Follow

Black Cat

Character » Black Cat appears in 1396 issues.

Former cat burglar Felicia Hardy became a crime fighter when she became romantically attracted to and involved with Spider-Man. Felicia has the ability to instill "bad luck" around others - this comes in handy when fighting crime!

Marvel Divas #1 Reviewed

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Marvel has a brilliant marketing scheme.  Most people do like the J. Scott Campbell artwork.  I know people have asked why they have him do covers rather than interiors.  I'm sure it's easier to whip out 22 covers versus 22 pages of continuous story.  Also spread that artwork over 22 books, you're likely to have better sales.  I've seen this referred to as "Sex In The City With Superheroes."  Is that a good selling point?  Who is this marketed to?  Did you read this?

Is this a concept that can work?  Do you want to see this side of the female characters?  What if we had a comic with "locker room" talk among the male superheroes?  Is this what female readers want?  Do you care enough about these characters to read this and continue reading the rest of the series?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

I smell another sit-com

magicpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By magicpower

It sounds like a boring read. That is just my opinion.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By iLLituracy

It was off and on for me. The writing's not bad, but it's cliche. I actually--despite most disliking it, enjoyed the art. The thing that bothered me most is that they're taking the most cliche things when it comes to series like this [like chivalrous--or over-chivalrous men and having commitment issues] and applying it to B-List superheroines that seem tossed together. A New Warrior, a ex-jewel thief, a Avenger and a Defender, they don't really seem to mesh together all that well, but I guess it works when the writer needs it to. One thing I did enjoy was that I felt--despite it being cliche--that it captured women well [at least from a male point of view]. Like that one scene where some of the Lady Liberators show up and Patsy finds them appalling and decides to ditch her own party, that was semi-enjoyable. When it comes to heroes, especially with Marvel, even though they excel at making different factions on different sides of the spectrum, they lack a mixture of people who don't like each other, IMO, and when two characters on the same side DO dislike one another, it's usually within a villain team and it's usually to a extreme.

All in all, it seems okay so far, it's not a bad concept, I don't think. It needs more depth and less clicheness.

Pheeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Pheeke

i heard about the issue but i didn't knew what it was about, now i'm not really interested anymore, and i'm a girl. if i wanted things like this i'll watch sex and the city, but i don't need it in my comics.

I loved the cover artwork but the inside art, not so much.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @G-Man said:
    " Is this what female readers want? "
    NO!

I love Firestar to bits, but I am absolutely TOO EMBARRASSED to even be seen picking this up.  The characterisation is dire.  They could have just made up some new characters, so fans would be less offended.  The art is disappointing, from the concept sketches I saw I thought it would be cute, but it's scrappy & rough all the way through.  And the cliffhanger ending... HOW?!  Pym created the suit to help Firestar control her powers AND fix her body.  So how has she ended up with cancer??

It was boring too.  The voodoo doll bit was funny, but not enough to warrant me actually paying money for this.  But the rest of it was just dull.  Now, I really like slice of life stuff that's characterisation heavy.  This wasn't characterisation based.  This was just a bunch of vacuous bimbos strutting around trying to feel sexy.  Who the hell cares?!

And to top it off... it doesn't fit in anywhere in regular continuity.  Emma Frost had mysteriously moved back to New York and was still wearing her skimpy outfit from 4 or 5 years ago.  Yet Firestar had retired.  And Brother Voodoo wasn't Sorcerer Supreme.  Is it too hard for an editorial team to ask for these minor changes to be made to bring it in line with the rest of the Marvel Universe.

I don't understand WHY this was made.  The non-comic reading girls I know would not touch this.  Some would possibly be tempted by a Wolverine title because they like the movies, but then they'd get lost in the decades of continuity.  Others like more independent titles like the Death series or Umbrella Chronicles.  But the shopping girlie girls... they wouldn't be seen DEAD in a comic shop!  So why the hell would they care about 'Sex in the City'?!  I've said it before & I'll say it again; this whole series is terribly misconceived.  I want to like it, but ended up hating it.  When the series has ended it might have a plot, but not enough to justify the cover price or the insult to my gender.
    Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Joe Venom

I think it would better if it focus on different Females (Divas) each issue, like Moonstone and Victoria Hand or Ms. Marvel (Carol) and Jessica Jones. I think would be interesting to see them interact with each other when they are not dealing with superhero business.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I really like it :]

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I would of a gave it a 4 out of 5, if it had art like the cover..

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
    "I would of a gave it a 4 out of 5, if it had art like the cover.."
    Yeah the cover looked great. And how many girl writers are there????

