Follow

Billy Batson

Character » Billy Batson appears in 2499 issues.

The original Captain Marvel, deemed worthy of becoming the champion of the ancient Wizard Mamaragan, whenever he utters the word "Shazam", young Billy Batson is struck by a magical thunderbolt and gains vast divine powers and abilities, transforming him into Magic's Champion, the World's Mightiest Mortal, Shazam!

Awesome Toy Picks: The New 52 SHAZAM Action Figure

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a close look at a comic book collectible. That means taking it out of the package. There's been some talk of Shazam this week in the news with Dwayne Johnson announcing he'll be playing Black Adam in a movie. We decided to feature a figure that's been out for a little while, the New 52 version of Shazam.

No Caption Provided

This figure is in the same scale as the other New 52 figures that have been released. So if you've been buying the Justice League of Super-Villains figures, you probably already have this one. If you don't, you should add it to add to your Justice League line up.

This is based on the designs of Gary Frank.

No Caption Provided

We have featured other Captain Marvel Shazam figures in the past. A couple years ago we busted out the Kingdom Come Shazam figure. Last year we looked at Mattel's version of the New 52 Shazam figure. You can see how those two compare below:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

You can see the sculpt is better. While I do like the Mattel figures, that stomach articulation just drives me crazy. It takes away from the look of the figure and I've never really had a need to make my figures do sit ups.

This is a hooded Shazam. Unlike the Mattel version. The hood does not come off. It is a rubbery material so be careful or it could rip if you tried to force it off. You can see how majestic he looks just standing there.

No Caption Provided

You can't take off his hood but you can turn his head side to side.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Since Billy Batson is all about looking cool, he is a kid after all, Shazam comes with some of the fanciest footwear in the New 52.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I still have mixed feelings about the hooded look. It does look cool but, of course, it is a departure from the old version. There was always something cool and unique about his little half cape. It might not have been the most practical cape or look but it was his.

The hood gives him a different feeling. At times, he can look a little ominous. Or it looks like someone put on a fancy sheet and is trying to scare the kids.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

His bracelets look pretty cool. They're subtle but there's enough detail to make them stand out when he's about to throw a punch.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

If you're a Shazam/Billy Batson/former Captain Marvel fan, you'll want this figure. Like the other New 52 figure, it doesn't have a ton of articulation. I always say that sometimes figures have too much. When all you can see is joints everywhere, it takes away from the sculpt and design of the figure.

My only problems with this figure is you can't take the hood off and his arms. Look at them when they're down at his side.

No Caption Provided

That's as far down as they go. You've seen in the other pictures that you can bend and twist his arms at the elbows but he can't put them down his sides. It's like he was way too many muscles and his arms just can't go down. Still, he's a good looking figure.

No Caption Provided

If you haven't picked up this figure yet, you can order it directly from DC's online shop HERE. It'll cost you $24.95 and ships within a day. You can also check out the other figures they have that you might be missing. You might be able to find this at your local comic shop too.

Let us know what you think of this figure. Are you a fan of the hood? Do you already have this one? We'll have another item featured next time.

Hayden86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Lol look at those sweet pink lips of lust ! Like Cotten candy on a mid summers eve at the county fair...the time sure has gone . Pretty cool on the other hand. I really like the eyes and bolt charged up. Better look out mr. Black Atom.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

On the Mattel stomach articulation: maybe it is there in case you want a character to take a punch in the gut. Collectors can pose a character get punched/a kid playing with the toy can have their heroes get each other in the gut.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Even though I think his new look is the least of Captain Marvel's problems in the New 52, I still don't like it. The whole reason that "corny" (or in my opinion awesome) look works, is because it's a kid in the hero's body. If any other character had that look then I would agree with the change, but for Captain Marvel the look works. Overall it feels like a complete waste of a great and iconic character design that was truly unique, and spoke volumes about the character, all while honoring the fantastic time period the character is from.

Still, changing a characters look is part of getting more people into comics, and I'm more concerned about the name and his personalty, so his look is more of a nit pick compared to the other problems I have.

P.S. I too miss the mini cape :( (also hate the hood)

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I was given this one last Christmas, and even though I'm not even a Shazam fan, I like the figure.

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can take the hood off. Doesn't look great as it sorts of sits against the back of his head but he has a full head sculpt.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I like the hood. It makes Shazam look more like a "magician". I am not a fan of the hood not being removable though.

I also prefer more articulation. I've seen figures that cost $15 have better articulation than $50 figures. When I was a kid I would move figures all sorts of ways. It seems odd that the DC figure can't even have its arms by its side. I guess it depends on the target audience. Some people will pay $100 for a stationary figure.

Avatar image for anthonypilone01
    Anthonypilone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My quick change superman (based on the 90s animated series) looks far better and actually has an actual fabric cape. This new 52 crap shouldn't even be worth t!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck

@colanicole: I started pulling and it looked like it was going to rip the plastic. So I stopped.

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That looks great, love the hood design!

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: It does look better up but it wont rip.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Cool figure.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I think it would've looked better with a translucent lightning bolt.

I like the hood too, and the glowing lighting bolt is pretty cool, but other than that I miss the old costume.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I will say though, this is a pretty nice figure (minus the unmovable hood).

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WheatStalker

Hmm, this figure looks better out of the box ... maybe the Wonder Woman figure from this line that I keep eyeballing at the comic shop, will be the same way. Twenty-five bones for not-superior articulation, though, kinda cools me off.

Edit: Just looked through DC's page for the WW JL figure ... it's not there. Better hit the shop soon if I want it.

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MachoMustachio
    UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think the figure looks great. I personally love the new design for Shazam. I think the hood gives him a unique look. And seeing how kids are seen wearing "hoodies" (that sounds so stupid) so often these days I think it makes sense for the character as well. 1 of the better New 52 re designs IMO. Although full disclosure, I'm not a fan of the Shazam character, not the classic version, not the N52. Keep him away from the live action Justice League! lol ;)

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@infamous_wolf said:

That looks great, love the hood design!

I thought I was the only one?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.