fairly popular characters. Marvel has about 10 characters and 3 teams they focus on more than anything else. Anything outside of that seems to struggle. 

@Umbraa said:
    Mykheal race is a huge issue. There is nothing wrong with Street, but it's clear that Liss run suffered because of it's premise. It was a good run, yet lots of core fans turned their backs. If you look at sales, the book sold better with non-"street" stories. Hickman comments ate based on Marvel looking at some issues and finally saying...ok yeah we didn't see that. The Marvel NOW Avenger is Global and Cosmic. T'challa main thing recently has been Technology and Magic mixed, like Doom....both Hicman and Fraction keep highlighting it. If you read the current reviews, he's been prasied in AvX. Like any character he has his detractors, though he a vocal minority who care so much and hate at the same time. To me things are looking up.
    The book did sell better with "non-street level" stories but don't you think that as far as Liss' run was concerned, Black Panther fans took issue with that book basically suggesting that Black Panther is less important than Daredevil? Wouldn't it seem that's the statement they are making if the King of another country is guarding his post in Hell's Kitchen while he "finds himself"?
    oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By oraclefyre

I like him. I'm just not that hooked on the character though.

bamaboykmb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#135  Edited By bamaboykmb

i love black panther

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Umbraa

Vance, no it Did not sell better. Dude please look at the the real numbers....under Hudlin it sold the best, and for me his run was up and down..but the CW arc, the F4/Skrulls arc, See Wakanda and Die all sold every well and higher then anything during Liss run. Shuri's Run under Hudlin also sold better! He wrote up until issue # 6. Nearly all "street" stories and "street foes" the numbers dipped! And who you just wrote was false. I loved his run..but facts are facts and even Hickman AGREES!

Avatar image for iamlovewithin500
    Iamlovewithin500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still like him..I guess 

Still waiting on that divorce though...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Umbraa said:

Vance, no it Did not sell better. Dude please look at the the real numbers....under Hudlin it sold the best,

This is why I asked earlier if you even read my posts.Where did I say anything different? I said Black Panther sold better with "non-street level stories". I didn't point out and particular run in that sentence. Liss' run was mostly street level so OBVIOUSLY I wasn't saying his run sold better than Hudlin's or anyone else's.

@Umbraa

said:

and for me his run was up and down..but the CW arc, the F4/Skrulls arc, See Wakanda and Die all sold every well and higher then anything during Liss run.

I know this and never said the opposite. We established that Liss' run didn't sell. What I asked you is if you think playing a lesser role to Daredevil contributed to that.At this point you're just disagreeing with me for the sake of disagreeing.
    Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Umbraa

Fair enough, i missed that, Apologies. Still, I don't think it's was a lesser role. I love Matt, and he's a great character. But T'challa in my opinion is a different character, a opinion Marvel now seems to fully agree. He's A character who has never been written to his full potential to date. So the "brought down to badass" wasn't really a good idea for Marvel with him. It's happened before. The stories were good, just not a fit this character! Herc fans didn't feel his de-powering either for the most part. It just that he's not a Street Level Character! He's a "Science-Action-GuIle" Hero. He's the Dr. Doom if he was good guy! A "Secret City Science King" as coined by J. Hickman. Doom is a "Science King"! T'challa is a "Science King." plus, you never hear anyone call Reed Richards a "street character"...like T'challa his mind is his real power! Is Lex Luthor considered "Street"? And so to get him to MWF they had to remove all his perks to make him that...and that's been my point this entire debate. Matt is a different character, he's not a "Science Hero" or "Science King"...and to me levels don't matter...these fanboy-forum rules are totally ignored by writers...look at Brevoort twitter feed...there is an example about time travel and fans complaining about rules. Likewise, power levels don't matter..the Story comes first...so characters like BP and Ironman will have different types of foes as the story dictates...in the case of BP...he should not be in many Street Stories...his stories should be Global, Mystical and Cosmic. And we are seeing that now after the "total street" experiment that failed.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Umbraa said:

Still, I don't think it's was a lesser role. I love Matt, and he's a great character.

