Follow

Birds of Prey

Team » Birds of Prey appears in 439 issues.

The Birds of Prey are a group of female heroes headed by Barbara Gordon. Though the team's roster tends to rotate, the mainstays of the group have been Oracle/Batgirl, Black Canary, and Huntress.

The Science of Birds of Prey #4

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

Again with my last examination of science in a single issue, I am once again focusing on an series not known for any scientific outlook.  Still, if the science is there then I will look at it.  So here goes for Birds of Prey #4 (as always there are spoilers here.) 

No Caption Provided

Enzymes and inhibitors

This was the best science I have seen in comics in a long time and it is good because it was kept simple and vague.  What he is basically talking about here are enzymes or inhibitors, but as he is vague it is hard to tell.  A protein can do either, in one case it helps a process occur more quickly (thus it’s a catalyst) or it can be an inhibitor as well which means it stops any reactions from occurring.  In either case here, it could be the case as whatever was in Dinah’s system could be broken down in this way (by not describing more it is hard to be more critical.)  Also it might be hard to synthesize enough to act as an antidote right away, but there is nothing to say that it is not a very common protein which might be in abundance in his lab anyway. 

Verdict:  Good science

No Caption Provided

Lasers and wavelengths of light

Is there anything that lasers can’t do?  In fact there is a lot.  Not everyone knows that laser is actually an acronym which stands for light amplification by the stimulates emissions of electrons.  Thus what lasers are is basically beefed-up light waves.  What light waves are not though is omni-directional, they are unidirectional (I explained this previously about sound.)  In the cases where lasers are omni-directional (like in the scanner at a supermarket) it is actually a sequence of lasers as opposed to just one.  In this case there is a bulb on the end of Starling’s laser which means it is being diffused in some manner (and this is done with some lasers) but this would decrease the overall effect of the laser.  Anyway what the problem here is that apparently the villainous Cleaners are visible in only a small spectrum of visible light, and one apparently which the human eye cannot recognize.  Fair enough I guess, but if she is trying to isolate a specific wavelength she wouldn’t need a laser for that.  A flashlight with the right lens would do. 

Verdict: Bad science

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

hmmmm....educational 

Didn't the Birds of Prey ever see Predator 2?? :)

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @cattlebattle: I have seen Predator 2, but I am not sure what you are referring to
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle
    @RazzaTazz said:
    @cattlebattle: I have seen Predator 2, but I am not sure what you are referring to
    The part towards the end when Gary Buseys team figures out how to see the cloaked Predator in the warehouse, they use giant flashlights with different filters  because he was only visible under one spectrum.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @cattlebattle: Ah ok gotcha
    difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By difficlus

@RazzaTazz: nice blog...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.