The 2006 wiki last edited by Billy Batson on 09/27/16 07:00AM
View full history
Series editor Anne Elizabeth Moore has a gift for seeking out relatively unknown writers who are doing amazing work and deserve recognition. In addition to better-known comic artists, she was able to find rare work that mainstream readers might not otherwise discover. 2006 contributors to Best American Comics include: Kim Deitch, Anders Nilsen, Chris Ware, Ben Katchor, Joe Sacco, Jaime Hernandez, David Heatley, Gilbert Shelton, Alison Bechdel, Alex Robinson, Jessica Abel, Rick Geary, Kurt Wolfgang, Lynda Barry, Robert Crumb, and Seth Tobocman. Original sources include: McSweeney's, Metropolis, Mome, Love and Rockets, The Stranger, Deadpan, Dykes to Watch Out For, Zap, Hi-Horse Omnibus, World War 3, the Comics Journal, and many more.
Collecting the best examples of independent comic book authors and artists from January 2004 to August 2005. Edited by Harvey Pekar.
- Joel Priddy's The Amazing Life of Onion Jack, from Superior Showcase.
- Kim Deitch's Ready to Die, from McSweeney's.
- Anders Nilsen's The Gift from Dogs and Water.
- Lilli Carré's Adventures of Paul Bunyan & His Ox, Babe from Tales of the Woodsman Pete.
- David Lasky's Diary of a Bread Delivery Guy from Arthur.
- Ben Katchor's Goner Pillow Company from Metropolis.
- Alison Bechdel's Only Disconnect from Dykes to Watch Out For.
- Joe Sacco's Complacency Kills from The Guardian Online.
- Justin Hall's La Rubia Loco from The Travel Tales.
- Chris Ware's Comics: A History from McWeeney's.
- Rebecca Dart's Rabbithead from Rabbithead.
- Ivan Brunetti's Untitled from The Stranger.
- Jonathan Bennett's Dance with the Ventures from Mome.
- Jaime Hernandez's Day by Day with Hopey: Tuesday is Whose Day? from Love and Rockets.
- Esther Pearl Watson's Busted! from Unlovable.
- John Porcellino's Chemical Plant/Another World from Diary of a Mosquito Abatement Man.
- David Heatley's Portrait of my Dad from Deadpan.
- Lloyd Dangle's A Street-Level View of the Republican National Convention from The Stranger.
- Hob's The Supervisor from Hi-Horse Omnibus.
- Gilbert Shelton's Wonder Wart-Hog: The Wart-Hog That Came in from the Cold from Zap.
- Olivia Schanzer's Solidarity Forever from Hi-Horse Omnibus.
- Alex Robinson's Thirty-Three from Tricked.
- Jessica Abel's Missing from La Perdida.
- Seth Tobocman, Terisa Turner, and Leigh Brownhill's Nakedness and Power from World War 3 Illustrated.
- Rick Geary's Recollection of Seduction from The Comics Journal Special Edition.
- Tom Hart's The Executive Hour from Unmarketable.
- Kurt Wolfgang's Passing Before Life's Very Eyes from Mome.
- Jesse Reklaw's Thirteen Cats of My Childhood from Couch Tag.
- Lynda Barry's Two Questions from McSweeny's.
- Robert Crumb's Walkin' the Streets from Zap.