That's what I took from that series. I would think that if they were trying to establish Black Panther as an important solo hero they wouldn't have him taking the role of another character. I understand that when a hero as big as Daredevil is absent, he needs someone to take over his duties in Hell's Kitchen but that type of stuff should be reserved for a character that has a relationship with Daredevil but doesn't have an important role of their own.

@Umbraa

said:

He's A character who has never been written to his full potential to date. So the "brought down to badass" wasn't really a good idea for Marvel with him. It's happened before. 

That seems to be the case with alot of Marvel's characters nowadays. 

@Umbraa said:

Herc fans didn't feel his de-powering either for the most part. It just that he's not a Street Level Character! 

I don't think that's why Liss' Black Panther didn't sell. I just think it was poorly written.

@Umbraa said:

He's the Dr. Doom if he was good guy! A "Secret City Science King" as coined by J. Hickman. Doom is a "Science King"! T'challa is a "Science King." 

Don't you think that's a problem? As I cited before, one poster suggested that Black Panther was a "Poorman's Batman". Wouldn't you think if T'challa was too much like someone else that people who aren't already fans and haven't been following the character would decline reading a book based on him for that reason? Doesn't Iron Man already provide that technology/science based hero?  I think War Machine also has this problem. He's wearing armor like Iron Man but what makes him so special. What about him makes you want to read his book when Iron Man provides the same thing he does but better? Know what I mean?

@Umbraa said:

plus, you never hear anyone call Reed Richards a "street character"..

Because Reed isn't a solo hero. Most of what he does is FF related. 

@Umbraa said:

...like T'challa his mind is his real power! Is Lex Luthor considered "Street"? 

No, Because his main enemy is one of the most powerful beings on DC Earth.

@Umbraa said:

And so to get him to MWF they had to remove all his perks to make him that...and that's been my point this entire debate. 

They didn't HAVE TO remove anything for Black Panther to take Daredevil's role. If that was the case then Spider-Man wouldn't be street level (which he is), and he and Daredevil even share villains. Despite being superhuman and having the intellect to create technology he still takes down common criminals,mob bosses,muggers etc. His main enemies are still low level superhumans just like every other street leveler.

@Umbraa said:

And we are seeing that now after the "total street" experiment that failed.

There were more things wrong with that book than the fact Black Panther was playing a street level role (seeing as how he's a street leveler).
    Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Umbraa

Every thing you just wrote is based on what? They gave him a book and tried the "street" thing. They wanted to try something. And no, he could not take the role without taking away EVERYTHING...that's why they did it Vance. T'challa and Spiderman are not the same either, but I would argue that Pete is also a science hero under Slott and he could also fight in any miIieu! That's what writers see as "street"..not the characters themselves. I already proved you shoddy on that! We have seen him as "street" and there is no real threat. It's like the Ironman film where he fought the terrorist. Does that make Tony "street"? During the Client he terrified and terrorized the new lot area. Again, he doesn't fit in your box. One of the most prolific writers at Marvel simple does not agree with the premise of your arguement.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Umbraa

Let's see, there are a lot of double standards you are applying. It doesn't matter if you are on a team or not! Street is Street, right? And T'challa has been on plenty teams. Just because you have one Science hero that does not mean you can't have others. What sort of logic is this? So basically they need to get rid of Reed, Pym and other Science heroes...or you can accept that they are all different.Maybe there should be only one character that could fly, or fight also! C'mon. Stark wears a weapon---a highly advanced weapons system. T'challa's body is his weapon [highly advanced martial arts skill and enhanced prowess] rather then power armor. However, his v-mesh habit is still highly advanced and formidable! His energy daggers are not "street" weapons, the K-card isn't street either..and he is also a gulie hero (which few are his peer) in combination with his *super* intellect you get something that is easily on par. He could easily take on Ironman foes like Iron Monger, Titianum-man, Fin-Fang-Foom (he took on Black Dragon, 2nd most powerful dragon of Kun'lun), Crimson Dynamo, etc. Again his arch-foe is Klaw, the man who killed his father. And if fighting Killmonger makes him "street" then I guess Ironman is "street" too...with Ghost, Boomerang, Spymaster...you get the picture.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Twentyfive

