gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Zero Year continues to keep us captivated. This has been an incredible journey and even though the end of the story is nearly upon us, there’s no telling how exactly we’ll get there. Scott Snyder is setting up some interesting things in this story and just when you think you know the whole story of Batman’s early days, we get another flashback or piece of information that makes you wonder. What does that first page mean?!?

Seeing Batman work so closely with Jim Gordon and Lucius Fox is a blast. Batman doesn’t trust many people and it’s great seeing how they started forming this bond due to Riddler’s crazy scheme.

Speaking of Riddler, there can’t be any way someone would see his character as a joke after this. He has taken over Gotham City and keeps outsmarting Batman.

As usual, Greg Capullo’s art is solid. This is a different kind of Gotham City and it’s fascinating seeing it in this state. Danny Miki and FCO Plascencia should not be overlooked as it is this entire team of creators that make this such an incredible read.

The Bad

It’s hard to believe there’s only one more issue to wrap everything up. Trying to figure out where this fits into the regular New 52 timeline, including the tenure of the different Robins and the opening of JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, is not recommended.

The Verdict

Zero Year, how much do I love thee? This has been a long running and fantastic story. I hate to see it end next issue. Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, Danny Miki, and FCO Plascencia have been doing a stellar job in deliver a fantastic Batman story completely separate from everything else. With Batman, in particular, it's often difficult to see the character not pulled into other storylines and events. The showdown with the Riddler is heating up and this is yet another issue you'll want to immediately gobble up.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Snyder is a breath of fresh air.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This was decent but I had a few issues. First and foremost: What the heck DC? This is the only comic I'm buying from you and you can't even color in the blacks properly? On SEVERAL pages the blacks weren't finished! It was distracting, especially when there's a great shot of Batman's cowl and it's a mess.

I also have a problem with Scott Snyder writing a bunch of computer gobbledygook instead of a plot that actually means something.

2.5/5

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18 said:

Snyder is a breath of fresh air.

Snyder's Riddler is a breath of fresh air.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This was decent but I had a few issues. First and foremost: What the heck DC? This is the only comic I'm buying from you and you can't even color in the blacks properly? On SEVERAL pages the blacks weren't finished! It was distracting, especially when there's a great shot of Batman's cowl and it's a mess.

I also have a problem with Scott Snyder writing a bunch of computer gobbledygook instead of a plot that actually means something.

2.5/5

..what...

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DrellAssassin

Loved it, I'm not going to lie I teared up when Batman made the call to Alfred. Snyder really gets the character.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The riddler doesn't do anything for me. I'm ready for zero year to end. The story hasn't been awful, but I would rather read something else. Detective comics is getting to be better than batman.

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jasoninthewoods

I think they should keep the book in this time frame.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gracetrack

@derf_jenkins: I admit I will be totally ready for Snyder's next arc, but Zero Year has been exceptional and I wouldn't have traded it for anything happening over in any of the other Bat books. There is no question in my mind that it has been the best Batman title through and through.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I still prefer Francis Manapul's and Brian Buccellato's current Detective Comics run over this personally.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Mezmero

I can sort of give or take the retelling of a more flawed version of Bruce Wayne but the way Snyder handles the villains has been outstanding. Riddler in particular is so freaking cool I can't stand it. One minor annoyance is that Nygma has kind of an uninspired security system at his disposal. I'm willing to believe that he's skilled in robotics and countless other fields of engineering but he doesn't seem like the type to indulge in the manual labor of building bots and sentries. I more associate that style of trickery more with dudes like Toy Man. At least it's still in line with Riddler being a trap making expert. Regardless Zero Year has been great for me. Looking forward to more.

BruceWayne19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwithoutshame: wierd, the blacks are light when batman is straining or whispering. And if you think Snyder hasn't made a great plot and story then I would like to see what is to you

manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brucewayne19: I'm referring to multiple instances of quite obvious coloring defects my issue had. Page 12 (Including Cover and ads) middle panel Batman's face in the foreground has a faded quality to it. Page 17 middle panel Batman's cowl again seems faded but this time there are strange outlines around his mask. As if you can see where someone moved a cursor around to perhaps direct coloring but there is clear color separation where there should be none. Also the upper right panel of 17 Batman's cowl again has a faded and patchy look.

Page 20 upper middle Batman's cowl is faded again. Page 22 Sphinx shot to the right and more noticeably left are faded lines outlining the Sphinx.

BruceWayne19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwithoutshame: that's really wierd, I just checked those pages and I couldn't find anything. Maybe it was messed up in the printing process, or maybe your shop mishandled it.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pretty tense issue. I like how, much like the coil of the seteh game, this issue has us circling back to the meeting of Bruce and Nygma early in the arc.

manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brucewayne19: It is possible this is an isolated incident. I wonder if anybody else has had these problems.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By The Mast

This has just dragged so much. If it doesn't end with a big pay-off, I will be let down.

BruceWayne19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwithoutshame: same, I've had it in past issues of batman and robin and once or twice in futures end

Brione

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it, I'm not going to lie I teared up when Batman made the call to Alfred. Snyder really gets the character.

I completely agree. That's my favorite part of this issue.

manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as the plot is concerned Batman, Gordon, and Lucius Fox search for a special computer isn't exactly riveting is it? It's a search that has been going on for 3 issues and doesn't really lend itself to a lot of character development. If Scott Snyder wants to put Batman in a death trap, then just do it already. So far Savage City has been a huge disappointment IMO.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Jphu8414

Best issue of Savage City yet.

bones360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seemed to have glossed over batmans extremely high fall

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Snyder has written Nygma beautifully!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was eh. Riddler was good and Batman's thoughts about Alfred were cool to see, and so was batman working his way out of riddlers trap on the tower. That's basically the whole book, so when I say it was eh I mean that it just wasn't as good as last issue. Nothing really happened here, it was just setup for the last issue. It did get me excited for zero year to finally end though.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Snyder's next arc is still set in this time. Maybe Year One? Dick Grayson's introduction?

We already have several other Batman books in present day. I'm all for some variety.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DrellAssassin

@manwithoutshame: If you haven't seen any character development, then you sure as hell haven't been looking.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Snyder's next arc is still set in this time. Maybe Year One? Dick Grayson's introduction?

We already have several other Batman books in present day. I'm all for some variety.

He said his next arc will be a murder mystery in the present.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Knightfall225

The Riddler is awesome. Zero year proves that. Great Job Snyder.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did DC decide that their chief creative officer would be the best choice to write their flagship team title when Lemire, Soule, Manapul, Buccellato, Capullo, or Snyder could do so much better on the title. Lemire's first two issues of JLU did more right than 50+ issues of John's JL and JLA work. Snyder got Superman better than any of his main writers besides Morrison.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 owie  Moderator

I've loved this arc and series, but this issue was a little less satisfying than some. It got a little bogged down in technical jargon, and it was annoying that (as far as I could tell) there was no explanation of how Bruce survived falling from thousands of feet in the sky from that drone.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please somebody make this garbage stop

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@senglord:

I agree. I can't wait til JL gets a new creative team

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with those who currently enjoy the work being done on detective to Zero Year. A stronger editorial hand could reign in Snyder or at least help him better formulate his big ideas so they can better be implemented. I suspect this like other stories has grown and evolved into something bigger than it was meant to be and that is the reason why the back up stories from the first few issues regarding Bruces' training stopped. I can speak for myself and fans I know personally who were very disappointed by that.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this issue was very pretty to look at, but not much happened

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.