Batman #50

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Superheavy has been a crazy and wild ride for Batman and comic readers. With the previous arc, we saw Bruce Wayne meet his apparent demise. It soon became clear that Gotham City still needed a Batman. This isn't the first time we've seen another person step into the role, but it was the first time it was someone from outside Batman's immediate family. 

Jim Gordon as Batman sounded like a bizarre choice. The fact is, Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo made it work. It was like a crazy experiment, and we got to see Jim take on the new threat of Mr. Bloom. What also made the stories enticing was the fact that Bruce Wayne was still in the wings. It turned out he wasn't dead but simply no longer possessed any memories of ever being Batman. This went beyond a case of amnesia. 

With the threat of Bloom reaching a critical high for Gotham, we finally have the return of the true Batman. With each page and each panel, you can feel the energy and enthusiasm Snyder and Capullo have poured into this issue. They are tasked with bringing this arc to a close as well as returning things to what readers feel is the status quo. It's an epic battle and a brilliant end to the arc.

Was Jim as Batman a success? It's hard to say. I have to admit I mostly found his adventures in this title enticing. It might be the balance of seeing Jim grow into the role he's taken on compounded with the suspense of what will happen with Bruce Wayne and Duke Thomas. Having a foe like Mr. Bloom didn't feel like a huge threat. Snyder and Capullo easily took him the next level and beyond. 

There's an almost bittersweet feeling to the issue. It is an oversized celebration issue. We have the return of Bruce as Batman and a new costume. The problem is, this issue means we're almost at the end of Snyder and Capullo's run. They have one more issue left. This is the big bombastic story which will be followed by a more quiet story next month. For a final action-packed issue, this one hits all the marks. We get some fantastic moments we won't soon forget.

With the conclusion to Superheavy, all is almost as it should be in Gotham City. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo have delivered another stellar issue. We have some amazing scenes and several moments that will put a big grin on your face. It's hard to think of this creative team leaving the title, just when things are returning to normal. Superheavy was a risky story, but these guys made it a completely satisfying read. This issue just goes to show us how much we'll miss seeing Snyder and Capullo together. We still have one more issue to go so the celebration is not over yet. If you haven't read Superheavy yet, you're in for a treat. Only Snyder and Capullo could make a risky story concept work in such a glorious fashion. 

batarangbamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They really stuck the landing on this one. All the random pieces fit together so well in the end. This feels like it could have be 50 and 51 but 5.99 is better than 7.98.

simple1dea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By simple1dea

Was a bit too over the top. Really this was a Superman level threat. Some lines felt like it would actually suit a Superman comic more than Batman like ''Not because he can save us. But because he believes we will save ourselves. ''That would go great in a Superman comic.

It was cool seeing Bryan Cranston playing Commissioner Gordon

The new suit is cool.

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm honestly not sure how I felt about the conclusion to the story. It's one of those times where I'm not sure what I just read. Perhaps I wanted a more grounded story conclusion and this just went too much over the top

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was great, and Snyder nailed it. Greg, Danny, and FCO too of course. I'm sad to see them leave Batman but I'm excited to see what they have next. Especially the Millar Capullo project

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

5 stars?! Who on earth saw this coming?? lol

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was Okay.Just felt a bit meh at times,and yea the art and colors are great but the story going on just felt underwhelming.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was an excellent conclusion to this arc, i'm happy to see Bruce is back. however i wasn't to fond of the new costume.... either way still a great issue.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was ok, It looked more like Pacific Rim than Batman.

batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I loved this issue the art was amazing, and so was the story. I also loved the new costume, and the subtle change in Bruce's attitude. Along with the bittersweet return of Bruce Wayne to the Batman identity knowing what he gave up for the city.

Now, am I the only one who wants the next issue to be him meeting up with the BatFamily again after all this time to them?

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I feel awful knowing Capullo and Scott are leaving at 51. Anybody know who's taking over?

adrikito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By adrikito

@batmarcus said:

Now, am I the only one who wants the next issue to be him meeting up with the BatFamily again after all this time to them?

NO. Is the time to reunion of Batfamily.

@sog7dc said:

5 stars?! Who on earth saw this coming?? lol

Look Batman News, 3/5 of 10, in this chapter.

Paracelsus47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too much sophism and drama in this issue.Snyder just loves it."Batman isn't real","He is a ghost","He can't fix anything real","Bruce is dead,long live the Batman",etc...Bruce IS Batman.He is a compassionate and selfless man who created Batman persona to fight threats too big for others to handle.It's that simple.

Haloprogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I heard Greg talking about this great idea he had for the costume and all I got really excited, seeing it now basically just being a grey version of Jim's costume with a cape really killed it. Not at all as good as I imagined + even so who's to say it'll linger? For all we know it's gone as soon as rebirth hits.

gearsofwar16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Batman is now the strongest and fastest version of himself due to the dionysium healing all the years of scar tissue. Pretty exciting.

Lunarstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This site is really handing out stars like candy on Halloween. Thank god Snyder is leaving.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Lol, at the people hoping for Tom King on the main Batman title, so they could see less Duke and more Damian...as it turns out, Duke is on the cover and Damian isn't.

Not that i'm a fan of Duke, i actually like Damian way more...its just that people criticized Snyder for this, and it seems like King will do the same.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Lol, at the people hoping for Tom King on the main Batman title, so they could see less Duke and more Damian...as it turns out, Duke is on the cover and Damian isn't.

Not that i'm a fan of Duke, i actually like Damian way more...its just that people criticized Snyder for this, and it seems like King will do the same.

Both Duke and Damian will be in it and Batman has Snyder's shadow on it,maybe I'll just follow Nightwing only.

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Batman is now the strongest and fastest version of himself due to the dionysium healing all the years of scar tissue. Pretty exciting.

So when he said better than ever... he really meant that.

magik_man76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked issue 50 but I have hated the entire Jim Gordon as Batman with Bruce having memory loss story arc! Probably one of my least fav stories ever and I'm a 30 year reader. Looking forward for all Batman rebirth!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.