@Umbraa: Don't even worry about it, man. Some people like to hate on characters for no reason. Over at DC, we have Aquaman who is a ruler of a nation, yet he goes against some "street" villains, and does some "street" stuff. He does all that stuff, yet he is more interesting than the Panther somehow. He is a Monarch, which could restrict the writing potential for his character, yet he is still what people would consider more interesting than the Panther. That is the logic of internet people, and it is a darn shame. Panther should be one of Marvel's biggest names like Iron Man and Thor, but the readership isn't interested enough in him for some of these stupid reasons. I don't know how someone who is on the same League as Reed Richards in terms of intellect, and the same League as Captain America in terms of combat prowess isn't one of Marvel's main draws. The fact that he is king of a country should not deter him from coming out with good stories.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Twentyfive said:

@Umbraa: Don't even worry about it, man. Some people like to hate on characters for no reason.

If this is in reference to me...I'm a Black Panther fan so I don't know what you're talking about.  

@Twentyfive said:

Over at DC, we have Aquaman who is a ruler of a nation, yet he goes against some "street" villains, and does some "street" stuff. 

Aquaman's villains match his powerset.He's not street level..Black Panther is.   

@Umbraa said:

Every thing you just wrote is based on what?

Facts.   

@Umbraa said:

And no, he could not take the role without taking away EVERYTHING...that's why they did it Vance.

Yes, he could.   

@Umbraa said:

I already proved you shoddy on that! 

No, you didn't.

@Umbraa said:

It's like the Ironman film where he fought the terrorist. Does that make Tony "street"? During the Client he terrified and terrorized the new lot area. Again, he doesn't fit in your box. One of the most prolific writers at Marvel simple does not agree with the premise of your arguement.

Let me try explaining street level for you once again. Black Panther is hard to place because he doesn't really have a rouge gallery, most characters in the Marvel Universe have a set of villains in which you can use to place them. Spider-Man's villains are MOSTLY low level superhumans or street level threats (Shocker,Doctor Octopus,Green Goblin,Mysterio,Kraven,Venom,Vulture etc.) so he is street level. He can do more on occasion but this "street level" is the level is regularly performs at. He's fought the Hulk,he's fought Iron Man,he's fought Namor,he's fought Silver Surfer but those instances don't often happen. Iron Man's villains are mostly high level threats. One that a street leveler MAY BE able to handle with some prep time depending on who it is but in a random encounter, most of Iron Man's villains would obliterate Black Panther. That's why he's street level and Iron Man isn't. Black Panther has the knowhow to create armor and to be able to make things to help him complete certain tasks but the use of that tech is situational. Iron Man is at the same level every time he puts on that armor.   

@Umbraa said:

It doesn't matter if you are on a team or not! Street is Street, right? 

It does matter if he's on a team because unlike members of the Avengers or Heroes for Hire or Defenders etc. Reed doesn't have solo duties. He doesn't have his own set of villains that are only a threat to him. When Reed fights someone it's usually a character that is capable of fighting the entire Fantastic Four and they are all on different levels.All F4's villains are characters that could fight whole teams and that Reed couldn't beat solo without preparation. 

@Umbraa said:

Just because you have one Science hero that does not mean you can't have others.

Never said that. 

@Umbraa said:

What sort of logic is this? So basically they need to get rid of Reed, Pym and other Science heroes...or you can accept that they are all different.

Reed and Pym are tied to their teams. So they don't fit my logic at all.Black Panther is more like Batman. Batman is super genius but he regularly performs under a level of where his genius could take him. Batman can fight extremely powerful characters with prep and creation of certain tech but he doesn't always have to deal with stuff like that, he mainly takes on street level threats. 

@Umbraa said:

His energy daggers are not "street" weapons, 

I guess that's why he's used them on street level villains, huh? 

@Umbraa said:

He could easily take on Ironman foes like Iron Monger, Titianum-man, Fin-Fang-Foom (he took on Black Dragon, 2nd most powerful dragon of Kun'lun), Crimson Dynamo, etc. Again his arch-foe is Klaw, the man who killed his father. And if fighting Killmonger makes him "street" then I guess Ironman is "street" too...with Ghost, Boomerang, Spymaster...you get the picture.

