Follow

Bishop

Character » Bishop appears in 2984 issues.

Lucas Bishop is a mutant from the 22nd century that traveled into the past, becoming a member of the X-Men, and later, the Uncanny X-Force. He has the mutant ability to absorb and redirect any kinetic energy that is used against him or that is released in his general vicinity. He is the first black male team member within the X-Men Universe.

What is the limit of bishop powers?

ghost_rider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ghost_rider1

I read about bishop absorbing powers and it said he absorb radioactivr and conductive energy and can release it from his hands usually in concussive blasts. I was thinking that solar and ambient energy falls into that category. But in the comics, it only shows him releasing energy when someone hits him with a blast. So now I'm wondering do he only get energy from when someone hit him. Or does his body also absorbs energy from the atmosphere and don't need to get hit with a blast to get energy?

X_insignia1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By X_insignia1

and to add, can he absorb Iceman's iceblast?

ghost_rider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ghost_rider1
    @X_insignia1

Yes he can absorb any kinda energy directed towards him. That includes electricity, heat, ice. I haven't seen any energy that bishop cant absorb except energy from inertial impacts. and he is starting to lean hoiw to absorb that energy as well
    karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By karetaker

@deadpool2421: he can absorb ambient energy also. he can absorb the energy from snow melting on his back or the wind blowing on his face

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By ReVamp

Ice Energy.

Really Comics?

ghost_rider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ghost_rider1
    @karetaker

Woow! I didn't know that. His absorbing powers are stronger than most ppl think. Have it been said about him absorbing sunlight or solar energy given off from the sun
    karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By karetaker

@ReVamp said:

Ice Energy.

Really Comics?

i have the comic but im not sure the exact issue but im pretty sure it was during missiah complex @deadpool2421 said:

@karetaker Woow! I didn't know that. His absorbing powers are stronger than most ppl think. Have it been said about him absorbing sunlight or solar energy given off from the sun

ive never seen that :)

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By ReVamp

@karetaker: I'm not questioning whether it happened, lol. I'm just saying that...

Really Comics? xP.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By karetaker

@ReVamp: o lol i was confused

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
    deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically speaking he should not be able to absorb Iceman freezing him, Iceman is not adding energy to anything, he is taking it away. I am sure he has done it in the comic, but he shouldn't be able to. You can not absorb a loss of energy.

Trinity00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Trinity00

@MisterWhisper said:

Technically speaking he should not be able to absorb Iceman freezing him, Iceman is not adding energy to anything, he is taking it away. I am sure he has done it in the comic, but he shouldn't be able to. You can not absorb a loss of energy.

Well tell that to the logic of comic writers.

yodagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By yodagod

He absorbed ambient magnetic energy when Magneto kept Bishop and the rest of the teams immobile at Illyana's funeral in Fatal Attractions. He has an upper limit to his absorption, however. When he reaches his absorption limit, he releases it all at once and passes out. Cyclops has overloaded him twice, Magneto once, Storm at least once, Thunderbird (Neal) once, and Rachel once.

@MisterWhisper said:

Bobby isn't taking it away, he's changing heat energy to potential energy as he slows molecular function. Remember...energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transformed. Theoretically Bishop could absorb that potential energy or heat energy as it alters. So he could absorb blasts from Bobby, though should still be hurt by the actual ice shards in the blast, since his kinetic energy absorption is minimal.

Incidentally people, there's no such thing as "ice energy". Its cryokinesis, which allows characters with cold based powers to release heat energy as potential energy, slowing molecular function, and lowering temperatures.

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Malonius

@karetaker said:

@deadpool2421: he can absorb ambient energy also. he can absorb the energy from snow melting on his back or the wind blowing on his face

I remember that comic!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Moved to the Bishop thread since it's not a battle ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
    deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yodagod: Actually Bobby is a reverse telekinetic, he slows down molecular motion. Turning heat energy into potential energy is jut the act of slowing down, he happens o do that to the molecular excitation in the actual atoms. That would be like Bishop absorbing energy when when his car slows down. If Bishop could absorb potential energy he would overload just by standing still.

yodagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yodagod

@MisterWhisper said:

@yodagod: Actually Bobby is a reverse telekinetic, he slows down molecular motion. Turning heat energy into potential energy is jut the act of slowing down, he happens o do that to the molecular excitation in the actual atoms. That would be like Bishop absorbing energy when when his car slows down. If Bishop could absorb potential energy he would overload just by standing still.

1. No such thing as a "reverse telekinetic". High level telekinesis (as shown by Jean Grey) could be used to directly manipulate molecules and even atomic structure, and could even be used to stop motion, but it is still just telekinesis. The idea of "reverse telekinesis" is just silly. It's like calling it reverse thermokinesis 2. Bobby's never shown any telekinetic abilities. 3. He has shown exceptional cryokinesis, the process of which I already explained, and which is basically what you were just trying to explain, though I explained it more accurately and more completely, though as you pointed out, the molecules do slow down in the process. It in no way changes his powerset. 4. Bobby's control is molecular, not atomic or subatomic. 5. I said Bishop could "theoretically absorb the potential energy or heat energy as it alters". The key there is "as it alters". During the actual conversion process it could be absorbed. Your analogy is inaccurate. It's more like Bobby is siphoning gas from a car, and Bishop siphons from Bobby's hose as gas transfers from the car to the gas can.

Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Walker696

So long story short and a bunch of big words later Bishop is under Cyclops in power.............was that so hard to say lol..........

ghost_rider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ghost_rider1
    @Walker696

I wouldn't say he is under cyclops in power becuz he can absorb more types of energy than cyclops. Cyclops have shown to be able to absorb solor energy from the sun. I'm not sure whether or not bishop can do that but he can release energy with twice the power he absorbed and it cancels out their immunity to their own powers. Cyclops did overload him but that's cuz bishop let him. If he realese the energy he absorb from his blasts he would obliterate cyclops. I would say bishop powers are superior
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Twentyfive

Apparently, his one true limit is the bad writers of Marvel. Shame on them.

artgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By artgamer

i think he was overloaded by cyclops in some comic (i don't remember) i think was post day-M comics or civil war storyarc

ghost_rider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ghost_rider1

Can bishop used absorbed energy for any other purposes other than releasing concussive blasts from his hands.....for example, could he do an AoE blast of energy from his body?

ghost_rider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.