Batman #51

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: We'll have an interview with Snyder and Capullo later today, discussing their final issue and what's next.

The moment we've been dreading has arrived. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo have given us some great stories since the New 52 started. We found out back in October that Capullo would be leaving, and shortly after, Snyder revealed his plans to depart the book as well. Superheavy wrapped up last issue, but the two still had one more story to deliver. It's a slight departure from what we've come to expect, and that's a great thing.

Over the years, we've seen Bruce go through some changes. A lot of those occurred in the last couple arcs. With Bruce's departure and return during Superheavy, Snyder and Capullo are ready to dim the lights and also set the stage for the next chapter. We're used to getting big and heavy action-packed stories. This issue does a little house keeping for Bruce's life, and it also gives the perfect opportunity to reflect on what's happened and what's coming up.

You would think after the intense finale of Superheavy, Bruce could use some time off. That isn't the case as he happily dives back into the heart of Gotham. Snyder's exploration on the theme of what Gotham is, is fascinating. Snyder's run has been nearly all about big story arcs. It's thrilling to see a self contained story explore Bruce and Gotham. Even though it's a single-issue story, there's a lot going on. Snyder may be departing this series but he will return to Gotham in the upcoming ALL-STAR BATMAN. There's a few different seeds being planted here (which is something brought up in our upcoming interview).

Capullo's art, as always, is amazing. With Danny Miki's inks and FCO Plascencia's colors, the pages are a visual treat to behold. We are taken to different locations in Gotham and get to see several characters. We get a good sense of what the city is about. Usually we're focused on one area or certain characters. This issue shows there's always something going on, on or below the surface.

BATMAN #51 is the perfect ending to Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's run. There's a bittersweet feeling as you enjoy the issue, knowing it will all be over soon. The issue does help celebrate past five years, and that's a key thing to keep in mind. Nothing lasts forever, and we've had a helluva ride for fifty-one issues. At the same time, there's a feeling of new beginnings. Exploring what Gotham is and seeing various characters planning their next schemes reassures us the city's story is far from over. We owe the creative team a huge thanks for all the great times and issues they've given us. It will be exciting to see what they'll all give us next.

Matt2487

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Damn, I felt sad reading this issue. I started reading comics roughly two years ago and The Court of Owls was the first trade I picked up. Sad that Snyder and Capullo won't be working together full time.

The issue itself was pretty decent, after all the big arcs it's nice that Batman's finally having a quieter night.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Gonna miss this team on Bats :-|

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i always read my weekly batch in ascending order of anticipation...this will be last today, right after justice league.

Snyder and capullo will be missed, I look forward to this secret DC project of theirs

JLFan15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

They've consistently been one of the best creative teams in today's comics. Can't wait to see what they're doing next

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This was a great ending to Snyder and Capullo's run on Batman.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By apokos7

Their run on Batman was amazing. I can't wait until Greg Capullo is back at DC. Another Batman run from them (which is what they'll most likely do) would be great, I can't help but feel that they should play with a different corner of the DC Universe next time, though.

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apokos7: capullo said this will be more "stand out from the crowd" than their work on batman. I doubt another run on batman would happen. Might be batman related but it's gotta be something different

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jtmac005: Yes, I know. I try to follow interviews and statements from talents I like as much as I can. What I'm saying is that even if their next project isn't on the "Batman" title, it will probably be about the Batman character. Not that I won't be happy about it, I try to praise this team and this run as much as I can since I love it, but I would rather see them take on something different, like Green Lantern or the Flash.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"There are seeds being planted" :D

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm not a fan of zipper lips on blackmask yet.

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apokos7: oh I get you. Yeah it will most likely be a new batman title. I would love to see their take on flash, aquaman, nightwing or deathstroke

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what an awesome issue.A fantastic run,and fantastic duo.I am really glad that I own all the hardbacks of their Batman run so far.Can't wait to see what they have next when they return.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

totoroshaped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This issue was really great. Gonna miss Snyder and Capullo. :(

ohrenclez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@jtmac005: I read my book exactly the same way :D

I also kept them for last! They certainly did not disappoint!

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was here at the beginning.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was just an incredible story. This one will stay with me for a very long time. Well done boys!!

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started reading comics, period at issues #17. Never stopped reading Batman. This was such a sad issue to read.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

I am happy to say I've collected every issue of Snyder and Capullo's run along with both Eternal series. I will definitely miss them on the book, but at least Snyder will just be moving to All-Star and Capullo will be back! Thank you so much for an amazing run.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

don't get the scene with the Court of Owls; was Batman the woman in disguise then?

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are they rebooting again? They already rebooted 4 years ago? I know it's not a full reboot, but why change everything again after 4 years?

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@algorhythm511 theyre not rebooting, theyre rebirthing. in other words, the stories are now going to focus on what makes the character so special. ex: superhero used to have stories about his cheesy villain with little to no meaning. now, superhero's story will be based on ehat makes that superhero who he is, their motives, determination, struggles, love. whatever makes that character who he is, the rebirth. Its a needed idea, but as always, theres always going to be something lame, change to ugly costume, lame story, etc. Batman will definitely be amazing.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phocracker: In that case that is really good to hear. I am excited to see what these comics will contain based on you description.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.