Right, but those instance would require prep time. The regular equipment that Black Panther is equipped with wouldn't be enough. Those characters would destroy him with no problem.Killmonger was created specifically to be a Black Panther villain. That's why I brought up Jungle Action before. There were villains in that series that were created specifically for Black Panther's rouge gallery. Killmonger is a street level threat. He's is also the only villain at this point that is unique to Black Panther. The Klaw isn't a Black Panther villain he was originally created as a villain for the F4 and Avengers. Doom isn't a Black Panther villain.Loki,Black Dragon,Magneto,Mephisto,Kraven these are characters that Black Panther has fought but they aren't his villains. Killmonger,Malice,Man-Ape,Nightshade,Achebe,Venomm,those are Black Panther's villains. Now if you want to argue that those villains aren't really used anymore aside from Killmonger, that's fine but remember that ALL the villains created specifically for Black Panther to face off with are street level.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Twentyfive said:

He is a Monarch, which could restrict the writing potential for his character, yet he is still what people would consider more interesting than the Panther. 

Aquaman has had better exposure than Black Panther. I don't think anyone actually makes that comparison between him and Black Panther as far as who is more interesting. It just seems that way because people are more likely to buy an Aquaman book, but DC did more to develop him as an A-list hero in their organization then just writing interesting stories.
    Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Umbraa

Vance, that's not what "street" is...that fanboy nonsense. Street Level is just what it means, at the Street level. For writers, it's a milieu! Lol. Again, you don't know more then the actually writers Vince! Hickman doesn't see him as "street"...accept it! And 25 agreed totally. I'll just agree to disagree and which AvX and F4 608 and the Marvel Now stuff and laugh.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Umbraa

Wow Vance really? Is it that hard to accept? NOOOOO Klaw IS very much a Black Panther villain guy. Lmao, Black Panther is originally a F4 character..and Klaw appeared AS HIS VILLAIN in F4 53! He killed his father! It's HIS arch enemy! He was Created FOR BLACK PANTHER..again he was NEVER MEANT TO BE STREET. T'challa debuted in F4 #52. Please debate with facts rather then opinion.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Umbraa said:

Vance, that's not what "street" is...that fanboy nonsense. 

That is what street level is. It doesn't mean you handle crimes on the "streets", it means you handle lower level threats.

@Umbraa said:

Again, you don't know more then the actually writers Vance!

Seeing as how we can find inconsistencies in writing, I would say I alot of us on this forum do.  

@Umbraa said:

Hickman doesn't see him as "street"...accept it! 

What Volume of Black Panther did he write, again? Oh he's never written Black Panther? That's odd. Somehow he's supposed to be the final authority on Black Panther yet he's never written his solo series? What are the odds? 

@Umbraa said:

NOOOOO Klaw IS very much a Black Panther villain guy. Lmao, Black Panther is originally a F4 character..and Klaw appeared AS HIS VILLAIN in F4 53! He killed his father! It's HIS arch enemy! He was Created FOR BLACK PANTHER..again he was NEVER MEANT TO BE STREET. T'challa debuted in F4 #52. Please debate with facts rather then opinion.

I actually didn't mean to place Klaw in the category of characters that aren't Black Panther villains. Mistakes happen. The fact that he is a Black Panther villain doesn't however refute the fact that he's street level.You also didn't address why most of the villains created for Black Panther are street level threats...Klaw included.
    telepathic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By telepathic666

I hate the people who write for his character that's all i gotta say.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Twentyfive

@Vance Astro: You have gone to lengths to prove to everyone here that you are a Panther fan.

But in all seriousness, I do believe that he is missing something. But to go out and say that he isn't interesting does not seem like a thing that a fan would say. Geoff Johns is going to have to write Aquaman forever, because we all know he going to be the same lame hero we all knew from pre-Flashpoint.

I'm just waiting for the eventual Hickman BP title (if he decides to write one).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.