Follow

Batwoman

Character » Batwoman appears in 961 issues.

After resigning from the Army under DADT for being a lesbian, Kate Kane lived a directionless party-girl heiress lifestyle until, on a dark night, a chance encounter with Batman inspired her to find a new calling in life, later adopting the mantle of Batwoman.

Batwoman in Bat-Family?

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By batshrine

Just a thought, but would you guys consider Batwoman to be part of the Bat-Family. I mean she operates in the same city under the same symbol, but they never really work together. I personally can't make up my mind. I want her to be, but everything seems to point otherwise. So what do you guys think?

kitsokk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kitsokk

No she is independent

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By soccersss

She is more of a partner to the Bat-family. She is independent but she has Batman's approval more or less.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By jsphsmth

The difference between her and the Bat-family is that she was inspired by Batman's example, not trainined and supported by Batman.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By RoboShark

Her book and Batwing's are the best besides Snyder's Batman.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kidchipotle

I view her as an ally. She kind of just adopted the bat name without consulting Bruce/Batman before it. She's lucky he didn't kick her ass for and let her keep it, everyone knows that's copy right infringement.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Kal'smahboi

No. If anything she's like the distant cousin you met recently and grew to like.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By batshrine

I see where you guys are all coming from, but what I want to know is why is DC still promoting her as a Batman character? IS it cause of her origins as one? I mean Renee Montoya was created from Batman too (though a different medium). But I never recall her being counted as a Bat title when she became the Question.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Martian

@jsphsmth said:

The difference between her and the Bat-family is that she was inspired by Batman's example, not trained and supported by Batman.

What he said.

Obsidian307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Obsidian307

I guess her choosing to side herself with the DEO in the more recent issues excludes her from the bat-family.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vernierhawk001

@batshrine said:

Just a thought, but would you guys consider Batwoman to be part of the Bat-Family. I mean she operates in the same city under the same symbol, but they never really work together. I personally can't make up my mind. I want her to be, but everything seems to point otherwise. So what do you guys think?

I am glad you asked this question. I honestly have a problem with her carrying on the Bat moniker as she is not even significant enough to the family to be mentioned in DoTF or considered as one of Bruce's allies. Also, how big is Gotham? Does it really need Batman and Robin, batgirl and Nightwing all patrolling it in addition to Batwoman? Not hating on the character but give her her own city and unique identity or something

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose
    No Caption Provided

@batshrine said:

I think this picture from Batman #14 sums it up.I know the top left, top centre, bottom left and bottom centre are Nightwing, Robin, Red Robin and Batgirl, respectively. Am I right in thinking top left is Red Hood, and bottom right is Batman Incorporated?

I've heard that she's considered part of Batman Incorporated, but I don't know if that's currently the case, and I've also heard mentioned that Batman Incorporated members, aren't consider part of the Bat-Family. So, seeing as she's either not on Batmans' speed dial at all, or is grouped with Batman Inc., I'd say this shows that Batman doesn't consider her to be part of the family, therefore we should take from this, that she isn't one of the Bat-Family.

Plus, she isn't being targeted in Death Of The Family.

I think some people consider her to be part of the family because of her being called Batwoman, but she only took on a bat symbol so that people would know she was a crimefighter, and not a villain.

So it seems she's not a member of the Bat-Family, but I'm O.K. with that. :)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

B@V_Scarlotte_Rose Batwoman is not part of Inc, she refused the offer

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Jonny_Anonymous: Ah right, that's what I thought. I heard somewhere she was part of it at some point, but maybe they just thought that because she was in at least one issue of Batman Inc.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @V_Scarlotte_Rose well Batman offered her to join but she didn't say no till a few issues later so a suppose people could consider her a member inbetween that
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TDK_1997

I consider her as an ally.She is part of the Bat friends but not family.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Jonny_Anonymous: Yeah, that could be it.

@TDK_1997: Bat-Friends is a good way of putting it. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.