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @War Killer said:
    " @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
    "I would of a gave it a 4 out of 5, if it had art like the cover.."
    Yeah the cover looked great. And how many girl writers are there???? "
    LOL... if you wanted interior art by J Scott Campbell then you'd b e waiting till 2012 for the series ;)

As for women writers, off hand I recall Gail Simone, Devin Grayson, Louise Simonson, Jill Thompson (I believe she writers as well as draws).  I'm sure there's more, but I'm not a  very good encyclopaedia.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By sora_thekey

maybe this would be better if a woman wrote this...

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @sora_thekey said:
    " maybe this would be better if a woman wrote this... "
    That's just it, the gender of the creator should have nothing to do with it.  Think of all the good characterisation in the past.  Did you ever think 'wow, a guy wrote that?!' because I know I've never cared about the gender of the people who create comics... I think the whole concept is flawed.  I know this started as a desire to write a Sue Storm mini series.  I'd rather have read that.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @sora_thekey said:
    "maybe this would be better if a woman wrote this... "
    That was my thought as well
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pixelized
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @G-Man said:
    " Is this what female readers want? "
    NO!

I love Firestar to bits, but I am absolutely TOO EMBARRASSED to even be seen picking this up.  The characterisation is dire.  They could have just made up some new characters, so fans would be less offended.  The art is disappointing, from the concept sketches I saw I thought it would be cute, but it's scrappy & rough all the way through.  And the cliffhanger ending... HOW?!  Pym created the suit to help Firestar control her powers AND fix her body.  So how has she ended up with cancer??

It was boring too.  The voodoo doll bit was funny, but not enough to warrant me actually paying money for this.  But the rest of it was just dull.  Now, I really like slice of life stuff that's characterisation heavy.  This wasn't characterisation based.  This was just a bunch of vacuous bimbos strutting around trying to feel sexy.  Who the hell cares?!

And to top it off... it doesn't fit in anywhere in regular continuity.  Emma Frost had mysteriously moved back to New York and was still wearing her skimpy outfit from 4 or 5 years ago.  Yet Firestar had retired.  And Brother Voodoo wasn't Sorcerer Supreme.  Is it too hard for an editorial team to ask for these minor changes to be made to bring it in line with the rest of the Marvel Universe.

I don't understand WHY this was made.  The non-comic reading girls I know would not touch this.  Some would possibly be tempted by a Wolverine title because they like the movies, but then they'd get lost in the decades of continuity.  Others like more independent titles like the Death series or Umbrella Chronicles.  But the shopping girlie girls... they wouldn't be seen DEAD in a comic shop!  So why the hell would they care about 'Sex in the City'?!  I've said it before & I'll say it again; this whole series is terribly misconceived.  I want to like it, but ended up hating it.  When the series has ended it might have a plot, but not enough to justify the cover price or the insult to my gender.
    "
    Alan Heinberg, the guy that did the first volume of Young Avengers, wrote for Sex and the City, why didn't they just hire him????
    Avatar image for stormamazonphoenix
    StormAmazonPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I seen Storm in the preview so I have to get this.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @pixelized: I think Alan was too busy when he was writing Young Avengers.  I could be wrong but I think he's why we didn't get more YA back then.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pixelized
    @G-Man said:
    " @pixelized: I think Alan was too busy when he was writing Young Avengers.  I could be wrong but I think he's why we didn't get more YA back then. "
    That sounds about right. i just hated how the series seemed to drag on. I read the issue with the theme music to SatC playing in the background to kind of set the mood, and... it just never clicked for me. By the time Felicia's story about her beau came up i was done. 
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AngelFrost

I haven't read this, Wish I could but theres like, no comic stores in my area ... ): which sucks.

Anyway, I like the fact that they show what happens behind the scenes, out of the costumes etc .... And just like ordinary people with powers. But I don't know where I really stand on this one.

Although, the series would have been better with an off-continuity EmmaFrost as she is the biggest Marvel Diva.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I would take Gotham City Sirens over this anyday, by the way giving a voodoo doll as a gift doesn't usually work

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pixelized
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " I would take Gotham City Sirens over this anyday "
    but this and GCS are focused on two different things, so it's not really fair to compare them together.
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pixelized:
    true but again this is just my opinion on the matter, btw isn't Brother Voodoo like in his 60s and Monica like late 20s or early 30s?
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pixelized
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir: I understand it's your opinion but it's like comparing apples and walnuts; they have more differences than they do similarities, but anyway, regarding BV, idk.. could be, but he's quite fit if he is. 

And what was up with Felica's claws/nails, where'd those come from?
    KCsuperman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KCsuperman09

lol is that wonder man lol

Avatar image for the_crimson_nutcase
    The Crimson Nutcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant even watch the whole video...
    Anyone know why?

Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pixelized:
    I suppose so, as for Felicia's claws i guess it will either be explained later or the writer is playing fast and loose with continuity
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Media_Master

Sirens win over this one!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I am a huge Firestar fan and I was going to give this comic the benefit of the doubt. But after the review and checking it out at the shop. There is no way I would waste good money on this. This is one of those times Marvel is printing something to make money. You don't bring in new readers with a cheesie-miniseries, you bring them in with awesome art, great stories, and excellent character development. And it definately doesn't deserve to be priced at $3.99 that's another reason you won't get new readers. Why buy a book that has nothing to do with the main universe for that price when you can pick up Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, and Fantastic Four for $2.99.

passionfruits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29  Edited By passionfruits
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @sora_thekey said:
    " maybe this would be better if a woman wrote this... "
    That's just it, the gender of the creator should have nothing to do with it.  Think of all the good characterisation in the past.  Did you ever think 'wow, a guy wrote that?!' because I know I've never cared about the gender of the people who create comics... I think the whole concept is flawed.  I know this started as a desire to write a Sue Storm mini series.  I'd rather have read that.
    "
    I have to agree that the gender of the writer adds a negligible amount to the work of writing. I mean this is not preparing for pregnancy here, it is writing a comic about out of this world superheroes. It would be necessary to have a woman writer or consultant if the topic was truly about deep and real female issues. But we have to remember that these female superheroes are completely unreal. I mean the cover is pretty telling that a 38-10-36 woman rarely exists outside of comic books. If they want the premise to be real and revolving around female issues, then as awesome as he is, J. Scott Cambell should not have done the cover.
    I know I won't be picking up this comic because the wife will obviously not get past the bursting cover and I fear that many others won't be able to either for this type of book to succeed.
    Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dex

wait so theres no pillow fights......=(

The Messanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The Messanger

I don't like Sex and the City either!!

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By MrDirector786

From this review, it sounds boring.

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Nahero

that last joke was horrible

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34  Edited By DMC
    IDK  the book was okay I guess. Until comic readers are more open to slice-of-life comics a book like this could never survive as an ongoing. At least Marvel Divas is just a mini.

@xerox-kitty
    said:
     This wasn't characterisation based.  This was just a bunch of vacuous bimbos strutting around trying to feel sexy.
    And to top it off... it doesn't fit in anywhere in regular continuity.  Emma Frost had mysteriously moved back to New York and was still wearing her skimpy outfit from 4 or 5 years ago.  Yet Firestar had retired.  And Brother Voodoo wasn't Sorcerer Supreme.  Is it too hard for an editorial team to ask for these minor changes to be made to bring it in line with the rest of the Marvel Universe."
    Does any book fit completely into regular continuity? Any book can be a few steps ahead or behind "regular continuity". Dark Reign is not on the front cover of this book.
    Emma was invited to the party and the scene with Monica and Voodoo was obviously a flashback after Hurricane Katrina (post-K)

I thought the characterization was fine, at least for Felicia....most of the time. You're telling me Felicia doesn't go to clubs,spas and go speed dating? Many people her age speed date. It's pretty obvious Felicia's the ring leader when it comes to where they hang out, but the art exhibit might have been Patsy or Angelica's idea.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xerox_kitty

You honestly think that Felicia would lower herself to speed-dating?  She may as well log on to Match.Com next.  It is below her.  She wouldn't need to resort to dating services.  None of them would!

And sure, it could be set a few steps before or after an event.  But to have Emma Frost in New York when she hasn't lived there for the last few years is something else entirely.  Emma costume alone dates this to a few years before Firestar even retired.  This is simple continuity work that has been completely ignored by writer, artist & editors.

And as I've said before, I LOVE slice-of-life stories with characterisation.  This isn't slice-of-life, this is just trite.  Purposefully aiming at an audience that would have nothing to do with comics... and boring those who dared to try something different.
    Jamiracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jamiracles

I'd be curious to hear what Babs thinks of this series for her perspective of a female comic geek and if it clicked with her at all. It doesnt seem all that interesting in all honesty, though I always respect Marvel doing new things.

They should have called it "How Black Cat Got Her Groove Back"

Or maybe "How Brother Voodoo Got His Groove Back" Because i'd honestly like to know...

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Jamiracles said:
    " I'd be curious to hear what Babs thinks of this series for her perspective of a female comic geek and if it clicked with her at all. It doesnt seem all that interesting in all honesty, though I always respect Marvel doing new things.

They should have called it "How Black Cat Got Her Groove Back"

Or maybe "How Brother Voodoo Got His Groove Back" Because i'd honestly like to know... "
    I asked if she wanted to review it.  She passed.
    logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By logan48227

Since when did Felicia Hardy become Lady Deathstrike?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Like G-Man said,I really want to like this book.It's just not very good.I'm going to let this on to issue 5.If it doesn't pick up by then I'm done.I love all the Divas but this is lame.

KnightKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KnightKat

I was just complaining the other day about Marvels' lack of female driven titles, so when I saw Marvel Divas I had to give it a go.  What a disapointment.  In my opinion, it was very obvious that it had been written by a man, which wouldn't matter to me if it wasn't so obvious.  It just should have been better, not so cliche.  You want to write a modern day woman tale, then mix it up a little, do the characterization, but add depth for crying out loud!  Also, just because its a "womans' comic, doesnt mean there cant be any action!
    I'm stil giving DC the win for having better written female characters, consistently. 

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pixelized
    @Vance Astro said:
    " Like G-Man said,I really want to like this book.It's just not very good.I'm going to let this on to issue 5.If it doesn't pick up by then I'm done.I love all the Divas but this is lame. "
    isn't it only a 4 issue story?
    wynd_mar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wynd_mar

meh.

To answer the question as a female who read this title and a lover of SAtC, I didn't mind it nor hate it.

I was biased from page three because I already could point out two episodes from SAtC that were either referenced or based upon in the storyline. Half-way through I yelled in my apartment, "I want to throw this out of the window!!" It wasn't because of the stereotypes or pushing GIRL stuff or even WOMEN EMPOWERED stuff on to me but it was because I have already experienced characters in situations just like this--in SAtC. I have all the episodes and movie...Like others, why would I want to read it in comic form? I mean it's a good try on trying to relate or reaching out to possible female and male readers old and new, but even the non SAtC viewer could see alot of the plot and character types coming. Theres a Carrie, Miranda, Char and Samantha...hell maybe in the next one there were be a Stafford. Hmm, probably not many know whom I'm speaking of.  Anyways-- I think that for now that this title is in the poor handling of character direction department. But then again--it is only the first issue.

However, I will say I did like how the four females were not the A-lister comic heroines. If I have to agree with something "good" I'd go with the fact that the females in the book weren't high listers. I did like how Photon had something with DocVooDoo--some females IRL are like that. I also liked how they did show the leads going around doing things like normal people and their status weren't crammed down my throat to remind me who they were. Though there was blatant SAtC/female situations I would hate to hear about Emma's male problems, Scott or other-wise. Or what it would be like for Storm to live a normal life married to a king and I'll be damned if I have to read what is on Sue's mind. Honestly, that would have ruined it for me as a reader because it would have been the ultimate stereotypical thing to do. Let's take our high profile girls and hear them bitch and moan. Hmm...not something I'd care about as much about.

On the subject of a male writer vs. a female writer :  Just because a female didn't write this one doesn't mean a female wouldn't have made this more blatant or not. A writer is a WRITER. Doesn't matter what their gender is...Writers have the ability to tell stories, but it really comes down to choosing the appropriate writer. Jodi Picoult's Wonder Woman Love and War was poorly recieved and shes a hit female/romance writer. I don't think it's the gender of the writer that matters since Brian K. Vaughan is a hit writer/producer and writes for the whole spectrum of genders as does Gail Simone and others.

I am curious to see how this goes only because I had read so much negative and positive hype on this title -- every comic title is pitched on past ideas or products so theres always going to be the cloud hanging over it's first release.  Some readers both genders may have judged just the cover at first and I chose to fork up 4 bucks to look beyond it--why not? Try it before ya knock 'em, right?

Oh and I'll be damned to be embarssed by walking in some comic shop to buy something I might want to read -- female empowered/marketed or not.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FoxxFireArt

This always seems to catch my attention. Why is it J. Scott Campbell always seems to do only cover art, but never seems to do internal art. I always hate it when cover art is so much better then internal art.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    " This always seems to catch my attention. Why is it J. Scott Campbell always seems to do only cover art, but never seems to do internal art. I always hate it when cover art is so much batter then internal art. "
    Because he takes too long to create internal art, but is good for the occasional cover.  But I believe his Mary Jane series might be out this year... or next.

No Caption Provided

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @xerox-kitty: That's no real excuse. Those are covers. They should be sharper, but the artist should be the same.
    He used to do month comics in Gen13. His Danger Girl series I think was hurt my it's erratic release dates.

That is what I love about Fred Perry. He does all the art on his own comics and they are breathtaking. Check out Gold Digger. You won't regret it. If you go to the Antarctic Press' website. They have previews of many of their titles. Perry does all the writing, drawing, coloring, text, and effects.
    He also does his own animated movies. I'll PM you with a link to his youtube channel. Seems rude to post a link for another site on this site.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By xerox_kitty

I completely agree with you!!  He & Joe Madureira both became notoriously slow with their deadlines.  I genuinely don't see any real reason or excuse why they are so slow with their work.  And to be honest, JSC's work has degraded to the point where it looks like it took him 5 minutes to knock it out.  It's still pretty, but nowhere near as good as it used to be. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.