Batman #43

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

From the very first page, we get an idea who, or what, Mr. Bloom, the newest threat in Gotham City, is all about. Greg Capullo and Danny Miki are tasked to draw an exotic-looking flower but with FCO Plascencia’s colors and the little details that soon come to light, we see this is a freaky-looking flower. In some ways, it’s like the birth of a new threat. It’s not often these days we truly see a brand new villain emerge within the pages of an ongoing (corporate) comic. We usually see the previous existing villains return, sometimes with a twist or variation. Scott Snyder and Capullo seem to have no problem adding a new character to Batman’s Rogues Gallery. It’s fitting in some ways. A “new” Batman should have “new” villains.

The big twist from the previous issues was the revelation that Bruce Wayne is indeed still alive. With Jim Gordon seeking him out for assistance, it raises some interesting questions. The main one, what the heck has he been up to? Slowly, throughout the issue, we discover the reason for Bruce Wayne’s new role in Gotham City and why he is not trying to reclaim his role as Batman. It throws a pretty big wrench into the system for those hoping or assuming Bruce would return as Batman immediately. Snyder is definitely making the sudden revelation of his appearance and status quo not quite what we would expect. Just because he’s definitely around doesn’t mean we can just assume he’ll fully be back right away.

Snyder also plays around with the abilities and operating techniques for the new Batman. It’s not really a huge spoiler but we actually don’t even see the robo-Bat suit in this issue. Batman has to operate through different means and finds himself up against Bloom’s men. The scenes with Bloom also reveal appearances can be very deceiving as well.

Once again, we’re getting a lot of the unknown and unexpected thrown at us. It’s understandable that some readers might have difficulty accepting the current changes but Snyder and the Bat-team are showing us how it’s possible to give a new take on the character without veering too far off the path we’re familiar with. We’re still seeing a lot of the same players. Even the scene with Alfred and a certain guest star carried loads of information for us to digest. We had about forty spectacular stories with Bruce Wayne and now Snyder, Capullo, Miki, and Plascencia are taking us down a fascinating side route. I love reading this book and having no idea what might be coming up around the corner. We’re all assuming things will revert eventually but I am going to enjoy every single moment of this “new” Batman while it lasts.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GustavoBurciaga1

Not one issue of their run has been bad. I can't wait to read this!

AndySynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I would just like to say that I am REALLY enjoying this current run, and really enjoying Jim developing into his "own" version of Batman.

HumanTorch101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm picking this up and 4 other books today and I'm excited about where Snyder and Capullo are taking this story.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can you guys do a full review? This site has become so lazy. I've been here for 6 years and this year alone has seen a massive drop in the staff giving a crap. What happened to Comicvine?

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was good and I completely trust Snyder and Capullo to give us a good, crazy, and fun story, but I hate that there is an awfully convenient "Bruce's last invention" waiting in the wings.

Also, Batman should really carry some shark repellent, you never know when something like that might be needed.

staphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HugoEstranho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HugoEstranho

I think Mr. Bloom is actually Doctor Death in a desguise?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staphin: thanks for pointing that out. We actually started doing more news posts and in depth articles on issues. I guess that's being lazy even though our news output has dramatically increased. Reviews don't get much in terms of traffic. Also, I'm still on vacation yet posted this review. Man, I'm so lazy.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder should just admit he came up with Mr. Bloom because he was playing Slender Man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staphin: there has been absolutely no reviews aside from maybe four "quick reviews" in the past four months. The Arrow finale wasn't even reviews, and Game of Thrones reviews stopped after the second episode. And the other staff also writes reviews.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole thing feels too weird for me. Bruce and his mind being ''renewed'' and becoming a new man, losing everything he was ? But there is a machine that could restore it ? Too convinient.

Mr. Bloom...man that guy is creepy and can't be killed by shooting or burning ? The heck is he made out off ?

GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That last page... Damn! Haha it's pretty amazing!

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got me a copy this morning, looking forward to cracking it open and giving it a read tonight !

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_average_bear: beyond rude. Why don't you start your own rival site and see how successful it is'nt

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I jumped onto this Batman series just as Endgame began, it's that was a hell of a story, and so far this has been peaking my interesting as well. while it's not OUR batman, it's another batman and he's filled in for the time being to be THE batman. so i can accept and just let ride..... we all know bruce will eventually come back to being Batman.

To me this is just another Shake up of someone else taking on the mantle of the bat. same as Jean Paul valley, dick,jason, and even tim... it has to be done from time to time to keep it interesting....

In the meantime i think i should have gotten an extra issue of this if it's a first appearance of a new villian.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#18 inferiorego  Staff

This site has become so lazy. I've been here for 6 years and this year alone has seen a massive drop in the staff giving a crap.

