Follow

Black Manta

Character » Black Manta appears in 651 issues.

A notorious pirate and assassin, Black Manta is one of the most ruthless and feared super villains on Earth, and Aquaman's mortal enemy.

Which Version do you prefer? [Young Justice vs New 52]

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SUNMAN

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SUNMAN

I think both versions are great, but they do have some distinct differences. Which one do you prefer and why?

No Caption Provided
    Aquaman #12
    Aquaman #12
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Earth-16
    Earth-16
    No Caption Provided
    Aquaman #7
    Aquaman #7
    Aquaman #7
    Aquaman #7
    Aquaman #7
    Aquaman #7
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

costume-wise: Young Justice

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SUNMAN

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Young Justice version almost gives me a Ra's Al Ghul sort of vibe. His organizaiton is very well organized with a lot of soldiers and some advanced tech. Manta's very methodical and his lair is a little more lavish.

Whereas New 52 version is more savage and brutal. And he's got that scare across this face that just makes him come off really gritty/hardcore. I mean the comic verison is smart too and has troops.

But I can't imagine him sitting down at a table and eating elegantly like the Young Justice version or showing any shred of compassion.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By BlackWind

I like both. If I was writing, I'd want comic Black Manta to care for Kaldur, just as the YJ version does. After all we saw what losing his father did to him. But when it is revealed that Kaldur is loyal to Aquaman, for whatever reason, Manta explodes with more hated than ever for Aquaman stealing the love of his son.

Appearace wise? I like YJ Manta. That armor's probably got poisoned harpoon launchers, mini rockers and who knows what else.

UPGRADE MANTA!!!!!

Mojo65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mojo65

@BlackWind said:

I like both. If I was writing, I'd want comic Black Manta to care for Kaldur, just as the YJ version does. After all we saw what losing his father did to him. But when it is revealed that Kaldur is loyal to Aquaman, for whatever reason, Manta explodes with more hated than ever for Aquaman stealing the love of his son.

Appearace wise? I like YJ Manta. That armor's probably got poisoned harpoon launchers, mini rockers and who knows what else.

UPGRADE MANTA!!!!!

Pretty much this, Comics Manta is more badass and scary but I also like the more human moments and professionalism of YJs Manta and the sort of power suit he has does make more sense and seems more modern.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By noj

Both are really cool characters but what Geoff Johns did with Black Manta was truly awesome. I'll have to go with New 52 Manta but like pretty much everyone here I prefer YJ Manta's costume.

etamogrey77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By etamogrey77

if Comic black manta got and upgraded suit like the yj one he'd be the coolset character under the sea

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By serpent222

So hard to choose. I love the personal touch in Young Justice, but I have to respect the ruthlessness of the New 52 one. I'd go as a character, YJ. As a Villain, new 52.

I voted new 52, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.