Follow

Bizarro

Character » Bizarro appears in 721 issues.

Bizarro is an imperfect duplicate of Superman. Everything Bizarro does is deliberately backwards or the opposite of normal.

Could Someone Explain Bizzaro's Powers to Me?

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello all. I recently came up with a concept for someone who had all of Bizarro's powers instead of Superman's, yet, I hit a bit of a snag...because some of those powers...confuse me to say the least.

Quoted from the wikipedia page I was looking at:

"Bizarro is depicted as having all the abilities of Superman, although in some incarnations several of these traits have been reversed, such as

• "freeze vision" instead of heat vision
    • "flame breath" instead of freeze breath
    • "vacuum breath" instead of super breath
    • "Bizarro telescopic vision" which allows Bizarro to see a "short distance behind his head" rather than a "long distance in front of his head"
    • "Bizarro microscopic vision" which makes objects "actually smaller to everyone" rather than merely "appear to be bigger to only the user"
    • "Bizarro X-ray vision" which allows Bizarro to "only see through lead" rather than the ability to "see through anything except lead"

Can someone explain to me the more...confounding ones? If you look at the list, you'll know which I'm talking about.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

@perezite: I'm not Bizarro expert so I'll just guess from what I read here.

Vacuum Breath: sucking in stuff

Telescopic vision: "he has eyes on the back of his head." he can see things behind him. but it's only a short distance

Microscopic vision: he can make other people see things smaller than what they really are

X-Ray vision: x-ray can't go through lead. however, Bizarro's x-rays can only see through lead walls/boxes, etc...his x-ray vision doesn't work through regular walls or something like that

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Perezite

@perezite: I'm not Bizarro expert so I'll just guess from what I read here.

Vacuum Breath: sucking in stuff

Telescopic vision: "he has eyes on the back of his head." he can see things behind him. but it's only a short distance

Microscopic vision: he can make other people see things smaller than what they really are

X-Ray vision: x-ray can't go through lead. however, Bizarro's x-rays can only see through lead walls/boxes, etc...his x-ray vision doesn't work through regular walls or something like that

So Supes blows and Bizarro sucks, huh? Why yes, that pun was intentional.

The thing that gets to me, I guess, is Bizarro Microscopic vision.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: haha i see what you did there!

Yeah he has some "bizarre" powers. It's because with Superman's microscopic vision, only he can see tiny things bigger than they actually are. It's the opposite with Bizarro. He can make other people see tiny things bigger than they actually are. Not sure how that power would be useful, though...

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Perezite

@perezite: haha i see what you did there!

Yeah he has some "bizarre" powers. It's because with Superman's microscopic vision, only he can see tiny things bigger than they actually are. It's the opposite with Bizarro. He can make other people see tiny things bigger than they actually are. Not sure how that power would be useful, though...

You mean SMALLER, right?

Also, how does that work?

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JonSmith

haha i see what you did there!

"Hey look at my fist heading towards your face! IT'S THE SIZE OF A MOUNTAIN! FEAR THE MOUNTAIN FIST!" If you're in a fight with someone, and they're trying to hit something they see as a lot bigger than it actually is, that's a major disadvantage. Same with trying to hit them: If they think your fist is the aforementioned size of a mountain, they're not going to dodge correctly, or they'll try to hit back (if they're strong enough) and only hit thin air, while you collide.

Also, making people see other peoples super sized germs would just be funny to watch.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: sorry I meant smaller. That makes more sense. He could make stuff look smaller so Superman would have a harder time finding something. The power is probably classified as psychic. Able to distort the vision through psychic powers. Probably change of the lenses in the eye. Sort of like special glasses to create a sort of tunnel vision, shrinking the vision scope

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith said:

@batmannflash said:

haha i see what you did there!

"Hey look at my fist heading towards your face! IT'S THE SIZE OF A MOUNTAIN! FEAR THE MOUNTAIN FIST!" If you're in a fight with someone, and they're trying to hit something they see as a lot bigger than it actually is, that's a major disadvantage. Same with trying to hit them: If they think your fist is the aforementioned size of a mountain, they're not going to dodge correctly, or they'll try to hit back (if they're strong enough) and only hit thin air, while you collide.

Also, making people see other peoples super sized germs would just be funny to watch.

It doesn't make things look BIGGGER, it makes them look SMALLER.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By batmannflash

@jonsmith: haha I was wrong. He makes other people see things smaller. But what you said also applies. Trouble with aiming and dodging

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: sorry I meant smaller. That makes more sense. He could make stuff look smaller so Superman would have a harder time finding something. The power is probably classified as psychic. Able to distort the vision through psychic powers. Probably change of the lenses in the eye. Sort of like special glasses to create a sort of tunnel vision, shrinking the vision scope

I'm...confused...

