Follow

Black Cat

Character » Black Cat appears in 1398 issues.

Former cat burglar Felicia Hardy became a crime fighter when she became romantically attracted to and involved with Spider-Man. Felicia has the ability to instill "bad luck" around others - this comes in handy when fighting crime!

What Nick Lowe said about Black Cat's foreseeable future

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter

From the new Spider-Mandate posted by CBR - http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55705

Here's what Lowe says about Black Cat

---

CBR - Speaking of recent developments, the Black Cat continues to be building as one of the major Spider-Foes in recent memory. It's been a while since she went full-on villain. What will readers see from the character that they haven't seen before?

Lowe - They'll see a Black Cat that has lost everything. It's kind of like a villain "Born Again." "Daredevil: Born Again" is my favorite Marvel story ever. Kingpin takes everything that Matt Murdock has and had, and Matt has to build up from there. In a way, Superior [Spider-Man] did that in one fell swoop when he outed Felicia as the Black Cat and sent her to jail. She lost everything that she had, and now she's determined to build herself back up, but with a very different outlook than she had before. Like you mentioned, this is her in a much more villainous vein than she's ever been because she's seen a different side of the world. "Why am I trying so hard to be such a force for good? What's the point?" She's out to get what she thinks she deserves and what she wants. She's not going to let anyone stand in her way.

That's what makes her such an interesting villain at this point, because she's got her goals -- which we can understand, even if we don't agree with her methods for getting them -- and she's going to be a big part of the Marvel Universe as a villainess. You can already see her in "Hawkeye Vs. Deadpool" #0 just as a start.

CBR - Do you think there's potential for that character to go back to her more heroic side, or is she going to be a staple of the Spider-Man villains roster for quite some time to come?

For the foreseeable future, there's no way she's coming back. She's crossing lines and will continue to cross some lines that will push her into a direction that some fans won't like, but they're interesting. And, at the very least, fans will see more of her as a villain than they've seen of her as a grey-area love-interest! [Laughs].

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By darthfury78

All I will say that whenever I see the black cat, I will avoid any future appearance she'll make. So far, I have heard that readers are not liking the new Black Cat. If Marvel gets enough complaints made about the Black Cat role as a villain, then perhaps Marvel will reverse their status on Felicia back to her previous Anti-Hero persona...

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By youknowwhattodo

The difference between Daredevil: Born Again (which by the way, everyone should read) and what we're seeing with Felicia now is that Frank Miller's writing was so good that I really was emotionally invested as a reader with Matt Murdoch when he was at his lowest and it made me root for Matt to build himself up.

In this case, I feel very little sympathy for Felicia after the events of Superior Spider-Man so I could care less about this "character-building" arc that is being unleashed upon us. For me to buy Felicia turning to the dark side, I need a lot more justification. Now maybe things will change and the storytelling and character development will so good that I end up being invested in this transformation.

That being said, this will be temporary.

Avatar image for the_greatest_username
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess Marvel I going to run the character through the mud before she possibly gets a movie.

It's funny how Black Cat is being turned into a crime boss after Catwoman. Way to be original there... I love Black Cat, but her current events suck right now.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion, Slott should have left the Black Cat alone instead of turning her into an unlikable character. For the 6-part story arc, Madam Viper or Lady Deathstrike could have been used as the feature villain because the whole dynamic of the story would changed towards the capture of Silk. Felicia Hardy as a villain is not something that I want to read about as her dialog is just awful to read. Any publication that features her(as a villain) I will not waste my money on until Marvel restores her former status as a anti-hero, along with restoring her memories of Peter Parker as Spider-Man, who was Felicia's first real friend.

I guess Marvel I going to run the character through the mud before she possibly gets a movie.

It's funny how Black Cat is being turned into a crime boss after Catwoman. Way to be original there... I love Black Cat, but her current events suck right now.

And remember how Slott turned Alpha into an unlikable character. The fact that he actually made the Black Cat into another Alpha and release her unto the Marvel Universe will be met with a backlash from both readers and fans alike. Her path to villainy doesn't hold any weight with me because during Black Cat's encounter with Spock:

1. How come her bad luck powers was absent during their conflict?
    2. How was it that she got captured by the Cops if her bad luck powers would have gotten her out of there before they came?
    3. How is it that Felicia identity was outed when her identity is public knowledge?
    Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6  Edited By MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Well said. This news absolutely sucks.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooo...no ends in sex?...

Jmarshmallow

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooo...no ends in sex?...

Jmarshmallow

As long as Slott's in charge, Felicia will be a villain with Silk assuming her role as Spider-Man's partner.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By darthfury78

I personally do not think that the justification of Felicia as Villain is going to last very long. I think that fans will begin to ask as to why should Felicia be an established villain because of what Dr. Octopus did to her. I think that Slott made her into a villain as to ensure that Silk becomes the established role model for Spider-Man.

Felicia's new role is just like Cat Woman. How original is that?

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've come to the conclusion Marvel simply doesn't listen to the fans. They have their plans and just hope it will work out. Based on sales, no one seemed to care what happened to my favorite character as the sales were strong despite it. Since Marvel only looks at sales they conclude it must be okay.

Dusk_till_Dawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@darthfury78: Exactly what I was thinking. Always a sucker for the Cat but where they're going with her ... SUX!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.