Batman #45

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

When we last saw Jim Gordon as the new Batman, things weren't going too well. While trying to get a lead on the mysterious Mr. Bloom, Gordon literally ended up in a real hot spot. This is one of the great things about getting to read a Batman book with a different Batman. We all know the almighty Batman can easily get out of any sticky situation.

This is the good and bad thing about Gordon as Batman. Clearly most readers would want to see Bruce Wayne under the cowl but just as seeing Dick Grayson fill in the boots, this allows for some twists to the character that's been around for over seventy-five years. Gordon gives us a Batman we haven't seen before. We have that excitement in wondering how will he get out of 'this one.' Scott Snyder has excelled at putting Batman in situations where he would get beaten down. The suspense is greater now. And if Jim didn't have his hands full out on the street, there's also the political side of being a Batman answering to the city and a corporation.

For those demanding Bruce Wayne, we do get to see him continuing and adjusting to his new life without any memory of having been Batman before. This, too, is an interesting twist to the character. We're getting to see what Bruce Wayne would have been like without the trauma and burden of becoming Batman. Long time comics readers can feel it in their bones that Bruce has to return to the cowl somehow at some point. For now, we get to see how things unfold and whether or not there exists any hint of the man he used to be.

As exciting as these changes are, it's hard not to think about wanting Bruce fully back. He's doing some great things for Gotham but we can't help wanting him back in action. There are some interesting subplots developing with the other characters to keep our minds occupied as well.

As you would expect, the art by Greg Capullo and Danny Miki and colors by FCO Plascencia are top notch. Batman goes through a brutal fight and these guys make it look spectacular. You can almost feel the pain Jim's going through. It's great seeing him in his under-costume as well as the armor suit in action.

After last month's flashback issue dipping into the story of Mr. Bloom, we're back in the present with Jim Gordon fighting for his life. Some may be patiently waiting for Bruce Wayne to somehow return to the bat-cowl but having a new Batman adds a new twist to the story and keeps throwing the unexpected our way. Snyder, Capullo, Miki, and Plascencia are keeping the 75+ year old character fresh but throwing different things at us. This issue does feel like it's still setting up pieces to the bigger story. We're getting closer to seeing the full wrath and capabilities of Mr. Bloom. There's no doubt things are going to get pretty crazy next issue.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Comic Vine gave Batman 4 stars!?!!?

IS this real!??!!?!

~MiB

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

Comic Vine gave Batman 4 stars!?!!?

IS this real!??!!?!

~MiB

I don't believe it! I thought this issue was better than the last one! Also I'm really enjoying seeing Jim as Batman, and this whole concept that Snyder has going for Superheavy is really cool.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Man, I think this is the first 4 star given to a Snyder/Capullo issue since #19

ZeroSuitUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

"Will this be the end for the new Batman?" Hopefully.

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony gave this only 4 stars? He must have really hated it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My soul died with Jim Gordon's mustache.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

4/5? For a Batman issue? Hmm.

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The issue was a little slow, I get why it was given 4 stars. It's was still good though

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Bring back the 'stache!

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't bad by any means, but this story arc is definitely my least favorite of Snyders' run so far. Hopefully this picks up going forward.

Also, and maybe I missed something, I can accept that Gordons' batsuit can handle one thousand degree temperatures, but why didn't his exposed face melt off?

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Five issues into this story arc and I still have no idea who Mr. Bloom is. I'm not talking about his real name. Hopefully some time before the final issue, Snyder will describe what is driving Mr. Bloom and why he is giving certain people drugs that temporarily make them meta-humans. Who else thinks after this story arc that Capullo will not be returning to Batman. Scott Snyder did say in a previous interview that he was very interested in doing a Wonder Woman story and that he had a story somewhat plotted out.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@kaspercole: He said that his break from Batman would be relatively short. I imagine around an arc. He did say that he was coming back though.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@captainhoopla: If you look at the panels of him in the furnace it looks like there is some sort of film over his face. His mask must extend across his whole face, but that area is just transparent.

Avatar image for nightwing_grayson
    Nightwing_Grayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anyone think the death of julie madison is going to be the new catalyst to bring Bruce back to Batman?

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anyone think the death of julie madison is going to be the new catalyst to bring Bruce back to Batman?

I have no doubt she will go away at some point, but I have faith that Snyder knows better than to "Fridge" her.

Avatar image for nightwing_grayson
    Nightwing_Grayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblackhood: good point, definitely have faith in Synder to do it right!

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightwing_grayson: That seems to be the fate of all the women in Bruce's life...and Robin's.

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

slow issue; no wonder even the usually smitten G-Man only gave it 4 stars

ComicBatReader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ComicBatReader

Even if it was slow, I really like the issue.. If I was rating it, I'd give it a 5 stars.

UrbanChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how did snyder convince dc that having bruce wayne alive yet not letting him be batman would be a good idea

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.