Follow

Batwoman

Character » Batwoman appears in 961 issues.

After resigning from the Army under DADT for being a lesbian, Kate Kane lived a directionless party-girl heiress lifestyle until, on a dark night, a chance encounter with Batman inspired her to find a new calling in life, later adopting the mantle of Batwoman.

Is the New 52 Batwoman worth picking up?

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SupBatz

I'm vaguely interested in the character and know almost nothing about her. But I'm hesitant to pick up her book without knowing what people have thought of it so far.

Would anyone reccomend it to someone unfamiliar with the character but interested?

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fables87

Not sure how the rest of the series holds up, but the first volume is good. Not as good as Elegy, but the artwork makes you want to keep reading it.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By RainEffect
    @SupBatz: I knew nothing of her character, but I picked up the first arc Hydrology in paper back, after seeing the immense acclaim it got, and I was not disappointed. The artwork is easily the highest point, as it isn't drawn like a comic book, but like a film. Seriously, the pages aren't panels, they're scenes

I highly recommend it. I haven't been keeping up with the recent releases, but Hyrdrology is brilliant.
    SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SupBatz

@RainEffect: Thanks for the input (and thank you, Fables87 as well). I think I'll definitely give Hydrology a shot now!

NewKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By NewKid

@SupBatz: Definitely, it's such a great series. one fo the best that DC has running, but def works better in trade.

if you have an interest then pick up the trade for Elegy, if you haven't already (it's pre-N52, but her character wasn't really rebooted so it just carried on from that), then if you like that the first N52 trade, hydrology, is now out in hardback, and that's great too.

apparently the current story, To Drown The World, is pretty hard to follow and not that enjoyable as a monthly, so i'm waiting on the trade for that too...

But like i say, if you're curious, start with Elegy :D

Avatar image for deactivated-607949e25bdb6
    deactivated-607949e25bdb6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've picked up an issue or two, and I've enjoyed them.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By JohnnyWalker

no. the art is crap and the story uninteresting.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#8  Edited By Joygirl

I love it.

Avatar image for goldenboy_prime
    Goldenboy_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Goldenboy_Prime

It's okay, but you should pick up (pre-New52) Elegy if you can. JH Williams III is pretty much doing a WW/BW mini series atm.

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

I heard that it's pretty great, I should pick it up myself

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ChiSoxRox

Yes. The art is stunning, and Trevor McCarthy is so far a worthy successor to the breathtaking art that J H Williams was churning out. The characterization is also a high point, as Kate Kane is an enthralling mix of martial devotion and familial angst. (Her sexuality is presented pretty matter of factly, not dwelt on excessively, and generally handled very well.) The main drawback is that the writing can get a bit repetitive -- we had four issues of her and Wonder Woman zooming around attacking bigger and bigger monsters, and Alice returns more than once.

But I second Goldenboy's suggestion to read Elegy first. Elegy gives her whole backstory and the first run in with Alice, so you'll miss quite a bit without it.

(This is the volume that got me into comics in the first place.)

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frankly, I don't know how you can be a Bat fan at all and not look at Batwoman. The art is gorgeous, the story is better than most floating around DC right now (that is to say, it's not pulse-racing, edge-of-your-seat writing, but it holds its own) and things are really just getting warmed up. What with the recent reintroduction of Alice, Batwoman's sister and primary antagonist and the revelation that Batwoman is related in some way to Director Bones of the DEO, the title's plot thickens considerably.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've been enjoying it a lot. I would definitely ready Elegy first, as others have suggested. However, there's one story in the middle of this New 52 that would have been so much easier to read had it been in a trade. Good story, but with a very convoluted time structure. It just would have been easier.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just picked up the first story arc, looking forward to reading it since it got awesome reviews, new 52 series of course

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.