I've been here 8 years and the site does better and better each year. That's weird.

The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renchamp: oh I'm sorry, I must've misplaced my handy-dandy list of current ComicVine staff

The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: why did you cut my comment to not include the part about posting a full review? And I noticed this is no longer called a quick review? I guess "that's weird", too

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 inferiorego  Staff

@the_average_bear: I didn't cut anything of yours. Also, the "quick review" part is part of none of our reviews in the past month.

The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: there is a missing sentence when you quoted me, particularly pertaining to the quick reviews. And now none of the reviews are called quick reviews. None! Either I'm going insane or that was very recently changed. Either way.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego: there is a missing sentence when you quoted me, particularly pertaining to the quick reviews. And now none of the reviews are called quick reviews. None! Either I'm going insane or that was very recently changed. Either way.

Oh no, sorry. My mistake. Yeah, I totally cut out that first sentence when quoting you.

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony and Mat, ya'll are doing a great job. Great website, with great articles and great podcasts. You can't please everybody and some people just love to b*tch. But I'm here to tell you keep up the good work and thanks for all you do for us viners.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gmanfromheck

@renchamp: Thanks dude. Yeah, traffic keeps increasing with our content. It's hard to pick and choose but we have all the backend numbers. Sometimes a couple or handful of comments make it look like the majority prefers something but the hard numbers tell it like it is.

And hopefully everyone can just focus on how cool this issue was.

The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renchamp: Thanks for the healthy dose of sarcasm and the half-apology. That was greatly appreciated. At least Matt was civil with me. And hey, if your staffing problem is as bad as you say, I'm absolutely positive you have better things to be doing.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The Batman's secret cloning machine reveal should have taken at least 1 star off the final score. At best it's a contrived plot device, at worst it's a Deus Ex Machina so Snyder can write himself out of his corner. Either way, it does nothing but complicate the plot and Bruce Wayne's eventual return to the cowl.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not one issue of their run has been bad. I can't wait to read this!

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

@gustavoburciaga1: Yeah that last page was great.

Im really starting to like Mr.Bloom I hope he stays around for a long time.

CRACKERMAN92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By CRACKERMAN92

So goooooood

GBrutality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Couple of things--

1 Mr Bloom is great but he reminds me of El Seed from The Tick

2 I understand Bruce is smart but working on a clone building machine seems just a little bit out of his depth and far away from building computers, cars and gadgets

And 3 and I'm sorry if this is too nit-picky but Alfred says that he took care of Bruce as a baby which is fine. Except during the Court of Owls story it's his father who takes care of Bruce as a child which was supposed to be the new continuity. I understand everything was brand new and experimental a couple years back but I wish they'd either commit to some things or don't bother fixing what isn't broken.

DarthDanMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goonage@captainhoopla

Bruce's machine was first introduced in Snyder's short story from Detective Comics #27. So he's been planning this for awhile now.

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was an incredible issue in every sense.... My interest has peaked even more. Snyder did a fantastic job of telling multiple stories in this issue.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By roaris87

@gbrutality:

As the family Butler it would make sense for Alfred to be a part of caring for Bruce as a baby. Also about the cloning device, Alfred said Bruce never got anywhere close to completing it, I'm thinking it's going to work just well enough to give Bruce his memories back, but not be able to clone him.

Kervan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a good issue, and I am enjoying this story arc, even thought I'm really tired of someone other than Bruce being Batman.

What makes this story more palatable than Grant Morrison's nonsensical run? Bruce Wayne is actually IN this story.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Mr. bloom has to be related to dr. death

GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wowlock said:

Mr. Bloom...man that guy is creepy and can't be killed by shooting or burning ? The heck is he made out off ?

He wasn't set on fire. That was the furnace that Jim was trapped in. But yeah that shot to face didn't even keep him down for long!

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@renchamp: are Tony and Matt really the only staff? What about Corey?

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Anyway, this was an amazing issue. Great balance of developments with each of the story threads. Also I liked the way they explained the reason behind Bruce's change. It makes sense. Plus, it doesn't necessarily rule out any return to the status quo.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Gordon hates Robocop!!!

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm glad this issue didn't have the robobatman. I haven't been reading Batman and must admit, I don't intend to for a while. I was exposed to this new Batman in Batgirl and hated the entire concept of it. He goes out and wages a war on the vigilantes that helped him while he was in prison. Wonderful way to repay them.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr Bloom?! since when did Poison Ivy have a sex change?! ;-)

on a side note, am I allowed to say I miss the reviews too, and wish there were more still?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.