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By batmannflash

@perezite: don't think too much of it. Just know that you would probably see the computer you're on right now at microscopic size (meaning you won't even see it).

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bizzaro's powers are weird but Superman once said that Bizzaro was more powerful than him, Bizzaro only looses because he's stupid.

Avatar image for majesticsupermiraclehyperionth
    MajesticSuperMiracleHyperionTheTitanGladiator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hate public forums and am no longer here.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RustyRoy

@majesticsupermiraclehyperionth: I'm not saying that, Superman was once mind-swapped with Bizzaro and they had to fight each other and Superman said that Bizzaro was more powerful than him, the only reason he beats Bizzaro is because Bizzaro is dumb.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite:

There's so many things about Bizarro that makes no sense whatsoever.

Here's what I know of Bizarro, from his most "recent" incarnations. There are actually two types of Bizarros. The human/kryptonian hybrid clone and the full kryptonian clone.

In the human/kryptonian hybrid, the Bizarro maintains most of Superman powers. The main problem being that because of the immediate genetic breakdown, not only its powers becomes more unstable but also ultimately the Bizarro dies.

Then there's the full kryptonian clone. And even here, most versions have exactly the same powers of Superman, although the power levels may vary depending on the rate of genetic stability.

The only Bizarro's that I know that had Superman powers working differently were the ones from Superman Red Son and the one created by the Joker when he stole Mr. Mister Mxyzptlk powers.

The first one, was created by Lex Luthor, that had tried many times to create an USA version of the Soviet Superman, but failed everytime until he mixed kryptonite in the liquid used in the gestation chamber, and by doing so, he was able to create a scarred version of Superman. That had super-strength/speed/senses, invulnerability and could fly. But on the other hand his energetic powers were different, he had his Heat and X-Ray vision combined, which produced a kind of radioactive vision that could actually penetrate anything, including led, and people would start to burn from the inside out. It was like getting a major dose of lethal radiation. Not only that, but that Bizarro mind was completely damaged, he could not think clearly and had some trouble with some latent memories he inherited from Superman genetic material.

The one created by the Joker, he was the most known Bizarro so far, because since the Joker created him using Mister Mxyzptlk 5th dimensional powers, he suffered no genetic breakdown. And either because of the Joker twisted mind, didn't have full control of those 5th dimensional powers or simply didn't fully comprehended kryptonian dna, the copy from Superman he created was twisted in some ways. That Bizarro still had super-strength/speed/senses, invulnerability and flight. But instead of heat vision he had freeze vision, instead of freeze breath he had flame breath, his X-Ray vision also worked differently, instead of seeing through everything he would trap what he saw in a solid rocklike figure of the person he was seeing. Green-K instead of weakning him made him stronger, and Blue-K that apparently had no effect on normal Superman, had the same poisining effect that green-K had on Superman. And under the sunlight of a blue star, he could create and manipulate both inorganic and organic matter. He was even able to create an entire cube like planet, a planet of Bizarros.

Most recently Luthor two known experiences to try to create a Superman of his own, have both failed. The first experience he used Superman dna and tried to graft it directly into human dna, which lead to the creation of a mutated being, that although possessing some of Superman powers, he had one major problem, excess exposere to sunlight would overload his cells with energy and he exploded. The second experiment was a more calculated and error learned, version. Luthor instead of trying to immediately create a clone of Superman he put the genetic material into a slow development process, that in theory would result in a perfect clone if given the five years necessary. But because of the events on Forever Evil, Luthor was forced to awaken the clone much to early. And although it was clear that its mind was far from perfect, his powers on the other hand were very much like those of Superman. Sure the Bizarro hadn't the control Superman had, nor was he has powerful has Superman, but seeing he was an incomplete clone, it was to be expected.

So has you see most versions of Bizarro's have the same powers has Superman. Has for the one's with the powers working in an almost reversed way, it was explained has due to either the different failed methods of cloning and Joker's version (the one that lasted the most) that one was created by magic. So one could theorize that it was either due to the magical nature of the creation, or simply because kryptonian dna was simply too complex for Joker to fully understand it and even though created by magic it was a mutated version of Superman.

Now you can wonder, then why only his energy powers were reversed?! Why not every aspect of him?! And the answer is quite easy. Writers convenience! If every aspect of him was reversed than that Bizarro would be pretty much useless. Instead of super-strength/speed/senses, invulnerability and flight. He would have weak-strength/speed/senses, he would be vulnerable to everything and instead of flying he would have the power to (for example) increase is weigh or mass.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Shouldn't he be weak as sh*t and slow as bricks???

SirForrest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: his not weak his REALLY powerful,he once punch superman so hard superman literally went to the mesozoic era because of bizarro punching him,for his speed massively FTL+ (has been shown to match superman in speed during their many battles)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.